PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many people recommend the Unofficial Guide?

MR.MIKE
05-26-2003, 10:51 PM
I bought the Unofficial Guide to walt Disney World because so many people on here say they loved it.

I'm on page 300 (of 700) and get such negative vibes from it.

I'm not looking for hype, we have Birnbaums for that, I just want information presented straight forward.

There seems to be so many negative comments, most of which I don't agree at all with.

A few observations...

I don't think the 2003 edition of a book should be telling you to visit River Country during your break from the MK.

It definately shouldn't be refering to the Poly longhouses by thier old names (see page 119). Didn't they chnage names in 1999?
(it seems a lot of old text has been repeated, which is fine if the info is still true)

They state the resorts have so many "seasons" that is too confusing. I didnt realize 4 seasons were so confusing. (No wonder i see so many people heading to the beach in winter in New York) okay i'll cut the sarcasm but we all know when holiday season is.. if you ask once you know peak is presidents week thru april/easter. The only surprise maybe is that the deluxes have value season in the summer after July 4th.

There are many letters by readers but they all seem to have the same condescending tone as if heavily edited by the same person.....telling how horrible their experiences were and how they should have listened to the book.

It amazes me that so many people who claim to have kids don't know thier young children need to take naps. But everyone who doesnt have them does know this.

They seem to put down so many restaurants ("...remember it is still just buffet food which isn't as good as freshly cooked") even when a glance at the readers rating give it 90% approval.

The advice to take a break midday is good but there is no one who could convince me that you can stay offsite and still be back at your hotel in 20 minutes from the MK. Counting from when you leave the gates I'd think it would take you at least 15 min to get to your room at the GF using the monorail.

They tell you to join the Disney Club ( through your employer...didn't that stop a few years ago...) even though the program has stopped taking new applications as of dec 2002 and the employer part was even before that.

There were quite a few others that i kept bouncing off my wife as i read it.
(they made it seem typical that your rented stroller will be "stolen" 6 times in one day at one park and 5 times a day at another)

My wife seemed as confused as I was the way they described many aspects. There was even profanity used in a letter from a reader.

I'm not even half way through but I woudn't recommend this book. I enjoyed Passporter a great deal more for its information and intercot for its variety.

Any opinions?

[ May 26, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: MR.MIKE ]

Jeff
05-26-2003, 11:04 PM
When we were new to WDW travel the touring guides were lifesavers. Following the guides we walked on rides that had very long waits later in the day. Now that we have been many times we do not need the guides anymore. But for a first time visitor I would still recommend the guides.

I agree with you about the negative food reviews though. I think WDW has some great restaurants with unique dinning experiences. The "Guide" does not give WDW enough credit for it's fine restaurants.

SpiritMeAway
05-26-2003, 11:22 PM
I loved the Unofficial guide when I read it while planning my first really big family trip, back in 1999 - I haven't read it in ages, but I have to say that back then I thought it was great because it didn't read like an advertisement for Disney World - while I felt
Steve Birnbaum's did. And Fodor's didn't have enough info about what to expect at the parks.

Having been to the parks before as a child with my parents (God Love Them) who didn't have a clue, I had to laugh about your comment about parents who don't know their kids need naps. graemlins/sleepin.gif My Dad ran us four girls (ages 4 to 11) and my mom nonstop for the whole 10 days we were in Orlando, in order to get our money's worth - it was horrible and I swore I'd never go again... But going as an adult, better prepared and hopefully a little wiser than my parents,thanks to the book and some common sense, my family had an amazing time. I only wish it had been around for my Dad to read!

While I remember there being a sarcastic slant to the book, I don't recall it being terribly negative - just a little more realistic than some of the other books I'd read. I found it tremendously helpful for that first trip, and have to admit I found quite a bit of humor in it, and thought that alot of it was of the "tongue-in-cheek" sort.

It's too bad that the 2003 edition is so outdated, I can see why you'd wonder about it being so popular. No one feels comfortable reading a guidebook that has information that is no longer valid.

I also like the Passporter, but the Unofficial Guide will always hold a special place on my bookshelf, if only for nostalgic reasons.

I guess so many of us recommend it because we feel it's a good book and has been of value to us, regardless of its faults. Or maybe we're all just a bunch of Dummies....no wait, that's another book altogether! ;)

I guess that's why it's so great that there are so many different types of books, for so many different types of people and personalities! graemlins/mickey.gif

Sue

MR.MIKE
05-27-2003, 01:14 AM
I also enjoyed passporter. So much in fact that i bought this years addition and after going over it decided to go this year.

the sarcastic slant is the first thing i noticed in the Unofficial guide.

thanks

JWDisneyFan
05-27-2003, 06:46 AM
I agree with the negative tone in the guide, but I still like it. I guess what I like so much about it is the people's comments about everything, whether they are positive or negative. I like to hear things from all points of view.

I recently bought the guide again for 2003 after owning the 1999 and 2001 copies. I haven't started to read it yet, but thanks for pointing out all of the "outdated" information.

NJDad
05-27-2003, 06:48 AM
I like it for the tips on how to tour the parks in the most efficient manner. I find there's plenty of positive comments, that a mix of positive and negative comments reflects more accurately what you'll run into at Disney. Also enjoy the breakdowns of how the different age groups enjoy the attractions.

You can find outdated info in most of the guide books-the Unoffical guide is quite ambitious in its coverage. It has to be hard to deal with the ever changing Disney plans-early entry's cancelled-no wait, it's back! type deals.

DisneyJunkie
05-27-2003, 07:27 AM
I recently bought the 2003 editions of both Birnbaum's guidebook and the Unofficial Guide. While both offer a lot of information and helpful tips, I lean more towards the UG simply because, unlike Birnbaum's guide, it's not slanted entirely pro-Disney. It recognizes that some attractions simply aren't worth the time spent in seeing it. I also like the fact that readers have written back in, whether to agree with the authors or to disagree. Reading various viewpoints is something I find helpful. Little things like their recommending River Country or using the old names for the Poly longhouses are something I don't care about because it doesn't make a difference in my trip plans.

marlyn
05-27-2003, 08:56 AM
The first time I went to WDW I bought the Unofficial guide. I had a diverse group, me and my ex in our mid 30's, twins age 5 and my parents in late 60's.
I was so glad I bought this book! WDW is huge and a first timer can be overwhelmed. It helped to be informed so that I could avoid things that would be a waste of time, and know what my plan was before I went!
Of course, now I can get all that info here at INTERCOT! last time I did not have a computer and the book saved the vacation. We had an amazing time....ALL of us!

Ian
05-27-2003, 09:24 AM
I say this in complete honesty ... I have no use for Disney Guidebooks. Any version.

The problem with books in print is this ... Disney is constantly changing. Those books have to be prepared at least 6-12 months prior to printing, which is why you see so much out-of-date information in them. I know how tough it is to keep things current here at Intercot, keeping a guidebook current is impossible.

The whole reason I came looking for a place like this was to replace guidebooks. Only a site like this one can give you the most current info, news, rumors, park hours, and stuff like that.

Why get tied down to something that was created a year ago?

stevelabny
05-27-2003, 09:41 AM
a post i can actually respond to..
i'm going to disneyworld for the first time in 17 years in july. besides nosing around the internet, i also decided to check out some of the guide books. a friend lent me "a complete idiot's guide to walt disney world and orlando" the 1996 version. this was almost completely useless. not because of the year, but also because it spent most of the book talking about orlando and hotels and restaurants.

so i ordered the birnbaum official guide, and the unoffical guide. the birnbaum guide is nothing but fluff. but thats fine, cuz i dont mind hearing "the company line" on their own parks as long as you realise thats what it is. the coupons in the back also help pay for the book (or would pay for it in full if i was actually gonna use half of them )

the unofficial guide though is easily the best guide ive seen. because its over 800 pages long, i dont mind that they spend some time talking about out of wdw hotels and attractions.
their information about attraction content and LINES is invaluable, im sure.and although they have their own OPINION (clearly stated as such) they also print a few reader letters per attraction/hotel/restaurant that agree or tell them why they are wrong. so you do get to see more than just one opinion. there are 4 pages alone devoted to Alien Encounter and if its good and if its scary. MULTIPLE OPINIONS is the best way to to have a guide book. you won't see any negative comments at all in the birnbaum book.

the out-of-date information ISN'T. the book went to press in mid-2002 for an early fall shelf arrival. IT SAYS SO IN THE BOOK. this is the nature of publishing. there is NO WAY for an actual book to be up-to-the-minute like this website. you mention that it suggests river country in one section, but if you were to flip to the river country section it does indeed state the park was closed in 2002 and you should check to see its status.

i also saw the stroller comment, it was a reader letter saying she got her stroller stolen 6 times in one day. they specifically state that this is NOT the usual way of things. that it MIGHT happen once and usually by mistake and not "theft"

as for their admittedly harsh reviews of the restaurants, again they agree with this and they state WHY. the food reviews were done by FOOD-critics. not average park-goers. as a 30 year old single american male i live on fast food and microwave dinners. many park-goers will agree with my food reviews more than a professional food-crtics. BUT the book uses a food-critic and explains why. i will only be eating burgers while i'm there (being from NYC i cant eat what other people pass off as pizza anywhere else) and will just go by the readers comments on what makes a good burger.

i was amazed by the letters they printed with readers calling htem too negative. just because they tell things like they are and state their opinions doesnt mean the whole book is negative. especially since they almost always have the other side presented immediately following.

is it perfect? no but the unofficial guide definitely gets the best possible review i can give it.

steve

CousinLouie
05-27-2003, 11:17 AM
Mr. Mike,

Like many others, I got hooked on the Unofficial Guide many years ago. Back in 1990, I traveled with a bunch of 20-something friends in mid-August. On the plane, I worked out a detailed itinerary based on the UG Touring Plans. I caught tons of backlash because no one wanted to have their vacation planned to each passing minute. I tried to explain the vastness of the parks, but to many of the Disney Virgins it did not make sense.

So, I made a deal: "Just follow me for 1/2 day using one of my itineraries; if it seems too over-the-top, we'll just wing it the rest of the way." This was a big gamble on my part, since I hadn't been to Disney since '76 - but the book just made so much sense to me, I was convinced.

So, our first day in the parks was Magic Kingdom. We followed the touring plan to the letter. By 11:00, we had seen most of the major attractions in a very crowded park, with the longest wait being no more than 10 minutes. I can still picture in my mind's eye the collective looks on our group's faces as we would walk out of an attraction, having waited 5 minutes in line, and glance back at a line that had grown to 20-45 minutes in length - no lie! :cool: Also, by mid-day, we were experiencing mostly indoor, air-conditioned attractions (as designed by the UG touring plans), while the majority of Disney-goers were baking in the August sun. :mad:

Needless to say, the taunting stopped, and I then became the focal point of the trip, with everyone eagerly looking at the itinerary for their next adventure. I was elevated to WDW God! graemlins/notworthy.gif

Since that time, we have relied on the Unofficial Guide every trip. While certainly pragmatic (I would not necessarily extend the tone to "negative"), I can tell you that it is an invaluable tool to planning a Disney Vacation, especially in the parks. I'll wager you this: one single day following the Touring Plans, and you'll be converted.

I do agree with you though on Passporter. This is an excellent tool as well, and is the Guide Book we carry with us everywhere in WDW. We use the UG to come up with an itinerary, and Passporter to do the detailed planning, and to stay organized while we're there. Sorry for the long-winded response, but I'm a fanatic on planning properly for a Disney Vacation! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Beast_fanatic
05-27-2003, 11:49 AM
I don't have an opinion on the UG since I haven't had one for MANY years, but I did want to comment that Passporter probably goes to print later than any other guidebook out there, and they make supplements available from their web-site as information changes. So, I think it is about as close as a guidebook can get to being up-to-date throughout the year. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Tebbie
05-27-2003, 01:27 PM
I always read thru the Unofficial Guide,, as it's very informative, and pretty unbiased. It can be a little overly negitive, but you have to take it with grain of salt. I have to say tho, it's kept me out of the Nine Dragons restaurant :lol

[ May 27, 2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Tebbie ]

Piglet822
05-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by MR.MIKE:

I didnt realize 4 seasons were so confusing. (No wonder i see so many people heading to the beach in winter in New York) That would be the Polar Bear Club. They do it every year graemlins/rotfl.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist. I've never seen the book you're referring to but up to date information is always a nice thing.
I always want straight forward info also but I think negativity is not necessary. But that's what we're here for at Intercot smile.gif You can always bring one of us along on your vactation to answer your questions and help out ;)

WhiteRose1
05-27-2003, 02:09 PM
I dislike any book because the info can not be kept totally current. I found the internet sites like this one are the best way to get opinions and up to date information.

Also, I totally am in love with tour guide mike's website. You can search for it on google. He was a cast member who runs tours in his own private company and has a wonderful website with excellent up to date info *AND* feedback. He also does not give the 'happy-happy-joy-joy' line of some 'offical' books.

Trust me, check it out.....I really am glad I got access to his site because after reading the guide books in the store, none of them could ever compete with a website.

WR/Pam

DisneyDudet
05-27-2003, 02:27 PM
I don't mind the UG at all. Even tho they are behind in a lot of info, so is everyone else, even Intercot and other websites I access that are updated everyday! Like said before, Disney changes.

As for negative comments, these people go every year and know disney by heart. They aren't saying not to do certain things but give their opinion and thats what you by the book for. I never buy a guidebook unless I read at least 5 pages about every park. Then I know what I'm getting into. I like the opinion because I can try them out and prove them wrong or right, thats just me.

I haven't tried Passporter and don't know where to look for it, can someone help w/ that?

Birnbaum's is just a Disney video on paper. It tells you the "well duh" stuff and doesnt' really help us, seeing as we know most of it anyway.

All in all, I would say that you will probably be able to find the same opinions here on Intercot that you have read in UG, but you don't stop coming here do you?

šoš DisneyDudet

MR.MIKE
05-27-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by stevelabny:

the out-of-date information ISN'T. the book went to press in mid-2002 for an early fall shelf arrival. IT SAYS SO IN THE BOOK. this is the nature of publishing.
steve [/QB]If a book goes to press in mid 2002 for an early fall shelf arrival then it shouldn't be called the 2003 edition.

Passporter 2003 wasn't released until jan/feb 2003 and as such contains much more accurate and up to date information and gives a website for updates.

Even if the Guide does mention later on to check about river country, it still doesn't change the fact the earlier pages have not been updated.
There's also no excuse to have the old Poly longhouse names used when they changed 3 years before the book went to press.

Regarding the strollers; the book states.."Sometimes, however, strollers are taken by mistake or ripped off by people not wanting to spend time replacing one that's missing"

If the event of having your stroller taken 5 times on one day and 6 on another is so rare ( and i'm sure it is and don't believe this happened) then that example should't be the only readers comment used regarding missing strollers. Since it is the only one used i can hear first timers saying.." Hey..watch your stroller.. they get stollen multiple times a day here."

Again i'm only half way through the book and will either probably find more examples like this
or find the book more balanced and less sarcastic. We'll see.

I would guess this book would be good for someone who has absolutely no clue what to expect but then again I wouldn't be surprised to find them turned off from many things...dinners, rides, resorts even...

I believe Passporter is a much better guide book for the first timer and then of course Intercot and in the internet is the way to go to keep updated.

mike

the mudgie
05-27-2003, 04:11 PM
We had thought about getting the UG, jsut for the information on lines and such. Roughly, what is the cost of this book? Thanks.

MR.MIKE
05-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by CousinLouie:

So, I made a deal: "Just follow me for 1/2 day using one of my itineraries; if it seems too over-the-top, we'll just wing it the rest of the way." So, our first day in the parks was Magic Kingdom. We followed the touring plan to the letter. By 11:00, we had seen most of the major attractions in a very crowded park, with the longest wait being no more than 10 minutes.
CousinLouie, I never mentioned the touring plans because I dont use them. We have 2 kids and stay on site. Our plan is easy and works for us. We go very early usually with a yummy character breakfast at the Crystal Palace and then see what we want until 12 or so when it gets crowded and we head back to the resort. That works well for us so I didn't comment on the touring plans.

Thanks for letting me know how well they work...i'll keep them in mind. smile.gif

MR.MIKE
05-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Piglet822:

[QUOTE] That would be the Polar Bear Club. They do it every year graemlins/rotfl.gif
graemlins/laughing.gif Thanks for the laugh. You know every winter here the local news and the newspapers report this story as if it was new. And every year we say " these guys still haven't figured out how cold it is". graemlins/laughing.gif It's like sweeps month when they have a special report on how dirty your local supermarkert is. :eek:

Beast_fanatic
05-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by the mudgie:
We had thought about getting the UG, jsut for the information on lines and such. Roughly, what is the cost of this book? Thanks. Through the Intercot store (http://www.intercot.com/store/books/default.asp) they run less than $12, and appropriate additional purchases can earn free shipping too.

MR.MIKE
05-27-2003, 04:26 PM
I guess i should have read everything before responding.... :D

Originally posted by DisneyDudet:
I haven't tried Passporter and don't know where to look for it, can someone help w/ that?
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Just add a dot com to the name and you'll find some info on it.

All in all, I would say that you will probably be able to find the same opinions here on Intercot that you have read in UG, but you don't stop coming here do you?

šoš DisneyDudet [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]
I love intercot for that exact reason but everyone who posts here seems very articulate without being sarcastic. Thats why i love this site.

disney98
05-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Just a note about the UG. I recently purchased it as I always do a TON of research before a trip. I happened to find it VERY useful. I'm looking to get ALL the info on Disney that I can, and from there I can be the judge. As far as the stroller comment, that's not mentioned in Birnbaum's guide and having two young children, it's a point taken for me. It might not happen to me, but at least I am aware that it has happened and will take precautions to prevent it. I think, as with any information, not all opinions or suggestions will work for you. But I like hearing other people's experiences b/c they are "real". Believe it or not, as much as you would like to believe it, Disney is not perfect. I've used the Birnbaum's guide and although useful from the Disney view, I also like to hear other views both good and bad. I feel it makes me more informed. I will agree that some of the information is outdated, but so be it. Sometimes you can't help that. That's when you can turn to the internet for your info. As far as the Passporter, it was in my local Barnes and Nobles for about $25 and although looked informative, had a lot of writing/memory sections which although can be useful, wasn't what I was looking for. I guess all I'm trying to say, is everyone processes info differently, if the UG isn't for you, then stop reading it since it's upsetting you. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time at WDW. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

arielwannabe
05-27-2003, 05:25 PM
I hated this book. I thought everything the writer/editor said was negative. The only restaurants that got a good rating from him were ones I couldn't afford and wouldn't take a 1 year old to. I agree, this book is highly overrated.

Carrousel Lover
05-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by CousinLouie:
Since that time, we have relied on the Unofficial Guide every trip. While certainly pragmatic (I would not necessarily extend the tone to "negative"), I can tell you that it is an invaluable tool to planning a Disney Vacation, especially in the parks. I'll wager you this: one single day following the Touring Plans, and you'll be converted.

I do agree with you though on Passporter. This is an excellent tool as well, and is the Guide Book we carry with us everywhere in WDW. We use the UG to come up with an itinerary, and Passporter to do the detailed planning, and to stay organized while we're there. Sorry for the long-winded response, but I'm a fanatic on planning properly for a Disney Vacation! graemlins/thumbsup.gif I agree with you 100%. I always purchase the Unofficial Guide AND Passporter. They are invaluable tools to me. The UG is the best itinerary research tool that I found. For years I followed the book and had no issues with lines. Recently I was trying to mend my commando ways and wondered whether leisure touring was possible with the UG. I recently have been researching the touring software at touringplans.com recommended in unofficial guide. Also I found updates to the guide on this site as well. I am planning to try it on a plan where I don't go into the park on an EE or in the middle of the day etc. The Passporter is a totally different guide. I do think it is a very special guide and no one can beat Passpockets!! To me, it's like comparing apples to oranges. I think they are great companions to each other. I use them very much the same way CousinLouie does. I couldn't plan without the UG. It's direct and probably irreverant but that doesn't mean that they don't care about Disney - it's just a direct, in your face reality of the parks. It may be daunting but it's a good prep for someone who has never gone or ideas for others. I like that there is feedback from many people. I don't need to agree with the opinions but it's great to see another idea. I recently gave both guides to a friend who is going in July with his family. The information in both is invaluable to him.

Editor's note: removed the link per the INTERCOT terms of service

[ May 27, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Beast_fanatic ]

TiggerRPh
05-27-2003, 11:41 PM
We bought the Unofficial Guide a couple of times and we didn't care for the negativity either and I found the book poorly updated from one year to the next.

NJDad
05-28-2003, 07:24 AM
I had a similar experience, twice actually, with family who scoffed at the expertise imparted by the UG who realized that short waits and planning were better than 'playing by ear' and standing in line all day. Last trip they kept saying "We'd do about 3 things all day if it wasn't for you (meaning the UG readers)."

I don't think any guide book is worth buying again for at least 3 years after the last edition-I know things change but do they really change that much? That's what Intercot is for-learning what's changed since last time!

Black Jack Shallack form Frontenac
05-28-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by MR.MIKE:
...If a book goes to press in mid 2002
for an early fall shelf arrival
then it shouldn't be called the 2003 edition...
How about card that come out in the summer
of 2003 and are called 2004 editions?

If someone wants to go in January of 2004,
you could never convice them to buy a book
dated 2003, but if someone goes in December 2003,
they will gladly buy the 2004 edition.

MR.MIKE
05-28-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Black Jack Shallack form Frontenac:

If someone wants to go in January of 2004,
you could never convice them to buy a book
dated 2003, but if someone goes in December 2003,
they will gladly buy the 2004 edition. [/QB]I understand the reason why they list it as a 2003 edition. To make money by keeping it on the shelf longer. Magazines used to do the same thing with monthly issues.

Maybe they should write "2002/2003" on it.

To look at it another way.. it is the end of may....right now they are getting ready to print thier 2004 edition

Black Jack Shallack form Frontenac
05-29-2003, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know if the touring plans take into
account the Fast Pass system?

What I mean by that is, does it say;
"Leave attraction X,
ang go towards attraction Z,
but don't forget to get a fast Pass
for attraction Y on the way"

SingingPixie
05-29-2003, 05:46 PM
The UG plans do include Fastpass for some attractions, but make the point that often hitting certain attractions at the right time can be faster than using fastpass. It comes across as sort of an alternative, or something to use if you get off-track.

ChipnDaleGal
05-30-2003, 11:02 AM
I happen to be a big fan of the UG books. I appreciate the fact that is isn't a big sugar coated advertisement for WDW. It gives a pretty fair picture of WDW, warts and all. I also think it has a lot of tongue in cheek sarcasm, but I find that funny. Before I discovered Intercot, I relied a lot more on my guide books. I would read and re-read them to help pass time between trips. It would give me a little Disney fix when I needed it. Now I use Intercot for that and the guidebooks are less important to me. But I still think they are a valueable tool for beginners. It helps so much to have a little familiarity and some plans before you get in the parks. It is so overwhelming the first visit. I would still highly recommend the UG to anyone looking for info in a guidebook form. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Impostor
05-30-2003, 05:49 PM
See, I just bought the small version of the UG. I too thought the plans they have for doing the parks seemed like "over-planning".

But if you guys are saying it really works, then I guess I will have to try it. I'm kind of controlling :D , but I guess I will have to let go.

You guys that have used it swear by it eh?

Jeff
05-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Impostor:
See, I just bought the small version of the UG. I too thought the plans they have for doing the parks seemed like "over-planning".

But if you guys are saying it really works, then I guess I will have to try it. I'm kind of controlling :D , but I guess I will have to let go.

You guys that have used it swear by it eh? Yes. I would "swear by it". On our first visit to WDW I also feared it was overplanning but my DW insisted we give it a try. For the first hour or so I was kind of a turd about it and fought her plan. However, it became apparent rather quickly that the plan was working very well. I changed my "you can't plan a vacation" thinking and followed along willingly after that.

NJDad
05-31-2003, 07:26 AM
Some complain about the amount of walking involved in the plans. I find that standing in line hurts my feet more than walking, so I follow the plans.