PDA

View Full Version : PREGNANT AND WDW??

minnie mia
05-29-2003, 02:24 PM
Hi!! We're going in 16 days (WHIPEEEEEEEE!!) and I'm 3 months pregnant. Any words of advice? Can I go on the mild rides like Pirates, Mr. Toad's, etc.? I know I should keep well hydrated...can I get ice water for free, or will they charge me?
My dh has never been to Orlando at all and I haven't been since 1983...we're soooo excited!! We're going w/ our 17 month old and staying at AKL.
Christy

larrybob
05-29-2003, 02:46 PM
There are lots of rides you can go on. My wife has been to WDW twice while pregnant. She got kind of tired walking so much at times, but handled it pretty well. You can't go on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride though because it doesn't exist anymore! graemlins/shakehead.gif

Take bottled water with you. When empty, you can refill them at water fountains in the parks. Listening to 'Tomorrow's Child' in Spaceship Earth while my wife was pregnant was pretty cool, I thought.

[ May 29, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: larrybob ]

arielwannabe
05-29-2003, 02:53 PM
We went when I was 4 months pregnant. Here's what I rode, per park:
MK: Railroad, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, LB Riverboat, Small World, Carousel, TTA.
EPCOT: O' Canada show, Mexico ride.
Nothing in MGM or AK.

I still had a wonderful time even though I didn't ride much. However, I went in December and the weather was very mild and low crowds. Make sure you have comfy shoes and lots of water. Take breaks when you need to and try to go at a slow pace. I know you probably aren't feeling much (morning sickness, tiredness, nausue ) right now, but too much exertion in the Fl heat will get to you. Enjoy your pool and the AKL. It is absolutely beautiful there.

locodemickey
05-29-2003, 03:06 PM
I went when I was 5 mos. pregnant. I had a great time although I despretely love the rides like TOT and RNRR so I missed those. But I did go on Pirates and other mild rides. I found that people were also very kind in giving up their seats on the busses and at attractions. You're only 3 months though so they probably won't know that you're pregnant. Have a great time. We'll be there on the 16th of June. I can't wait graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/clappy.gif :D

Beach Club Babe
05-29-2003, 07:06 PM
These are the only rides I avoided last summer at 5 months pregnant.

MK
1. Space Mt.
2. Alien Encounter
3. Tomorrowland Speedway
4. Mad Tea Party
5. Splash Mt.
6. Big Thunder

Epcot
1. Test Track
2. Body Wars

MGM
1. Tower of Terror
2. Rock 'n Rollercoaster
3. Star Tours

AK
1. Kali River Rapids
2. Primevil Whirl
3. Dinosaur

mjstaceyuofm
05-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Beach Club Babe has it... We went when my wife was 7 mos pregnant, :eek: avoided the rides BCB mentioned and had a great time. For some reason, they tell pregnant women not to ride on Kilamanjaro Safaris because the bumps may sometimes trigger things for those that are prone to those sorts of things when pregnant. She rode it and had no problems....

WDW crazy
05-30-2003, 07:14 AM
Just a quick question. Why should a pregnant woman avoid Alien Encounter? There is nothing that would hurt her in there!
All women are different in their pregnancies. When I was about 3 mo. pregnant we went to Disneyland, this trip had been planned for a long time and surprise I found out I was pregnant. I wanted to go on Big Thunder Mt. Railroad so bad. I talked to my doctor and he said at that stage I could go on it because the baby is very small and well padded. When my daughter was 7 weeks pregnant she went to WDW. Her doctor told her she could go on all the rides, same reasons as my doctor told me. The baby was the size of a grain of rice and had padding. She went on TOT! However you should always check with your doctor and pay attention to your body and how you feel. Most people choose not to go on these rides but when your in the first trimester the baby is so small that it wouldn't bother it unless you were already having problems, in which case you probably wouldn't be at WDW. The doctor told my daughter that if something were to happen to the baby after she went on the rides, it most likely would have happened anyway! Just go on whatever you feel comfortable doing and you and your husband have a great time!

holbear
05-30-2003, 09:24 AM
I've been when I was 3 months pregnant, and with a 22 month old toddler. The hardest thing for me was keeping up with my son. He was at the stage where he wanted to walk everywhere, forget the stroller, but got overtired quickly that way. It was fun, but was tiring. I didn't go on rides like Space Mountain, but did most the other ones people mentioned. I think it depends on how squeemish you feel. I could handle jerks, but not long drops. But, I won't step near TOT ever anyway. ;)

[ May 30, 2003, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: holbear ]

dsapp25
05-30-2003, 10:06 AM
You can ask for ice water at about any refreshment stand or restaurant...and it's free! Sure beats the icky fountain water.

NJDad
05-31-2003, 07:23 AM
Sidebar story:

With my sister a few years back. Watching the Little Mermaid show.

She says to our mom "I got kicked!"

Mom turns to glare at whoever did it behind us.

She says, "No, from inside!"

(Her first felt kick.)

faline
05-31-2003, 03:56 PM
Cute story! Thanks for sharing!

minnie mia
06-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the great advice!! I'm feeling pretty good (especially since we go on the 14th!! graemlins/clappy.gif
I plan on doing what I can and having an awesome time w/ dh and dd!! I just can't wait to get away and discover everything together for the 1st time!! graemlins/mickey.gif
I plan on taking my bigger stroller so my 17 month dd can recline and sleep, use the basket for all our goodies and the cup holders for drinks! Whipeeeeeeeeee!! :D
Christy

Beach Club Babe
06-03-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by WDW crazy:
Just a quick question. Why should a pregnant woman avoid Alien Encounter? There is nothing that would hurt her in there!
No, but as you get bigger, the harness may be uncomfortable and/or too tight.

Pooh Crew
06-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Sounds like you have the right attitude Minnie Mia. Just focus on all the fun things you're able to do, take it easy, and enjoy! DW has been down twice while expecting and there's plenty to keep you as busy as you'll want to be. Plus you'll get to experience your families excitement and wonder graemlins/clappy.gif .

epcotluver
06-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Hi!
We went twice last year; once when I was three months pregnant and once when I was seven. :eek: The only other things I would add are: 1) the watermice can be quite bumpy and I did have some problems because of them at three months 2) it was very helpful for me to have some crackers tucked away in a bag while I was there, not so much for morning sickness but for refueling purposes without searching for park food that appealed to me at that exact moment! 3) Have fun, I had the best trips ever to Disney while I was pregnant. Good luck smile.gif

[ June 04, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: epcotluver ]