PDA

View Full Version : Traffic on Marathon day

UNH fan
09-02-2001, 12:09 PM
I currently have reservations at Shades of Green from 12/30/01 to 1/5/02. I was thinking of adding an extra day at WDW and check out on 1/6/02 - the day of the WDW Marathon. Does the marathon interfere with traffic going in and out of the resort area? I don't want to be caught in a tie up since we'll be leaving the World around 1000. I'd appreciate any info!

Thanks!

runmickeyrun
09-02-2001, 12:33 PM
You will not have any problem leaving around 10am. The marathon starts at 0600 and the traffic tie up is when the runners are arriving around 4-5am.

------------------
runmickeyrun

Mom of 5
09-02-2001, 10:53 PM
We just found out we're beginning our stay on the marathon day itself (1/6).

The sports site says the marathon hits all four parks. CRO said that it just does the parking areas, and wouldn't be a detraction from any of the park visits, but has anyone actually been in the parks during the marathon?

Thanks.

------------------

DisneyRN
09-03-2001, 03:29 AM
We arrived on our honeymoon on the marathon day. I saw where cones marked the course, but never saw any traffic tie ups. I was afraid it would be a big inconvenience, but it was never a problem. It did seem a bit more crowded on that day at our resort(lots of people walking around wearing the race medals), but this was also on a weekend...it cleared up by the next morning.

------------------
By the way, my name is Mary

"It's a great big beautiful tomorrow..."

"You want to go to Disney World again? But we just went there last year!" (Direct quote from my dear husband)

Off site-August'89
CS-'00 January Honeymoon
Offsite-'01 March
Next Visit- '01 December @ WL for 10 glorious X-Mas Days!

UNH fan
09-03-2001, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the information. My Mom is traveling with us and it's her birthday Jan. 5. I really wanted to stay another day to celebrate with her at the World!

------------------

runmickeyrun
09-04-2001, 09:16 AM
This will be the 4th year that I have run the marathon. It starts at 6am. The course goes as follows...Epcot, Mk, Ak, MGM, and ends back at epcot. The majority of the race is on the road, but it does run through small sections of all the parks. It will not interfere with your trip inside the parks.There are spectators at various points to cheer on the runners.If you should see some of the marathon I think you will be inspired..

------------------
runmickeyrun

Mom of 5
09-04-2001, 03:25 PM
Thanks, runmickeyrun, for the reassurance.

Best wishes in your running...

------------------

RannXerox
09-04-2001, 08:58 PM
Yea, my father-in-law ran this for a few years. Marathoners are a strange breed, that’s for sure. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
Rann Xerox

Dixie Landings (before saying Dixie was not PC)
Port Orleans (my Fav. Mod.)
Coronado Springs
Wilderness Lodge
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Next up: Polynesian!