Jeannine

*****Remember the Magic*****

May 1997 (Engaged!)
October 1999 (ASMusic & CBR)
September 2000 (WL)
December 2001 (AKL)

SteveL
08-14-2001, 08:53 PM
Water mice are very small motor boats that can be rented at resort marinas and also at Downtown Disney for approximately $18/half hour. They are a lot of fun, especially for teens. To my knowledge, you cannot fish from them.

------------------
SteveL
Intercot Staff Member
[email protected]

Personal hero: Jethro Bodine

tnemgif
08-15-2001, 01:29 PM
They used to (in the 70s)let you take these out on Lake Buena Vista and my sister and I got in trouble for trying to jump the wakes from the ferry boats. I think that's one of the reasons you cant rent them from there any more. Oh well. They are almost as fun as Jet Skis. Unless they have a governer on them now too.

Rachel
08-15-2001, 05:04 PM
I have also found that the most scenic place to drive the water mice is on Bay Lake. You can view the Poly, GF, Contemporary, WL and MK. I was able to get some great pictures last time. Maybe it's just my imagination, but the boats there also seem to go faster than the ones at the other resorts. I find renting the water mice also makes for a nice afternoon break during a MK day. Have fun! http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------

funwred
08-15-2001, 06:26 PM
We stayed at the Poly a few years ago. We decided to do this after an early entry morning at MK and a meltdown by 11:30 by my son...so to relax a bit, we headed back to the hotel, grabbed our suits and went over to the marina there. The boats are really cute. You can go all over the Seven Seas Lagoon. Not sure on the exact speed, but enough to blow the hat off my head. The boats are 2 seaters. Make sure you bring a towel with you to cover your legs so you don't get burned - hot out there on the lake. Anyway, I can't remember the exact amount, but it was like $15 for half an hour. We also had an American Express and if you show that, then you get an extra discount. From what I've been reading, the boats are available at Polynesian, Coronado Springs, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Carribean Beach and Cap n' Jacks in Downtown Disney. They are a great way to get a way from the other crowds and just relax a bit in nature. Hope this helps you out!!!

------------------
Nan
Coronado Spgs.- Sept.2001
Poly/Disney Magic - 99
Fort Wilderness -Long Ago
Kississmee - Long Ago

ParisRain
08-15-2001, 09:35 PM
Ooh ooh! Good Q! I've never done the water mouse thing but we're staying at WL and will try 'em in Jan 2002. We were wondering how big they are. Read in a guide that you can fit two people in them but it's not advisable? Not as much fun or something like that. Is this true?

------------------
1977: Disneyland
1996: WDW ~ CBR
2000: WDW ~ PO
2002: WDW ~ WL (January)

morphi
08-16-2001, 12:48 AM
I did the water mouse thing last February on Bay Lake from Fort Wilderness. I wouldn't recommend two adults in one boat though. Maybe an adult and one child. I went with my 3 year old. I'm a big guy (6' 2" and 2## pounds) and I couldn't really fit that well. Not very much leg room. Also, my boat did not go fast at all. I actually went back to the dock and had the attendant test drive it to see if something was wrong. There wasn't. Seems that they go faster if the weight is centered (front-to-back) in the boat. With my long legs, I was forced to lean back which made the boat back-heavy.

------------------

Jeannine
08-16-2001, 08:42 AM
So, does this mean that my hubby and I cam't go together in one?

------------------
Jeannine

*****Remember the Magic*****

May 1997 (Engaged!)
October 1999 (ASMusic & CBR)
September 2000 (WL)
December 2001 (AKL)

ParisRain
08-16-2001, 10:08 AM
Hmm... That's what I was wondering too. There are diff boats to rent - pontoons and something else. They're more costly though. I'm not really interested in speed or "hopping waves" - I want more of a romantic, relaxing ride around to see the resorts and stuff. I wonder what the pontoons are like...

------------------
1977: Disneyland
1996: WDW ~ CBR
2000: WDW ~ PO
2002: WDW ~ WL (January)

burgirl
08-16-2001, 04:58 PM
Your water mouse will go slow the "heavier" it is. Two adults is not only a tight squeeze in the boat (especially once you have a life jacket on) but the boat will go very very slow.

A small child and adult is the best way to do a two-person trip.

Water Mice aren't really romantic anyhow. These things are meant for speed.

It is a great way to spend an hour or so and a wonderful way to see the resorts on the lagoon. I always rent from The Grand Floridian - cause the guys there are so cute http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
WDW: 91, 96, 00, 02(?), 03

Performance times, operating hours, rehab, etc. information I post is subject to change without notice and may not appear on Disney.com

DisneyAtlanta
08-16-2001, 05:01 PM
I was thinking the weight limit was 300 lbs., so that's like a person and a half. When I rode, I rode alone, and sometimes I'd shift to the left or right, the boat would definetly tilt that way, so it is best to have one person centered. At first, it feels like your flying and you could flip over after hitting a wake, but you get used to it. I remeber the part that takes the biggest chunk out of your venture is if you want to go from Bay Lake to Seven Seas, you have to go over that bring near the Contemporary and you can't have any wake, so you go about five miles per hour and it takes for ever.

They are fun (especially with cast discount of half off).

------------------
"My hope and prayer is that the sacrifices borne by so many will spawn and fulfill the promise of our new nation."
-Benjamin Martin
"The Patriot"

Alumni of the Walt Disney World College Program. Jan - May, 2001
Disney's Wide World of Sports

threedogs
08-17-2001, 10:12 AM
RENT THE WATER MICE! It's fun. Last year my husband and I rented them from Wilderness Lodge. We buzzed around the lake for an hour (which was a little long, half an hour would have been long enough). It was one of the highlights of our vacation...and my husband already said we are definately renting them when we go back this year!

It will be much more fun if you each have your own boat.

------------------

[This message has been edited by threedogs (edited August 17, 2001).]