PDA

View Full Version : Eyeglasses?

joekrocker
05-11-2002, 04:54 PM
I am so excited!!! We leave for WDW in 33 days for my second time and the first time for my wife and two daughters. graemlins/clappy.gif :cool:

My question is...Do we need to take glasses straps for some of the rides and water parks?
We are all four-eyes!!!! :confused: :D graemlins/silly.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/thedolls.gif

P.S. We love these little Gaemlins!!!

Imalismom
05-11-2002, 05:39 PM
I would, just in case, or be prepared to take off your glasses on some rides and tuck them away.

TiggerRPh
05-11-2002, 05:47 PM
It probably wouldn't hurt....I personally have not had a problem with my glasses. Before we leave, I always get my glasses adjusted so they fit snuggly.

:cool:

Dizneyana
05-11-2002, 06:28 PM
Four eyes of the world unite!!! :cool:

If you are concerned about losing them, the glasses holders would be good... graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I personally would not want to take mine off, since I am so blind, I would not be able to see, therefore not enjoying the ride... graemlins/mixed.gif

I have never experienced a feeling of them going to fall off, and what Ray suggested about an adjustment is a great idea!!

Good luck, and have a GREAT time!! graemlins/mickey.gif

GrandFlo
05-11-2002, 08:44 PM
I'd get the straps just to be safe. I have never lost a pair of glasses ever, not even on a ride. But my DH is another story, he has lost a pair on every trip!

Jared
05-11-2002, 10:39 PM
I too have never had a problem with my glasses falling off, by I usually do take them off on some of the more intense rides, especially one like Space Mountain, where this is nothing to see anyway. If you are worried about losing yours, straps, or an adjustment at LensCrafters would be fine.

JenniBarra
05-15-2002, 07:15 PM
I also agree that you should go ahead and bring a strap - better to not have to worry about it! The idea of having your glasses tightened is probably a good one, too, as, once in wiping my glasses off after being on Splash at DL, I lost one of my screws!

wdw538884
05-16-2002, 03:09 AM
Straps are a great idea. I lost my glasses at Typhoon Lagoon when I fell in the water in the lazy river and the water current quickly started to wash them away, I was able to catch them but it did take awhile since the water current is strong. Always better to be safe than sorry. Hve a great trip. 5 days left til i go back. Have a great trip graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

ScottHeine
05-16-2002, 09:08 AM
Same Subject, Different Question...

As a frustrated four-eyes myself (I hate wearing glasses!), I already have a strap ready to go with us to WDW in September. Just imagine how badly the day would be ruined if they fell off or were lost! Ugh!

My struggle is more in the area of sunglasses. Living in Arizona, sunglasses are an absolute must (it's sunny 359 days per year on average here). So I have a pair of perscription sunglasses in a case in the car, and I simply switch pairs when I'm going to be outside or driving.

But in a place like WDW -- Hmmm. I'd rather not lug around the second pair all day, and find myself switching glasses so often with all the inside-and-outside switching I anticipate at the park. I'm also not a fan of those little clip-on sunglasses, because I find them uncomfortable and I've seen how they can scratch lenses too easily. There are always those oversize dark shades that a lot of seniors in our area wear over their glasses, but I find those both heavy (wearing 2 pairs of glasses at the same time, essentially) and... well... fashionably taboo. :cool: And I absolutely refuse those lenses that turn dark out in the sun, and supposedly fade back to normal indoors -- I had a pair of those once, and the change time once inside takes longer than they advertise, leaving me feeling blind for several minutes.

SO... Has anyone out there discovered the magic solution? I'd love to get a pair of glasses whose frame was designed to have a sunglass snap on option or something else without looking too dorky. Or... Hmm... I don't know. Any ideas?

-- Scott

P.S. A good friend of ours works in America's leading eye surgery clinic here in Phoenix, and keeps trying to talk me into just getting my eyes corrected and ditching the glasses altogether. I told her we had to choose between the surgery this year or our first WDW trip. Guess which won? ;)

pjbs35a
05-16-2002, 09:44 AM
You can never be too careful! (http://www.helmetharbor.com/smith/smith_opening.htm)

:D

roadplayr
05-16-2002, 09:45 AM
Another one here who has had no trouble with glasses falling off; but I have to admit sometimes I'm a little nervous. Bring the straps. smile.gif

Sunglasses - not too many options there. I think just try and find a pair of clip-ons that your comfortable with.

DisneyDog
05-16-2002, 02:46 PM
I would definitely bring the eyeglass straps. When I was a kid, I went on a roller coaster with my dad at Great Adventure in NJ. In the middle of the ride, I lifted up my hand, and accidentally knocked his glasses off of his face! He couldn't see to drive home!! I haven't been on a roller coaster since that day graemlins/blush.gif

Bouncy
05-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Another 4-Eyes here....

I've ridden everything but RNRC & TOT with my glasses on, and have never had a problem... I'm in that group who can't see anything without my glasses. I've done Space Mountain and BTMR without a problem.

As for the sunglasses, I've had the same problem. After several trips to WDW and doing the "switch" thing between regular glasses and sunglasses, I discovered those straps to hang your glasses on and I love them. I have two straps, one for each pair of glasses. When I go in and out of the sun, I just switch and let the other pair hang.

Just my 2 cents...

JenniBarra
05-18-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by ScottHeine:
Same Subject, Different Question...

SO... Has anyone out there discovered the magic solution? I'd love to get a pair of glasses whose frame was designed to have a sunglass snap on option or something else without looking too dorky. Or... Hmm... I don't know. Any ideas?
Get the glasses with the frame designed with a sunglass snap. I have tried Transitions lenses, but they don't get dark enough for me and my light sensitivity. I used to have prescription pair of sunglasses, but the switching back and forth got tiresome. Anyhow, a couple years ago, I tried a frame that comes with its own sunglass clip and it's been wonderful! Once you get the hang of it, they're very easy to pop on and off.