PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to Surprise Kids with trip to DW

wacky4disney
10-03-2001, 07:43 PM
We are planning on going to FW next month but have told our kids (ages 15, 13, 10) that we are camping in South Carolina at a big camping resort there. We are driving from NJ and are stopping halfway overnight and that morning were planning on telling the kids that we are not going to SC but to Disney World. Does anyone have any really neat ideas or ways we can tell them? I've thought of a scavenger hunt with hints (but that'd take too long since we have 8 more hours to drive), riddles but can't come up with any. Anyone really creative in this department? I sure am not! Thanks for any help!

------------------
2/78
6/78
10/82
2/88
2/90
10/93
3/95

MORTIMER
10-03-2001, 08:00 PM
I think you should wait until you are in the car and pretend like you missed your exit. One of you can then casually mention that you might as well continue on to Florida instead of turning around. I would drag out the conversation for a while and act like you are really considering it before finally telling them the truth.

------------------
Sept '99
Sept '00
May '01
Next trip - Dec '01

goofgal
10-03-2001, 08:15 PM
How about getting a toddler's puzzle related to WDW (Mickey Mouse or something along those lines). One of those 12 to 20 piece ones. Divide the pieces evenly and put them in 3 envelopes. During breakfast, give each kid an envelope and tell them to work the puzzle and guess the meaning.

------------------
Karen

MORTIMER
10-03-2001, 08:46 PM
I like goofgal's suggestion better than my own. Maybe gift out one piece at a time as they answer some form of trivia question.

------------------
Sept '99
Sept '00
May '01
Next trip - Dec '01

Ian
10-03-2001, 11:00 PM
I don't have any kids or any ideas but I just wanted to say that I think it's totally cool!

I wish my parents would have done this for me when I was little.

------------------
Ian: aka WDWacky, aka Iam, aka The Fish Phobe
Intercot (http://www.intercot.com) Moderator - Collectables (http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Disney+Collectables,+Toys+|AMP|+Goodies&number=19&DaysPrune=30&LastLogin=), Disney Pins (http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Disney+Pins&number=22&DaysPrune=30&LastLogin=), and Mousellaneous (http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Mousellaneous&number=9&DaysPrune=30&LastLogin=)
[email protected]

"Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done." - President George W. Bush, 9/20/2001

We go on...to the joy and through the tears
We go on...to discover new frontiers
Moving on...with the courage of the years
We go on...moving forward now as one
We go on...with a spirit born to run
Moving on...with each rising sun to a new day...

tdelano
10-04-2001, 06:50 PM
I too am trying to think of a neat way to surprise my kids with a trip at Christmas time. I had thought of wrapping up the tickets, but I think the puzzle idea is excellent!! Of course, it depends on me being able to keep the secret that long... I am about ready to BURST!!!
Thanks for a great idea!

------------------

wacky4disney
10-05-2001, 06:58 AM
I too love the puzzle idea! That was actually one of the thoughts I came up with but I thought of buying a blank puzzle (they usually sell them in school supply stores or craft shops) and write the message on there. I might still do that. Thanks for all the ideas!!

------------------
2/78 (off-site)
6/78 (off-site)
10/82 (Honeymoon HoJo's LBV)
2/88 (Off-site)
2/90 (Polynesian)
10/93 (Off-site)
11/01 (FW--hopefully!)
3/95

GreatBigBeautifulTomorrow
10-05-2001, 11:02 AM
I am surprising my 6 and 3 year old three weeks from today with a trip... I am going to wake them up and tell them a package just arrived. (They are too little to know UPS doesn't deliver at dawn!) Inside the box is a Halloween MickeyGram from the Disney Store... Mickey in a pumpkin suit. He has a card that matches, and printed inside is "You are going to Disney TODAY!"

We just took a long trip in May, and I have promised them every three years, so they think it will be 2004 before they go again. Then, to top it off, when we get to Orlando, we will "run into" my older daughter's best friend and her mother, who are taking the trip with us. Somehow, I have kept this, along with sewing 5 homemade costumes for MNSSHP, under wraps for 2 1/2 months!!!

But enough about me.

1. How about a special map? Use a paper map, draw a highlighted line to your original destination, then veer off course to Orlando, maybe with a Mickey sticker at the bottom and "We're going to Disney World!" Then, since you have bigger kids, you can be driving along and say, "oh, so-and-so will you grab that map for me and check the state road number?" Don't actually SAY so-and-so, it will be better if you pick a kid. I would pick the most hysterical kid, it will be more fun. Be sure your spouse is detained with some other duty, so they really think you need the info.

OR

2. You could say "get dressed, we gotta get on the road... oh, I put some clothes out for you... then let them find Mickey ears (You can get these ahead of time, with their names, from the World by mail)with their jeans and shirts. Instant photo op, and yes, I think even teenagers will wear them!!

OR

3. If you are camping on that one night stop, make a stenciled sign that says "Let's go to Disney World!", wait till they are in the tent that night, place the stencil on top of the tent and shine a flashlight at the back so they can read it. Then they scream and wake up all the neighbors.

OR

4. Stop for breakfast, then while they are eating, put a sign on the back of the car that says "Disney or Bust" that they will see when they come out. (Do kids even know that phrase now?!)

OR

5. Or turn on the "radio" and have a Disney tape playing... after 100 miles or so, someone might catch on!

Okay, back to planning my trip... however you tell them, I am sure it will be a WONDERFUL surprize... enjoy!

------------------
Anastasia... no, sorry, not that one.

HEY, MEET US IN CHICAGO! (http://www.intercot.com/boards/Forum7/HTML/000273.html)

next up: MNSSHP October 2001 at All Star Sports

We go on...

BrerGnat
10-05-2001, 05:10 PM
Warning: This plan is really detailed (I am bored at work and actually sat here cooking this up for about 10 minutes) I think it would be funny, but maybe I'm just REALLY bored...

Ok, I think with kids that old, you should torture them to the fullest extent allowable by law. http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink.gif If these were MY kids (when I finally have kids, mind you), this is what I would do (this plan requires a bit of acting ability...):

Buy 1 Mickey and 1 Minnie mouse beanie. (for use later)

When you get into South Carolina, make a rest stop and place a fake call to the camping place you are supposed to go to (to clarify directions). While they are away from the car, put the beanies under your seat in the front, along with a card that says "You're on your way to the Fort Wilderness Campground at Walt Disney World...see you soon!" Look as if you just got off the phone when they come out of the bathroom or something.

Tell your kids that your plans have changed. Tell them that the camping place has been shut down for the week because of a rodent infestation problem (like mice!). Tell them that the camping place suggested another campground a "few hours south" and that you would be going there instead. Make up a set of directions to get there (WDW) as if you got them over the phone. Get into the car and back on the road, not telling them how far south the place is. Have a strange conversation with your husband about how you heard on the news a few days ago that South Carolina was having problems with an overrun of the mouse population.

Express concern about this "other campsite" and pretend to call them to check on the mouse problem. When you get off the phone, tell everyone that the owner of the campsite said not to worry. Tell them that he/she said that there is a pair of mice there that have become pretty famous among visitors, because they are very friendly and don't cause problems. But other than that, there are only the usual ducks (donald), rabbits (brer), bears (Pooh), dogs (pluto & goofy), elephants (dumbo), tigers (tigger), dragons....(sort of trail off), then let out a hysterical scream (warn your husband about this, since he will probably be driving). When everyone asks what's wrong...tell them that you felt something on your legs...and you think you saw a mouse on the floor of the car. Comment that they probably got in at the rest stop. Make your husband take the next exit so he and the kids can "look for" the mice. When you stop, get out of the car (grabbing your camera or video camera...commenting that you HAVE to get this on film) and have them search the car for the mice. Direct your oldest look under the front passenger seat.

Enjoy the moment! http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

------------------
Disney Bride-June 28,2001

wacky4disney
10-05-2001, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the GREAT IDEAS!! Especially the mouse infestation idea but I don't know if I'd be able to keep a straight face long enough to do that!!

Thanks!

------------------
2/78 (off-site)
6/78 (off-site)
2/88 (Off-site)
2/90 (Polynesian)
10/93 (Off-site)
11/01 (FW--hopefully!)
3/95

Spindrift
10-05-2001, 08:12 PM
How about simply not telling them at all?

See how long after you've passed the exit in SC you're supposed to take that they figure out you've passed it.

When they ask what's going on blame it on dad for not asking directions.

After a while they will get suspicious so then pop in the Disney tape.

------------------
Feb 2002, Polynesian/Wilderness Lodge
Feb 2001, Polynesian
Feb 1999, Off-site
Feb 1997, Off-site
Aug 1986, Off-site
Mar 1985, Off-site
Apr 1974, Off-site
Apr 1973, Off-site

aunysandy
10-06-2001, 12:30 AM
Combine the mouse infestation cancelled S. Carolina campground with the not telling them till they figure it out, see if you can get all the way there w/out them figuring it out, but fess up your first night there, you'll still be talking about it as a family 50 yrs. from now. And you'll never fool them again. I'm soo excited for you, how clever Brergnat!

------------------

A Big Kid
10-06-2001, 10:31 AM
Respectively, Ya'll are going about this the wrong way!!

Use it to your advantage!

After the first argument between the kids,,,and after 4 hours in a car, they will argue,,,tell them that if they are nice to each other from here on out, you will got to WDW instead of S Carolina! If they are not nice, you will turn around and go home!

You can get them to behave. You can be the heroes for making the decision. You can have a peacefull trip.

------------------

onemouse
10-06-2001, 01:29 PM
How fun! A surprise trip to WDW. I think you should tell them on the way to S.C. that you have simply changed your mind about camping there and then ask for suggestions. If no one brings up WDW, eventually bring it up yourself. The excitement and conversation will then last for the rest of the trip. Don't make your "scheme" too complicated. Keep it simple and have fun!!!

------------------
61-01 Disneyland
84 WDW/offsight
01 CBR and AS sports

monoraillime
10-09-2001, 10:55 PM
This is kind of off the original question, but I know of a family from the school where I teach, who picked their kids up early from school to go to a "dentist appointment." It turned out that they really went to the airport for a surprise trip to WDW. I thought that was so cool!

------------------

wacky4disney
10-10-2001, 07:12 AM
I had thought of just waking them up in the middle of the night and just say "Wake up, we're going to Disney World!" but then I realized it would be insane for me. Trying to get their clothes packed, personal items, etc. and them not noticing (since they are older) would be near impossible. That would have been great though!

------------------
2/78 (off-site)
6/78 (off-site)
2/88 (Off-site)
2/90 (Polynesian)
10/93 (Off-site)
11/01 (FW--hopefully!)
3/95

Piglet822
10-10-2001, 08:15 AM
I've always liked the idea of not even saying anything until we get there. Of course I can't do that with my son, he HAS to know what's going on so he can adjust.
Whatever way you decide, it's going to be so neat to see the looks on their faces so be sure to have your camera handy.

------------------
Jeanne
Disney Cruise Line Bus Driver

And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.

WDW crazy
10-10-2001, 07:04 PM
Last year I surprised my son and nephew with a trip to WDW. They both had graduated from 8th grade. My daughter and I bought little things to use as clues. We wrapped each one seperately. They all had something to do with WDW but not too obvious. We had an orange for Florida oranges, a little mouse, not Mickey, A golf ball for Spaceship Earth, some little plastic wild animals for AK, sunglasses with stars on them for MGM. We had many more but I can't remember right now. We had them both open the same gift at the same time. They still didn't know what it all meant. Then we gave them a printed certificate good for a week at WDW. It was so fun when they finally realized what it was for! http://www.intercot.com/boards/rollsmile.gif

------------------
WDW Trips
12/1996: All Star Sports
5/1998: Wilderness Lodge
5/1999: Dixie Landings
2/2000: Dixie Landings
9/2000: Dixie Landings
10/2001: Animal Kingdom Lodge/ Caribe Royale
2/2002: PO-Riverside
Disneyland: Too many times to count!

wacky4disney
10-11-2001, 06:31 AM
GREAT IDEAS!! If you remember any more, please let me know! I love the ones you gave so far! Thanks!

------------------
2/78 (off-site)
6/78 (off-site)
2/88 (Off-site)
2/90 (Polynesian)
10/93 (Off-site)
11/01 (FW--hopefully!)
3/95

goofgal
10-11-2001, 07:15 AM
Why don't you wake the kids up and say "If you can get yourself packed in 15 minutes, we're going to Disney"?

------------------
Karen