PDA

View Full Version : WDW Proposal ideas

mickeyd
11-08-2001, 08:47 PM
I need some help. I have been with my girlfriend for nearly four years now, and intend to propose to her at WDW on our December trip. My problem is that I don't know how.

My girlfriend has never been to WDW an has been working hard completing her honours year at university this year. As a graduation present I am taking her with my famliy on our trip Nov 26 - Dec 5.

I think I would like to propose at MK, as this seems like the most magical place, but I don't know when or how. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me some ideas! I have searched the boards and have found a few things, but any ideas (even for places other than MK) would be welcome.

Thank you in advance.

I'm so nervous
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Jeff
11-08-2001, 10:14 PM
Although it's not too private, how about first thing in the morning as you walk down Main Street. Talk quickly to one of the photographers and let him/her know your plan then as you "pop the question" they could take your picture with the Castle in the background.

Whatever you decide it sure is a magical way to propose. Best of luck!

delarosa
11-09-2001, 01:39 AM
Jeff--

That is exactly how I want my boyfriend (oddly enough also named Jeff) to propose one day! I have a whole collection of those photos on the wall from the past many years. I think that would make a wonderful addition to my collection!

Dawn
11-09-2001, 06:20 AM
How about over dinner in the castle. If you let the CMs know what you're planning they can serve the ring as "dessert" in a glass slipper.

mickeyd
11-09-2001, 08:10 AM
I like the main street idea, but I think it might be a little too public.

A few people have suggested the cinderella's wishing well. I 've never found this, where exactly is it??

Any other ideas guys?

TiggerRPh
11-09-2001, 08:57 AM
It's on the Fantasyland side of the castle, right next to Tinkerbell's Treasures. In other words...go through the castle...look to your left, can't miss it!

graemlins/thumbsup.gif

delarosa
11-09-2001, 10:46 AM
Actually that is not the wishing well. It is just a water well thmemed water fountain. smile.gif The wishing well is located next to the castle. If you are coming up Main Street to the castle, follow the ramp that leads up to the RIGHT side of the casle. It is just a little passageway that leads to the Teacup side of Fantasyland. But just as you come up to the side of the castle is a well. There is a little sign naming it the wishing well, and saying all the coins go to charity.

It is very private. Few people take the path. Don't do it there during the fireworks though, unless you don't want to see them! It is not a good view.

Simba 1
11-09-2001, 12:30 PM
My husband proposed to me on the balcony of a room at the Contemporary overlooking the MK. He had champaigne, a small wedding cake with crystal Mickey and Minnie topper, and roses brought to the room right after I said yes. It was perfect and very private.

I also suggest the wishing well at Cindy's castle. We've sat there many times during crowded days at MK, and no one seems to take that path.

How about during an evening walk along the beach at the Poly or GF?

How about the rose garden in EPCOT at the UK pavillion?

What about walking over to the wedding pavilion at GF, taking a look around, and then popping the question there?

You can always arrange to ask her during dinner. Let the restaraunt know ahead of time - they can help you with presentation or bring a "happy engagement" dessert after you propose.

For additional $$, you can contact "Gifts of a Lifetime", at Disney. They can arrange anything from scavenger hunts through the parks, to a private table inside the gardens around the castle - whatever you wish for. But bring your wallet.

Good luck with the planning. Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be perfect. graemlins/muscles.gif

Mickey0535
11-09-2001, 02:25 PM
mickeyd, all of the way from Australia to propose at WDW and your girlfriend's first time there to boot? Excellent!! I like Simba1's idea of the wedding pavillion. Kind of inspiring. Also, you could time the answer to the question with one of the nightly shows. MK's fireworks, Epcot's ROE, etc. Not sure that I would want to do it in front of the crowd at Fantasmic though. :D I have read here that the CMs are very helpful in creating a memorable moment for something like this. Very cool! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ghp918
11-09-2001, 05:18 PM
I agree with dinner at the castle! We had my birthday dinner there in September and it was perfect, although there were little kids trying to pick up the mickey confetti that spilled off our table. Or Victoria and Alberts is supposed to be a wonderful dinner, kinda pricey though. Bu the castle is a special place for all who visit. Congrats in advance!

mickeyd
11-09-2001, 05:43 PM
Thanks guys you are being really helpful. Dinner at the castle sounds good.

Two more questions (I seem to be asking a lot graemlins/blush.gif )

Is there a garden / secluded are next to the castle? I read somewhere that there is a special area that is roped off that can be used for such things.

Is there a special 'enagement' dept at WDW or should I just speak to a near by CM or mention what I want to do at check in at our resort? If I did the dinner in the castle idea, should I organise it in advance?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to get this right.

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: mickeyd ]</p>

delarosa
11-09-2001, 11:50 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mickeyd:

Is there a garden / secluded are next to the castle? I read somewhere that there is a special area that is roped off that can be used for such things.

Is there a special 'enagement' dept at WDW or should I just speak to a near by CM or mention what I want to do at check in at our resort? If I did the dinner in the castle idea, should I organise it in advance?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to get this right.

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: mickeyd ]<hr></blockquote>

Yes there is a rose garden near the castle. As you head over the bridge to Tomorrowland, there is a pathway leading down to the garden. There is a covered area down there with benches. (It was the loading dock for the swan boats once upon a time.) It can be roped and reserved for engagements through 407 824 5130. Be prepared...it doesn't come cheaply.

That number handles all "official" engagement packages. Nothing says you have to use them of course. If you choose the do-it-yourself approach and need some special help pulling it off, tell a CM. Tell the front desk at your hotel. They should be able to help you arrange it.

Good luck!

Jared
11-10-2001, 09:05 AM
I think that most of your questions have been answered, but I just wanted to wish you luck! Please keep us posted on how it goes!

LostKid
11-12-2001, 01:41 AM
I was just there and as we were walking to our hotel i was reading the stones that line the walkway at the trans/tckt center and one of the stones had a proposal on it. I don't know the cost of the stones, but i must say i thought it was so cool. They have the stones at the MK too. But you could be pretending to read the stones and get her to "find" your stone!! And the beauty is you will always be able to go back and remember your wonderful day!!
--------------------------------------------------
Jen

Jeannine
11-12-2001, 03:52 PM
My husband proposed in Epcot during Illuminations! It was nice b/c it was different than the castle. He intended on doing it in MK but I blew it for him b/c it was very crowded at MK that day so I decided we should park hop over to Epcot....but all in all it worked out nice..after all Epcot is the "future" right and what better way to kick off the future.....GOOD LUCK!!! and keep us posted!

mickeyd
11-12-2001, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the responces. At this stage I think I'll go with the Wishing Well idea. I won't have a ring because we'd want to choose it together - maybe a small crystal gift of some sort to mark the occasion.
(ideas?)

ONE LAST QUESTION:
Assuming I can't get into the castle for dinner, where would be a nice romantic spot for dinner? (can't afford anything like V&A's)

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: mickeyd ]</p>

faline
11-12-2001, 07:41 PM
Close by MK and quite romantic would be Artist's Point at Wilderness Lodge (it's a boat ride away from MK) and if tell them the occasion perhaps you can get the best table (the one in the corner with the view of the waterfall).

You might also consider California Grill (at the top of the Contemporary) which is just a monorail ride away from the MK (or a walk if you choose). Great views of the MK and the castle. If it's a fireworks night, you might be able to time your meal to the fireworks (along with a request for a window table).

Narcoosee's at the GF is a restaurant that sits out on a dock. Great views. It's a boat ride or a monorail ride away from the MK.

Good luck and best wishes!

Dawn
11-13-2001, 05:06 AM
Arribas Bros store at Downtown Disney has a wide selection of crystal figures of Disney characters. I think you can also get small crystal models of Cinderella's Castle too.

delarosa
11-13-2001, 03:26 PM
There are also two Arribas Brothers shops right in the Magic Kingdom. One is Crystal Arts on Main Street, right next to Market House. The other is inside the castle. The store inside has all sorts of cool (and mostly expensive) items. But I believe they also carry Arribas Brothers.

karenkerr
11-26-2001, 03:45 PM
How Romantic that you are proposing at DW.

My husband proposed to me there 10 years ago. It was so romantic. All my family was there. We were all watching the fireworks outside Cinderella's castle when my husband pulled out a Prince Charming figurine on which had hanging my engagement ring.

My husband then got down on one knee and asked me to marry him.

Of couse I started crying...as did all my family...and of course I said yes.

It was so romantic I can still see it today.

We are now happily in our 8th year of marriage and going strong.

We are huge Disney fans and our son has become one as well.

I am taking our son to DW with my mom and nephew in March of this year. My son really enjoyed his trip last May and is dying to go back (all this at the ripe old age of 5).

Good luck and may all your dreams come true!!!

Karen Kerr

Imagineer's Mom
11-26-2001, 05:44 PM
Well, I'm a little late... but my fiance proposed at the wishing well. I was so incredibly shocked! The monorail broke the morning that we were supposed to go to MK, so we ended up going to epcot first - so he had the ring in his pocket all day... and kept insisting that we HAVE to go see the Tiki Birds. Very frustrated I agreed to go back to MK midday... and as we rounded the castle I noticed he wasn't walking next to me anymore... I turned around (thinking the the heck are you doing... let's do this tiki bird thing) and he proposed. graemlins/blush.gif Anyway - I'd love to hear how another wishing well story went!

Jenn

spiceypj
11-26-2001, 06:04 PM
are you staying in a WDW hotels - some have romantic places - the gardens at POR (DL), after the torches have been lite at the Poly, the walking path between the VWL and FW (before dark), the beach at the CRB at night, the walking path from OKW to DD (before dark), the lobby at WL, or the sitting area at WL (there are 2 of them between the 4th and 5th, and 3rd and 4th floors).

have a wonderful time.

prprincess
11-26-2001, 06:07 PM
I say go for proposing at the wishing well. My fiance proposed to me there in October and it was the sweetest! There were a few people around while he did it and they were able to take pictures of us together.

Good luck!

TNJ42097
11-26-2001, 09:38 PM
I proposed to my wife at the wishing well in January of 2000. This was after 3 years of Disney trips ending every visit to the MK with a trip to "our well" to make a wish...after the wish we always had a random person take our picture...so I have picture from every trip and very wish

Then in January 2000 I proposed right after the MSEP - no one was around and the mood was perfect - Since we had made so many wishes in the past I asked her "If she would make my wish come true..." while on one knee...

An interesting thing is that I have always looked for a replica of the well and during our trip in January 2001 (for the Disney marathon) I found a globe music box with the castle in the globe and the well on the back - a perfect replica and a great way to commemorate the proposal.

We were married in March of 2001 and will be making a return visit this January for the 2002 Marathon and a visit to the well!!

Good luck on your trip...

Jason & Ticia