PDA

View Full Version : California Grill or Concourse Steakhouse?

imported_PolyGirl40
11-24-2001, 09:57 AM
I currently have PS’ for the California Grill -- for dinner. I read Janet’s rave about the Concourse Steakhouse’s onion soup -- now I’m perplexed. I simply LOVE onion soup.

It will be our arrival evening. My group will consist of Myself, Husband & 2 Sons ( 15 & 7).
My husband goes with the flow -- although he loves meat and taters. The children’s menu looks much more pleasing at the Steakhouse.

I have no vacate spots to take in both. Ugh!

Price is not a factor and my guys are accustomed to fine dining -- so that does not need to be considered.

Opinions please and why. The more details the better. I love talking specifics -- when it comes to food. :D

Thanks! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

EvaBryan
11-24-2001, 10:02 AM
Carol-

I have never eaten at the Concourse but I have eaten at CG and loved it. My choice would be CA for this one reason:

ATMOSPHERE.

I always avoided the Concourse because of the ambient noise from Chef Mickey's. We didn't want to spend $100 on dinner to be surrounded by the sounds of napkin twirlers and birthday greetings. I love Chef Mickey's but not when I am not there.

I am sorry I cannot compare the food. The prices seem comparable and the menu at Concourse does look fabulous. Bryan is an adventurous eater but I can say that if given the choice he would go for the meat and potatoes dish. When we dined at the CA he went for the chicken dish since he wasn't feeling very adventurous that evening.

Good luck with your choice and

Bon appetite!

Eva graemlins/mickey.gif

ChipDale
11-24-2001, 10:08 AM
Carol, I think your kids would be much more comfortable at the Concourse Steakhouse. Yes, it is a little noisy, but that also depends on how closely you are seated to Chef Mickey's (the two restaurants share a half-wall).

We absolutely loved the food at the Concourse. Their Caesar salad was one of the best I've ever tasted. The steaks were perfect (I think all three of us ordered the NY Strip). We were too full for dessert, but the choices looked very tempting. All in all, I enjoyed the atmosphere and you can watch the monorail gliding overhead. It was a very pleasant dining experience for us.

(We have eaten at the California Grill and like that too, but we enjoyed the menu at the Concoure Steakhouse more. Like your hubby, we're meat and potato lovers.) smile.gif

wendy*darling
11-24-2001, 10:15 AM
Carol, I have to agree with Eva- it's all in the ATMOSPHERE.

My husband has eaten at the Concourse Steakhouse (although for breakfast) and enjoyed the food quite a bit. But, for breakfast or dinner, it IS right next door to Chef Mickey's and you can hear all the fun going on in there.

The California Grill is totally seperate, beautiful view. You can sit in the lounge while waiting. It's just so much MORE....

And I have to say the CG offers a nice variety of items on the menu. My husband loves sushi (I don't) and he loved being able to get sushi appetizers and something totally different for an entree. Although our kids weren't with us on that trip ( :D ), I did look over the menu with them in mind and thought they'd do quite well with the choices. (They're not picky eaters)

If you can only fit one in... I'd pick the California Grill without question!

imported_PolyGirl40
11-24-2001, 10:29 AM
Ooooooooooooh! Caesar salad -- another favorite. graemlins/tasty.gif
....and I adore atmosphere.

Both sound wonderful. graemlins/crazy.gif

Here is something else to consider.-- I also have PS’ for Chef Mickey’s for an evening the following week.

Should I cancel them and go with the Concourse Steakhouse? We are already doing a dinner buffet at Boma. We’ve never had dinner at Chef Mickey’s. We opted for 1900 Park Fare in March.

LOL -- So many choices and only 9 days to fit them all in. Dining is one of our favorite WDW pass times. :D

dlpmikki
11-24-2001, 04:53 PM
What a choice to have to make graemlins/mickey.gif

We have eaten at the California Grill once - the food was Good and the view excellent if you got near the window.

We have eaten at the Concourse Steak House LOTS of times - we really enjoy it. It is great having the monorail passing by and the occasional bits of noise from Chef Mickeys just add to the fun atmosphere. The food is consistently good - onion soup unusual and very tasty; steaks good, ceaser salad, crab cakes etc etc all excellent and very friendly staff. Last time we went one spotted us at Epcot a few days later on the monorail and chatted to us :D

Cancel Chef Mickey's? Mmmm are you doing any other character meals? If not then I think you should stick with it as it is fun and the kids will love it. If I was cancelling anything it would probably be Boma graemlins/shakehead.gif but it is a hard call to make.

We also love Dining so may run into you in one of the restaurants graemlins/tasty.gif

faline
11-25-2001, 06:14 PM
I think it's a pick between views. Personally, on my arrival night, I know I'll be tired and would want to save a place like CG for a time when I'll really be able to enjoy both the food and the view. Concourse Steakhouse is exactly the sort of place I would eat on my arrival night and then retire to my room to regain energy for the rest of my trip.

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-25-2001, 06:19 PM
Carol,

Just an idea if you are going again in March I would switch 1900 Park Fair for Chef Mickey's at that time and then you could do Concourse Steakhouse and California Grill this trip.

California Grill is my absolute favorite. The atmosphere and the food is truly fantastic. Even my fussy eaters enjoyed it.

Concourse Steakhouse is another terrific restaurant, truly believe that this is one of the most under rated places.

Chef Mickeys is always a fun spot for good food and character interaction.

My last two experiences with 1900 Park Fare weren't the best at all. Maybe I will attempt it one more time in the furture but is isn't a must do for me.

imported_PolyGirl40
11-26-2001, 06:55 AM
faline,
We are traveling in the afternoon -- and will be arriving by 5. It's only a 2-1/2 hour flight. No early morning jaunt to the airport. We will not be tired. Thanks graemlins/mickey.gif

Cher,
I was speaking about this past March. Chef Mickey's was a carry-over from then. We loved 1900 Park Fare. In fact my husband is disappointed it's not on February's agenda. He is a buffet lover. Hence my hesitance to cancel Boma or Chef Mickey's.

Now I'm thinking about canceling Whispering Canyon -- and adding Concourse Steakhouse. Then I will not have to change the California Grill or Chef Mickey's.

Who wants to give me the skinny on Whispering Canyon? graemlins/doubleeek.gif

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]</p>

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-26-2001, 07:36 AM
We have done Whispering Canyon three times in the last two years. Food was ok and sometimes you get someone that it great with the entertainment factor.

If it was me personally, I would gladly give up Whispering Canyon for California Grill, Concourse Steakhouse, Chef Mickeys, and even Boma. Will be trying Boma in a week but from what I hear it is fantastic!

wendy*darling
11-26-2001, 08:34 AM
I would also give up the Whispering Canyon PS and choose Concourse instead.

WC is fun, the food is OK, but it's not a *must-do* in my book.

imported_PolyGirl40
11-26-2001, 09:52 AM
Thank you -- Thank you -- Thank you! graemlins/muscles.gif

I canceled dinner at the Whispering Canyon and replaced it with the Concourse Steakhouse.

we can always go to the Whispering Canyon for an impromptu lunch. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Diamond Dave Flash
12-01-2001, 03:53 AM
California Grill - Thats all you need to say!

Jillpie
12-01-2001, 08:22 PM
Nice decision Carol. We are trying Concourse for the first time as well. But we have tried Cal. Grill and wow was it good...but....the kids didn't like it at all. But don't let that stop you. Your kids might love it. The view at sunset is stunning. Try the goat cheese pizza for an appetizer, very good. We also had pork tenderloin and filet mignon.MMMMMMM!!! Can't wait to hear your report on this and the Concourse and Boma!! We're trying that at breakfast though, we're big breakfast eaters. smile.gif Isn't this the BEST part about planning the trip? We're not going till April and I'm already doing this...how fun.

imported_PolyGirl40
12-02-2001, 07:44 AM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jillpie:
Can't wait to hear your report on this and the Concourse and Boma!! We're trying that at breakfast though, we're big breakfast eaters. smile.gif Isn't this the BEST part about planning the trip? <hr></blockquote>

Jill,
I have the most fun planning the meals. The resort and dining is my portion of the vacation. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I could not decide between a Boma breakfast or dinner -- So, we are doing both. graemlins/doubleeek.gif We're big breakfast eaters when traveling. The only time we have a light breakfast -- is when we schedule a sit-down lunch.

I'm down to;
69 Days, 9 Hrs, 22 Mins, & 17 Secs. It sounds like a lot -- It seems like we were just there. :cool:

imported_JohnY
12-02-2001, 10:49 AM
Carol:

The California grill is in my opinion, one of the best restaurants on property to eat at. It goes way beyond the breathtaking views. The food is FANTASTIC and not to be missed. I eat there everytime I visit.

imported_PolyGirl40
12-02-2001, 11:28 AM
Thanks John! I just found out they will be having fireworks during our dinner time. That will certainly add to the ambiance.

I also have PS’ at the Flying Fish -- after reading your recent trip report. I love dining at WDW! I can't wait.

Jennib
12-02-2001, 05:11 PM
Carol-

Why don't you do Chef Mickey's for Lunch or Breakfast and then do The Concourse for dinner. I have to agree...it was the best Caesar salad I have ever had. and I am really picky. If I think it is a jar dressing I will send it back.
Have a wonderful time!

Jillpie
12-02-2001, 10:18 PM
Carol, 69 days will just fly! graemlins/muscles.gif You'll be so busy with Christmas and then, well, its Disneyworld!!! You MUST give me all the details to the breakfast at Boma. Oh my gosh, I'm getting so excited your going so soon, it'll be so much fun!!! :D :D