PDA

View Full Version : The Week of Gluttony, Part II

EvaBryan
06-13-2001, 12:08 AM
Thursday, June 7

Breakfast: Tony’s Town Square, PS for 9:00AM
$20.57 for two adults, including tax but not including tip.
We almost didn’t make this PS (we were 5 minutes late), but were seated within 5-10 minutes. Bryan ordered the Italian toast and I got the two-egg breakfast (not sure what it was called). The portions here are HUGE and we could have easily split something. I also tasted my dad’s frittata – it was delicious! The cinnamon roll that they set at the table tasted wonderful, and we ordered orange juice and Bryan had coffee. This is a nice way to start a day at the Magic Kingdom

Lunch: Casey’s, no PS
$21.95 for lunch for 5 people (we picked up the tab for today)
We decided to have a lunch/snack since our Hoop Dee Doo reservation wasn’t until 7:15 and we hadn’t eaten since 9AM. We didn’t have full lunches but shared some hot dogs, fries and sodas. We ordered one ¼ lb. hot dog (Grand Slam), three smaller hot dogs (Great Americans), one French fry, 1 medium Diet Coke, 1 large Coke and 1 large orange soda. Normally Casey’s is pretty good, but they must have been training new employees today because they messed up our order three times – wrong sodas, forgot the fries, didn’t give us the extra cups we asked for. We sat on the terrace and watched the Magical Moments Parade as we ate.

Dinner: Hoop Dee Doo, Reservation for 7:15PM
$95.60 for two adults, including tax and gratuity
The price for Hoop Dee Doo had gone up from $46.33 to $47.80, so we had to shell out an extra $1.50 per person. This was our favorite meal of the trip and we all had a great time. Bryan and his parents had never been to the show before and we hadn’t been since 1990, so it was like seeing it again for the first time. Book early, folks, and you get one of the best seats in the house. We had the large round table in the center of the room and they danced around us during the show. Bryan was the first person they slammed a bucket of food in front of when we were being served and the spotlight was totally on him. I thought he would have a heart attack. Our Six Bits was one of the best we have ever seen and we ate and laughed so much that night. I couldn’t recommend HDD any higher – if you are celebrating a special event or have the extra money, go for it.

Friday, June 8

Lunch: Le Cellier, no PS
$23.58 for two adults, including tax but not including tip
We each ordered a cheese soup, Bryan had a Sprite and I had a Coke, and we split a sirloin sandwich. We have never been here before and walked in for lunch around 12:20PM. We are definitely making a PS for our next trip for dinner – Le Cellier was superb. Nice atmosphere, decent prices, and delicious food.

Dinner: Biergarten, PS for 6:55PM
$52.21 for two adult buffets, including tax but not including tip
We love this restaurant, despite the mixed reviews it receives. This was our second visit here and our first at dinner. I didn’t notice a big difference in the buffet offerings but the entertainment was more extensive. Bryan ordered a liter of Beck’s Dark (I didn’t listen to him later when he said his stomach hurt) and I stuck with a Coke. Dinner was hot, fresh and delicious.

Snack: Large lemonade at the Electric Umbrella, $2.39.

Saturday, June 9

Lunch: ABC Commissary, no PS
$14.87 for two adults, including tax
We ordered cheeseburgers and fries and split a large lemonade. Not as good as Pecos Bill, but sufficient seating and pretty decent food. I wish they would lower the volume of the TV’s though. This is a nice place to cool off in the hot afternoon. I think MGM has a serious lack of indoor fast-food restaurants.

Dinner: ‘Ohana, PS for 6:40PM
$41.98 for two adult buffets, including tax but not including tip
Yum, yum, yum!!! We loved this restaurant (this was our first time) and will be back again. We all enjoyed all of the roasted meats and side dishes and LOVED the pineapple with caramel. Caramel and pineapple sounds disgusting, but is the dessert of the gods. I especially enjoyed the large shrimp and was delighted that our server accommodated my request for cocktail sauce (how can you eat shrimp without it?). One cute event: when the kids were having their coconut races, one little boy (about 4) couldn’t control his coconut – he started crying! His sister (about 5) tried to console him. During the next round none of the kids wanted to participate until the CM announced they would get candy if they would participate. We also showed up about 1 hour early and were seated promptly.

Snacks: Pretzel on New York Avenue at MGM, $3.00.
Michelob draft, virgin pina colada and a Coke at the Tambu Lounge before ‘Ohana, approximately $13 with barmaid tip.

Sunday, June 10

Breakfast: Chef Mickeys, PS for 9:15AM
$33.82 for two adult buffets, including tax but not including tip
How I ate as much that morning after the night before at ‘Ohana’s is beyond me. This was probably the best breakfast buffet I have been to – there was anything anyone could want – even Rice Krispies treats!! The donuts were great (were they Krispy Kremes – they sure tasted like KK’s) and the egg dishes all fresh and delicious. Sure, it was noisy, but what do you expect at a breakfast with loads of characters and kids? We will be back!

Lunch: Pecos Bill (again?!?), no PS
$15.80 for two adults, including tax
Once again we found ourselves at Pecos. The Magic Kingdom was packed that day and every sit-down place has long waits. We were going to eat at Columbia Harbour but the parade started and we were near Pecos – you don’t have to twist our arms. Two Paul Bunyans and this time two large drinks (yup, you guessed it, one Coke and one Lemonade). No onions on the burgers this time, but plenty of tomatoes and lettuce.

Snacks: 2 large sodas at the Wilderness Lodge, Roaring Forks (we went snooping on our way out), $4.22. The “large” sodas at the resorts are actually the medium sized ones at the parks.
One pineapple float and one root beet float at Aloha Isle, $6.89.

That’s it for my dining review. We ate a lot, but we also walked and swam a lot, and we each lost about 5 pounds last week. Now I can justify all of those heart-clogging burgers at Pecos Bill. No salads for me on vacation!!!

Hope you enjoyed reading!

Eva

------------------

[This message has been edited by EvaBryan (edited June 13, 2001).]

PolyGirl40
06-13-2001, 09:07 AM
I've got to add Tony's and Le Cellier to my "must try" list for February..Your meals sound wonderful...

So glad you enjoyed O'Hana's http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif..

My family was less then trilled with the food at the HDD.. http://www.intercot.com/boards/grazy.gif...The show is a must see though!

Great report!!!

------------------
~Carol
"To get to the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain."

[This message has been edited by PolyGirl40 (edited June 13, 2001).]

beth
06-13-2001, 11:29 AM
If you're going to do Le Cellier, I would HIGHLY recommend making PS. This place is getting to be a real hot spot. And with good reason. The food is yummy (though sometimes heavy on the pepper). A great place to cool off. But it fills up quickly, so make those PS.

The Chef Mickey donuts are definitely Krispy Kremes. Got it straight from Chef Goofy! http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif (and believe me Goofy went to ALOT of trouble to get that message across!)

------------------
beth
[email protected]
Intercot Staff Member

"Love and Mercy that's what you need tonight. So Love and Mercy to you and your friends tonight."

For more fun on all things Disney, check out our sister site, www.webdisney.com (http://www.webdisney.com)

For fun and info on the land that started it all check out our sister site: www.intercotwest.com (http://www.intercotwest.com)

MickeyG
06-13-2001, 02:19 PM
Hi,

Our family will be doing the Chef Mickey character breakfast at the Contemporary in August. I hear that Krispy Kremes are served at the buffet. I have not had a KK but have heard they are a notch or two better than your average donut. Is this a "must try" donut experience or should I skip the calories and go for the more conventional breakfast food? We are anxiously looking forward to this breakfast. We have read many wonderful comments about it. Thanks!!!!!

------------------

Beast_fanatic
06-13-2001, 02:50 PM
You lost 5 pounds? Well, you obviously didn't eat enough snacks!

Sounds like you had lots of yumminess though. Thanks for the info.

------------------
Rhonda

EvaBryan
06-13-2001, 04:04 PM
Krispy Kremes are definitely the bestest donuts known to mankind. I have no idea why they are so much better - it is probably something gross that I don't want to know (like they use some sort of icky lard instead of oil or something), so I choose ignorance and keep stuffing them in my mouth. http://www.intercot.com/boards/tasty.gif We don't have Krispy Kremes around here (except in NYC), so I try to get one every chance I can get. I was once lucky enough to attend a four-day conference at NYU that had a Krispy Kreme store next to the auditorium - guess where I was at lunchtime???

I think we lost five pounds because of all of the sweating we did. It was HOT. http://www.intercot.com/boards/devil.gif I never remember drinking so much water without have to pee - I think as soon as we drank it we sweat it out.

------------------

MickeyG
06-13-2001, 04:51 PM
EvaBryan,

Yhanks for the info on Krispy Kremes. I will indulge myself at the character breakfast. Just don't know if I should start off the breakfast with one or save it till the end of the meal. Oh well, if that is the most difficult Disney decision that I will have to make, then the trip should be smooth sailing. Thanks again!!!!

------------------

MnDloveDisney
06-14-2001, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the reviews. My husband and I definitely want to try Le Cellier and Rose and Crown on our next trip..thanks for all the info!

PS. I was there the same week as you and I'll agree it was HOT! http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
Visits:
'84,'85,'86,'87,'88,'89,'90,'91,'95
Honeymoon-December 2000 at Port Orleans
2001 Trips:June 2001 - ASTD Conference (sneaking some Disney in between!)
December 2001 - All-Star Movies

ChipDale
06-22-2001, 09:13 AM
Eva once again, thanks for a great write-up. You ate at many of my favorites (tony's for breakfast, 'Ohana, Hoop Dee Doo, Le Cellier, Biergarten). Now I'm really hungry! http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

------------------
Jane