PDA

View Full Version : WDW compared to DL

miasdad
07-07-2004, 01:38 PM
I am sure the comparisons have been made before (although I haven't seen them on these boards), but I am sure some people might be curious about some ride & show comparisons between WDW and DL.

We had the GREAT PLEASURE of visiting for a few days last week/weekend - for the first time. (we are WDW veterans)

Summary:

Disneyland Hotel - GREAT!!! Our family of 5 were very comfortable in the rooms here. (and we are used to the 1BR Boardwalk Villas!!)

Overall Disneyland complex (Disneyland Park, California Adventure, Downtown Disney, all 3 Disney Hotels): What a great job they have done integrating everything. Although we had never been, just imagining the space contraints they have, they have done a no-less than spectacular job creating a destination that is self contained. EVERYTHING is a VERY easy walk. No busses or cars needed!!

California Adventure - We think this is a very good park. The kids loved it.

Ride Comps - Tower Of Terror There are slight differences between this and its MGM counterpart. For example - you never "move forward" on tracks but stay in the shaft that you enter. The dropping and rising are the same, some of the effects are different. I think the overall "look" of the ride is better at MGM.

Our vote - MGM TOT

Muppets 4D - exactly the same

Cal. Screaming (The coaster) - We actually liked this better than R-n-R!! They are different - although both have the "rocket launch" to start, Screamin' being outside, with great sites just seems to have an added "something".

Our new fave ride at ANY Disney Park is now: Soarin' Over California!! this is WAY COOL!!!!

Disneyland Park - aka Disneyland, The Magic Kingdom west, The happiest place on earth... Everything seems to be small here (not a bad thing - just a fact) Some Examples:

The Monorail - I can reach up and touch the track as I walk under it AND the cars themselves are VERY small.I have to duck BIG time to enter and exit the cars - and they have some MEAN tilted curves when going around the many tight turns. Very cool!!

Sleeping Beauty Castle - Not knowing what to expect - we were in SHOCK at how small it is compared to Cindys. In fact the Matterhorn - which is next to it dwarfs it making it look even smaller. In fact, when we hit Main St, it took us a minute to find it...seriously..

Pirates of the Car. - The ride is longer and much better than the WDW one - but again, the boats are smaller and tighter.

Mr. Toads - YEAH - Holy Moly - a 2 seater car - my ride on mower is bigger! - But its still a classic!!

Splash Mountain - Shorter and only one per seat - much better at WDW.

IASW - About the same - Boats are much smaller

Space Mountain was closed - they are completely revamping for the DL 50th anniversery next year.

Autopia - MUCH MUCH better - more scenic, cars are better than Tomorrowland Speedway at MK

Fantasmic - WOW - a few minor differences make it MUCH better at Disneyland. A full size Captain Hook Pirate Boat, huge Pinnochio puppets and a more initimate viewing area (around Tom Sawyers Island) made this much better for us than its MGM sister.

Some "only at Disneyland Park" rides:

Adventures of Indiana Jones - Think Dinosaur at AK - But a little smoother and with an Indy theme - VERY GOOD!!

Matterhorn - Old, rickety - but hey - its a classic

Overall - it is VERY worth a trip - and you can really do it all in 3 full days....and I do see why Walt got ticked off my all the cheesy motels, shops and other stuff that are crammed right beside this property. It is a little wird watching the fireworks from our 8th floor hotel room and seeing them burst over Super 8's and Gas stations....

I also see why people describe DL as more intimate - it really is...

DVC2004
07-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Very well put! We visited there for the first time in May and had a blast! My kids loved the Matterhorn; had to go on several times. Did you eat at Blue Bayou (inside POTC)?

We also enjoyed DL and DCA very much! graemlins/mickey.gif

dreamscometrue
07-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Loved your report! and I guess we are fellow neighbors, as we are from Billerica, MA!

We have only been to DL once, about 13 years ago, and we also were very surprised with the "intimacy" of Disneyland compared to the Magic Kingdom. And we had a GREAT time. We also had a wonderful stay at the Disneyland Hotel, but back then, I don't think they had the NeverLand pool. We still had a great time at the cove pool.

Revisiting DL is on our list of vacation priorities! We need to revisit the land of Walt and all of its additions/improvements!!

SingingPixie
07-07-2004, 02:10 PM
I agree- I grew up going to disneyland almost every year because my grandparents live in San Diego, and it is a lot more intimate... less hectic and overwhelming I think. I LOVE wdw and I think they're hard to compare in the sense that disneyland is a lot more managable and maybe even quaint (nostalgia perhaps?) but walt disney world is a more comprehensive vacation- there's a ton to do that makes you keep coming back. I love them both differently! -Meg

hatter
07-07-2004, 10:41 PM
how were the CMs at DL?

nicer? haha. just curious.

sTiLLaDiSnEyKiD
07-07-2004, 11:09 PM
The CMs at DL are great! I've gone there every year my whole life and I've had a great experience every year. It's kinda opposite for me compared to everyone else here. I've been to DL countless times and WDW only once, which was 9 years ago. This will be my second time in a few weeks and I've always been curious about the differences between DLR and MK

ohbother81
07-08-2004, 07:58 AM
What a great comparison! I've never been to Disneyland but hope to go some day in the future.

Originally posted by dreamscometrue:
Loved your report! and I guess we are fellow neighbors, as we are from Billerica, MA!
How strange! I grew up in Billerica, but moved to Boston this year. In fact my parents still live in Billerica! It really is a small world, huh? ;)

momoftwo
07-08-2004, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the comparison. I have never been to DL but, would love to go. I would like to go next year but, I am not sure with our vacationd to WDW in Nov. and we want to do the cruise in 2 years. We may have to skip a big vacation next year. Thanks again.

Theresa

Vacation Dad
07-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Great info. I did a tradeshow a few years back and I could see the fireworks show every night while lying in bed and looking out the huge hotel windows. I could kick myself for not taking a few extra days after the show and visiting DL.

I always imagined that there was no comparison between MK and DL. In my mind there was nothing extra at DL that would make a visit worthwhile, that is until I read your well written post.

How were the crowds and lines compared to MK?

Mickey Loves Golf
07-08-2004, 09:23 AM
I have always used the word "quaint" to describe Disneyland. I lived in LA for almost 10 years and I got to know Disneyland very well. I have always liked it because it's the original. HOWEVER, I love Disney World more because of the "escape" factor. You can escape in Disneyland but not like at Disney World. When you ride the Monorail at Disneyland you can see the outside world where as at the World you only see Disney. You are engulfed in Disney when you are at Disney World. Both places are way cool and I guess I'm not choosing one over the other. I have just grown to love Disney World more. graemlins/mickey.gif

c&d
07-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Hi,

Thanks for that posting. The information on the differences between the parks was great to see. We're going for the first time in November/ December and I can't wait. graemlins/muscles.gif

goofyfanatic
07-08-2004, 10:47 AM
For all of those who have never been to DLR I totally suggest it.

Miasdad has given a great report. I agree almost 100% to her thoughts.

Thank you Miasdad.

Seth

miasdad
07-08-2004, 11:58 AM
In response to a couple of the questions:

CM's - Everyone we encountered was great, the fact that there are MANY, MANY more CM's at WDW compared to DLR just means you are more likely to get grumpy CM's (statistics wise) at WDW, but all in all, our experience is positive in both places. The one minor difference (maybe it is perception), but it seemed like a more kid CM's at DLR - maybe its summer employment...not a bad thing, just an observation.

Lines - We were very pleasantly suprised by the "not overbearing" crowds. It was busy, but not near what we expected. The popular rides were, on average 30 - 45 mins, although Splash was 90 mins- but you must also realize that the capacity of each ride is MUCH less than WDW (for example, Splash can handle about 1/2 what Splash at WDW can handle, POTC - maybe 2/3....but most are less...)

Also - to the point of total immersion - you could not be more correct - it is REALLY WEIRD riding the monorail past a super 8 motel and gas station...

[ July 08, 2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: miasdad ]

Dreamin' of Disney
07-08-2004, 12:14 PM
Thank you so much for posting this info, I've never been to DL in Cali, and wasn't really all that interested until your post! I think it is something that I'd like to aim to do in the near future! Thanks again!!

miasdad
07-08-2004, 12:26 PM
One other thing - then I promise I will stop!!

We had non-stop flights on America West from Boston to LA at $279 round trip!!

We booked the Disneyland Hotel at $139 per night on expedia.com...

wdwjoe
07-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Great comparison and great comments following it. I agree that DL is more intimate, but I prefer WDW due to the before mentioned total immersion factor. I also noticed 3 years ago when we went that DL has many teens working. Other observations-

I find PoC and iasw to be superior at DL
Splash, HM are better at WDW.

I wish WDW had Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn, Toad :( , and pinochio.

I wish DL has a castle that you could see from all parts of the park.

wdwjoe
07-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Great comparison and great comments following it. I agree that DL is more intimate, but I prefer WDW due to the before mentioned total immersion factor. I also noticed 3 years ago when we went that DL has many teens working. Other observations-

I find PoC and iasw to be superior at DL
Splash, HM are better at WDW.

I wish WDW had Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn, Toad :( , and pinochio.

I wish DL has a castle that you could see from all parts of the park.

gregburg
07-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Back in 93, I was at WDW for a week, then a week later I was at a conference in LA. As part of the conference they rented out DL for the night. The most striking difference that I saw was the size of the castle and main street. It seemed so small.

-Greg

wendy*darling
07-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Great comparison miasdad. graemlins/mickey.gif

We were just at DLR for the first time last week, but we are WDW veterans.
We LOVED the DLR- everyting about it.
I tried not to compare too much. They are different, but the same. :confused: You know?
Main Street in DL felt so right, even though I had never been there. And the Castle IS small- but very pretty.

We too, stayed in the Disneyland Hotel. A great place, nice CMs, great pool. We had a view of the pool, but could watch the fireworks from the concierge lounge.

The monrail- They are much smaller! My son hit his head on the roof getting out the first day- it really surprised him!

My family LOVED California Adventure. The rides, just the whole feel. They really enjoyed going in early every mornig to ride ToT. We used Fast Pass just about everywhere to cut out the lines.

And I couldn't agree with you more... Soarin' is now MY very favorite Disney ride, anywhere. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the post miasdad. I have posted all my trip reports and pictures over in the Trip Reports forum, if anyone is interested.

We are definitely going back to Disneyland!

dizneyworld4430
07-08-2004, 09:47 PM
disneyland may have been the first orignal park but disney world is still the best. so much bigger and it will always change. 30000 acers give it alot of room to play because not even half of that is used