PDA

View Full Version : Exactly how many Gs????

docswife
10-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know the exact # of Gs that you experience on Mission:Space????

Many rides have it posted or state it at some point while on line.

I'm trying to explain the ride to my sister who can't grasp it and thinks she has probably pulled more Gs on some roller coasters she's been on :rolleyes: . I don't think so tongue.gif !!!!!

MusicalMike95
10-29-2003, 06:46 PM
I don't know how many Gs it pulls, but as far as comparing it to a roller coaster, remember that on a coaster the amount of time where you feel the most Gs is usually very short. On Mission: Space you feel it in the same direction for a much longer period of time. I would make the comparison to the Gravitron rides where you stick to the wall, only Mission: Space is much, MUCH better.

Mufasa
10-29-2003, 09:02 PM
The Mission: SPACE ride system is able to produce a maximum of about 2.5 Gs (sustained). The key here is sustained G forces. On a roller coaster like Rock 'n Roller Coaster when you enter into that first inversion, you may pull around 4-5 Gs but only for a fraction of a second while with Mission: SPACE those G forces last several seconds.

Mission: SPACE has been described as a simulator, but trust me- you really are moving (at it's peak, it's circling at 16 rpm or roughly 35 mph).

[ October 29, 2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Mufasa ]

DownWithEpcotHand
10-31-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Mufasa:

Mission: SPACE has been described as a simulator, but trust me- you really are moving (at it's peak, it's circling at 16 rpm or roughly 35 mph). There is no possible way 16 revolutions per minute would equal 35 mph. Given the radius of the fuge, it would actually come out to be something much slower. Think about it, 16 rpm would equal 0.2 revolutions per second. Meaning every second you would move 2 10ths of the way around the circle. Movement that slowly wouldn't produce any sort of noticable g-force. Does anyone have the exact radius of the centrifuge so I can calculate the true rpms?

[ October 31, 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: DownWithEpcotHand ]

Mufasa
10-31-2003, 01:33 PM
The length of an arm of the centrifuge from the center to the pod is roughly 30 feet. (the total circumference of the centrifuge is 185 feet).

DownWithEpcotHand
10-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Mufasa:
The length of an arm of the centrifuge from the center to the pod is roughly 30 feet. (the total circumference of the centrifuge is 185 feet).

DownWithEpcotHand
10-31-2003, 04:46 PM
Hmm... with that circumferance the speed does in fact turn out to be 34mph. Are you sure about the 185 ft? That seems incredibly huge for one of them considering there are 4 in the building. Where did you get that data from?

Mufasa
10-31-2003, 05:16 PM
I'm one of the imagineers who worked on the attraction smile.gif A 60 foot diamater for each of the 4 centrifuge pads isn't really that large. There were images taken via satellite that you can find on the internet that show relatively how large the concrete pads are that support each centrifuge. (looking at the building from what you see from within the park is a bit misleading as to the total size of the show building).

[ October 31, 2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Mufasa ]

cooperation
10-31-2003, 05:39 PM
So let see if I can grasp this...the capsule and seats are upright upon entering the ride. The centrifuge arms are parallel to the horizon. As the ride starts the capsule gradually turns until it is actually parallel to the ground also, like the centifuge we've all seen in NASA training films. You really don't know that your laying down because you have no outside point of reference...am I getting there yet?

Your feet are the farthest part of your body from the center of the centrifuge and it is not upright as a traditional ferris wheel is.