PDA

View Full Version : Stroller/Wheelchair Rental Tip!

Main Street Jim
02-21-2004, 04:45 PM
For those of you that intend to rent the Disney strollers and wheelchairs, here's a few helpful tips!

At Magic Kingdom, if you intend to take the WDW Railroad, but get off at a different stop, just take your personal belongings with you along with your nametag and receipt. When you reach your next (different) stop (and not a complete trip), you can just pick up a stroller at that stop. Pretty cool, huh? ;)

If you are park-hopping during the day, or coming back to the same park, same thing. Just take your personal stuff with you, nametag and receipt, and pick up a stroller or wheelchair at the next destination.

This may save you some $$$! You don't have to pay separately for each park! graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Pirate Storm
02-22-2004, 08:30 AM
Thanks Jim, I never knew that. I know I have paid twice in the past for strollers while park hopping.

Momof2boys
02-23-2004, 09:30 AM
I never thought about that for the train ! Thanks so much !

Vacation Dad
02-23-2004, 12:22 PM
We plan on getting a wheelchair for Mom. So we can board the train with no worries on getting a new chair at an intermediate stop, or is it only a stroller?

Also, what about the name tag? Is this something she will get when she rents a wheelchair?

Thanks in advance for the answers. This will be our first trip necessitating a wheelchair.

pbahm
02-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Main Street Jim:
Suppose that DW visitors do as your tip suggests.
Suppose that I leave a wheel chair at point "a" and get on the train. When I return to point "a" to pick up my wheelchair, there are none left because other visitors chose not to return to where they originated.
This means at point "a" there are no more wheelchairs, but at points "b" and "c" there are too many.
What do I do now for a wheelchair that I paid for when I return to point "a"?

This is just a "what if" scenario.

Noah's Helper
02-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Our family has taken advantage of this a few times. It is a handy tip to know.

We only had one very minor problem. When we exited the train station at Splash Mountain (!) we didn't see the strollers right away so we headed out the exit expecting to find them at the bottom of the stairs. We had to ask where to find them, then had to head back upstairs to get one. graemlins/crazy.gif

Turns out there are two exits from the station; had we turned right to exit (I think) instead of left, we would have seen the strollers right there at the station (by the ramp, naturally).

alittle figment of your imagination
02-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Thanks Jim I wasn't sure about this smile.gif

Main Street Jim
02-24-2004, 07:02 AM
Wheelchairs can get on the train, as we have one car designated for wheelchairs. However, we can not take ECVs on board. You can just board with your wheelchair. We just can't take the rental WDW strollers because there's no where to put them on the train.

With regards to wheelchairs, the electric hand-controlled wheelchairs can board as well; just no ECVs as they will not fit into the wheelchair area.

If there are no strollers at your destination stop for the train, you can pick up strollers at the Frontierland Trading Post (next to Country Bear Jamboree), Tinker Bell's Treasures, and Tomorrowland Arcade. At Frontierland, there should be strollers on the platform on your LEFT (opposite of the ramp) as you exit.

Becky2005
02-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Can you take owned strollers on train? I'm assuming collapsed of course (we have one that is not quite an umbrella stroller but not a huge one either...mid-sized), so am thinking wouldn't want to leave our personal one behind if we are stopping mid-way somewhere. :confused: Or do all strollers need to be left behind and we have to get back to point A to get it?

Just curious.

LucyDriver
02-24-2004, 12:55 PM
We did this back in 1997 and 1998. worked like a charm. We don't need the strollers now, unless they make strollers for the parents that the kids can push!!

Beach Club Babe
02-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by pbahm:
Main Street Jim:
Suppose that DW visitors do as your tip suggests.
Suppose that I leave a wheel chair at point "a" and get on the train. When I return to point "a" to pick up my wheelchair, there are none left because other visitors chose not to return to where they originated.
This means at point "a" there are no more wheelchairs, but at points "b" and "c" there are too many.
What do I do now for a wheelchair that I paid for when I return to point "a"?

This is just a "what if" scenario. If you rent a wheelchair or stroller and leave it at say Main St., when you return to Main St. It will still be there. Your nametag will be on it and unless some inconsiderate person "steals" your wheelchair or stroller it will be there waiting for you. They do not give away wheelchairs or strollers of those that are rented and have nametags on. They have an extra supply at each station. "Stealing" can happen anywhere you leave the wheelchair or stroller. This happened at PotC to our friends. We left the wheelchair in the designated area and when we returned from the ride it was gone. It turns out that there was an emergency and instead of using the wheelchair that belonged at Pirates they took my friends. It just so happened that it was absolutely pouring when we came out. The CM sent me over to Frontierland trading Post to get one, but they were out. The CM then had to send someone to the front of the park to get my friend another one.

[ February 24, 2004, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Beach Club Babe ]

Main Street Jim
02-24-2004, 11:50 PM
Yes, you can take your own personal strollers on the train, provided they are collapsed/folded first BEFORE you try to go through the turnstiles. I see too many guests at Frontierland try to carry an OPEN stroller UP the steps, then realize, "Dang", they gotta fold it up anyways to get it on the train. If they'da folded it in the first place...LOL...

Oh...and DO NOT get caught trying to use the wheelchair ramps and entrances for strollers, because you *will* be sent back downstairs to fold the stroller and then carry it right back up the steps ;)

I always try to catch guests at Frontierland trying to take their strollers up the ramps there BEFORE the Railraod CM gets to them. Some of 'em just look at me like, "You don't work at the trains, why should I listen to you?" only to come right back down the ramp fifteen seconds later because they got caught....LOL

Becky2005
02-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the info!

I haven't been to WDW since I was about 7 and that was back when Magic Kingdom was all there was!

It's nice to know these little tidbits to make things run smoother as otherwise I would be wandering around clueless making all sorts of silly mistakes graemlins/rotfl.gif that if I know ahead of time will make life easier.