PDA

View Full Version : Flag Retreat

hiddenmickey
06-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Has anyone seen this? Does it start at 5 or 5:30? I have it as starting at both of those times in different books that I have? Also, how long does it last? I am working on planning our our daily schedule. smile.gif

magickingdom67
06-28-2003, 01:25 PM
When I was there last for Retreat it was at 5pm. That was a year ago though so maybe it has changed.

beth
06-28-2003, 01:27 PM
I think it was at 5 when I saw it (nearly 2 years ago though). The whole process takes about 15 minutes or so (it's more than just lowering and folding the flag). It's a really nice pause in the day to remember what America really is.

Freetime
06-28-2003, 01:32 PM
I participated in the Flag Ceremony on May 1st of this year. It starts at 5pm. They prefer to have Veterans perform this and if you are a Veteran and interested, you should let it be known over at Guest Relations on Main Street. You may not get to do it that day, but they might be able to schedule a day sometime during your trip.

The Veteran assists 3 Guards with the ceremony by marching up to the flag, rendering a proper salute (hand over heart while in civilian dress) during the lowering. The Veteran receives the Flag and marches back, almost to Main Street Station, where the band is playing and after a few words is said, Marches off with the Guards for a small presentation for your assistance.

I received a special PIN-Trading Pin that is only given out to those that perform this duty and also a Personalized Certificate.

Tony

hiddenmickey
06-28-2003, 01:48 PM
Where in Main street does this ceremony take place?

beth
06-28-2003, 02:33 PM
It's right in the little square as you walk into the park. Where the big flag pole is! ;) Close to the Roy & Minnie statue.

hiddenmickey
06-28-2003, 02:57 PM
there's a Roy and Minnie statue? That's interesting. I knew about the Partners one with Walt and Mickey...but never heard of Roy and Minnie. smile.gif

bellerose
06-28-2003, 03:27 PM
I SAW THE FLAG RETREAT A MONTH AFTER SEPT. 11 HAPPENED. IT WAS VERY MOVING. EVERYONE WAS SILENT AND WHEN IT WAS OVER, THERE WAS A LOUD AND LONG APPLAUSE. IT WAS GREAT!!!

Nick
06-28-2003, 03:28 PM
Thats awesome bellrose.

Freetime
06-28-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by hiddenmickey:
there's a Roy and Minnie statue? That's interesting. I knew about the Partners one with Walt and Mickey...but never heard of Roy and Minnie. smile.gif I guess folks just move from the tunnel under the Main Street Station and on to the Center of Main Street without looking... The little park with the Flag and Roy and Minnie has some benches to sit at as well.

While at the park with Main Street Jim last May, we witnessed something REALLY odd. We were going to get some pictures of the Statues of Roy and Minnie. Roy is seated... Well these teenage girls came and took turns sitting on his lap before we could get our shot. They kept kissing Roy's Statue and having their picture taken by their friends... It was when they were done, that Jim finally said that it was a statue of Roy Disney and not Walt... Several of the girls were crying "Yuck.. We didn't even kiss the right guy!" graemlins/silly.gif graemlins/silly.gif

Tony

sgdisney
06-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Freetime:

They kept kissing Roy's Statue and having their picture taken by their friends... It was when they were done, that Jim finally said that it was a statue of Roy Disney and not Walt... Several of the girls were crying "Yuck.. We didn't even kiss the right guy!" graemlins/silly.gif graemlins/silly.gif

Tony How funny! Thanks for the info on the flag retreat. We have a PS for Tony's at 5:30 on our last night at WDW in August and hope to catch it before dinner.

Ghost1000
06-29-2003, 01:59 AM
I saw the flag retreat about a month ago and it was held at 5:00pm. As another member wrote, it lasts approximately 15 minutes and does make for a good close of the day. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Disney-4-Me
06-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Teenage girls are a riot aren't they?

The Flag Retreat Ceremony is worth seeing at least once on each vacation. It's nice to see so many people stopping and quietly watching the ceremony.

The flag ceremony with the fife and drum corp in front of America at Epcot is also touching.