PDA

View Full Version : Getting Wet

4everyoung
06-20-2002, 07:13 AM
I have never been on Splash Mountain and wondered how wet do you really get. I don't like getting soaked because I am uncomfortable the rest of the day. Who wants to walk around in soaking wet shoes, etc. That's why I never enjoyed the flume type rides. So....how drenched are you on SM? Thanks.

marlyn
06-20-2002, 07:17 AM
If you sit in the front you may get pretty wet. The back is really not that bad at all. I stayed pretty dry in the back.
Disney uses a lot of effects to make the splash look worse than it is...like water cannons shooting just as you hit bottom. You will get some water on you no matter what. Ride during the hottest part of day then you will dry quickly. Or, ride Space mountain right after and the fast ride will dry you off ;)

mickeyd
06-20-2002, 09:02 AM
marlyn is right. Disney makes it look a lot wetter than it really is. Riding up back, you hardly get a splash. Up the front you do get a bit wet, but not soaked. You'll easily dry off in a few minutes of the Florida sun.

Now the Kali River Rapid ride, that is another story - you will get soaked. And that, my friends, is why I have never been on it. I don't like getting soaked to the bone either. :D

Disney-4-Me
06-20-2002, 10:00 AM
Getting wet on Splash Mountain has a lot more to do with after your ride than during it. We always get the wettest from other logs coming down the last drop than from ours. This has more to do with luck than anything else. Also, if you get stopped in a line right next to the waterfall while you are waiting to disembark, the people on the right will get sprayed from that. I hate getting wet down to my shoes too but I have never gotten soaked on Splash after many rides on it.

Diane

imported_PolyGirl40
06-20-2002, 11:44 AM
I'm not a fan of getting wet. We have gotten drenched on Splash Mountain. However, never our shoes. :D

I suggest wearing one of the rain ponchos available at the Parks. You can avoid getting soaked and still enjoy the rides.

BATWS Frank
06-20-2002, 11:59 AM
I concur with what everyone has said. I've been on a bunch of times, and while I've gotten significantly wet sometimes, it's never the "OMG! MY SHOES ARE WATERLOGGED!" feeling. My shoes are as good as garbage if they get wet. That's why I have never been on Kali RR. One of these days I'm going to wear a bathing suit, t-shirt and some sandals, as well as bring a back-up shirt to wear when the other one is soaked.

Jeff
06-20-2002, 12:02 PM
Always sit on the left. This will "help" avoid being splashed from other logs at the end of the ride and also avoid the splash from the waterfall near the end.

Don't get in a log with a very big guy in the fron (like me). It seems to make the logs splash at the end mush wetter. In fact, if you ride with a big guy or two put them in the back. This will raise the front more and cut out some of the splash.

DisneyTeen
06-20-2002, 12:04 PM
the waterfall on at the end is the worst part. if you log stops there you are going to get as wet, if not more, then what you did going down the big hill.

ParkHopper
06-20-2002, 12:06 PM
I also agree with everyone else - you don't normally get soaked on Splash Moutain. Most times it is not the drop into the briar patch it is the water from other logs dropping as you go around the corner. If you get stuck there-watch out!

You will get drenched on Kali River Rapids!

faline
06-20-2002, 12:08 PM
The last time I did this ride, I was soaked! And that was from getting stuck at that end waterfall!

We did Kali River Rapids on a day we planned to go to a water park. We put our suits and sandals on. I had a long cover-up that looked more like a sun dress than anything else. We went off to AK, roke only this ride (obviously not caring is we got wet) and then headed right on over to the water park.

DisneyFanaticDargon
06-20-2002, 01:51 PM
When it comes to water flumes it also depends upon how much weight is in the front of the log as compared to how much is in the back. If the weight is evenly dispersed throughout the log, the water really won't do much more than sprinkle you. I've actually found myself getting wetter on the bridge overlooking the drop moreso than the actual ride. However, if you had say...two full grown men in the front seat you have a better chance of getting wetter in the first and second row. The back row hardly ever gets wet, so you're safe back there. Faline is right, Kali River Rapids is the one to go on if you're looking to get drenched. Of course stupid me and my dad decided it wouldn't be that bad (not knowing about the drop of course) and went on in our regular clothes, Thank God we had the foresight to take off our shoes and socks. We were the ones with our backs facing the bottom of the drop and when we hit bottom...well...let's just say me and him were both freezing in the Rainforest Cafe's air conditioning later...

[ June 20, 2002, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: DisneyFanaticDargon ]

SgtTigger
06-20-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by DisneyTeen:
the waterfall on at the end is the worst part. if you log stops there you are going to get as wet, if not more, then what you did going down the big hill.Disneyteen you could have told me this before I went on the 11th of June. I hate drops (yes even the drop on splash) but on E-night my wife and niece rode it and had a ball. They kept asking me to go on so I did. That drop is dark at night no lights. Well after I got over that we stop at the waterfall. I was in the back seat graemlins/shakehead.gif We sat there for a few minutes getting splashed then they yell O no.... well a log came down and these water cannons went off..... :eek: guess who got splashed..... ME They thought it was hilarious because only the back seat got wet which is where I was sitting..... It was not that wet though and was still a ball

graemlins/doubleeek.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

DSNY FN
06-20-2002, 11:35 PM
We have ridden Splash with a log full of 8 adultas and we were in the second row and we got just drenched from our row back the first row didn't get wet as the splash went up and over them.

Jared
06-21-2002, 06:58 AM
I've noticed that it doesn't always matter where you're sitting. You can be sitting in the back left, which is supposed to be the "driest seat" but still get drenched if there are a couple of heavyweights in the front seats.
No matter what, have a great time!

ChipnDaleGal
06-21-2002, 07:05 AM
On Splash Mountain,which is our favorite ride, we have gotten quite wet. It is usually confined to upper body though. Your feet are kinda tucked in under the log part of the ride. I hate having soggy feet too, and I have never gotten them on Splash. Now a sopping wet head of hair is a serious possibility. But getting wet is so worth it for the whole experience. The story that is going on during the ride is so colorful and entertaining. We still find new things and we have ridden it at least 50 times. The big plummet is so much fun, and we like it even better at night. So beautiful. I think most people enjoy Splash a lot. Let us know if you ever try it. smile.gif

[ June 21, 2002, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: ChipnDaleGal ]

HitchhikinGhost
06-21-2002, 09:31 AM
My DD age 9 and I have done this ride countless times and whether there are people upfront or no people except us in the "log", we seem to have the best luck of staying dry in the 3rd seat back and we lean to the left. I still feel the "wettest" part of the ride, if sitting in the 3rd
seat, is the water canon that shoots off as a log goes down the big drop and your log is cued up waiting to go on to the long conveyor belt.

SpecJoe Magic
06-21-2002, 03:47 PM
Splash Mountain is my favorite attraction in all of WDW. I have never gotten what I would call soaked. I guess everyone has a different idea of what soaked is. Give it a try and don't worry about getting wet. After all, you are at WDW and you will dry out. It is "Disney Magic Water" so it dries much quicker. graemlins/silly.gif