PDA

View Full Version : Epcot and a 7-year old, need some fast advice.

PrincessDana
06-12-2002, 10:45 PM
Hey everyone, I need some expert advice. My DD (age 7) and I will be hitting Epcot on Monday (our first day in the parks) and I need some advice on attractions she will enjoy. Nothing fast or scary will do as she's not very brave and I don't want to scar her for life on her first WDW trip. I wanted to split our day up by arriving at 9, staying in FW until 11 then heading over to WS. Taking a break in the afternoone and heading back to CBR, then coming back to FW for another two hours or so and back to WS until about 8:30 (maybe hopping the monorail over to MK since it doesn't close until 11, but we may be too tired then). Does anyone have any suggestions on what my daughter will like and what I should avoid (either because it's uninteresting for her or will scare her pants off). **I had planned on touring The Living Seas but read in another post they had changed it :(

Thanks for any advice or help!!!

Dana

June 16-22, 2002 CBR graemlins/mickey.gif

Womble
06-13-2002, 01:01 AM
I think the day you have planned is excellent, I personally always take a break from the parks for a couple of hours. I do think going to MK after a day of Epcot may be a bit much, MK will be busy, but it depends on how tired you are.

Rides and shows which may scare your DD.
Honey I Shrunk the audience! This show gets quite loud and there are some special effects, which will make you jump. It makes me jump and I know what is coming. (My DD was six when she first saw it and she loved it! But she is quite a tough flower!)
Test Track is a fast ride. I suggest going to the front of the pavilion and watch the cars go past. The noise and speed is more frightening off the ride, than on it.

I would recommend going to the Living Seas it is still a great pavilion. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

imported_PolyGirl40
06-13-2002, 06:49 AM
My son was 7 in February when we toured Epcot. He loved getting his Passport stamped in the World Showcase. I highly recommend purchasing one upon your arrival. The Kidstop stations are great fun, if your child likes that sort of thing. (Mine does.) They make a mask and add to it in every country. They also receive a "star" to place in the Dream Catcher's basket during the Tapestry of Dreams parade.

Do not miss the parade and Illuminations. I suggest finding a nice comfortable spot and see them both. They run back to back in the evening.

I would go to all of the Future World pavilions. There is something for everyone, even if you do not partake in the "main" attraction. My son loves Test Track. He could not wait to go back this year and take more spins.

I also agree that heading to the Magic Kingdom after closing Epcot would be too much. I'd start fresh on the next day. Have fun. -- smile.gif

[ June 13, 2002, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

Katzateer
06-13-2002, 07:31 AM
My 7 year old loves The Land Food Rocks, she likes Spaceship Earth. She loves the jumping fountains over by HISTA.

In WS she likes the Mexico ride, getting a passport and stopping at all the kid spots (this takes a lot of time since she likes to do the coloring, decorating on the masks), the parade is one of her favorites. Also, she is into the penny presses and got a little book at EPCOT to get pennies done at the countries. She likes Illuminations. And her favorite performers are in China (the acrobats).

Her favorite place at WDW to eat is Mickey's Garden Grill at The Land. She likes the moving scenery and the characters and the kids food.

At the end of the day we slowly make our way out and she plays with the lights in the sidewalk.

We do other things at EPCOT but those are her favorites.

Swedish Cath
06-13-2002, 08:12 AM
I think planning an afternoon break is a great idea, especially if it is very hot and also as it is your first day and the whole experience will probably be quite overwhelming for your daughter.

If she likes to swim don't be surprised if she doesn't want to return to the parks after your break. Our daughter loved the parks but once she was in the pool at CBR in the afternoon she didn't want to go anywhere else. It suited us to relax by the pool before our evening activity so maybe you won't get back to Epcot but you might get your evening in MK after all.

Have Fun!!!

Pongo
06-13-2002, 09:02 AM
My son was 8 when we went and Epcot was his favorite park. Highlights were: Passport stamped in each country, Cranium Command in the Wonders of Life Pavilion, Ellen's Energy Adventure (he loves dinosaurs), playing on the boat in Norway, the World Showcase Players presenting King Arthur, Ice Station Cool, and the British Invasion. He also loves the Japanese cartoons and could find a lot of related stuff in the Japanese store.

Hope its a wonderful trip!

Gotta Love the TTA
06-13-2002, 10:13 AM
If you think your daughter won't like Test Track, consider yourself lucky.

The lines are ridiculous, and once you get into the building, the music is so loud you will be ill.

There is this huge mob scene to get Fast Passes, which are gone before noon.

Tell here that it is too fast and scary and that should be the end of it.

(this did not work with my DS's 8 & 14, as you might have guessed)

Honey I Shrunk... is OK unless you get creeped out by snakes and mice. Some kids are great in there; lots of them are hysterical. It is a 3-D movie in the dark.

The passports and Kidcot are wonderful--she should love them.

Don't forget to have a beaver tail in Canada. graemlins/clappy.gif

TiggerRPh
06-13-2002, 10:26 AM
I agree that MK after a long day at Epcot would be too much for your daughter. I would stay for IllumiNations...I think she'll like it.

7-years old is a nice age for Epcot...they're at an age where a lot of the information in Future World is interesting for them. I also think the Passport thing in WS is a wonderful idea.

graemlins/mickey.gif

mtk23
06-13-2002, 11:38 AM
My daughters were 7 when we went to WDW for their 1st real trip (we went when they were 2, but don't remember). They absolutely loved Test Track! There isn't really anything scary on that ride, and it only goes fast at the end. It's true that the line is awful during most of the day, but it's not so bad if you head over there as soon as the park opens. We got to Epcot at opening, grabbed fastpasses for TT, the got in the standby line. The wait was about 15 minutes, and when we got off we could ride again with our fastpasses. Now, HISTA was a completely different story. I love all of the 3D movies at WDW, but my girls were scared of this one. I think WS could be tough for some kids, only because it involves a lot of walking. We saw lots of characters at each country, though. BTW, try to check out Ice Station Cool in FW - kids love tast-testing the different sodas from all over the world (and, it's one of the few free things in WDW :D )

Noah's Helper
06-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Katzateer:
In WS she likes the Mexico ride, getting a passport and stopping at all the kid spots (this takes a lot of time since she likes to do the coloring, decorating on the masks),... Our daughter enjoyed decorating her mask too. And yes, it does take up a lot of time.

Don't overlook the live entertainment in World Showcase. Check the schedule for acts that might appeal to your daughter. Our family enjoyed the Chinese acrobats and the African storytellers.

Have fun! graemlins/mickey.gif

Jared
06-13-2002, 10:22 PM
OK, here are my takes on Epcot with a 7 year old. A lot of people say that Epcot is not really made for small kids, but I definitely disagree with that. Epcot can be enjoyed by anyone at any age.

She'll definitely want to start her day inside the "big ball" on Spaceship Earth. That will really get her into the park, and ready for the great day ahead of her.

If she isn't scared of dinosaurs, she will love Ellen's Energy Adventure, at the Universe of Energy. She might not get the show, but she'll love the dinos, and you'll get a good laugh. ;)

Moving over to the Wonders of Life pavilion, Body Wars will be too much for her, so don't even try it. Cranium Command is a must-see.

In The Land, Living With the Land is a boat ride that you all will enjoy. Once again, she might not fully get it, but she'll enjoy it, and so will you. Food Rocks, and Circle of Life are both small shows, that have their perks. I like Food Rocks more than Circle of Life.

If she likes fish, a stop at The Living Seas is a must. You can spend as much, or as little time in there as you want. It may be old, but is still fun.

Test Track might be too much for her. Watch it before making a decision.

Over at Imagination!, the new Journey Into Imagination with Figment will be loved by all, but, Honey, I Shrunk the Audience might be too much for her.

The World Showcase is great fun. Make sure you stop at the KidCOT Fun Stations along the way, and stay for Illuminations, as it will probably be the highlight of the day for both of you.

Don't try to go to MK afterwards. You will be beat.

Hope this helps! graemlins/mickey.gif

PrincessDana
06-13-2002, 11:03 PM
graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif

Y'all are super!!! Thanks for all the info!! Only 1 day and 5 hours left, or 107460 seconds to go, wait... now only 107450 seconds to go!!!

Thanks again!!!

CJR
06-14-2002, 12:05 AM
Your day sounds good, but whatever you do, make sure you stay for Illuminations! That was the show that made my last trip a blast! graemlins/clappy.gif

twinmom
06-15-2002, 05:02 PM
my kids absolutely loved imagination pavilion and the interactive fountains outside. I almost couldn't get them to see anything else in the park! Honey I shrunk the audience was way too much for them. We only made it thru about the first 5 minutes. They loved Icestation Cool, The Seas and Food Rocks.

THe lands were great-they loved making masks in the kidcot area and don't miss the minature town in Germany and the park for kids to climb around which, i think, is right after it. you can't go wrong with the tapestry parade and fireworks graemlins/clappy.gif