PDA

View Full Version : Attraction of the Week -- Maelstrom 11-18

imported_PolyGirl40
11-18-2001, 02:58 PM
Who doesn’t love this attraction?

My son was a bit fidgety when he caught a glimpse of the mean ol’ ugly troll graemlins/thedolls.gif -- but loved the boat ride! I never read anything about the attraction before going on it for the first time. Was I the only one who had bulging eyes when the doors opened? graemlins/doubleeek.gif

I only wish it were longer!

Has everyone found the Hidden graemlins/mickey.gif ?
Look in the mural above the line for a Viking wearing Mickey Mouse ears.

Is it true -- that you get a better view from the back of the boat?

smile.gif

EvaBryan
11-18-2001, 03:36 PM
My sister almost cried when she saw the ride from the outside - she thought that the boat would tip backwards and fall out of the building. graemlins/shakehead.gif

I love this ride - and the Norwegian men! I even stay for the movie - it's very short and it's nice to sit for a couple of minutes if it is hot outside.

One complaint: the ride is too short. :(

MNNHFLTX
11-18-2001, 04:03 PM
Yeah, that troll instilled some fear into my son too--this the kid that loves any and all rollercoasters! He had gone on it once at 6-years-old and wouldn't go on it again until he was 8. Then he proclaimed that it "wasn't as scary as I remembered."

My favorite part of the ride is after the last flume when you're floating by (underneath) that oil rig. I know that sounds strange, but it is just so easy to imagine really being there! smile.gif

DisneyWizard
11-18-2001, 05:49 PM
Ah Maelstrom - the ride I get dragged on every trip. :rolleyes:

I used to dislike this ride, but after the second time on it I got used to it. Who couldn't love that opening line, "You are not the first to pass this vay, nor shall you be the last."?

My favorite part is going backwards with the magic spells circling above your head. I also like the oil rig part.

And doesn't the queue for the movie feel like a real Norwegian village? graemlins/crazy.gif

mtk23
11-18-2001, 06:18 PM
I too like the area where you disembark from the boat. I'll have to keep an eye out for that hidden mickey!

Goofy Forever
11-18-2001, 07:40 PM
Being of Norwegian heritage, I love this ride and especially this pavillion.

GoofyBarney
11-18-2001, 08:09 PM
The Maelstrom is great!

The first I rode it I thought it was just a leisurely boat ride.

Boy was I wrong! :eek:

graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

Bluecoat89
11-18-2001, 09:31 PM
graemlins/thumbsup.gif Big thumbs up from me. I like to sit in the back to see all the magic dust thrown you. That would be the only advantage to sitting in the back.

I once jumped in to the line before Illuminations and got a boat all to my self. Very Cool :D

I also like the village at the end. It sounds and looks like you are in the counry of Norway. The movie has a great sound track. I have a copy of the movie and love listening to the music from the movie!

I jumped the first time I saw the polar bear right next to the river. redface.gif I did not expect that at all.

MickeyMoose15
11-18-2001, 10:17 PM
When I was really young (Man, I was a BIG chicken back then!), I was afraid of the Maelstrom because it had that drop that went backwards.

"BACK! BACK! OVER THE FALLS!"

:eek: :eek:

Dawn
11-19-2001, 05:04 AM
*singing and dancing wildly* - I've seen the hidden Mickey. graemlins/mickey.gif

AndrewJackson
11-19-2001, 07:12 AM
I love the village where you wait for the movie. I could just sit there and watch the people go by. The first time my son saw the movie, he jumped about 3 feet out of his seat. :eek: It is a little loud.

Nom
11-19-2001, 09:08 AM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MNNHFL:
My favorite part of the ride is after the last flume when you're floating by (underneath) that oil rig. I know that sounds strange, but it is just so easy to imagine really being there! smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

I agree completely! This is my favorite part of the ride. You can feel the strong arctic wind!

jwold
11-19-2001, 09:30 AM
Big Time Maelstrom fan. Glad to see it finally getting the accolades it deserves.

Bonus- Norway is home to the "Best looking woman in Epcot"

roses
11-19-2001, 10:07 AM
I went on this about 10 yrs ago I think, so I don't remember it too much. I'll make a point of riding it when i go in January or February. graemlins/idea.gif

JabberJaws
11-19-2001, 11:54 AM
I love it too..very well done attraction..packs quite a punch for such a short ride..when i was younger the visage of Odin( i believe it is Odin anyways) on the lift hill up to the attraction used to scare the bejeebus out of me! I think they did quite a good job considering the size and length of the attraction! graemlins/thumbsup.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif I give it 2 thumbs up!

Disneywarrior
11-19-2001, 01:32 PM
I love this attraction! My favorite part is the oil rig. :D

frakers
11-19-2001, 03:30 PM
This is a "must do" attraction. The phrase "you are not de first to pass dis vay" has made its way into our everyday life. And yes, the village is so cool and well done. I really feel like it is evening in a fishing village.
The line is always short or moving very quickly. I was very surprised to see it get fastpassed.

The Blue Fairy
11-19-2001, 10:17 PM
This is one of our fav World Showcase attractions. Although we might be a little partial since my husband's heritage is Norwegian and our last name also ends in "STROM", but overall, I think it's a wonderful ride especially at night.

Disney2002
11-19-2001, 11:22 PM
I must say that the attraction to this ride is really odd... BUT I LOVE IT TOO. It really isn't that thrilling... it surely isn't that long... but it has some charm to it that keep the lines steady and the interest constant. I don't know why... maybe the unique fantasy nature of it.... but I agree... that opening line "you are not zee first to pass dees vay" How awesome is that!

darthmacho
11-20-2001, 08:51 AM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jwold:
Bonus- Norway is home to the "Best looking woman in Epcot"<hr></blockquote>

I totally agree! Those women are as lovely as the Valkyries! graemlins/notworthy.gif

I love the Trolls, the Three-headed one and the Giant one that rises out of the water sending the ship careening backwards!

Also, the Polar Bear is totally cool too! :cool:

Finally: Norway fact: The days of the week are derived from the Scandinavian Pantheon, i.e. Wednesday is Odin's Day, or Woden's Day, Thursday is Thor's Day, and so on ... graemlins/mike.gif

brer frog
11-20-2001, 08:57 AM
This is the best ride in the world showcase. I'm suprissed that other countries don't have rides. graemlins/mickey.gif

Jared
11-20-2001, 03:42 PM
This is one of those attractions that we always say we are definitely going to do, and then always miss it. It goes something like this... I'm all ready after hours of touring Future World, to hit the World Showcase. My dad and brother want to head back to IOA for another goaround on Spiderman and Dudley Do-Right. My mom is just too tired to walk any longer, and my sister doesn't care one way or another. Of course, I always lose, and we never get around the World Showcase. I've only done the loop once, and I barely remember it. graemlins/blush.gif

Nom
11-21-2001, 02:37 PM
I always feel bad though about the movie- a lot of people just walk right through the movie to the exit and don't sit down to see it- it always makes me feel bad for the kids from norway who are working there, like we don't care about their culture.

I love the movie, I always feel embarrassed that so many people don't stay!

faline
11-21-2001, 02:50 PM
I know what you mean. I generally always stay for the movie. The one time we walked through was because it took us longer to get through the ride than we anticipated and we had PS that we would be late for otherwise. I still felt badly and as though we were being rude.

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: faline ]</p>

MickeyMoose15
11-21-2001, 09:34 PM
We always seem to skip the movie because I saw it once when I was young and thought it was stupid.