PDA

View Full Version : Young 'uns and Haunted Mansion

ryca1dreams
06-18-2002, 11:56 PM
Hey ya'll,
I love HM and think it showcases some of the best Imagineering in the MK. However, I'm trying to figure out the best way to convince my 5 year old that it is all in fun and not really "scary" (in the traditional sense). Just saying "Let's go to the Haunted Mansion" is likely to cause some unease. He's a pretty adventurous guy but you never know with kids. We've watched the Sing-along Disneyland video (with the Grim Grinning Ghosts segment) and that was positive. Any other hints on how to ease him into the HM both before we arrive and when we're actually in line looking at the Mansion?
I realize all kids are different, but any experiences will help.

DSNY FN
06-19-2002, 12:01 AM
We took our 5 year old on it ths past Dec and thought she would be scared to death of it but we also went out and bought Disneys magical racing game and it has a section where you race through HM so we pointed out everything she would likeley see and she went on the ride and just loved it. So try the game if nothing else you will have a great time playing it.

Jared
06-19-2002, 07:10 AM
I love that Magical Racing Game! It really does showcase the Haunted Mansion, and will show him what he will see on the actual attraction. My sister has loved the Haunted Mansion since she was 3 years old. Most kids do not have a problem with it. Remind him that it will be dark, and there will be some spooky things, but nothing's going to happen, and he will love the ride as much as we all do. ;)

marlyn
06-19-2002, 07:55 AM
Before we went with our boys when they were 5, we told them it was Casper the Friendly Ghost's House!
We also told them that it was all pretend, and that Mickey would never let anything hurt them.
They Loved the ride! They were giggling and trying to spot all the goblins that pop up from behind the grave stones.
They kept yelling.."there's one, there's one". It was so cute. They wanted to go right back on once we got off. graemlins/clappy.gif
Oh, and the Magic Racing Tour game is awesome. We didn't have it before we went last time, but got it the following year!
If you have a good attitude and talk over everything before you go, it'll be fine.
We also rented a movie called "A day at Disneyland". It wasn't WDW, but it gave the boys an idea of what to expect at the Magic Kingdom.
We had to be sure to point out that the Matterhorn was not at WDW like in the video. And, when we were at MK, one of the boys said..."where's Alice in Wonderland" ;)

[ June 19, 2002, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: marlyn ]

Womble
06-19-2002, 08:20 AM
I used to work on the idea if you don’t want them to do, or go on something they would want to do the opposite! The way it worked was my brother would say to my daughter who was 6 at the time. Oh the Haunted Mansion… It will be too scary for you. You are too young; it is so dark you will be scared. It is really noisy. She hated the dark and loud things. When we got to the park she was determined to go in the haunted mansion. This is where Daddy becomes the protector. I explain the real scary parts “like the room with no doors also the lightening.” I explain once inside the buggy we could not get out and if she was scared just close her eyes, hold my hand and nothing would touch her. This worked a treat I think she would have got out and danced with the ghosts on our second time around!
I think no matter which way you try (I like the video/game idea); it is important that THEY want or are willing to go on the ride. I hate seeing parents/guardians dragging an upset child on a ride saying things like. ”You must go on, we’ve paid to get in!” or “You’ll be alright! you’re a big kid now!” :mad:

CuteAsMinnie
06-19-2002, 09:05 AM
The kids have always loved the Disneyland video with the Grim Grinning Ghosts. That segment was always one of her favorites! However, when my dd was 5 1/2 and we went to Disney, we were waiting in line for Haunted Mansion and much to our surprise, she just flipped out...started crying and screaming. We tried to reassure her that she has been on the ride before and nothing is really scary, etc. Well we got into the elevator and she just wailed and dh took her out just before the door closed. Towards the end of the trip, she finally suggest herself she'd like to try the ride and did fine. It certainly helped that little bro. loved all the spooks to no end. Four years later, they both love HH, but dd remembers being afraid of the elevator.

CinderellyCinderelly
06-19-2002, 09:23 AM
I know that of course children know what scares them but sometimes they feed off of their parents reaction and worry. So if your child sees that you are question whether or not she will be scared she may think...well why should I be scared? This must be scary! Of course thats not ALL of the time but it happens. Also you could just make really light of the situation! Joke around with them about the different things especially in the ballroom scene. Explain the premise of the ride in a non chalant way and then gage their reaction. If they seem to get tense or nervous ask them if they would rather do something else. The big thing is..just don't force a child to do a ride. I can't stand when I see parents do this because it just looks SO traumatic! Well I hope you guys have fun! ;)

DisneyDreamer
06-19-2002, 09:49 AM
A few years ago I took my 8 year old niece on the HM ride with me. Now, this is a little girl who was affraid of Muppet Vision 3D???!! (I'm not sure why.) Anyway, she really wanted to go on the ride with me and what I did was prepare her by saying that the ride is really silly, and they decorate everything like it is Halloween all year long! I made it a point to laugh at certain things just to make her comfortable. Of course the whole time I had my arm around her and made her feel safe just in case. I'm sure your 5 year old will be fine. My two sons were a little skeptical also, but loved it. Have fun!

VickiP
06-19-2002, 09:56 AM
My two boys (7 and 4 years old) definitely did NOT want to ride the Haunted Mansion. I bought the same video and showed them that it was just lights and special effects kind of like the movies. The ghosts are silly and they just 'pretend to terrorize', but they aren't there to scare them. It ended up being their favorite ride. You may want to warn them about the screaming in the graveyard scene. That still tends to give them a start once in awhile. graemlins/mickey.gif

Munch
06-19-2002, 10:16 AM
A little desensitizing sounds like the way to go. When I was growing up, whenever we watched a scary movie my parents always explained that it was all make-believe and silly, and then made a game out of spotting the monsters and cheering them on. Or being sympathic when the 'good guys' won "poor monster!". tongue.gif The trick is de-emphasizing the 'scary' part and emphasizing the 'make-believe'. That game mentioned in this thread sounds like a good idea. Then there would be fewer surprises on the actual ride, and a game could be made out of spotting things remembered.

MNNHFLTX
06-19-2002, 10:39 AM
There have been a lot of good suggestions so far! I also recommend the Disney World Racing Game; it really emphasizes the fun of the Haunted Mansion. And if you've been on the attraction before you can matter-of-factly explain the effects ahead of time to prepare him. And I think it is a good idea to laugh as you go through it, to lighten the intensity of the effects.

Even though the Haunted Mansion is not scary to me in the truest sense of the word, to a child with a vivid imagination it still may be intimidating. My son went on it when he was 5 and didn't care for the "spooky" aspects of it. On subsequent trips we always gave him the choice whether to go on it again--sometimes he did and sometimes he didn't. He is nine now and is finally appreciating that the ride "isn't as spooky as I remember it". So, yes, all kids are different and just trust your instincts on how to handle this situation with your son. smile.gif

luvindisney
06-19-2002, 10:58 AM
I was going to suggest the Disney racing game also. We had never been able to ride Splash Mountain anytime that we had been. It was a great way to live the ride before riding.

I think that if you play the game with your children, they will see the ride as fun and be less aprehensive about riding.

Above all else, if they are scared when walking up to it, don't make them go inside. Have a GREAT time.

DisneyTeen
06-19-2002, 11:13 AM
I would bring them in line and if they are just not feeling it, then walk out of line, there is nothing wrong with that.

TheRedHead
06-19-2002, 01:01 PM
Although the HM is not scary in the least, the CMs can be a little intimidating. Keep a look-out with that. Also, the graveyard scene is fun, but the popping ghosts from the graves can be a bit startling if you are not expecting it. :eek:
Just explain yes, it's all make-believe and that nothing will touch them! Also, make sure that you stay close and hold hands, if they need to.
Have a great trip! :D

[ June 19, 2002, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: TheRedHead ]

ryca1dreams
06-19-2002, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I feel much better after reading your comments. I'll definitely look for the game. I'm sure we'll both enjoy it. ;)

P.S. I agree that forcing a kid against their will is counter-productive (and somewhat mean) This is supposed to be a happy place right? graemlins/mickey.gif