PDA

View Full Version : Disney World While Pregnant

claysmom
11-12-2001, 03:32 PM
We're going to Disney World the first week of Feb and I'll be about 6 months when we go. I've been almost every year I've been alive and my poor husband has been drug all over those parks by me for the past 5 years. (On the bright side, I think I know where all the restrooms are)

We are taking my 8 year old cousin so my hubby has someone to ride the BIG things with. I will be "touring" with our 2 year old and the one on the way. I keep telling myself that it will be nice to take it slow and relax (not to mention eating my way around World Showcase). I am thinking we can hunt down all the characters for autographs and photos and rest while we hold our parade spot(s) and then go back to our resort for a nap.

Any ideas on how to have a great time pregnant and restricted on ride choices? I am planning out our days now, so any tips would be great! I think I'll be ok on the Safari at the Animal Kingdom, but I am not going to risk the others.

Thanks for the help!

Ali

roses
11-12-2001, 05:22 PM
Okay, I've never been pregnant, let alone been to Disney pregnant, graemlins/winky.gif But I'm sure you can find plenty of things to do. I would catch all of those shows that you wouldn't normally do. All of the parades that you don't normally get to see and some rides are okay to go on while pregnant. I would go see the Hall of Presidents, The Beauty and the Beast, take a walk around the
World Showcase (that will be a day in itself, at least it is for me graemlins/blush.gif )

PixieHearted
11-12-2001, 05:28 PM
I remember when I was pregnant... oh, those hot flashes. graemlins/winky.gif

Lizzy
11-12-2001, 06:57 PM
I think you have a pretty good game plan already. Just think of the things you won't miss by being able to not wait in line for the big things. Your 2 year old will love to see the characters, I took my son back in May and he was 2 then. I think pretty much all the things he can do you will be to. Good thing your hubby will have someone to "play" with ;)

mickeynuts
11-12-2001, 07:50 PM
We just went last month when I was 5 months pregnant, and had a great time. I pretty much did what you said, took it easy and rested while my family rode the rides I couldn't ride. I went through gallons of water and we all walked a little slower than normal but overall it went very well. I would advise against the Safari though, it's very rough. I was actually kind of surprised at how much I was still able to do, I stayed entertained! I was also surprised at how many pregnant women I saw there, they all looked pretty much like me, waddling and hot, but happy! I wrote trip reports if you want to read them, they are kind of long winded, but you might find something helpful:
day one: http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002131&p=

day two: http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002133&p=

day three: http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002134&p=

day four: http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002136&p=

day five: http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002141&p=

day six: http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002146&p=

smile.gif Laura

imported_PolyGirl40
11-13-2001, 07:00 AM
You will have a wonderful time. graemlins/mickey.gif

There is a thread in the Theme Park Archives -- in reference to this topic.

Pregnant on Vacation Link (http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=24&t=000005&p=)

Let us know how everything goes. smile.gif

brownie
11-13-2001, 10:20 AM
I think Kilimanjaro Safaris depends on how fast they are running (how busy is it/how long the line is). I believe they run at a slow speed and a fast speed depending on crowds. When we rode on it in October, it was going slower than when I rode it last year. My wife was prengant last year so didn't go on it, but said after riding it in October, she could've handled it, but it was a lot rougher at the faster speed. My wife also said she could have handled Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin when she was pregnant. She was 6 months pregnant when we went in April 2000.

claysmom
11-13-2001, 01:08 PM
Great tips! Thank you all soooo much! I enjoyed the trip reports and the other thread was VERY helpful! :cool:

With my first baby I was so hungry at 6 months, so I am hoping that I'll be very happy just to be at Disney with LOTS of food everywhere!

I did not know about the motionless viewing rooms! I'll have to take my 2 year old there with me so we can still watch the show on Body Wars and Star Tours! Yay! graemlins/party.gif

Jared
11-13-2001, 06:11 PM
A lot of the things, even pregnant, you will still be able to experience. You'll sit out the big rides this go around, but my theory is, that because you aren't able to do the BIG stuff, take the time just to walk around the parks, try out the minor attractions, that you wouldn't normally try, you may find a "sleeper" hit. Look for nice little back pathways that you had never found before. Have a great time on your trip, and please post a report! graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

mickeyd
11-14-2001, 07:09 AM
The great thing about WDW is that just 'being' there is fun. There is so much atmosphere, and so many nooks and crannies to explore that you could fill a day without going on a ride. I think it sad that people (myself included) rush around trying to pack in as many attractions as possible, and miss all the little details that you only notice when you take it slow.

On top of that, even exploring the gardens can be great. I would consider myself lucky to have the time and opportunity to notice the finer details that usually go unnoticed.

mjstaceyuofm
11-14-2001, 08:46 AM
Very do-able!!
graemlins/thumbsup.gif
The wife and I went in May when she was 7 mos pregnant. Our oldest son was 2 1/2 at the time and we had a blast. I did sneak away to ride Splash Mountain, but other than that we took it easy and really took the time to see shows and soak up the sights and sounds. No charm lost in skipping some of the major attractions.

BTW, my wife also went on Kil. Safari and had no problems. ;)

ValerieK
11-14-2001, 10:20 PM
I was 5 months pregant when we went 2 years ago. I had a great time. My husband took our 7 year old to ride on rides that I couldn't and I went to the World Showcase and walked around and looked at everything. I had a great time. graemlins/laughing.gif You will have fun. Just being there is nice.

claysmom
11-15-2001, 04:50 PM
Thank you all! I've been taking notes!
I've also been flipping through the guide books we buy every year and ignore and was thinking about doing the Keys to the Kingdom tour by myself... (ok- and lusting at the thought of snacking my way through World Showcase) I think there are tons of opportunites for me the hard thing is going to be staying off the TOT and the RNRC. LOL! I am going to go to all the shows I love and my hubby pouts through. I think our 2 year old will be easier to deal with in those...lol. I have also decided that we have have to create a daily ritual of having ice cream and staking out a spot for the parades. We hardly ever wait for parades... we just happen to catch them. This could be a lot of fun :)

mickeynuts
11-16-2001, 09:52 AM
Waiting for the parade was a wonderful rest time for me every day, My husband just took all the kids on a ride or two while I found a nice spot, kicked off my shoes and had an ice cream! It was a much needed rest for my big old belly and got us a great view of the parade! Plus I have a big mouth and always find somebody to talk to so I didn't get bored.
You are going to have a fantastic time!
smile.gif Laura

CantonMich
11-17-2001, 11:07 PM
It's funny I saw this post. We've been to WDW 3 times and 2 of those times my wife was pregnant. We'll be there again in 2 weeks and guess what--my wife is 5 months pregnant. It doesn't take away from her enjoyment at all. She obviously doesn't do the roller coasters, but she ignores the messages regarding the reality rides. (That is up to you, the guides will ask you to please consult the advisory boards.)

claysmom
11-19-2001, 02:58 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CantonMich:
It's funny I saw this post. We've been to WDW 3 times and 2 of those times my wife was pregnant. We'll be there again in 2 weeks and guess what--my wife is 5 months pregnant. It doesn't take away from her enjoyment at all. She obviously doesn't do the roller coasters, but she ignores the messages regarding the reality rides. (That is up to you, the guides will ask you to please consult the advisory boards.)<hr></blockquote>

Are you starting to see a trend here? (kidding!) Please let me know about your trip and the fun things (and food) she finds :)

Goofy Forever
11-19-2001, 08:40 PM
Mrs. Goofy Forever here...I have been to Disney 3 times while pregnant. Twice five months, once seven months. Make sure you drink lots of water...and take lots of breaks with your feet up. TTA is a great place for this...usually cool, and never a wait. graemlins/mickey.gif

turtlepondkid
11-20-2001, 12:07 AM
Okay pregnant lady!
I've been to WDW bunches of times, and twice when I was pregnant, one at 5 months, the other at 7 months. I will be going again at 7 months in January.

Here's the deal...do what ya can!
Clinically (I'm a nurse) truly dangerous are:
Magic Kingdom - Space Mountain
(Buzz Lightyear is FINE--Heck...Small World is rougher than this one!)
You may wanna steer clear of Alien Encounter...there are high magnetic fields used in one of the rooms and there is some concern about high magnetic forces on pregnancy.
Thunder Mountain (a little rough side-to-side)
Splash Mtn is a judgement call...if you are normally fine with it and you aren't considered high risk (and you don't have Blood Pressure problems)...Go For it!

MGM - DO NOT DO Tower of Terror....Because of the repeated up and down nature of the ride, it is ideal for placental separation.
Obviously no Rockin' Roller Coaster
Catastrophe Canyon is fine
The seat belt might cause problems on Star Tours.

EPCOT - Everything should be fine, including Test Track.
(Body Wars is the same thing as Star Tours)

Animal Kingdom - Kali River Rapids is fine...!
Skip Dinosaur 'cuz of the type of action and where the seat belt sits.
I've never had a problem with the Safari....just hold on and be willing to rock with the bumps.

SUPER SECRET PREGNANT WDW TIPS?
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority (WEDway) is the place to be while the other ones are doing Space Mtn and Alien.

- While your other family members are on Tower of Terror, take their passes and get them fast passes for Rockin' Roller Coaster. Then meet them at the end of TOT where you can see your pics. (grab a snack on the way in past the store) It is REALLY cool in temperature and although the benches are stone (or FRP), you can put your feet up on them and stretch out.

- They may get to ride all the cool rides, but YOU get first dibs on highest total of Mickey Premium Bars consumed in one day. graemlins/clappy.gif

2bugsmom
11-20-2001, 09:33 AM
Hi! Just wanted to say Congrats! and have a wonderful time at Disney. I went exactly 1 year ago next month when I was 5 months pregnant. The weather was perfect - 72 and sunny. I was able to do quite alot. We took our 17 mo. old son on everything in Fantasyland at the MK and alot of the other tamer attractions throughout the park. As someone else mentioned, I was so HUNGRY at 5 months and ate the lions share of the food we bought that day. smile.gif Poor hubby is used to me offering him at least half of my portion, but when I'm pregnant, I devour mine and hungrily eye his. So eat well and stay hydrated and have a blast! Also, take lots of pictures! It's definitely a time to remember.

Take care and Happy Disneying!
2bugsmom