PDA

View Full Version : Alien Encounters

Disneyrox
01-05-2002, 10:30 PM
I have been to Disney twice and have yet to experience Alien Encounters. I heard that it is really scary and I am not much for being frightened in the dark.

Is it really that scary? Does anyone have any experiences to share about this ride?

Ben
01-05-2002, 10:41 PM
just went on it 2 days ago its pretty cool not all that scary...you should tryit

Roland
01-05-2002, 10:53 PM
It depends on your age. Kids get a little scared and my mother (aged 69) yelped a few times.

Me, it bores me to death.

ParkHopper
01-05-2002, 10:55 PM
I think it depends on your age. But, you should try it, this is a cool ride, especially the first time.

Disneyrox
01-05-2002, 10:57 PM
The first year I took the kids with me and that was the reason I didn't get on. The second year there I really had no excuse other than what I had heard about how scary it was.

Guess my next trip I will just have to try it out. Just looking for some needed encouragement to get on. Never been on the tower of Terror either. The thought of free falling doesn't do anything for me.

Disneyrox
01-05-2002, 11:01 PM
BTW I am not young, actually 28 years old. Just a big chicken when it comes to dark and screamy rides.

Thanks all for the posts! graemlins/clappy.gif

Disney2002
01-05-2002, 11:05 PM
Let me add another ZZZzzzz vote for this attraction in terms of fright factor. The haunted mansion will get your heart rate going faster, I promise. It is, however, an interestingly designed ride. It plays with your mind by playing with your senses -- a primary characteristic of Disney imagineering. This "ride" (for it is really more of a show), features some of the most impressive animatronic figures in the park. Unfortunatly, it was designed by... *sigh*... George Lucas. I'm not a fan... but then again... that's just me.

A few words of warning.
1) Although this attraction doesn't scare me, it is NOT appropriate for you young children. There are enough realistic, scary images in this ride to give children dreams for nights to come.
2) If you are not a fan of being restrained in small spaces, do not ride this ride. Take this warning seriously. You will be harnessed down in you seat. Panic from this sensation may follow.
3) Lastly, there is an "effect" that involves your harness being pushed down upon your shoulders. Much like the hornets in "It's Tough to Be a Bug", this can hurt. Sit up nice an tall when they initially lower the restraint... then slouch a bit... this will reduce any discomfort. (This is a conservative warning... very few people seem to be bothered by this... I was, however)

goofgal
01-05-2002, 11:27 PM
I agree that this is more of a show than a ride. In the theater world it would be called "theater of the mind" since there is very little that actually goes on. The storyline is set up and then you're sent into the auditorium. You sit down and they put harnesses over you. Then the show starts and "something goes wrong". The theater is plunged into almost darkness and then special effects and lighting takes over. The setup is that an alien has escaped and is loose in the theater. There are some effects (the one that gives me is the air on the back of your neck) and then the alien disappears, but there is very little real action that goes on.

It's your mind and imagination that creates the ride experience for you. As such, there is a huge variety of reactions from graemlins/sleepin.gif to graemlins/rotfl.gif to graemlins/sick.gif to graemlins/nono.gif .

Jared
01-06-2002, 08:43 AM
My only problem with this attraction is the shoulder harness. I do scare very easily, no denying it, but I was thinking about doing it until heard about being held down in my seat, I really don't do well with being confined in a small little space. So, Alien Encounter= graemlins/nono.gif

Fantasmic
01-06-2002, 10:10 AM
I think AE is a great attraction, it's chilling, but not overly scary (ok I was so scared the first time I rode it but I was 13!!!) It all depends on the factors that everyone else has mentioned here ! smile.gif

mktiggerman
01-06-2002, 12:17 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Disney_nut:
My only problem with this attraction is the shoulder harness. I do scare very easily, no denying it, but I was thinking about doing it until heard about being held down in my seat, I really don't do well with being confined in a small little space. So, Alien Encounter= graemlins/nono.gif <hr></blockquote>

the shoulder harness lifts right up w/ little trouble..

disneydeb
01-06-2002, 12:38 PM
OK, please no one think I am a terrible mom! My then eight year old went in with me into AE. I thought she was the fearless kind of person until this. She rode Space Mountain when she had just turned five ( she just made the heighth requirement) and LOVED IT. I prepared her as well as I could for AE( it was brand new, so I didn't know too much). She panicked! She screamed BLOODY MURDER and I could not comfort her because of the harness thing they put us under. I felt so badly for her!! I also felt as if I were the worst mom in the world! I did not feel as AE were that scary. It just scared me to death thinking I had done irrepairable harm to my child! She is OK now by the way. We had to let her ride Space Mountain several times to bring her out of her shock!
Have a Disney Day!
graemlins/mickey.gif Deb graemlins/mickey.gif

Jared
01-06-2002, 01:53 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mktiggerman:

the shoulder harness lifts right up w/ little trouble..<hr></blockquote>

Not during the attraction though! I'm kind of claustrophobic, I guess you can say.

Disneyrox
01-06-2002, 08:23 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the great tips.

I am still undecided whether I will be doing this ride next time. So many mixed reviews!! It is one of those rides that you have to have no line and just jump on. That is how my husband managed to get me on Space Mountain. graemlins/blush.gif

JabberJaws
01-07-2002, 12:50 AM
Well I just came from MK today and we rode AE twice..both times in the front row of seats. The 2nd time we sat next to a family who was riding it for the first time..they had 3 daughters ranging from what seemed to be around 5 years old to bout 15...and they all LOVED it..but i really wouldnt suggest it for young kids under 7 unless they are brave...or for older youngins..say7-15 if they are easily frightened by the dark or loud noises. but it is one of my fav attractoins

MickeyTD
01-07-2002, 01:59 AM
Personally i don't understand why this attraction even gets mixed reviews. I think it is one of the greatest attractions that disney has to offer. I guess that is just my opinion though! i love it, and i think that everyone should try it at least once if they are above the age of say...13. I love alien encounter and will ride it several times on every trip!

bethglasmann
01-07-2002, 12:53 PM
We took Ds on this when he was 7. We had NO idea what it was about or what it entailed. We did see the 'warning' but LOL'd because in general Disney is tame compared to the other parks we frequent. Ds was TERRIFIED and cried the entire time which isn't like him at all. Dark isn't his thing but what did him in was the 'scary' noise level, it put him over the edge. I made the mistake of slouching a bit and got stuck in that position and was very uncomfortable. Dh had a GREAT time LOL. Ds was ok once it was over and had made us swear to never make him go on it again LOL.

The next time we did AE minus child, I enjoyed it too. It's definitely not typical 'Disney', not horribly scary for an adult but definitely worth checking out.

Ds is 9 now and 'thinking' about trying AE again. Kids at school have done it and LIKED it so he's thinking maybe he missed something LOL.

Goofy about Disney
01-07-2002, 01:01 PM
My 2 cents:

I love AE! It is fun, funny, and enjoyably disgusting! 1st time adventures are always the best!

I really want to plug ToT as well---although the thought of freefall might seem uncomfortable, it is a well controlled, well-themed ride!

You should really give both a try!! Both have awesome SPEC-FX !!!!!!!

graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

mattjs
01-07-2002, 03:57 PM
I love this one and it scared the heck outa me. You really gotta let your imagination go though. It's all storyline and special effects so if you don't let yourself fall into the story it'll deffinitely be on the boring side.

ImaginationHost
01-07-2002, 04:50 PM
Just remember that its all Mickey Mouse Magic...

LOL graemlins/rotfl.gif

ImaginationHost
graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

SpecJoe Magic
01-07-2002, 05:13 PM
I enjoy Alien Encounter. It is great fun with awesome special effects. It can be rather creepy at times. I would not take a young child on this attraction beacause of the loudness and special effects. The shoulder harness people keep talking about does not bother me at all. Here is a tip if you are worried about the shoulder harness: When the harness is lowering at the beginning of the show, shrug your shoulders upward so that the harness will stop higher up. Then, once the harness is set, you can relax your shoulders. However, I suggest that you not do this tip because it takes away from the attraction experience. Just sit up nice and straight as the harness lowers. AE has a great preshow as well as a great show. If you listen to everything closely, you can here some funny comments during the show. The comments are made to sound like they are coming from people in the audience but the comments are actually a recorded part of the show. I suggest you try it. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Carskates
01-07-2002, 08:37 PM
I WAS VERY UN-PREPARED FOR A.E. I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS GOING TO BE COMPLETELY DARK. I DON'T LIKE THE DARK SO I PANICED AND GRABBED MY MOMMY'S HAND. DID I MENTION IM 20 YRS. OLD. LOL ! I WANT TO GO ON IT AGAIN NOW THAT I KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT.

MNNHFLTX
01-08-2002, 11:00 AM
The first time I went on AE was by my lonesome--in retrospect not the best way to do it! :eek: But my husband had to stay with our son outside the attraction, so it was really the only option for me. Anyway, I remember that experience being quite intense; I had to sit on my hands to keep from grabbing the arm of the woman next to me during some of the special effects!

The next couple of times I went on it was with my husband and I must say that it was never quite as scary as the first time. In fact, I probably spent more time listening to the crowds' reaction to the show than to the actual special effects. I do think AE is a fun attraction (for the right kind of person!) Just like in AK's It's Tough to be a Bug, after the first time some of the fun for me is in the people watching, or listening, as it may be. (The only thing I don't like hearing occasionally are the very young ones screaming in terror--it can be really heartbreaking!)

faline
01-08-2002, 12:39 PM
As a kid, I used to get terribly frightened by all of the alien movies (but, somehow, I'd always watch them)!

I have not found AE to be scary (but then, I know it's Disney). I think it's great fun! I love the special effects.

roses
01-08-2002, 01:09 PM
I liked this attraction! Although I got scared the first time I went on and made it a point to scare my friends when I went on with them. (I know, I'm such a nice friend ;) ) Anyway, I think you should try it, you never know, you might like it, and if you don't then don't go on it again. I'm not trying by any means to pressure you to go on, trust me, I don't go on anything that holds me upside down. I don't like the feeling of the blood rushing to my head, I have a panic attack. If you do go on, let us know if you liked it! :D

MermaidJan
01-08-2002, 01:19 PM
I love alien encounters but my husband thinks it's boring. We are going in February and I plan on seeing it again. graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

Fantasmike
01-10-2002, 05:48 PM
Myn wife and I have been an AE twice. It was fun and we enjoyed it but it isn't on out must do list for the future. It is definitely worth doing at least once.

DisneyHog
01-10-2002, 11:30 PM
First off, I want to start with saying that I can't believe that in this topic, "sigh" and "George Lucas" were used in the same sentence. George Lucas has one of the most creative minds available to us today, but that is a whole other topic.

The real topic is AE. All I can say is AE IS GREAT!!!!! The special effects on this attraction are incredible, and it's just a great story. This ride is in no way scary. I mean, seriously people, your in WDW, you don't have to let all your senses leave you to enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, WDW magic has a profound affect on me each and every time I go, but I'm still in touch with reality enough to know that this is only an attraction, and that nothing can hurt me. Go into this attraction with that attitude, and you should be fine. It's great fun!

graemlins/mickey.gif

G
01-11-2002, 03:23 PM
I had the same problem as disneydeb. My fearless 9 y/o started screaming "Mommy". I had no idea what was going to happen,so I was terrified that she was going to hop out of her seat while it was in the air. I had to do a lot of talking to get us through it. Needless to say the seats did not go flying in the air and we were both okay. This last trip I went on it without her, I got nervous a few times, but I loved it. Next time I think I can do it with my eyes open the whole time :D