PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins in Depth

DeDe
02-14-2002, 05:55 PM
Has anyone participated in this? It says you are not guaranteed interaction. Is this worth doing? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beast_fanatic
02-15-2002, 10:05 PM
I was hoping someone would chime in with their experiences about this program since I don't have any personal experience with it.

But, since no one has, I'm thinking that perhaps it would get a better response in Theme Parks since this tour does deal specifically with Epcot.

So, I'm going to pop this over there. Please stand clear of the doors... ;)

TheSorcererofFantasia
02-16-2002, 10:05 AM
I did the Dolphins in Depth tour two years ago along with two others (Back Stage Magic & Hidden Treasures of the World Showcase, all countries).

Personally I thought it was a fantastic program. The entire program last approx. 4 1/2 hours and cost at the time I did it was $140. You have a tour of the Living Seas facility, learn how they maintain the entire facility, where the different creatures are obtained from. There is quite a bit of 'class' time where you learn about the dolphins behaviors in nature, environment, body structure, eating habits, etc.

You change into wet suits and make your way to the top of the tank. At that time one of the dolphin care takers introduces you to Toby and Bob (the two dolphins). They then give you information regarding the behavioral program and show you some of the equipment they use. Dophins are not 'trained' they learn 'behaviors'.

Then you make your way to the center area of the tank and slowly walk into the water. There is a shelf area at the top of the tank. Our group (6) was broken into two groups (3 each). The group slowly makes it way about waist/chest deap water so that the dolphins can approach. You have group time with your respective dolphin and then have some one to one time. Lasts just over 1/2 hour.

The reason it states that you are not guaranteed interaction is that sometimes the dolphins are just having a bad day (like humans) or for some reason they don't feel comfortable with you (like humans). The dolphins are NOT forced to do anything, it is entirely up to them. From my understanding the dolphins enjoy the interaction they get when someone visits with them. Toby is quite the young showman, he fell asleep in my arms.

During this time they are video taping the interaction. At the end of the tour you are given information on environmental issues regarding dolpins, a really nice tee shirt and a copy of the interaction with the dolphins.

Hope that helps a little. smile.gif

[ February 16, 2002, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: TheSorcererofFantasia ]

DeDe
02-17-2002, 09:42 AM
Thank you so much. This is now on our "To Do" list. I believe the cost is now $160 for the tour. It sounds well worth the cost. There will be 4 of us taking the tour. My friend, her niece, myself and my daughter. I better call and reserve a spot today!

Duchess99
02-17-2002, 03:34 PM
Where can I find more information on this and how to book it? It sounds great!!!

eringal
02-18-2002, 09:07 AM
I did this tour back in '99. Other than having to wait an extra day (it was postponed because of Hurrican Floyd) I was in heaven. I had a silly grin on my face the whole time. I fully intend to do it again.

Originally posted by DeDe:
It says you are not guaranteed interaction. Is this worth doing? To me, this is so important. Disney gives the dolphins the right to opt out of the interaction. They do not force them. I love them for that! The people said it does occasionally happen but then they rely solely on the 2nd dolphin. So you will are almost certain to get some interaction.

Erin