PDA

View Full Version : Dive Quest

cjdive
03-20-2002, 10:03 PM
Has anyone here done Disney's Dive Quest in the Living Seas? I am a certified SCUBA diver and heard rumors that for a small fee ($130+) you could swim with the sharks in the Living Seas huge tank (right outside the Coral Reef restaurant).

Thanks graemlins/mickey.gif

Diswiz
03-20-2002, 10:42 PM
I've not actually done it, but I've heard that it's an amazing experience! Many say that the plant and animal life don't attract their attention as much as the waving crowds do. People say that they feel like a castmember when inside. I think, as you are a certified scuba diver, you should be able to sign up with no trouble. The session includes a breif course, so that should help. I know there is a fee, and chances are it is $130 or more, and I'm guessing more...

Hope I could help!!!

Chris

cjdive
03-20-2002, 11:17 PM
Thanks Chris!

Chris
graemlins/doubleeek.gif

rbriskey
03-21-2002, 12:58 AM
Here's the details on Epcot DiveQuest:

Description:
Experience a 40-minute dive adventure in The Living Seas aquarium with over 65 species of marine animals.
Length of Program:
2 1/2 to 3 hours
Days Offered:
Daily
Hours:
4:30pm & 5:30pm
Age Limit:
-10 years and older
-Ages 10 - 14 must dive with a parent or guardian who is at least 18 years old
-Proof of current SCUBA "open water" adult certification is required.
Cost:
$140 per person, Theme Park admission is not required. Includes dive and gear, locker room, free T-shirt, certificate, stamp and refreshments.
More Info/To Book:
For further information call 407-560-5590. To book DiveQuest call (407) WDW-TOUR between 7:00am and 8:00pm daily. Hours may vary during holidays.

exutlnghrn
03-21-2002, 12:09 PM
I've done DiveQuest twice with two lovely DiveQuest t-shirts to show for it. If you have the time in your schedule to do it (and the $140) I would highly recommend it.

The first time I did it was the shortly after they began offering it. At that time, you had a short briefing time where they explained the rules and safety stuff etc. The actual dive was a follow-the-leader kind of deal where the divemaster would take you around the tank and point things out. You'd also go by the restaurant windows and wave to the people eating there, and then find your family inside the Living Seas and go up to them. The whole time, a video guy would follow the group and roll tape on your dive so you could buy it afterwards.

The next year when we did it, they had changed the dive portion to include much more "free time" to swim around and kind of do your own thing. You still have the video guy taking shots for the take-home version.

It's been a few years since I've done it, but I'd assume it's still pretty similar to what I've described. You will be impressed with the quality of the program and equipment. We were given a nice clean changing room with our own private stalls/showers, shampoo, wetsuit, weightbelt, all the gear you will need (I think you can bring your own mask if you want but you won't need to). It's a lot of fun (and worth $140) just to get to walk around behind the scenes, and then be up on top of the tank, step off the side, and you are now part of the Disney attraction. The people in Living Seas (not to mention any family watching) get a big kick out of the divers.

After the dive, we were taken back to the briefing room for Cokes, dive stamps, and we could watch the video if we wanted.

Have fun.

Goofy Forever
03-21-2002, 06:09 PM
rbriskey and exutlnghrn are absoultely right about the details. I did DiveQuest last year and two years ago. It is a GREAT experience!!! The variety of the marine life is incredible. There's a dome with an air pocket that you get to go into and yell to the videographer.

I got very lucky last year because Mickey himself dove with our group so I got to interact with him under the water. It was very cool. I would highly recommed DiveQuest. :D

cjdive
03-22-2002, 11:32 AM
Thank you all for the input!!! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Chris graemlins/mickey.gif