PDA

View Full Version : After a long hiatus, I went back! - Pre-Trip

ILoveLegos
02-13-2024, 02:10 PM
(Me) - Former quasi-Disney expert, just past 50 years old.
(Dad) - Loves travel & adventure still, just past 80 years old. (P.S. Still rides rollercoasters) <= Okay, I admit that part worried me too.

Resort:
Disney's Yacht Club

Dates:
September 5-10th

In early April 2023, I read some exciting news! Walt Disney World Would begin selling Annual Passes again on April 20, 2023! I was still working in Academia; but my work was 100% online at the time. I examined the details and saw that as an out of state person, I could only purchase the Incredi-Pass and that got my math wheels turning. (I teach math, so they are always turning, maybe I should say they were burning rubber!) I determined the break-even point for me and kind of just let the idea smolder in my brain for many days. One thing that caught my eye was that I would have a calendar year to use the pass for the first time and them my 1 year of having an active Annual pass would begin. This worked with my logical sensibilities because I thought to myself, surely some better offers would eventually appear on the horizon. I put an alert on my calendar and that little smolder grew into a spark and eventually a flaming fire. One little spark ... (I could not resist). :)

Early morning, April 20th I was in this exceptionally long online queue waiting to buy my pass. I figured they'd sell out before I got in. However, I was alright with that, since I was not too sure about returning to Walt Disney World now. Revenge travel was slowing, and I had family out in Texas that I could also visit instead. Basically, I was keeping my cool & looking at the glass half full again, that's my motto. There must have been hiccups in the queue process or something because it took about 4 hours ... but suddenly the page unlocked! I could finally purchase my first Annual Pass since 2007 for myself. Yippee!!!

Next, I just waited. Mainly because there were simply zero incentives to book any vacations at that time. That is, until the late summer incentives came out. I pounced on the 35% Room-Only discount for Annual Pass holders. I purposely picked dates that I knew most schools would be in session to get "smaller" crowds. After that, I broke the happy news to my dad. He is definitely partial to the Yacht Club since that was the last resort we stayed in with my mom. I saw his eyes light up from the memories and he readily agreed to go. Double Yippee, there!

Lastly, you know how you used to have to study extra hard for a big exam? Well suddenly that was me! Paper Fastpasses were no more, I had to make Reservations for parks, and there were whole Lands to explore that did not exist when I was last there. My head was swimming! I got a length of stay park-hopping ticket for my dad and secured airline tickets. We had a whole summer for me to study up on Walt Disney World. I had to figure out what to pack and how to make sure my dad was comfortable. For that reason, I did read a lot about Disney with Seniors. This step absolutely helped in the long run. Funny thing my dad packed in about an hour and it took me 2 weeks! I can truly say that I was prepared for every scenario! Well now ... on to Trip 1 - Day 1!

faline
02-14-2024, 02:26 PM
There have been so many changes at Disney, it really is hard to keep up to date!!