PDA

View Full Version : Scarlett Johansson sues Disney over ‘Black Widow’ release

John
07-31-2021, 11:48 AM
Scarlett Johansson is suing the Walt Disney Co. over its streaming release of “Black Widow,” which she said breached her contract and deprived her of potential earnings.

In a lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court, the “Black Widow” star and executive producer said her contract guaranteed an exclusive theatrical release. The Wall Street Journal first reported the news of the lawsuit.

Johansson’s potential earnings were tied to the box office performance of the film, which the company released simultaneously in theaters and on its streaming service Disney+ for a $30 rental.

https://www.clickorlando.com/business/2021/07/29/scarlett-johansson-sues-disney-over-black-widow-release/

Cinderelley
08-01-2021, 03:18 AM
I hope she wins.

PopPhan
08-01-2021, 10:25 AM
If her contract actually states in no uncertain terms that the film would open in theaters before any other venue - online, D+, etc. - then she has a solid case. In this streaming age, I would think 'opening box' would include any 'pay per view' monies as well, if released on the same day/weekend. But I know little of contract law and the past year and a half has given us all some new precedents.

baldburke
08-02-2021, 12:05 PM
Agreed...good for her! If the contract state theatrical release then she should get her due. Black Widow was in an unfortunate spot being the last Marvel movie leading into COVD and the first post-COVID. The movie itself was well on par with other recent Marvel works and certainly would have had more staying power than it did had it been released under "normal" circumstances. Would it have been as popular as Captain Marvel? Maybe not, but it should have had a solid run in the theaters. We know Shang-Chi is planned for a theater only initial release. We'll see if the ▲ ruins their plans. I'm not pro-Hollywood in anyway. However, I don't see any reason to be the current mold for movie releases as: theater only, then stream to own followed by stream to rent, then physical (BluRay) sales.

1DisneyNut
08-03-2021, 10:10 AM
I agree too, I hope she wins.