PDA

View Full Version : John, how was your marathon?

Cinderelley
02-04-2021, 06:57 AM
You mentioned you were doing a marathon a couple of weeks ago. How did it go?

John
02-04-2021, 12:31 PM
You mentioned you were doing a marathon a couple of weeks ago. How did it go?

Actually it was a half ;) I still haven't ever run a full. Maybe someday with he proper amount of training.

Went well considering I hadn't run that distance in a year. Was sore at the end and for the next few days but recovered fine.

If you're not following me on social - there should be some pictures...

https://facebook.com/intercotmcp
https://instagram.com/levelbest

Thanks for asking - totally hoping runICOT at runDisney returns soon!

John
02-04-2021, 12:35 PM
Here's a shot from the back stretch :)

Cinderelley
02-05-2021, 06:13 AM
Looks like you are in much better shape than I would be at the end of all that running. :) I trained for a marathon in the past. Then when I was actually there for one, there were way too many people. Obviously this was pre-covid days. No more marathons for me.

merciantinkerbell
02-05-2021, 06:49 AM
Kudos to you John! I don't run. I like walking but running hurts my knees and triggers my asthma. On the VERY rare occasion I have run ( after a customer who left purse on shop counter, for a bus etc ) I run like Capt Jack Sparrow! LOL

John
02-05-2021, 08:53 AM
Looks like you are in much better shape than I would be at the end of all that running. :) I trained for a marathon in the past. Then when I was actually there for one, there were way too many people. Obviously this was pre-covid days. No more marathons for me.

I fake my happiness at the end LOL! Always pose for the pictures.

I'm about 15lbs beyond my comfortable weight - you know - the COVID 15.

And it's all a matter of pace. In these kind of races, I'm usually in the back 1/3. In a bigger race like Disney or the Baltimore half - I'd finish somewhere around mid pack.

Honestly, I'm just trying to finish. Most of the day I just enjoy getting out, listening to some tunes and seeing some sights. Around mile 9 or 10 - it becomes just a matter of finishing.

10 milers are about the perfect distance - but there aren't many of them.

John
02-05-2021, 08:54 AM
Kudos to you John! I don't run. I like walking but running hurts my knees and triggers my asthma. On the VERY rare occasion I have run ( after a customer who left purse on shop counter, for a bus etc ) I run like Capt Jack Sparrow! LOL

I hear ya! I keep telling my wife who doesn't run to do a 5k - and just fast walk. I have yet to convince her.

merciantinkerbell
02-05-2021, 09:44 AM
I hear ya! I keep telling my wife who doesn't run to do a 5k - and just fast walk. I have yet to convince her.

I could probably walk 5k but my anxiety would be so ramped up about coming in last waaay behind everyone else with horrific flashbacks to high school where everyone would point and laugh. It got so bad that I stopped turning up for sports lessons and hid away in the library or empty classroom.
Now if I had someone to walk with....

Disney4us2
02-05-2021, 10:55 AM

If I can do a 5K with a walker... most anyone can do it. Maybe she could try a virtual 5K.

Cinderelley
02-05-2021, 09:09 PM
I could probably walk 5k but my anxiety would be so ramped up about coming in last waaay behind everyone else with horrific flashbacks to high school where everyone would point and laugh. It got so bad that I stopped turning up for sports lessons and hid away in the library or empty classroom.
Now if I had someone to walk with....

Don't let anyone else get to you. Going out and trying it makes you better than all the people standing on the side line judging you. I had a friend who was about 150 lbs overweight. She was ashamed of going out to walk because of what people driving by might think. I gave her the same advice. She was out and trying to be healthier. Who cares what all those strangers thought? The ones who matter don't care if you come in last. The ones who care don't matter.
My friend is in great shape now, btw.

John
02-06-2021, 08:45 AM
Don't let anyone else get to you. Going out and trying it makes you better than all the people standing on the side line judging you. I had a friend who was about 150 lbs overweight. She was ashamed of going out to walk because of what people driving by might think. I gave her the same advice. She was out and trying to be healthier. Who cares what all those strangers thought? The ones who matter don't care if you come in last. The ones who care don't matter.
My friend is in great shape now, btw.

Exactly. Always run your own race. And even coming in last - you are ahead of everyone on the couch. There have been a number of races where I was certainly the back of the pack. There were a couple where my muscles cramped at the half way point of a half marathon and I had to walk it home - but I finished. Getting out there and trying is all that matters.

merciantinkerbell
02-07-2021, 07:15 AM
Thanks for your kind words Cinderelly and John. I especially like " The ones who matter don't care and the ones who care don't matter" ( paraphrased ), I'm going to try to remember that as it's very good advice that can apply in lots of different situations. A couple of years ago my Dr sent me for CBT therapy and she did say my self-esteem was " right down there ". The therapy helped a lot and I'm now half way through autism diagnoses, but I digress.
Well done John on your half marathon

pjbs35a
02-09-2021, 08:13 AM
I am conditioning to DRIVE a half marathon first! What happens after that, who knows.

:blush:

Cinderelley
02-09-2021, 10:51 PM
I am conditioning to DRIVE a half marathon first! What happens after that, who knows.

:blush:

:laughing:

Cinderelley
02-09-2021, 11:30 PM
I especially like " The ones who matter don't care and the ones who care don't matter" ( paraphrased )
That's actually how I say it. I just wasn't sure how well that would come across on here. I'm glad you are doing better. It's always good to hear how people are winning their battles.