PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating Magical Express

nicholsbears
01-11-2021, 12:56 PM
Disney’s Magical Express service will no longer be offered starting with arrivals January 1, 2022. The service will continue to operate for new and existing reservations made at Disney Resort hotels for arrivals throughout 2021.

Luggage delivery for those arriving to and departing from the airport and Resort Airline Check-In Service are no longer available.

:( Disney is eliminating the complimentary Magical Express bus transportation to/from the airport beginning in 2022.

For me this is the last straw. Disney keeps raising pricing at over twice the rate of inflation and keeps reducing what is offered to the guests.

I have been an avid "Disneyphile" for fifty years, but enough is enough. I think Walt must be turning over in his grave at the greed that has encompassed his "World."
:wave:

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-11-2021, 01:37 PM
I just read that as well: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/magical-express/

We often drive, but when family members have flown it, it was so easy and convenient. I wonder what will replace it, I'd be surprised if Disney just left it up to people to find their own way ... likely a new paid service I suspect.

azcavalier
01-11-2021, 01:40 PM
They're keeping it until 2022. In 2022, a lightrail system with connection from MCO to Walt Disney World will be coming online. Honestly, this makes sense to me. I know it's not exactly a 1=1 change, as you'll have to handle your own luggage and also get from the Walt Disney World hub to your Walt Disney World hotel, but still. With the financial losses of COVID impacting the Disney Parks, maybe getting rid of the ME Bus System allows them to keep other things alive and well in the parks themselves. Plus, Minnie Vans are supposed to be coming back, I hear.

bleen3162
01-11-2021, 02:09 PM
This whole situation is sad and based on money. Mears transportation runs ME so that has a lot to do with the change. I'm not a fan of Uber or Lyft coz now they have your personal info. I'd rather take a taxi coz then you pay cash or better yet rent a car...then you're not a hostage to Disney and can easily go off property to eat or visit other parks. You watch.... Disney will do something to prevent that! Overall, I'm not thrilled but can't wait to go back in September, if all goes well. But that may be my last trip for a while and I'm really sad about that.

BrowncatP
01-11-2021, 02:35 PM
I loved just dropping off my suitcase at the airport and not having to rush to baggage claim at MCO. This was a small perk at staying on site. This stinks!

paragon
01-11-2021, 05:58 PM
We almost always rent a car, but now they are charging for overnight parking at the resorts as well. Its now become a money grab all around in every direction, from transportation to admissions, special events and even mousekeeping. I choose to cruise now instead, having been turned off the oarks in recent years.
I'm also a stock holder and have become quite displeased with many of the recent decisions

Figment!
01-11-2021, 06:56 PM
They're keeping it until 2022. In 2022, a lightrail system with connection from MCO to Walt Disney World will be coming online.

:ditto:

The timing is a bit too coincidental for me to think that wasn't a big (if not the driving) factor.

If it was purely based on reducing operating cost, I would expect they would have found a way to terminate the contract earlier than that date.

I do wonder though what the plan is for when Guests get to Disney Springs? Like how do they expect you to get from there to your hotel *with your luggage*. I could not imagine current Disney Springs to hotel bus connections carrying Guests plus luggage especially in the evening when flights (well at least they used to) come in.

baldburke
01-13-2021, 12:17 PM
I'll be happy to use the light rail if its available. Although it should be interesting to see if the trains run as frequent as the buses and have competitive transport times between MCO and WDW. I'll also be interested to see if Mears keeps their bus transport service. I'm assuming they will. Again, depended on which one gets you to WDW may be the deciding factor.

The interesting part is that I don't recall an upcharge for DME when instituted. However, I realize that there's "no free lunch" and that the cost of DME was built into WDW's other fees (lodging) thus subsidizing the service. However you can surely bet that there will be no drop in rates as a result of Disney decoupling with Mears.

azcavalier
01-13-2021, 12:38 PM
I'll also be interested to see if Mears keeps their bus transport service. I'm assuming they will. Again, depended on which one gets you to WDW may be the deciding factor.

I read an article where a Mears spokesperson stated that they will still be offering bus service to the various Walt Disney World resorts after DME ends its service. Of course, what he didn't say was that there would be a charge for it. But if they sell some kind of roundtrip package to get you back to the airport, and it's around $10/person, that's not terrible at all.

Mr. Mouse 2 You
01-13-2021, 02:57 PM
I'm totally guessing here, but we DO KNOW that Disney was contracting the Magical Express operation out to Mears Transportation, and it can't be a surprise that ridership on the buses was down due to COVID - both from lower park attendance in general, and distancing measures on the buses themselves. My guess is that the Magical Express had become cost prohibitive, with neither Disney nor Mears willing to take on the brunt of the cost. If Mears was being paid by the guest, it wasn't paying them enough to run the buses 1/4 to 1/2 full or less - and if Disney was paying by the busload, there weren't enough people on each bus to justify the cost.

As for the 2022 date for ending the service, the new train won't be ready for at least several months after Jan 1, so my 2nd guess is the current Disney/Mears contract expires at the end of 2021, and the 2 sides haven't been able to agree on the terms for renewing it, especially with a new hi-speed rail system looming in the future. I'm hopeful that as we near the end of the year, Disney will announce they've either reached a new agreement with Mears or have contracted with another service provider, even if it's for a stop-gap service until the train service is actually available.

joonyer
01-13-2021, 05:17 PM
Yeah, to all of the above, and what remains to be seen, is how much is the fare going to be for the light rail service????

merciantinkerbell
01-14-2021, 10:17 AM
This is VERY disappointing! We used Magical Express on our last 2 trips as renting a car to take luggage plus DH's wheelchair and medical stuff was cost prohibitive as needed something like a full-size SUV AND then pay to park at hotel! ( which I disagree with when visitors don't pay ).
Guess if we go again, we'll have to budget for that or look at towncar service that can take all of our stuff

merciantinkerbell
01-14-2021, 10:17 AM
This is VERY disappointing! We used Magical Express on our last 2 trips as renting a car to take luggage plus DH's wheelchair and medical stuff was cost prohibitive as needed something like a full-size SUV AND then pay to park at hotel! ( which I disagree with when visitors don't pay ).
Guess if we go again, we'll have to budget for that or look at towncar service that can take all of our stuff

merciantinkerbell
01-14-2021, 10:19 AM
Hmmm, posted twice. Not sure why, sorry.

PopPhan
01-14-2021, 10:35 AM
I read an article where a Mears spokesperson stated that they will still be offering bus service to the various Walt Disney World resorts after DME ends its service. Of course, what he didn't say was that there would be a charge for it. But if they sell some kind of roundtrip package to get you back to the airport, and it's around $10/person, that's not terrible at all.

If I remember correctly, the Mears transportation, prior to the implementation of DME, was around $80 round trip. I'll have to go back through my old reservations to be sure.....

baldburke
01-14-2021, 12:03 PM

$10 per person isn't bad. Even if its only one way. The down side to the rail service is that it drops you at DS vs. your resort which will likely add time to getting your vacation started. The may give Mears a leg up on the train.

John
01-14-2021, 02:48 PM
I can't see them charging only $10 a head...

azcavalier
01-14-2021, 03:32 PM
If I remember correctly, the Mears transportation, prior to the implementation of DME, was around $80 round trip. I'll have to go back through my old reservations to be sure.....

Yeah, I just made up the $10/person number off the top of my head. Even $20/person wouldn't be terrible. $80/person? Seems like price gouging. Holy cow.

Cinderelley
01-15-2021, 12:17 AM
I would be okay with paying for it if it was a reasonable amount. When you take a Mears bus, do they play the Disney stuff on a TV like Magical Express?
The train sounds like fun, but I'm not going to be dragging my luggage from the airport to a train to a bus and into a hotel.

Bass T-bone
01-15-2021, 08:41 AM
They're keeping it until 2022. In 2022, a lightrail system with connection from MCO to Walt Disney World will be coming online. Honestly, this makes sense to me. I know it's not exactly a 1=1 change, as you'll have to handle your own luggage and also get from the Walt Disney World hub to your Walt Disney World hotel, but still. With the financial losses of COVID impacting the Disney Parks, maybe getting rid of the ME Bus System allows them to keep other things alive and well in the parks themselves. Plus, Minnie Vans are supposed to be coming back, I hear.

So why didn't Disney mention the light rail system (maybe) replacing Magical Express? Are they TRYING to upset everybody?

For me this is the last straw. Disney keeps raising pricing at over twice the rate of inflation and keeps reducing what is offered to the guests.I agree.

PopPhan
01-15-2021, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I just made up the $10/person number off the top of my head. Even $20/person wouldn't be terrible. $80/person? Seems like price gouging. Holy cow.

I may have been over-pricing it. That price may have been for two people -- I was married at the time. But, even so, $40/person seems a bit steep....

baldburke
01-15-2021, 12:50 PM
I may have been over-pricing it. That price may have been for two people -- I was married at the time. But, even so, $40/person seems a bit steep....

Not when they charge you $4-$6 for bottled drinks in the park...

$40 may be "cheap" to get into Disney. Heck, you can take the train from Philly to AC for like $10 per trip, but that's because they want to get you there to gamble. Disney expects to make their money and the locals can get the "extras."

RunDMV
01-15-2021, 02:21 PM
maybe getting rid of the ME Bus System allows them to keep other things alive and well in the parks themselves. Plus, Minnie Vans are supposed to be coming back, I hear.

You give Disney the benefit of the doubt. I learned long ago not to do that. Everything is about the money.

lindique
01-15-2021, 04:56 PM
I bet Mears is playing hardball because they think they can get a lot more from individual guests than whatever Disney was paying them.

Cinderelley
01-16-2021, 06:33 AM

I would pay it if my luggage magically appeared in my room. It's a bit much if I'm the one dragging it around.

baldburke
01-18-2021, 12:08 PM
I would pay it if my luggage magically appeared in my room. It's a bit much if I'm the one dragging it around.

Totes!

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-24-2021, 09:44 PM
We had been looking to forward to making multiple trips a year to WDW once we retired, but the way they are devaluing the experience and eliminating more and more of the perks, I think once a year will be plenty. And we may very well drive since time isn't as much of a factor any more.

Pooh Fan
01-25-2021, 01:40 PM
Anyone else heard the runour about them re-calling Minnie-van drivers?
Is there a connection here?

merciantinkerbell
01-27-2021, 07:44 AM
Anyone else heard the runour about them re-calling Minnie-van drivers?
Is there a connection here?

But wasn't the cost to or from the airport something like $150 each way? As much as I love the look of a Minnie van, too costly for us

Pooh Fan
01-29-2021, 01:25 PM
Agreed! At $150 each way I would opt for a car rental for the week! However I'm wondering if they are looking at a re-vamp of these systems to something between a bus and a regular van?

Cinderelley
01-30-2021, 09:28 PM
Agreed! At $150 each way I would opt for a car rental for the week! However I'm wondering if they are looking at a re-vamp of these systems to something between a bus and a regular van?

They may be hoping for that, so they can charge you to park your car.