PDA

View Full Version : Phase 3

Coleby
09-25-2020, 01:05 PM
So the governor of Florida just announced phase three of opening up. According to their website, this is what phase three means for theme parks.

Theme parks may return to normal operations with limited social distancing
protocols.

It's pretty vague, but it makes me wonder if we will be hearing news of more changes coming to the World soon.

baldburke
09-28-2020, 12:12 PM
Thanks for posting this! It was my number one reason for coming back to Intercot today (although I'm usually here at least once daily on weekdays). I for one am excited to hear this news. It's great to think that we'll have a real Superbowl this February with a full stadium.

I guess the interesting part will be to see that although not identical, WDW is a petri dish of sorts that you have all this melding or people and germs. However, if you looks at the NFL and MLB, occurrences have been low. Yes, there was some initial chatter in the MLB of cases and exposure, but overall its been low. The same is true for schools that have gone back. There was some initial chatter, but more or less its been quiet.

I'm all for getting back to "normal life," (with common sense and precautions of course) but it will be interesting to see how both Disney and Universal both reaction to this news with both being controlled by Hollywood and Cali still essentially under complete shutdown.

Coleby
09-28-2020, 06:22 PM
Without getting too political, our Governor (I live in North Florida), paints a pretty picture of how things are supposed to be, however, this is not true for the entire state. I am afraid we are going to have an increase or a second wave by being fully open. I hope I am wrong.

Anyway. Disney has said that they aren't changing their plans at this time, but we also know how Disney can change in a heartbeat.

Disney4us2
09-29-2020, 07:18 AM
I haven’t heard any news that Disney or Universal will increase their capacity. I work at Universal’s Volcano Bay and no news of capacity increases have been announced. On the weekends we are usually at phase 2 capacity by 11 am.

baldburke
09-29-2020, 12:13 PM
I haven’t heard any news that Disney or Universal will increase their capacity. I work at Universal’s Volcano Bay and no news of capacity increases have been announced. On the weekends we are usually at phase 2 capacity by 11 am.

So the demand is outpacing supply, but with Hollywood controlling both Disney and Universal then who knows.

I'm sure both companies will weather the storm with employees and customers bearing the cost. However, I'd say it will be interesting to see if the Hollywood blockbuster ever makes a full return. With so many stream services delivering original content, will people want to go back to theaters?

brad192
09-30-2020, 06:04 PM
...I'm sure both companies will weather the storm with employees and customers bearing the cost....

Yup. I just read in the LA Times that Disney is laying off 28,000 castmembers between the two facilities. 67% will be part time cast, with Disney in heavy negotiations with several union organizations to work out a deal for the remaining.

With CA still essentially in lockdown, and crowds increasing steadily in Florida, I wonder what the heck they're going to do if they end up understaffed. Time will tell. I'm not planning on returning until a decent, proven vaccine is available. Sorry Disney - my health & life are far more important than indulging my Disney Park Passion.

Cinderelley
09-30-2020, 10:50 PM
However, I'd say it will be interesting to see if the Hollywood blockbuster ever makes a full return. With so many stream services delivering original content, will people want to go back to theaters?

I think it will make a comeback. Most of the people I talk to out here repeatedly say they can't wait to get back to the movie theaters.