PDA

View Full Version : Reopening. How did it go?

Cinderelley
07-17-2020, 05:04 PM
I've been too busy to stay up on things. Does anyone know how reopening went?

Zippy 1
07-19-2020, 12:44 PM
My DD has been talking with her cast member friends. They say for the most part it is going well. There are a few things that have needed to be adjusted. All most all of the guests are following the rules without problems. Even saying that wearing the masks is not as horrible as they thought it would be given the heat and humidity. One thing guests do not like is not being able to wear gators. Disney has a rule against those and bandanas. My DD's friends are trying to adjust to all the new rules.

Cinderelley
07-19-2020, 11:32 PM
My DD has been talking with her cast member friends. They say for the most part it is going well. There are a few things that have needed to be adjusted. All most all of the guests are following the rules without problems. Even saying that wearing the masks is not as horrible as they thought it would be given the heat and humidity. One thing guests do not like is not being able to wear gators. Disney has a rule against those and bandanas. My DD's friends are trying to adjust to all the new rules.

What is a gator?

PopPhan
07-20-2020, 01:04 AM
What is a gator?

Gaiters. Those are the things that look like an oversized neck collar. LOL

For examplpe:
https://dks.scene7.com/is/image/GolfGalaxy/SVNFCBBLPRFCPE_NOCOLOR_DET?wid=2000&fmt=pjpeg

dnickels
07-20-2020, 09:12 AM
It seems to have gone pretty well.

They've had to tweak some things already, for example the original policy allowed masks-off when guests were eating or drinking, but as usually happens, people found ways to take advantage of that by walking around with a water bottle in hand and claiming they were drinking so they didn't have to wear their masks. The new policy basically doesn't allow that walking around loophole.

texas211
07-20-2020, 10:11 PM
Way more comfortable too. I've used that and vietnam scarves as it is way more breathable. Dont like this trend starting companies defining masks. Ive convinced the wife we aren't going again until this mask nonsense has passed, if ever. She wants to come back to wdw at some point.

Cinderelley
07-20-2020, 11:41 PM
Gaiters. Those are the things that look like an oversized neck collar. LOL

For examplpe:
https://dks.scene7.com/is/image/GolfGalaxy/SVNFCBBLPRFCPE_NOCOLOR_DET?wid=2000&fmt=pjpeg

Interesting. It looks like they would be hotter than a regular mask

Cinderelley
07-20-2020, 11:42 PM

They've had to tweak some things already, for example the original policy allowed masks-off when guests were eating or drinking, but as usually happens, people found ways to take advantage of that by walking around with a water bottle in hand and claiming they were drinking so they didn't have to wear their masks. The new policy basically doesn't allow that walking around loophole.

People need to be able to drink though or else they will have people dropping from dehydration like flies.

azcavalier
07-21-2020, 09:11 AM

Not really, because most of the gaiters that people would be wearing are cooling gaiters. You soak them, and they cool your skin while also protecting the back of your neck from the sun. I have one, and have used it here when I knew I would be outside for a longer period of time.

I think there are two issues with using gaiters as masks:

1. Unless you pull the gaiter up far enough to fold it back over, and thus creating a double-fabric layer, it's not nearly as effective as a mask. That's probably why they're not allowing them to substitute as a mask. You can't really enforce whether the guests are doing that.

2. They don't stay up as well because there are no straps. I was readjusting mine *all the time* to keep it over my face. It definitely kept me cooler, and it protected my neck. But it was a pain to keep over my face as a mask.

azcavalier
07-21-2020, 09:12 AM
People need to be able to drink though or else they will have people dropping from dehydration like flies.

And they can. They just have to stop in place to do it.

texas211
07-21-2020, 07:51 PM

Nah, way more comfortable. Thinner, made for summer activities like fishing, etc (there are cold weather versions. Fortunately most places don't care what you wear as long as it is something, so it works pretty well. Stays on my face and a lot more comfortable than the things that stretch over your ears. I also rotate to my scarves/giant handkerchief type things. Like a tshirt material, so pretty breathable and more comfortable, especially in hot places like AZ or Tx. I saw some that are made out of a mesh. But they are only the ear loop kind (yeah I know not as "protective" but I'm only wearing it for local compliance), so I'll stick to my gaiters and handkerchiefs/scarves.

Cinderelley
07-21-2020, 10:36 PM
Not really, because most of the gaiters that people would be wearing are cooling gaiters. You soak them, and they cool your skin while also protecting the back of your neck from the sun. I have one, and have used it here when I knew I would be outside for a longer period of time.

I think there are two issues with using gaiters as masks:

1. Unless you pull the gaiter up far enough to fold it back over, and thus creating a double-fabric layer, it's not nearly as effective as a mask. That's probably why they're not allowing them to substitute as a mask. You can't really enforce whether the guests are doing that.

2. They don't stay up as well because there are no straps. I was readjusting mine *all the time* to keep it over my face. It definitely kept me cooler, and it protected my neck. But it was a pain to keep over my face as a mask.

Oh. I never know those existed. My oldest son would probably love something like that. He gets hot very easily.

Cinderelley
07-21-2020, 10:37 PM

Ok. That would be a pain in the butt when dashing from place to place, but it is better than not drinking at all. Without fast passes, I suppose there's probably a lot of standing in line too. People would be able to drink then.

Cinderelley
07-21-2020, 10:39 PM
Nah, way more comfortable. Thinner, made for summer activities like fishing, etc (there are cold weather versions. Fortunately most places don't care what you wear as long as it is something, so it works pretty well. Stays on my face and a lot more comfortable than the things that stretch over your ears. I also rotate to my scarves/giant handkerchief type things. Like a tshirt material, so pretty breathable and more comfortable, especially in hot places like AZ or Tx. I saw some that are made out of a mesh. But they are only the ear loop kind (yeah I know not as "protective" but I'm only wearing it for local compliance), so I'll stick to my gaiters and handkerchiefs/scarves.

Does it soak up sweat pretty well?

Park Hopper
07-22-2020, 09:41 AM
Ok. That would be a pain in the butt when dashing from place to place, but it is better than not drinking at all. Without fast passes, I suppose there's probably a lot of standing in line too. People would be able to drink then.

From what I have read, the waits are really short (at least in the Magic Kingdom) and often less than what you would have for a FastPass line. I think Splash Mountain waits are still long, as people are trying to see it before it gets the makeover.

1DisneyNut
07-22-2020, 10:02 AM

This discussion is a perfect example of why I just simply do not need to go during all of this mask nonsense.

I walk fast, it is hot, I sweat and I need something to drink. I drink while I am walking. So if they actually do say something to you and try to enforce the no walking and drinking, then I would constantly be arguing with the CM's. The end result would be instead of me removing my mask while walking and while not close to anyone, I would then wait until I got to the attraction standing still in line and I would then remove my mask and drink. It is one of those trying to enforce one rule results in a worse situation kind of deals. The last place you want everyone removing their masks and drinking is in line. They can't make a rule of no drinking while in waiting in lines because someone would certainly fall out from dehydration and possibly die and then they would have a multi-million dollar lawsuit on their hands. They may end up with a few of them before this is all over with anyway due to heat exhaustion or dehydration.

I have been thinking about it the past week or so since they opened back up and all the mask rules have been coming out. I don't know that any of it really affects me very much anyway because I have been so unhappy with all of the Fastpass+ nonsense, parking fees and so forth that I had no intentions of going in the next couple of years anyway so either way it all works out the same. I do hope some good comes of all of this and they take advantage of the opportunity to make some changes in areas where they knew they had created their own mess but couldn't figure out how to back out of it. It would be an excellent time to change Fastpass to where you can't make them until you are physically in the park. It would be fine with me if they did the same thing with dining or at least withheld a good percentage of dining reservations to be used day of by in park guests.

azcavalier
07-23-2020, 09:06 AM
I have been thinking about it the past week or so since they opened back up and all the mask rules have been coming out. I don't know that any of it really affects me very much anyway because I have been so unhappy with all of the Fastpass+ nonsense, parking fees and so forth that I had no intentions of going in the next couple of years anyway so either way it all works out the same. I do hope some good comes of all of this and they take advantage of the opportunity to make some changes in areas where they knew they had created their own mess but couldn't figure out how to back out of it. It would be an excellent time to change Fastpass to where you can't make them until you are physically in the park. It would be fine with me if they did the same thing with dining or at least withheld a good percentage of dining reservations to be used day of by in park guests.

AMEN to the FastPass change. FP+ is terrible. I've still never figured out what they were thinking when they tried to spin it as allowing you to be MORE spontaneous in your vacation planning. I mean, if you have to plan the day and time to be on a roller coaster two months in advance, that is the absolute opposite of "spontaneity".

We finally went back to DL this past October (first time in 25 years) and LOVED MaxPass, even though we had to pay for it. So much better than FP+. Although, i'll admit that I do like the MagicBands for my park ticket and ability to tie a CC to it.

Bass T-bone
07-23-2020, 01:00 PM
I know I won't be returning until all this mask business goes away...

goofyskier
07-23-2020, 01:45 PM
AMEN to the FastPass change. FP+ is terrible. I've still never figured out what they were thinking when they tried to spin it as allowing you to be MORE spontaneous in your vacation planning. I mean, if you have to plan the day and time to be on a roller coaster two months in advance, that is the absolute opposite of "spontaneity".

We finally went back to DL this past October (first time in 25 years) and LOVED MaxPass, even though we had to pay for it. So much better than FP+. Although, i'll admit that I do like the MagicBands for my park ticket and ability to tie a CC to it.

Same....I’ve hated it from the outset and refuse to go back u til it is gone. I have made multiple trips to Disneyland though and love the new / old system there.

Cinderelley
07-23-2020, 04:22 PM
This discussion is a perfect example of why I just simply do not need to go during all of this mask nonsense.

I walk fast, it is hot, I sweat and I need something to drink. I drink while I am walking. So if they actually do say something to you and try to enforce the no walking and drinking, then I would constantly be arguing with the CM's. The end result would be instead of me removing my mask while walking and while not close to anyone, I would then wait until I got to the attraction standing still in line and I would then remove my mask and drink. It is one of those trying to enforce one rule results in a worse situation kind of deals. The last place you want everyone removing their masks and drinking is in line. They can't make a rule of no drinking while in waiting in lines because someone would certainly fall out from dehydration and possibly die and then they would have a multi-million dollar lawsuit on their hands. They may end up with a few of them before this is all over with anyway due to heat exhaustion or dehydration.

I had thought the same thing about drinking things in line, but people need to stay hydrated.

I really like the Maxpass system at Disneyland. You can't get a fastpass until you are in the park. It may not work for those who have an older phone though. I am not sure.

Park Hopper
07-24-2020, 08:58 AM

I will also pile on and agree that I hate the FP+ system. There have been a lot of threads on this already, but perhaps Disney World now has an opportunity to make changes to the system. I think it is insane that you have to schedule what parks you will be at and what rides you will be going on months in advance to secure a pass for many of the big rides. And, for some rides, it can still be difficult to get a pass even if you do try months in advance. I know you can always wait in standby, but with FP+ those standby waits seem even more prohibitive unless you fight your way to the ride entrance in the morning or maybe catch it really late at night. The only advantage that I can see is that you can be assured of getting on an attraction without having to get to the park early - but if you are doing that, those might be the only big rides (pre-covid) that you will get on without a wait.

I agree that some hybrid system should be in-place where you have to be present to get a FP. I am not completely against all the changes they have made. I do like the magic bands, as others have mentioned.

texas211
07-24-2020, 10:53 PM
I will also pile on and agree that I hate the FP+ system. There have been a lot of threads on this already, but perhaps Disney World now has an opportunity to make changes to the system. I think it is insane that you have to schedule what parks you will be at and what rides you will be going on months in advance to secure a pass for many of the big rides. And, for some rides, it can still be difficult to get a pass even if you do try months in advance. I know you can always wait in standby, but with FP+ those standby waits seem even more prohibitive unless you fight your way to the ride entrance in the morning or maybe catch it really late at night. The only advantage that I can see is that you can be assured of getting on an attraction without having to get to the park early - but if you are doing that, those might be the only big rides (pre-covid) that you will get on without a wait.

I agree that some hybrid system should be in-place where you have to be present to get a FP. I am not completely against all the changes they have made. I do like the magic bands, as others have mentioned.

I personally miss elbowing and tripping folks on my way to get a fast pass :)

azcavalier
07-28-2020, 09:18 AM
Same....I’ve hated it from the outset and refuse to go back u til it is gone.

I mean, I really don't like FP+, but it's not going to keep me from going back. We just had to change how we do things. And, of course, people really don't like change.

I think that eventually, Disney will get there with a good system for Fast Passes. FP+ just isn't it. You can choose to protest by not giving them your money. However, if you want them to change and you want your voice heard, not going isn't the way. Disney isn't going to ask people who aren't there what they think about the systems and the park. No one will be calling you, asking, "Hey! How come you're not at Walt Disney World!" to which you can respond, "Because FP+ *****!" However, if you're there, and you get a chance to do one of those surveys which they're always trying to get people to do, you at least have a chance to voice your opinion, and you can still have a pretty good time in the process.

texas211
07-29-2020, 09:03 PM
The surveys are for learning how to get more money out of you and who knows what else. DNA sampling perhaps :)

1DisneyNut
07-30-2020, 09:11 AM
I mean, I really don't like FP+, but it's not going to keep me from going back. We just had to change how we do things. And, of course, people really don't like change.

I think that eventually, Disney will get there with a good system for Fast Passes. FP+ just isn't it. You can choose to protest by not giving them your money. However, if you want them to change and you want your voice heard, not going isn't the way. Disney isn't going to ask people who aren't there what they think about the systems and the park. No one will be calling you, asking, "Hey! How come you're not at Walt Disney World!" to which you can respond, "Because FP+ *****!" However, if you're there, and you get a chance to do one of those surveys which they're always trying to get people to do, you at least have a chance to voice your opinion, and you can still have a pretty good time in the process.

I have to disagree with this. Businesses realize they have made a bad move when customers drop off and revenue drops. If you want to get their attention, you quit going/paying for their service. I have done just that but up until now, they have done such a good job of advertising and promoting, they have been able to overcome those of us that quit going or cut our number of trips back by drawing in first timers or people that have only been a few times within the last several years. They have been drawing in a lot of new business. Covid 19 has completely blown that strategy out of the water. They are now paying the price because those of us who are die hard fans and used to love WDW have been ignored and turned off to visiting the park. We are the ones that would plan trips and get them going again but we have been alienated.

On the topic of the surveys, I have been asked to do those numerous times. They have always been carefully crafted questions that are geared more towards what you are spending money on or if you think this service would be desirable at this price if we were to offer such a service or perk. It is all about finding ways to get more money out of you. They questions have never opened the door for me to tell them what I think about the changes they have made. At the end of the survey I just go on my little rant and tell the CM what I think anyway but they don't type it into anything because the survey doesn't have that option included. I started refusing to take the surveys a couple of years ago. I just tell them I have a stupid FP+ I am late for and need to get to. lol

texas211
07-30-2020, 08:19 PM
I think its an over emphasis on the die hards. I bet spend per person is greater for non die hards since die hards have figured out ways to save money, have saturated their ownership of disney stuff, shorter stays and potentially have ways to save money on housing, etc.

However, the financial impact of covid and the riots, may be too great. Its not just opening, its the right people and a heavy dose of them. Less people are going to want to air travel, to spend that money, will be able to spend that money, and uncertainty of the future. Elections certainly won't help that. I wonder what their breakeven to population count and demographic is.

Glad I don't work in accounting for Disney. Just tons of forecasting, reforecasting, etc.

JPPT1974
07-30-2020, 09:43 PM
Think nobody will go there until the cases decrease and possibly making the nation mask mandatory. As Europe is taking this seriously. Wished we would do that.

1DisneyNut
07-31-2020, 09:10 AM
I had something pop in my head yesterday afternoon. I have said it a couple of times the past few years on here for various reasons but man am I ever glad I did not buy DVC about 12 years ago when I took the tour and seriously considered it. I ended up telling them I wanted to wait until I got back home, crunch numbers and ponder my thoughts on it for a bit before committing.

I ended up deciding not to buy because after thinking for a while I thought about how people who buy timeshares always seem to have something come up in the future that make them wish they had never bought. I thought about how they might make changes that I may not like and some sort of change in life might come along and something could change the way we vacation. So since that time, they have introduced FP+ which I hate, taken out or changed some of my favorite attractions and are still doing so, increased pricing dramatically on everything, started charging for parking at resorts, I got divorced so that would have been fun figuring out the DVC ownership, reconnected with someone from high school who I was really close with back then but life got in the way and we have now been together for most of a year, she doesn't care much for WDW and would rather travel and finally Covid 19 came along. lol There is a list a mile long of reasons I don't visit WDW much anymore that keeps growing and am so glad I didn't buy DVC. I really never thought they could turn me off to the place but they found a way.

Cinderelley
07-31-2020, 04:29 PM
Think nobody will go there until the cases decrease and possibly making the nation mask mandatory. As Europe is taking this seriously. Wished we would do that.

We are going in January. Your definition of "seriously" may not be the same as someone else's definition of "seriously". Not everyone has the same ethical framework. That doesn't make anyone bad. It just makes them different, and different is ok.

texas211
08-01-2020, 06:00 PM
We are going in January. Your definition of "seriously" may not be the same as someone else's definition of "seriously". Not everyone has the same ethical framework. That doesn't make anyone bad. It just makes them different, and different is ok.

Better chance of getting everyone to like FP+. In fact, what do I hate more? Fp+ or the mask deal (sans gaiters).. hmm. I'll have a few years to think it over. Though as I watch sharkfest, I want to do cage diving :) I'll wear a mask (scuba) for that.

Cinderelley
08-01-2020, 06:50 PM
Better chance of getting everyone to like FP+. In fact, what do I hate more? Fp+ or the mask deal (sans gaiters).. hmm. I'll have a few years to think it over. Though as I watch sharkfest, I want to do cage diving :) I'll wear a mask (scuba) for that.

Where do I find a bigger gaiter? The one size fits all doesn't fit my son.

texas211
08-05-2020, 08:42 PM
Where do I find a bigger gaiter? The one size fits all doesn't fit my son.

I bought mine at Omahas military surplus and big ones on az.

Park Hopper
08-06-2020, 09:33 AM

Yes, Europe is taking it seriously and we are not, yet Belgium, the UK, Spain, Italy, and Sweden all have higher Deaths/1M population counts than the US (according to worldometer).

Cinderelley
08-06-2020, 06:34 PM
I bought mine at Omahas military surplus and big ones on az.

Thank you.

Cinderelley
08-06-2020, 06:35 PM
Yes, Europe is taking it seriously and we are not, yet Belgium, the UK, Spain, Italy, and Sweden all have higher Deaths/1M population counts than the US (according to worldometer).

Yeah. I'm pretty tired of people thinking that if it isn't done the way they think it should be done, then obviously those other people aren't taking it seriously.

There are reasons for the differences, but I've discovered that people don't really want to understand it. They prefer to be armchair pandemic quarterbacks, thinking the way they think without giving merit to other points of view.

texas211
08-10-2020, 08:47 PM
Yeah. I'm pretty tired of people thinking that if it isn't done the way they think it should be done, then obviously those other people aren't taking it seriously.

There are reasons for the differences, but I've discovered that people don't really want to understand it. They prefer to be armchair pandemic quarterbacks, thinking the way they think without giving merit to other points of view.

Yea like I always say, try getting 4 people at the office to decide where to go to lunch in an hour.. Everyone wants to eat, but still at least an hour. Pandemic, people agreeing on what? Nope. Like everyone agreeing on the best ride at WDW. Everyone agrees that there is a great ride, but not everyone wants to accept it was POTC.

Cinderelley
08-13-2020, 04:51 PM
Yea like I always say, try getting 4 people at the office to decide where to go to lunch in an hour.. Everyone wants to eat, but still at least an hour. Pandemic, people agreeing on what? Nope. Like everyone agreeing on the best ride at WDW. Everyone agrees that there is a great ride, but not everyone wants to accept it was POTC.

I'm an introvert. I like it that way. I don't have to deal with anyone else's desires. :P