PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain Makeover - not happy

andypooh
06-25-2020, 01:11 PM
I cannot believe Disney is going to completely change Splash Mountain. One of my absolute favorite rides in all the parks. I know they have their reasons but it seems like a huge overreaction to me. And I did not like The Princess and the Frog at all when I saw it. Certainly never once thought about race or stereotypes as we tried to save the rabbit from the wolf

azcavalier
06-25-2020, 01:47 PM
My youngest daughter (15) and I just rewatched "The Princess and the Frog" and were saying that a Splash Mountain redo feels like a natural fit for this movie. Well, except for the mountain part. Ain't no mountains in New Orleans/the bayou.

I will miss Splash Mountain, and even though they haven't said that this move is because of the current social movement/climate, I agree that it has to be a part of the decision. I think that they did a good job of removing any racist-overtones when they adapted Splash Mountain from The Song of the South, but it will always be tied to it.

This is one of those cases where I'm cool with them redoing the ride and modernizing it with a more current story and better effects (looking forward to an animatronic Louis, myself), but I will definitely miss Splash Mountain. Thank heaven we have YouTube and video ride thru's so that we will never forget.

Zippy 1
06-25-2020, 11:12 PM
This is something that has been in the works for a while. It is not in response to recent events

deedee73
06-25-2020, 11:31 PM
This truly makes me cry. I live this ride, the movies and the characters. Brer Rabbit is a wonderful Disneybmemory for me. On our last trip I was able to get an autograph and picture during the Halloween Party. Never thought that would be the last trip I would ride this favorite or see him. So so sad[emoji26][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

azcavalier
06-26-2020, 07:05 AM
This is something that has been in the works for a while. It is not in response to recent events

Yeah, I just read that last night. Definitely been working in it for quite a while. But, great timing, though!

1DisneyNut
06-26-2020, 08:54 AM
I am not a fan of changing the ride either. It has always been one of the favorites.

PopPhan
06-26-2020, 09:42 AM
Just not seeing how they will fit a "mountain" into New Orleans...or Lousiana, at all. BUT, like everything else they do, I will wait and see what happens.

JanetMegan
06-26-2020, 10:27 AM
So I came to the 'cot today to start a thread about this but here is my thinking...

I just watched Princess and the Frog for the first time last week (I know I'm behind). I was kind of surprised at the portrayal of both the African American culture as well as the New Orleans/backwoods type culture. The whole movie to me looked like something out of the 80's. Not racist per say but very old timey and not very "current" Am I the only one?

baldburke
06-26-2020, 12:15 PM
Just not seeing how they will fit a "mountain" into New Orleans...or Lousiana, at all. BUT, like everything else they do, I will wait and see what happens.

My thoughts exactly! No hills or mountains in the Mississippi Delta Region. Maybe they could configure it for post-Katrina flooding since NOLA is actually below sea level. I'm joking on this of course. Don't kick me off Intercot!

Anyway, I too am disappointed by all this cancel culture. Don't erase your past, embrace past shortcomings and recognize that we are now smarter and better. Otherwise we will surely fail again.

John
06-26-2020, 01:33 PM

It may have been in the works for a while - but it's also safe to say it was fast tracked by current events...

Giggy
06-26-2020, 03:33 PM
Mixed views on this one, Splash Mountain has been probably my favourite ride since I was a child and I will certainly miss it. I have never seen Song of the South but I saw it (as most people probably do?) as effectively a stand-alone ride. I have never been that keen on the recent trend of giving every stand-alone ride an overhaul based on a movie as then the original story is effectively lost forever.

That said I understand why some communities may find a ride based on Song of the South distressing and if they do it certainly isn't my place as a Caucasian British man to be telling them how they feel about it. For what it's worth the artist impressions do look very nice and it will be Disney's challenge to try and tie it in with the park location. I'll only be able to judge the move once it is finished I guess.

My biggest complaint is that with my next trip now scheduled for May 2021 I am in the situation where the refurb work will have almost definitely started but almost definitely not finished. So I get neither ride. :(

texas211
06-27-2020, 06:33 PM
So I came to the 'cot today to start a thread about this but here is my thinking...

I just watched Princess and the Frog for the first time last week (I know I'm behind). I was kind of surprised at the portrayal of both the African American culture as well as the New Orleans/backwoods type culture. The whole movie to me looked like something out of the 80's. Not racist per say but very old timey and not very "current" Am I the only one?

My thoughts exactly! No hills or mountains in the Mississippi Delta Region. Maybe they could configure it for post-Katrina flooding since NOLA is actually below sea level. I'm joking on this of course. Don't kick me off Intercot!

Anyway, I too am disappointed by all this cancel culture. Don't erase your past, embrace past shortcomings and recognize that we are now smarter and better. Otherwise we will surely fail again.

Well, yeah. I haven't seen many talking gators or glowbugs down south either. Another great ride bites the dust. I keep waiting for the Hall of Presidents to be changed to the Hall of President since someone pretty much hates all of them.

Gator
06-29-2020, 07:52 PM
I'm totally with you. Really bad move. And yeah, it was definitely politically motivated by current events. No doubt. My 9 year old cried for 30 minutes when I told her. It's her favorite ride, and mine, too. Hard to believe they'd take it out.

texas211
06-29-2020, 09:02 PM
I'm totally with you. Really bad move. And yeah, it was definitely politically motivated by current events. No doubt. My 9 year old cried for 30 minutes when I told her. It's her favorite ride, and mine, too. Hard to believe they'd take it out.

Blood in the water now. Folks will find something about every ride.. By the end, there will just be dole whips (maybe) and a pond.

goofyskier
06-30-2020, 02:28 PM
Blood in the water now. Folks will find something about every ride.. By the end, there will just be dole whips (maybe) and a pond.

Guess ya always have the option to stay home then. :)

ThanxForNoticin
06-30-2020, 04:18 PM
My 9 year old cried for 30 minutes when I told her. It's her favorite ride, and mine, too. Hard to believe they'd take it out.

It's actually harder to believe it took this long. It should have been done years ago. It's based on a theme and a movie the younger generations will never know and never relate to. It's being replaced by characters and songs the younger generations do know. And there's no reason to think the new version, when it opens, can't be a favorite of your daughter's as well.

Attractions change all the time over the years for various reasons. And we still seem to go back to enjoy them year after year - at least until a pandemic put a pin in it for a bit. Very much looking forward to the new splash ride.....

DNS
06-30-2020, 05:40 PM
It is all so sad that everything is political these days. I’m all for not hurting feelings, but Splash Mountain, seriously?

azcavalier
07-02-2020, 04:05 PM
Interesting those of you who are saying that there are no mountains in New Orleans...there were no mountains in Brer Rabbit's story, either, but yet here we are. I mean, it's literally a story of Brer Rabbit being chased through bayou country *already*. It's no big stretch to just drop The Princess and the Frog's scenes into that ride.

Cinderelley
07-02-2020, 04:24 PM
It's actually harder to believe it took this long. It should have been done years ago. It's based on a theme and a movie the younger generations will never know and never relate to. It's being replaced by characters and songs the younger generations do know. And there's no reason to think the new version, when it opens, can't be a favorite of your daughter's as well.

Attractions change all the time over the years for various reasons. And we still seem to go back to enjoy them year after year - at least until a pandemic put a pin in it for a bit. Very much looking forward to the new splash ride.....

Actually, there is a reason. Perhaps they don't like the Princess and the Frog. I LOVED Maelstrom. I hate Frozen. I went on this ride once so that others could see it. I doubt if I ride it again unless I'm with a small child who loves Frozen.

There are lots of rides in the world that aren't based on a movie, and kids love them. Kids don't have to see Song of the South to like the ride. Pirates of the Caribbean was a beloved ride before the movies. It's ok that you are looking forward to it, but that doesn't mean everyone else will like the change.

andypooh
07-02-2020, 07:28 PM
Actually, there is a reason. Perhaps they don't like the Princess and the Frog. I LOVED Maelstrom. I hate Frozen. I went on this ride once so that others could see it. I doubt if I ride it again unless I'm with a small child who loves Frozen.

There are lots of rides in the world that aren't based on a movie, and kids love them. Kids don't have to see Song of the South to like the ride. Pirates of the Caribbean was a beloved ride before the movies. It's ok that you are looking forward to it, but that doesn't mean everyone else will like the change.

As much as I am not happy because I love the original I also thought The Princess and the Frog Movie was not good so that adds to why I am not too happy with this redo

azcavalier
07-06-2020, 01:46 PM
It's ok that you are looking forward to it, but that doesn't mean everyone else will like the change.

Obviously it's fair to believe that not everyone will like the change. For some, however, this might become their new favorite ride, when they didn't care for Splash Mountain. I don't think that the lines will be going away at the new version of this ride.

For me, personally, I think that the Tiki Room and the Country Bears are some of the worst attractions on the planet, and I didn't mind Stitch's Great Escape. I would rather go do Stitch 20 times in a row than sit through either the Tiki Room or The Country Bears. In fact, I think that The Country Bears is the *worst* attraction in all of Disney.

But that's me. And I recognize that others love it for a variety of reasons. I respect that. Please, by all means, go and enjoy them. Just don't ask me to sit through it with you.

texas211
07-10-2020, 10:19 PM
Well, I remember reading people complaining about half the attractions for some issue or another. Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Presidents, Davy Crocket/Tom Sawyer, Tiki, Aladdin, Pirates, Dumbo, Peter Pan, Carousel of Progress, Monsters Inc, and MainStreet USA. Disney might be under construction for another decade. :)

goofyskier
07-11-2020, 09:54 AM
Well, I remember reading people complaining about half the attractions for some issue or another. Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Presidents, Davy Crocket/Tom Sawyer, Tiki, Aladdin, Pirates, Dumbo, Peter Pan, Carousel of Progress, Monsters Inc, and MainStreet USA. Disney might be under construction for another decade. :)

Walt did say Disney would always be changing. :)

Cinderelley
07-11-2020, 05:48 PM
Obviously it's fair to believe that not everyone will like the change. For some, however, this might become their new favorite ride, when they didn't care for Splash Mountain. I don't think that the lines will be going away at the new version of this ride.

For me, personally, I think that the Tiki Room and the Country Bears are some of the worst attractions on the planet, and I didn't mind Stitch's Great Escape. I would rather go do Stitch 20 times in a row than sit through either the Tiki Room or The Country Bears. In fact, I think that The Country Bears is the *worst* attraction in all of Disney.

But that's me. And I recognize that others love it for a variety of reasons. I respect that. Please, by all means, go and enjoy them. Just don't ask me to sit through it with you.

Lol. I remember my father dragging me onto Country Bears when I was young. I always thought it was creepy. He would take us to the Tiki Room also, which I thought was boring. Now that I'm older, I wonder if he was just looking for spots to rest or cool off. I took my kids to the Tiki room once when they were young for purely nostalgic reasons. It was closed, but the cast member said she would give us a lei if we could sing the song. I was slightly surprised (and proud) when my kids could sing it, since I didn't take them into it on a regular basis. It must have been genetic memory. :laughing:

pjbs35a
07-12-2020, 10:54 AM
As The Political Correctness Movement continues to attempt to rewrite history, keep your memories and pass them down to the next generation.

texas211
07-12-2020, 01:54 PM
Walt did say Disney would always be changing. :)

But he didn't say wreck it either.

As The Political Correctness Movement continues to attempt to rewrite history, keep your memories and pass them down to the next generation.

Amen

pjbs35a
07-13-2020, 08:04 AM
Just wait and see what's planned for the Hall Of Presidents!

goofyskier
07-13-2020, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=texas211;2528335]But he didn't say wreck it either.

If one ride being changed is going to “wreck” it than it was “wrecked” long ago.

goofyskier
07-13-2020, 05:43 PM

Based on polls.....a new addition :D

texas211
07-13-2020, 07:56 PM

It'll be the hall of president at best. They'll remove the others. Maybe it'll turn into a meet n greet:)

If one ride being changed is going to “wreck” it than it was “wrecked” long ago.

Just wait, it'll be a lot more of the classics, and replaced with... well.

goofyskier
07-13-2020, 08:15 PM
It'll be the hall of president at best. They'll remove the others. Maybe it'll turn into a meet n greet:)

[QUOTE=goofyskier;2528344]

Just wait, it'll be a lot more of the classics, and replaced with... well.

I really wish they kept If you had wings. I mean it would be cool to fly on a plane. Buzz is such a let down. Hate that they change things. :)

texas211
07-14-2020, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=texas211;2528346]It'll be the hall of president at best. They'll remove the others. Maybe it'll turn into a meet n greet:)

I really wish they kept If you had wings. I mean it would be cool to fly on a plane. Buzz is such a let down. Hate that they change things. :)

Well actually I like Dreamflight. :)

Some changes are good. 7 dwarfs, Mermaid, soarin, Animal Kingdom. But I get it, some folks want to see a whole new experience each time they go, or get bored easily. So, they have to come out with gimmicky things like Frozen/Maelstrom, or what not.

Kaps
07-22-2020, 12:38 PM
Going to miss it as this WAS my favorite attraction. I know the movie was an issue but the ride is just a ride

MNNHFLTX
07-26-2020, 02:24 PM
This has been in the works for awhile, so not surprising to me at all. I'm in favor. Probably the only thing I will miss is the music.

texas211
07-26-2020, 05:40 PM
This has been in the works for awhile, so not surprising to me at all. I'm in favor. Probably the only thing I will miss is the music.

One of the best Disney songs.

MNNHFLTX
07-28-2020, 12:08 AM
One of the best Disney songs. Which one?

texas211
07-29-2020, 09:08 PM
Which one?

Zip a dee do dah.

Cinderelley
07-30-2020, 12:43 AM

Well, The train bound for wreckingville got started down the tracks a while ago. Changing Splash Mountain is just another car put onto the train for me. I like Splash Mountain the way it is. I couldn't tell you how many times I sang Zip a Dee Doo Dah to get me through a bad work day.

Also The Princess and the Frog deserves it's own ride, not just a cheap remake of an old ride..

Cinderelley
07-30-2020, 10:49 PM
Is there any indication of when they are going to do this? Is construction still halted due to Covid?

baldburke
07-31-2020, 12:45 PM
Is there any indication of when they are going to do this? Is construction still halted due to Covid?

Disney is expected to report earnings next week, Tuesday in fact. It will be interesting to see how COVID-19 has impacted their business. Not just for the parks, but for travel and media as a whole. However, I'm with you. My guess is that with so many projects in progress (Ratatouille, Avengers and Tron to name a few, plus the front have of Epcot overall) and with them being cash depressed, the Splash Mountain re-theme maybe out a couple years. I'm sure they intend to follow through with the plan, but my thought is that its more of a PR move to keep them in good graces with the public.

azcavalier
07-31-2020, 02:48 PM
Disney is expected to report earnings next week, Tuesday in fact. It will be interesting to see how COVID-19 has impacted their business.

Six Flags revenue is down 96% this year. However, I don't know that Six Flags has another revenue stream than their parks, like Disney does. But Disney Parks are the most visited parks on earth, so it will be interesting to see what the revenue hit has been.

texas211
08-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Six Flags revenue is down 96% this year. However, I don't know that Six Flags has another revenue stream than their parks, like Disney does. But Disney Parks are the most visited parks on earth, so it will be interesting to see what the revenue hit has been.

Somewhere between ouch and boing.. Points if you know that reference.

Also, how come bald gets such a shorter response. I had to read 9 pages of some of yours :) j/k

Cinderelley
08-01-2020, 06:48 PM
Disney is expected to report earnings next week, Tuesday in fact. It will be interesting to see how COVID-19 has impacted their business. Not just for the parks, but for travel and media as a whole. However, I'm with you. My guess is that with so many projects in progress (Ratatouille, Avengers and Tron to name a few, plus the front have of Epcot overall) and with them being cash depressed, the Splash Mountain re-theme maybe out a couple years. I'm sure they intend to follow through with the plan, but my thought is that its more of a PR move to keep them in good graces with the public.

Oh good. I've been teasing my friend that he has gotten out of going on Splash Mountain on 3 different Disney trips now. There was no way I was going to let him get out of the 4th. Then this came along. :\

azcavalier
08-03-2020, 08:19 AM
Also, how come bald gets such a shorter response. I had to read 9 pages of some of yours :) j/k

LOL. Because you pushed all the right buttons. ;)

Cinderelley
08-06-2020, 06:44 PM
LOL. Because you pushed all the right buttons. ;)

Texas211 - the right button pusher. Your new name.

texas211
08-10-2020, 08:50 PM
Texas211 - the right button pusher. Your new name.

You must be the left.

At this point, bulldoze splash mountain and rebuild 20000 Leagues Under the Sea..Though maybe put better ventilation.

Cinderelley
08-13-2020, 04:47 PM
You must be the left.

:funny:

kingdisney
09-15-2020, 12:31 PM
I cannot believe Disney is going to completely change Splash Mountain. One of my absolute favorite rides in all the parks. I know they have their reasons but it seems like a huge overreaction to me. And I did not like The Princess and the Frog at all when I saw it. Certainly never once thought about race or stereotypes as we tried to save the rabbit from the wolf

My two cents. *If* they have to change splash and the company seems determined to do so.....change Anaheim's to princess and the frog.....and WDW's to Moana. Why? Well New Orleans square is right next door and could be moved to include Splash theoretically. World's....all they need to do is extend the Adventureland boundaries to include splash, while leaving BTMRR still in a newly redistricted frontierland. Disney is already about to do a huge referb on the Poly making the rooms and resort moana themed. The cherry on top would be making Splash Moana themed...both from a marketing standpoint and a guest standpoint. It also helps the Moana Soundtrack was co-written by Lin-Manuel Miranda of Hamilton fame and we all know how successful hamilton was for Disney +. Lastly....Hawaii/Adventureland theming allows for having a "mountain" ;)