PDA

View Full Version : Bob Chapek: "..likely going to require is masks for both the casts and the guests..."

dnickels
05-11-2020, 04:21 PM
From his interview on CNBC today, Disney CEO Bob Chapek talked about a number of things, including that he expects guests will be required to wear masks in the park at reopening, even during summer months.

"...along with social distancing, one of the things that we're likely going to require is masks for both the casts and the guests..."
(At the 5 minute mark of the interview if you want to skip ahead to that portion)

Also talks about other things including the ramping up steps at Shanghai Disney.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/05/11/watch-cnbcs-full-interview-with-disney-ceo-bob-chapek.html

imprttuner88
05-11-2020, 04:37 PM
If that’s going to be the case I’ll probably postpone my Aug 1 trip till early next year sadly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baldburke
05-12-2020, 12:25 PM
I wonder if they'll revised character costumes to include masks? Central FL in August with a mask does not sound like fun.

:(:sick::-o

1DisneyNut
05-13-2020, 08:54 AM
Nope....no fun. I'm not going to wear a mask. Haven't worn one yet anywhere and certainly not going to wear one in a park, in the heat and humidity in the middle of Florida.

goofyskier
05-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Nope....no fun. I'm not going to wear a mask. Haven't worn one yet anywhere and certainly not going to wear one in a park, in the heat and humidity in the middle of Florida.

Just guessing you won’t be going then. I won’t wear a mask their either for the same reasons. But I have been smart enough to wear them while shopping and other activities since my wife is working directly with Covid patients and I wouldn’t want to infect someone like yourself unintentionally.

Dulcee
05-16-2020, 07:53 AM
We wear our masks here whenever out in public. Its such an easy step to protect your neighbor, I don't understand the resistance of so many to do the same. Its no different for us from covering a sneeze, holding a door open, saying excuse me.

If Disney is functional come August, we'll bring a slew of character inspired masks and head out to the parks as planned.

texas211
05-16-2020, 11:13 AM
We wear our masks here whenever out in public. Its such an easy step to protect your neighbor, I don't understand the resistance of so many to do the same. Its no different for us from covering a sneeze, holding a door open, saying excuse me.

If Disney is functional come August, we'll bring a slew of character inspired masks and head out to the parks as planned.

Yeah, not wearing it to a park.

I don't even know my neighbors name. Plus, i question the use anyways, short of wearing the appropriate masks that you can either correctly clean/reuse or have disposable options. Which doesn't apply to man.

Dulcee
05-17-2020, 09:16 AM
To be honest I don't know any of my immediate neighbor's names either, it doesn't change my desire to be courteous and kind. Same reason I donate to charitable causes when I can and make sure to pick up my trash.

Fortunately going to Disney World is not a necessity for life and everyone is free to choose if they want to attend and follow the rules or not attend.

dnickels
05-17-2020, 11:46 AM
Fortunately going to Disney World is not a necessity for life and everyone is free to choose if they want to attend and follow the rules or not attend.

Exactly, it's not going to be optional. People will be required to wear a mask in the parks or they won't be allowed in.

texas211
05-17-2020, 08:08 PM
Yeah I'm not and plus I don't like the room rules and everything else is going to be a pain. Hardly worth it.

Pollyanna24
05-19-2020, 12:39 PM
I am in the lower Hudson Valley in New York and the temperatures have been in the low 70's. I wear a mask and it does get very warm under it. I cannot imagine wearing one in the heat and humidity in Disney World. I know the grandkids would be very uncomfortable with them. I know it is all a precaution but I changed my mind for this year and made reservations for May 2021. It is wait and see now.

Cinderelley
05-20-2020, 01:10 AM
Exactly, it's not going to be optional. People will be required to wear a mask in the parks or they won't be allowed in.

I don't think it will last forever. Eventually the bottom line will do the talking. If people don't go because of the masks, that restriction will be removed.

ThanxForNoticin
05-20-2020, 01:03 PM

Actually, based on the way it reads, and based on the agreement with the union, masks will be required other places than just the parks. Wherever Disney cast members and/or guests are going to be in close proximity, I expect the masks will be required - except while eating or drinking. The cast members who are being asked to work and interact with thousands of strangers during a pandemic deserve the courtesy and extra protection of guests having a face covering for the short-term.

ThanxForNoticin
05-20-2020, 01:07 PM
I don't think it will last forever. Eventually the bottom line will do the talking. If people don't go because of the masks, that restriction will be removed.

I certainly hope it's extremely short-lived. But with the forced reduced capacity that's expected when they first try to start up again, the masks won't be the reason. They'll still likely be turning people away who wish to get into the parks. By the time they get back to more normal capacity numbers, seems like the requirement for masks will be gone - because that will mean the environment is deemed safer than it is now.

merciantinkerbell
05-21-2020, 08:46 AM
Masks aren't mandatory over here, just recommended. I've not been wearing one when shopping - still furloughed so no work - not because I don't believe they work but because as an asthmatic I simply can't breathe in one. I have tried in the house sitting still with a home-made one but ran out of air and felt suffocated after less than a minute. Loosening it meant if fell off face so useless.
I really hope a vaccine is developed so normality can resume.

Sewmagickal
05-21-2020, 02:55 PM
A very self-centered attitude. You are putting others at risk. If you don’t want to wear a mask, then stay home!

merciantinkerbell
05-21-2020, 03:13 PM
Yes I am for #1 Wanting to breathe and #2 Wanting food and prescription meds for myself and DH who also needs a lung transplant

Cinderelley
05-21-2020, 04:57 PM
A very self-centered attitude. You are putting others at risk. If you don’t want to wear a mask, then stay home!

That is a very self-centered attitude also. Some people can't wear the mask as mentioned previously. Don't throw rocks in glass houses. If you you have an issue with it, then you can stay home too.

Cinderelley
05-22-2020, 01:14 AM
Masks aren't mandatory over here, just recommended. I've not been wearing one when shopping - still furloughed so no work - not because I don't believe they work but because as an asthmatic I simply can't breathe in one. I have tried in the house sitting still with a home-made one but ran out of air and felt suffocated after less than a minute. Loosening it meant if fell off face so useless.
I really hope a vaccine is developed so normality can resume.

I'm not sure how things work when someone from another country comes to the US, but I have just learned that ADA has said that people with a disability cannot be forced to wear a mask. I don't know if the ADA applies to you if you come to WDW or not though.

merciantinkerbell
05-22-2020, 06:27 AM
That is a very self-centered attitude also. Some people can't wear the mask as mentioned previously. Don't throw rocks in glass houses. If you you have an issue with it, then you can stay home too.

Thank you, thank you and thank you

merciantinkerbell
05-22-2020, 06:33 AM
I'm not sure how things work when someone from another country comes to the US, but I have just learned that ADA has said that people with a disability cannot be forced to wear a mask. I don't know if the ADA applies to you if you come to WDW or not though.

Over here they are saying that anyone who has breathing difficulties such as asthma, COPD etc or anyone who cannot remove a mask on their own should not wear one as it could be potentially dangerous.
We're not planning to return to WDW or indeed go anywhere that is more than an hour's drive from the transplant hospital until DH as had his transplant ( because you never know when that phone call will come ) and has the all clear from the doctors. A celebratory trip is planned but won't be until at least 2022.
Of course if I develop symptoms I will not be going out either and will have to figure out a way to get food and meds.

Cinderelley
05-22-2020, 05:39 PM
Over here they are saying that anyone who has breathing difficulties such as asthma, COPD etc or anyone who cannot remove a mask on their own should not wear one as it could be potentially dangerous.
We're not planning to return to WDW or indeed go anywhere that is more than an hour's drive from the transplant hospital until DH as had his transplant ( because you never know when that phone call will come ) and has the all clear from the doctors. A celebratory trip is planned but won't be until at least 2022.
Of course if I develop symptoms I will not be going out either and will have to figure out a way to get food and meds.

You two do have to be very careful. If the call comes, you don't want him to be sick with anything and miss the opportunity.

RunDMV
05-23-2020, 04:59 PM
Yeah, not wearing it to a park.

I don't even know my neighbors name. Plus, i question the use anyways, short of wearing the appropriate masks that you can either correctly clean/reuse or have disposable options. Which doesn't apply to man.

You are so right. And wearing masks is so stupid. They are nothing but a collector for every germ one comes across. All of these enlightened people wearing masks are doing themselves more harm than good. They touch surface after surface then touch the mask- everyone, so don't claim you don't. Nd if you eat/drink, what do you with the mask? Dispose of it and put on a new one? Put on the same one.

RunDMV
05-23-2020, 05:04 PM
Thank you, thank you and thank you

Here is fault in your logic. If you want me to wear a mask to protect you, then its your problem, not mine. If you are high risk or just scared, stay home. YOU want to inconvenience others.

Cinderelley
05-23-2020, 05:08 PM
Here is fault in your logic. If you want me to wear a mask to protect you, then its your problem, not mine. If you are high risk or just scared, stay home. YOU want to inconvenience others.

She wasn't the one saying that people HAVE to wear a mask. She was saying there are only recommended where she lives and that she can't wear one due to respiratory issues. Someone else stated "A very self-centered attitude. You are putting others at risk. If you don’t want to wear a mask, then stay home!"

texas211
05-26-2020, 08:25 PM
Yeah, the glove people kill me. Like, what are you doing?

joanna71985
05-27-2020, 04:10 PM
Disney submitted their reopening plan today, and masks are going to be required

mydisneygirls
05-28-2020, 09:17 AM
If you think you know more than the medical experts who say that wearing a mask helps cut down on the spread of this virus, I'd like to know what medical school you attended and what state gave you a license to practice. Masks are required in Mass. but NOT if you have a medical condition that would interfere in your breathing. Seems to be working here.

1DisneyNut
05-28-2020, 10:54 AM
About all I have to add is I had Covid 19. My entire family had it back in the very beginning in early March. It was a joke. My allergies are worse than that virus. I had every single one of the asymptomatic symptoms right down to the weird little rash. I haven't worn a mask yet and have no intentions of doing so. At this point no one is sure how long the anti-bodies last or if you are even likely to ever become ill at all from it again. I will take my chances. I can handle a couple of days of achy legs and a light cough for a week again if it happens. With all that said, we aren't in the high risk group so we shouldn't have to shelter in place and hide in our homes......life goes on.

Anyway, that is why I will not go to WDW if a mask in required. It is just nonsense and an inconvenience I am not willing to participate in. I am also in the camp that believes if you are in the high risk group or just scared to death because you watch CNN, don't go.

Goes4FastPass
05-28-2020, 11:38 AM
Visiting WDW has ALWAYS had a list of inconvenirnces anbd requirements. People have long said they would stay home if they had to book dining in advance etc.
My adult son and I planned visits to WDW and each morning somebody in the family woul ask, "what's on for today?" and we'd say, "an EPCOT day that invcludes Akershus after Frozen Ever After ..."
Noone ever said, "what if I ain't in the mood for...".
When we walked 'across the bridge' tohave our Christmas Eve dinner at BOG everyone was in the mood.
we put in some flexibility for changes like a all day rain at BB etc.
Many of us remember packed busses after fireworks and I would sometimes say out loud, "we're all in this together".
I'd like to be avoid the whole plan ahead and reserve eveything including the park entrance itself BUT I don't want to pout at home.

Altair
05-28-2020, 02:39 PM
I will take my chances. I can handle a couple of days of achy legs and a light cough for a week again if it happens. With all that said, we aren't in the high risk group so we shouldn't have to shelter in place and hide in our homes......life goes on.

So, right now the death rate worldwide, for those that have been diagnosed, is 6%. If someone put out a bowl with 100 M&M's in it and you were told 6 of them were deadly poison, would you eat an M&M?

RunDMV
05-28-2020, 07:05 PM
If you think you know more than the medical experts who say that wearing a mask helps cut down on the spread of this virus, I'd like to know what medical school you attended and what state gave you a license to practice. Masks are required in Mass. but NOT if you have a medical condition that would interfere in your breathing. Seems to be working here.

So, where were you in the first couple of months of this virus when they said the opposite? The problem with the "experts" and you believing them is that they assume the masks will be worn correctly. Repeatedly touching other surfaces and touching the mask and/or using the same mask for prolonged periods of time is much more harmful than no mask.

RunDMV
05-28-2020, 07:05 PM
So, right now the death rate worldwide, for those that have been diagnosed, is 6%. If someone put out a bowl with 100 M&M's in it and you were told 6 of them were deadly poison, would you eat an M&M?

Where did you get that number?

Altair
05-28-2020, 07:51 PM
Where did you get that number?

As of now there have been 5,900,527 cases worldwide and 361,764 deaths. That's a 6% death rate.
Recovery rate worldwide is at 42%.

Cinderelley
05-28-2020, 09:11 PM

Not all medical experts say that wearing a mask helps cut down on the spread of the virus. A lot of it can depend on the type of mask.

Cinderelley
05-28-2020, 09:13 PM
Visiting WDW has ALWAYS had a list of inconvenirnces anbd requirements. People have long said they would stay home if they had to book dining in advance etc.
My adult son and I planned visits to WDW and each morning somebody in the family woul ask, "what's on for today?" and we'd say, "an EPCOT day that invcludes Akershus after Frozen Ever After ..."
Noone ever said, "what if I ain't in the mood for...".
When we walked 'across the bridge' tohave our Christmas Eve dinner at BOG everyone was in the mood.
we put in some flexibility for changes like a all day rain at BB etc.
Many of us remember packed busses after fireworks and I would sometimes say out loud, "we're all in this together".
I'd like to be avoid the whole plan ahead and reserve eveything including the park entrance itself BUT I don't want to pout at home.

I am not quite sure what that has to do with someone being self centered because they physically can't wear a mask. People who have disabilities have just as much right to do things they enjoy as people who do not have disabilities. Is wanting to breathe being self centered? I suppose you can view it that way, but in that case, it's ok to be self centered. The person who is afraid of someone not wearing a mask can stay home just as easily as someone who can't wear a mask. It is just as self centered for the mask wearer to make the disabled person stay home.

Cinderelley
05-28-2020, 09:21 PM

If someone put out a bowl of 100 M&Ms that had 6 M&Ms with deadly poison in it and told you that eating one would allow our economy not to crash and people other than covid 19 people would receive their needed medical care, would you eat it? I would. I realize that the world is bigger than me. I am expendable for the greater good. Also, if I live, I may have developed an immunity to the deadly poison, allowing others to be safer.

What if those M&Ms can appear anywhere? When the elderly receive much needed supplies at their house, an M&M could be mixed in with their food. What happens then? They might see the M&M and take it out. They may not. What if a lot of people had eaten the M&Ms? Sure, 6 of them may die, but the other 94 of them have developed a resistance to it. They could deliver those much needed supplies to the vulnerable people and if an M&M appears, they could eat it for them. 94 people delivering supplies to those elderly people might save more people than the 6 who died from the initial M&Ms.

1DisneyNut
05-29-2020, 10:33 AM

Oh, we want to play a statistical game do we? lol

Let's not make up silly hypothetical situations. Lets play with real numbers in real life scenarios.
If I told you that almost 40,000 people die per year in car crashes and well over 100,000 are severely injured and hundreds of thousands are injured in some way, would you go out and get in your car and drive it? Chew on that for a moment.

By the way, the latest official mortality rate estimate from the CDC is 0.4%. Which is minuscule. I do not know or know of through friends or acquaintances anyone who has been hospitalized due to Covid 19. I know quite a few who have had it and it was like having a cold or allergies with body aches for a few days and on they went with their lives though.

PopPhan
05-29-2020, 11:26 AM
Okay....Can we put this "Mask vs No Mask" argument to rest, please?

Disney says "Wear a mask"...If you cannot or will not comply, then don't go and don't complain. It is their company and their right to determine the rules for entry.

This constant bickering back and forth is NOT what I expect from my INTERCOT family.

Cinderelley
05-29-2020, 07:06 PM
Oh, we want to play a statistical game do we? lol

Let's not make up silly hypothetical situations. Lets play with real numbers in real life scenarios.
If I told you that almost 40,000 people die per year in car crashes and well over 100,000 are severely injured and hundreds of thousands are injured in some way, would you go out and get in your car and drive it? Chew on that for a moment.

By the way, the latest official mortality rate estimate from the CDC is 0.4%. Which is minuscule. I do not know or know of through friends or acquaintances anyone who has been hospitalized due to Covid 19. I know quite a few who have had it and it was like having a cold or allergies with body aches for a few days and on they went with their lives though.

While this is true for most of the people who get it, there are a percentage who get very sick and a smaller percentage who die. I understand why people are concerned about them.

While I agree with you in most of your outlook on this, there are some people who will consider 1 person to be too many. When it is your loved one who is sick, the numbers don't matter. Bickering about the numbers won't change their mind.

MNNHFLTX
05-29-2020, 09:28 PM
I do not know or know of through friends or acquaintances anyone who has been hospitalized due to Covid 19. I know quite a few who have had it and it was like having a cold or allergies with body aches for a few days and on they went with their lives though.I personally know two people who have lost their mothers to COVID-19 and one friend who lost their mother and (42-year-old) brother to the virus. And I work in a hospital dealing daily with COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths. Please do not trivialize what these people and families go through just because it hasn’t touched you personally.

JPPT1974
05-30-2020, 05:33 PM
Well it is a start. Opening up but hope it will not last for long!

texas211
06-02-2020, 06:55 PM
If someone put out a bowl of 100 M&Ms that had 6 M&Ms with deadly poison in it and told you that eating one would allow our economy not to crash and people other than covid 19 people would receive their needed medical care, would you eat it? I would. I realize that the world is bigger than me. I am expendable for the greater good. Also, if I live, I may have developed an immunity to the deadly poison, allowing others to be safer.

What if those M&Ms can appear anywhere? When the elderly receive much needed supplies at their house, an M&M could be mixed in with their food. What happens then? They might see the M&M and take it out. They may not. What if a lot of people had eaten the M&Ms? Sure, 6 of them may die, but the other 94 of them have developed a resistance to it. They could deliver those much needed supplies to the vulnerable people and if an M&M appears, they could eat it for them. 94 people delivering supplies to those elderly people might save more people than the 6 who died from the initial M&Ms.

Unless they are the peanut butter filled kind, I'm passing. Besides we all do that any time we eat m&ms. The green ones are poison I thought?

joonyer
06-03-2020, 11:43 AM
I thought the green ones were magic! :confused:

Cinderelley
06-03-2020, 11:12 PM
Unless they are the peanut butter filled kind, I'm passing. Besides we all do that any time we eat m&ms. The green ones are poison I thought?

I just read that red #40 is the most toxic food dye. Maybe they are all slowly poisoning us.

azcavalier
06-04-2020, 12:27 PM
I thought the green ones were magic! :confused:

I was always told that the green ones had a much different effect, not appropriate for this forum. ;)

texas211
06-04-2020, 09:04 PM
I'm going with the green ones then.

Cinderelley
06-04-2020, 10:25 PM
I was always told that the green ones had a much different effect, not appropriate for this forum. ;)

Probably the blue ones also. Don't eat them for more than 4 hours. :P

texas211
06-07-2020, 05:32 PM
Party like a rock star!

RunDMV
06-11-2020, 04:50 AM
As of now there have been 5,900,527 cases worldwide and 361,764 deaths. That's a 6% death rate.
Recovery rate worldwide is at 42%.

In the words of Samuel Clemmons (I know, Mark Twain), "There are lies, **** lies, and statistics. In all locations where testing rates are high, death rates are low. The death rate in America is less than 1% and falling as more people are tested. And it is important to note, in all countries, the overwhelming number of deaths is in the 75 and older category .

1DisneyNut
06-11-2020, 09:57 AM
In the words of Samuel Clemmons (I know, Mark Twain), "There are lies, **** lies, and statistics. In all locations where testing rates are high, death rates are low. The death rate in America is less than 1% and falling as more people are tested. And it is important to note, in all countries, the overwhelming number of deaths is in the 75 and older category .

Exactly, and testing is still to this day so far behind and nowhere near easily enough accessed. There are literally millions of undiagnosed cases that are not counted in the statistics. How do I know this for sure.....because myself and my family did not have access to testing when we had it so we are not counted.

Anybody that is trying to stay home and avoid going out in public until there is a vaccine needs to realize that it will most likely be close to 3 years before enough vaccine can be produced for it to be available to the general public. That is assuming that a working vaccine is developed, tested and approved for use within the next 6 months or so. Who knows if that will even happen or not.

PopPhan
06-11-2020, 11:00 AM

But, there is a big difference between the number of tests done vs fatalities (your 1% figure) and confirmed cases and fatalities (simple math shows that at 5.6% currently).

There will be a huge number of people tested who do not get the virus but may still be carriers. Do you want those people to infect your loved ones? Do you want to take a chance on a loved one falling into that 5.6% category?

I am all for opening everything back up and getting back to some semblance of "normal," but I would like to see a viable and valid treatment regimen for those who DO end up with the virus before risking my loved ones. NO, I am NOT saying to wait until a vaccine is ready, tested, and widely available. We all know that it could be many months before that is ready.

IF you intend to go out in public and socialize, just be careful and take necessary precautions, listen to the recommendations of healthcare professionals, and keep yourself and those around you safe and healthy.

RunDMV
06-11-2020, 06:25 PM
But, there is a big difference between the number of tests done vs fatalities (your 1% figure) and confirmed cases and fatalities (simple math shows that at 5.6% currently).

There will be a huge number of people tested who do not get the virus but may still be carriers. Do you want those people to infect your loved ones? Do you want to take a chance on a loved one falling into that 5.6% category?

I am all for opening everything back up and getting back to some semblance of "normal," but I would like to see a viable and valid treatment regimen for those who DO end up with the virus before risking my loved ones. NO, I am NOT saying to wait until a vaccine is ready, tested, and widely available. We all know that it could be many months before that is ready.

IF you intend to go out in public and socialize, just be careful and take necessary precautions, listen to the recommendations of healthcare professionals, and keep yourself and those around you safe and healthy.

What in the World (pun intended) are you talking about???? At no time was it 5.6%. At its highpoint, when there was little testing, it was 2.5%. It is well below 1% now, unless you are 75+ years old.

And most importantly, people who died of other reasons, but tested positive for COVID are listed as COVID deaths.

PopPhan
06-11-2020, 07:18 PM
What in the World (pun intended) are you talking about???? At no time was it 5.6%. At its highpoint, when there was little testing, it was 2.5%. It is well below 1% now, unless you are 75+ years old.

And most importantly, people who died of other reasons, but tested positive for COVID are listed as COVID deaths.

Current numbers for the US: 2060158 confirmed cases, 115351 deaths ==>> 115351/2060158= 0.05599 As a percentage, that is 5.599%

But, you will believe what you want to believe....

Cinderelley
06-11-2020, 07:42 PM
One of you is discussing over all statistics. One of you is discussing statistics for those not at high risk (I believe he said over 75, but don't remember exactly.) You are comparing apples to oranges. Statistics can be made to say anything you want them to say if you word the question correctly.

As far as listening to healthcare professionals, there are quite a few of them saying different things.

Everyone has a different risk tolerance and different priorities. My mother is 80, and she would rather see her kids (including me who has been working in the covid unit) and possibly die than live and not see them. Her answer to Popphan's question is yes, she is willing to possibly fall into that 5.6% category. I have many older friends and family members who have the same view. For some people it is quantity over quality. For others, it is quality over quantity. Only they can decide what is more important to them in their life.

PopPhan
06-12-2020, 06:40 AM
One of you is discussing over all statistics. One of you is discussing statistics for those not at high risk (I believe he said over 75, but don't remember exactly.) You are comparing apples to oranges. Statistics can be made to say anything you want them to say if you word the question correctly.

As far as listening to healthcare professionals, there are quite a few of them saying different things.

Everyone has a different risk tolerance and different priorities. My mother is 80, and she would rather see her kids (including me who has been working in the covid unit) and possibly die than live and not see them. Her answer to Popphan's question is yes, she is willing to possibly fall into that 5.6% category. I have many older friends and family members who have the same view. For some people it is quantity over quality. For others, it is quality over quantity. Only they can decide what is more important to them in their life.

Thank you for that. My mother has just been taken to the hospital with COVID-19 symptoms. She tested positive this week, the test results came back yesterday, and she was rushed to the hospital this morning...Even with oxygen, before being shipped to the hospital, she is reading around 30% pulse-ox.

She is 84 and has been in a nursing home for a number of years now and we have not been able to see her since the first week of March, so if I am taking these comments a bit personally, please forgive me.

MODERATORS: Please feel free to delete any and/or all of my posts on this thread. I am sorry.

1DisneyNut
06-12-2020, 09:52 AM

I don't get what you are arguing. You are saying 5.6% of those that test positive for Covid 19 die. I have no doubt that is probably correct. RunDMV's point is that the people that die and are at high risk are above the age of 75. If you were to look at the statistics, I will guarantee you that over 95% of your 5.6% were over the age of 75 and of those I would bet most had a preexisting condition or were within a couple years of dying of either natural causes or succumbing to their preexisting condition.

That is what irritates me the most. Regardless of what they actually really were dying from, whether be cancer, COPD from 50 years of smoking or whatever; if they tested positive for Covid 19 prior to dying, the cause of death is being listed as Covid 19. It is skewing the statistics.

Current numbers for the US: 2060158 confirmed cases, 115351 deaths ==>> 115351/2060158= 0.05599 As a percentage, that is 5.599%

But, you will believe what you want to believe....

I discussed this math above. However, I will add another comment. You are doing the math based on confirmed cases. That is all fine and good but there are literally hundreds of thousands of cases that are and will forever be unconfirmed because testing was either unavailable at the time or they just simply never went to the doctor. Part of my family falls into that category but we do in fact know for sure we had it because other family members that caught it from us tested positive a couple weeks later and they had the exact same symptoms and were sick the exact same amount of time.

The problem with Covid 19 is it is extremely contagious. I hate to break it to everyone but it is not going to be months until a vaccine is widely available to the general public. It is going to be in the area of 2 years. In all likelihood the majority of the population is going to have been exposed and had Covid 19 before a vaccine is widely available. It is going to a vaccine that was rushed with very little testing and may very well not be 100% effective and we may even see unintended side effects as the masses take it over the course of a couple of years. Think long and hard before you go take a vaccine with very little testing and background history. I'm not going to be taking it anytime soon and probably never will because this is going to play itself out anyway. I am actually glad I have already had it and can just move on with my life. Those of you that are healthy and low risk should really just quit worrying about it because you are in all likelihood going to get it sometime in the next year anyway regardless of how hard you try not to unless you go hide in a cave and don't come out for the next couple of years and even then you would have a good chance of getting it anyway because it is probably here to stay like the flu.

Pophan, I am sorry to hear that your mother has tested positive and is very sick. I hope they take care of her and she recovers. There really isn't much we can do to prevent this very contagious disease from running it's course. It is just going to happen and unfortunately we are going to lose people along the way.

Cinderelley
06-12-2020, 04:49 PM
Thank you for that. My mother has just been taken to the hospital with COVID-19 symptoms. She tested positive this week, the test results came back yesterday, and she was rushed to the hospital this morning...Even with oxygen, before being shipped to the hospital, she is reading around 30% pulse-ox.

She is 84 and has been in a nursing home for a number of years now and we have not been able to see her since the first week of March, so if I am taking these comments a bit personally, please forgive me.

MODERATORS: Please feel free to delete any and/or all of my posts on this thread. I am sorry.

You are just as entitled to your opinion as anyone else and things tend to appear differently when it is you or your loved ones who are critically ill.

I feel very strongly that keeping people's families away from them when they are needed most is wrong. I am all for having them in the code rooms in the ER if the family feels they can handle it. For some people, they need that closure. For some people, having their family there helps them find strength they didn't know they had. Also, when someone is very sick, they don't think like they normally do. For example, when I was very sick in the hospital, I thought my son didn't like me, because he didn't come and visit every day. Now that I am well, I can understand that he was in college full time and had to attend classes. My very sick brain couldn't comprehend that though. If I had the money, I would make a hospice unit just for covid 19 patients, so that their family members could be at their side.

Enough of my soap box. *hugs* and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

dnickels
06-13-2020, 05:36 PM
All the arguing over statistics isn't going to change the fact that if you want to go to Disney in the near future, you will have to wear a mask. :mickey:

Mods, probably time to lock it, it's pretty well diverged from the 'here's what Chapek said' post that I meant it to be.

texas211
06-18-2020, 06:27 PM
Whats the chances people are going to wear there masks, wear them consistently and correctly. Slim I reckon.

goofyskier
06-18-2020, 08:25 PM
Whats the chances people are going to wear there masks, wear them consistently and correctly. Slim I reckon.

That’s dependent on how strict the place being visited is about them. In turn that is dependent on how strict the local and state government is going to be about enforcing whatever mandates they have passed.

1DisneyNut
06-19-2020, 09:23 AM
All the arguing over statistics isn't going to change the fact that if you want to go to Disney in the near future, you will have to wear a mask. :mickey:

Mods, probably time to lock it, it's pretty well diverged from the 'here's what Chapek said' post that I meant it to be.

There may be a little bickering going on but it is all we have to talk about. If we don't bicker about the masks, there will be no posts at all on the Disney forums right now. lol

The chances are slim. I consistently see people wearing their masks loosely or not covering their nose. The reason is because people do not like to wear them, don't like them on their face and the biggest thing is they do not like the restriction in their breathing. A large percentage of people are just putting them on to make the appearance they are wearing one to appease the public. There are employees in stores and restaurants everywhere around here wearing them improperly just to satisfy the management and the public. They might as well not even have them on.

That’s dependent on how strict the place being visited is about them. In turn that is dependent on how strict the local and state government is going to be about enforcing whatever mandates they have passed.

Well going by Disney's track record of making policies for PR and then loosely enforcing them if at all, I would say they will require everyone to have a mask on entering the park and will not allow anyone through security without one. Once you are inside the park and spending money......wear it, don't wear it....whatever man. lol

texas211
06-22-2020, 09:17 PM

How good are they at enforcing any other law/rule right now? Yeah, good luck with that. Especially since I think most people will think of WDW as an outdoor activity, and get laxed in a hurry. And again correctly, clean, etc. But, I'll wait until some other time for wdw.

goofyskier
06-23-2020, 12:29 PM
How good are they at enforcing any other law/rule right now? Yeah, good luck with that. Especially since I think most people will think of WDW as an outdoor activity, and get laxed in a hurry. And again correctly, clean, etc. But, I'll wait until some other time for wdw.

If the number of cases in Florida keep rising like they are the problem is going to solve itself. By this I mean they are going to need to be very stringent or risk being forced to close again because of the risk to the public.

Yunker45
06-26-2020, 09:16 AM
Still, if they do enforce strictly the mask rule, there's going to be a reduced stream of attendants, but there WILL be attendants. Few customers beats no customers.

texas211
06-27-2020, 06:37 PM
Still, if they do enforce strictly the mask rule, there's going to be a reduced stream of attendants, but there WILL be attendants. Few customers beats no customers.

That's not actually true. If you spend 5 mill a day on staff/expenses, but only bring in 3 mill worth of customers, a pretty big problem.

If you meant park staff, well, people will be families with 2 parents but 4 kids.. 2 are always free :)