PDA

View Full Version : goodbye refill mugs

waymickey
04-27-2020, 10:42 PM
As I had dinner I looked at my refill mug on my table and realized that it is probably the last refill mug for a while that will be sold at Disney. With the current situation I would have to assume that refill mugs will be discontinued. It is strange to think about all the changes that will happen in the next year.

PopPhan
04-28-2020, 01:31 PM
Why would they do away with refillable mugs? One user, so no big virus-passing opportunity. The mug never touches the drink spigot.

Cinderelley
04-28-2020, 10:54 PM
Why would they do away with refillable mugs? One user, so no big virus-passing opportunity. The mug never touches the drink spigot.

They have gotten rid of refillable cups at fast food places. Well, technically you just go up and get another cup if you want a refill. It was the same way at the movies where we live when they were still open.

waymickey
04-28-2020, 10:57 PM
They are getting rid coffee makers in the rooms and that should be single family use. I don't think they are going to want refillable mugs in the resorts. It is not contactless.

joonyer
04-29-2020, 09:55 AM
The Refillable Mug program is the least of the issues Disney faces before reopening. Every theme park, every attraction, restaurant and restroom in the parks are not contactless. There is simply no way to reopen them safely until a vaccine is developed and deployed. Once that happens, the mugs will be no more of an issue than they were before.

Cinderelley
04-30-2020, 04:47 AM
I really don't think they have to wait for a vaccine. There are other diseases that are much more deadly that you can pick up when you are out and about. I remember when MRSA was the latest craze. Now it is everywhere and no one bats an eye.

joonyer
04-30-2020, 10:33 AM
MRSA is a bacterial infection and is much less contagious (lower risk of infection) than Covid-19. But yes, theoretically you could catch it from another infected person at a theme park. Nevertheless, Covid-19 is so contagious and widespread and has such a high death rate, I think Disney would be reckless to open them parks before a vaccine was available or at least an effective treatment therapy to reduce the risk of death becomes widely available. I'm sure the common cold (rhinovirus) has always been widely spread at theme parks (think of the handrails in the queues) but the death rate is almost non-existent, so guests and park owners pretty much ignore that risk. It's a lot different right now with Covid-19. Putting tens of thousands of people together in any location (sports arenas, theme parks, etc.) while the virus is still being widely spread is pretty much guaranteed of creating a super-super-spreader event.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-30-2020, 05:49 PM
It is going to be interesting. I don't think the mug is an issue in itself, but that people have to touch things to use it. Maybe we'll see like on the cruise where people are given wipes all over the place and before entering food areas.

I was always a wary at Disney anyways, so many people touching things! We washed hands a lot and used tons of sanitizer.

joonyer
05-01-2020, 01:44 PM
Theme parks have always been a germophobe's worst nightmare. For most people with good immune systems, normal bacteria and viruses are of little concern, so the parks are normally packed. But this novel coronavirus seems like a whole new ball game. I don't think people will be returning en masse to theme parks for a long time (until there is a widespread vaccine). I read a projection today that Disney's park division is losing about $30 million per day. Not good for the stock price.

Cinderelley
05-01-2020, 06:52 PM
MRSA is a bacterial infection and is much less contagious (lower risk of infection) than Covid-19. But yes, theoretically you could catch it from another infected person at a theme park. Nevertheless, Covid-19 is so contagious and widespread and has such a high death rate, I think Disney would be reckless to open them parks before a vaccine was available or at least an effective treatment therapy to reduce the risk of death becomes widely available. I'm sure the common cold (rhinovirus) has always been widely spread at theme parks (think of the handrails in the queues) but the death rate is almost non-existent, so guests and park owners pretty much ignore that risk. It's a lot different right now with Covid-19. Putting tens of thousands of people together in any location (sports arenas, theme parks, etc.) while the virus is still being widely spread is pretty much guaranteed of creating a super-super-spreader event.

According to the American College of Chest Physicians, when MRSA first came out, it had a 17% mortality rate. It can last on surfaces up to 2 months, and the incubation period was an average of 10 days. You can get it by contact with a person or contact with a surface that an infected person has touched. It was a big deal a long time ago. Now no one outside of healthcare really worries about it.
Everyone has to do what they are comfortable with, including the employees at the park.

texas211
05-03-2020, 07:08 PM
We've all stepped in florida hotel carpets.. I'm not worried about covid, ebola maybe.