PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled Reservations during shutdown: how will Disney handle points?

FiggyFan
03-22-2020, 07:22 AM
So far, Disney has made one accommodation for people who had reservations during the shutdown: Points will not be placed into a holding account, which is usually done for cancellations in the final 30 days before arrival. Instead, the points will be placed directly back into the current use year.

This still leave the question: how many members will lose points? There is no way all those people will find accommodations in time to use them, especially if a use year is ending in the next month or two. Our use year is August, so it is not a big deal for us, but some people could lose significant points!

Disney is between a rock and a hard place. If they push all of those points into the next use year, that year will be flooded, and there won't be enough rooms. So, what do they do?
1) leave current policy in place, and it is luck of the draw which members were impacted?
2) spread the affected points across multiple years to limit the points glut?
3) Require the affected points to be used for non-DVC resorts?
4) Something else?

texas211
03-22-2020, 10:48 AM
So far, Disney has made one accommodation for people who had reservations during the shutdown: Points will not be placed into a holding account, which is usually done for cancellations in the final 30 days before arrival. Instead, the points will be placed directly back into the current use year.

This still leave the question: how many members will lose points? There is no way all those people will find accommodations in time to use them, especially if a use year is ending in the next month or two. Our use year is August, so it is not a big deal for us, but some people could lose significant points!

Disney is between a rock and a hard place. If they push all of those points into the next use year, that year will be flooded, and there won't be enough rooms. So, what do they do?
1) leave current policy in place, and it is luck of the draw which members were impacted?
4) Something else?

I don't think it will be flooded. The natural attrition through the new financial environment should thin the herd. Plus, the virus isn't going anywhere (the flu and everything is around) so even if we resume life, people will still have some considerations to make.

JasonErp
03-24-2020, 09:12 AM
4) Something else?

1) They will for the most part leave the current policy in place. For the most part if you borrowed points they are putting those points back for you. Those, however, that might have had a June use year and banked 2018 points into 2019 will have those points lost. I don't see Disney giving those points another 12 months. I have no idea the number of members in this situation. If I was to guess I would say less than 5% of the members.
2) I don't see that happening.
3) I don't see that happening.
4) Imagine if Disney said for the next 2 years you can only make a reservation for those people on your membership. Basically not allowed to rent out your points. That would never happen but it would solve any availability issue for the next 2 years.

Jason

Crow
04-04-2020, 07:58 PM
i used last years points and most of this years to book my trip for the first week of May. so i guess they will cancel my reservations, put my 2020 pts back and what w my 2019 pts...lose them

TinkerTude
04-14-2020, 11:04 AM

4) Something else?

And What about AP members. I pay monthly, and I was originally told that the payment would stop. Now I am told to keep paying but the length of days before expiration will be added... So upsetting and confusing at the same time

Crow
05-18-2020, 06:56 PM
called the other day to try to book October. my 2019 points i used for May 3rd trip have not been banked yet. nothing much was available for a 1 bedroom other than SSR...but I did get Oct 13 for 2 nights at Boulder Ridge for 60 points. once they bank my 2019 pts i should have 100 points left to try and book a few more nights for this October if anything is available