PDA

View Full Version : Iguana Know About It...

brad192
01-23-2020, 01:35 PM
Hello fellow Intercotees!

So, I was watching the national news a day or so ago & I saw a piece on the cold temps hitting Florida this week causing :lizard: iguanas :lizard: to become dormant and fall from the trees in which they frequent. I'm just curious as to whether this is a widespread problem or not. I understand that iguanas are an invasive species in Florida, their numbers are increasing alarmingly, and most Floridians consider them a nuisance at best, but having them falling from trees in a comatose state seems just hilarious to me. :funny: The only 3 things we Michiganders get falling onto the ground this time of year are snow, ice, and rain (usually of the freezing variety).

So, Florida Intercot members, what's the real scoop on "Iganageddon"? Iguana know the truth!:mickey: (Sorry...);)

faline
01-23-2020, 02:33 PM
Fortunately, the iguanas have not spread as far north as I live but they are quite a few of them when you get into southern parts of the state. They get quite large so I certainly wouldn't want to have one fall on me!!!

Altair
01-23-2020, 03:33 PM
All cold-blooded animals shut down when the temperature gets too cold, it's just more obvious when a 20 pound lizard falls into your lap.

Disney4us2
01-26-2020, 06:52 AM
I'm 20 minutes from Disney. I didn't see any iguanas at all. The only wild life I see are exotic birds, squirrels and the occasional black racer snake. Tons of smaller lizards, but they found shelter against the cold.

magicofdisney
01-26-2020, 07:21 PM
I've not seen any falling iguanas in my neck of the woods. I do have to often sidestep smaller lizards as we walk our dog during this time of year because they're too cold to scurry out of our path.