PDA

View Full Version : Free Dining 2020.........Is Free Dining Still a Thing

HndrdPrcnt
06-20-2019, 09:08 PM
Hey Friends -

So, it has been 13 years since we have vacationed at WDW....however, I have my big 5-0 coming up and my baby is graduating high school so we are thinking about doing a 2020 trip. I would like to do it in January (my bday month) or in Sept/Oct timeframe.

Question is this.....do they still offer a Free Dining package during certain times of the year?? Does anyone know when those times might be in 2020??

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Hndrdprcnt

Cinderelley
06-21-2019, 05:53 AM
I am going to guess that they won't be offering any discounts in the foreseeable future due to the opening of Galaxy's Edge.

PopPhan
06-21-2019, 09:26 AM
Even if there IS a "free dining" offer when you go, it is nowhere near as good as it was in the early days.

Different levels of dining based on the resort you are staying at...I know Value Resorts only get the Counter Service Plan anymore. I don't know if even the Moderates get the Standard Table Service Plan now.

No more appetizer or tip included in the offer, just entree, dessert and drink (but you ARE allowed one 'adult' beverage where available.)

There are other offers that would be better in the long run.

dizneydeb22
07-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Even if there IS a "free dining" offer when you go, it is nowhere near as good as it was in the early days.

Different levels of dining based on the resort you are staying at...I know Value Resorts only get the Counter Service Plan anymore. I don't know if even the Moderates get the Standard Table Service Plan now.

No more appetizer or tip included in the offer, just entree, dessert and drink (but you ARE allowed one 'adult' beverage where available.)

There are other offers that would be better in the long run.

This is true. I booked our vacation with a 25% room discount and I saved more than I would have if I received free dining. It is worth it to take time to do the math. Whatever you decide, I hope it's a magical stay with plenty of pixie dust!!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
07-30-2019, 01:03 PM
My guess is that they won't completely do away with "free" dining as it is still a very solid promotional tool. However, what they will continue to do, is to lessen its impact by restricting it to fewer resorts and to minimize the value (Value/Mod resorts only get the CS dining plan while Deluxe resorts get the full DDP). I think free dining is generally only offered in the fall for periods that could include parts of Sept, Oct, Nov & Dec (there are lots of black out dates). Not sure if they still offer it, but we did a Feb trip in 2015 that was on the Stay, Play Dine promotion. Not as good as free dining, but still a reasonable discount at the time.

Best thing to do, check out the internet and look at the historical listing of discounts and release dates. Will give you a very good idea.

Imalismom
07-30-2019, 01:35 PM
I have found that if I research the prices of the meals I want, I can get Disney gift cards in that amount, and use those. Last time I had the dining plan, I was hurrying from place to eat TO place to eat... plus, trying to get the snack credit used up also. Plus, without the dining plan, it opens up resort discounts that usually save me a lot more money.

texas211
07-30-2019, 04:23 PM
They don't even have free pickles at Pecos Bill anymore.

magicofdisney
07-30-2019, 07:38 PM
They don't even have free pickles at Pecos Bill anymore.
First it was the cheese sauce, now the pickles... What will they take next? :confused:

(I'm not being facetious. As unhealthy as that cheese sauce is, my family still LOVES it.)

texas211
07-30-2019, 08:00 PM
First it was the cheese sauce, now the pickles... What will they take next? :confused:

(I'm not being facetious. As unhealthy as that cheese sauce is, my family still LOVES it.)

It'll be like the 70s, must pay to use the head.