PDA

View Full Version : Testing and Updates on Walt Disney World's Skyliner System

Figment!
01-28-2019, 07:53 PM
2/22/19

You can check out video of the Skyliner in action on the INTERCOT Facebook Page here:

https://www.facebook.com/intercot/videos/382264935897329

2/11/19

Walt Disney Imagineering has given a first look at how the Skyliner will impact the sightlines as you approach Disney's Hollywood Studios.

It appears to be particularly impactful from the path to the Boardwalk and likely the new bust stops.

1/28/19

The Walt Disney World Resort has released a new video showing the testing of the new transportation system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGUsuKLFZGY

Additionally, 25 Gondola "themes" have been announced:

Beauty & the Beast
Chip & Dale
Coco
Donald Duck & Daisy Duck
Finding Dory
Frozen
Guardians of the Galaxy
Goofy
Horace Horsecollar & Clarabelle Cow
Lilo & Stitch
Mickey Mouse & Minnie Mouse
Moana
Monsters, Inc.
Peg-Leg Pete
Peter Pan
Pirates of the Caribbean
Pluto
R2-D2 & C-3PO
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Ratatouille
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
The Haunted Mansion
The Princess and the Frog
Toy Story
Zootopia

Jeff
01-29-2019, 07:21 AM
I am looking forward to this transportation option!

TheVBs
01-30-2019, 09:36 AM
This is so exciting! Cannot wait to try this!

texas211
01-30-2019, 07:53 PM
Will they have disney air fresheners you can walk around with?

disneyorvegas
02-19-2019, 08:52 AM
This is what I fear, especially due to my fear of heights, imagine the areas you could get stuck. Although the Disney Skyliner pics I’ve seen haven’t been too far off the ground. But this incident in Seaworld San Diego they were over water. Ugh
https://www.apnews.com/aea502a4689b4f13b0ed6cc890746be7?utm_campaign=Soci alFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Wayne
02-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Reports are that a freak sudden wind gust of 60 mph caused the safety systems to shut the ride down. Wind speeds throughout the day were within normal operating parameters. Safety systems worked just like they were supposed to and the riders were protected.

ThanxForNoticin
02-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Hoping that once the gondolas are actually running, it'll look a little better. Right now, the towers and lines are a bit of an eye-sore. Looks like power lines outside EPCOT and HS. But at one time, I think folks regarded some of the monorail tracks as an eye-sore, too! We'll see how this works out.

RunDMV
02-21-2019, 06:55 PM
Hoping that once the gondolas are actually running, it'll look a little better. Right now, the towers and lines are a bit of an eye-sore. Looks like power lines outside EPCOT and HS. But at one time, I think folks regarded some of the monorail tracks as an eye-sore, too! We'll see how this works out.
This. Additionally, from the HS parking lot, the "screen" of trees that isolates Disney from the real world has a hole in it. You can look all the way to downtown Orlando and the high rise hotels. Tacky.

1000th_Ghost
02-22-2019, 08:44 AM
This. Additionally, from the HS parking lot, the "screen" of trees that isolates Disney from the real world has a hole in it. You can look all the way to downtown Orlando and the high rise hotels. Tacky.
Ugh. I hope this isn't one of the "new vistas and landscapes" they talk about in the video.

Tekneek
02-22-2019, 10:34 AM

"Show" does not mean what it once did, as can be seen all over the property at this point.

Figment!
02-22-2019, 07:57 PM
**Update**

baldburke
02-25-2019, 03:45 PM
Any word on when human testing will begin?

Altair
02-25-2019, 04:51 PM
This thing is going to end up needing FastPass. Does each gondola really only hold 4 people?

Tylerro
02-26-2019, 10:01 AM
Will all the gondolas be the same size?

Figment!
02-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Any word on when human testing will begin?

Volunteering? ;)

Probably no earlier than Late Summer per the 'Fall 2019' opening date. There's less precedent for a new transportation system like this (vs a ride), so there is less expectation on how exactly Disney will handle the testing and introduction.

Does each gondola really only hold 4 people?

6-8 is what has been reported by the gondola manufacture. The 6 - 8 Guest capacity has not been clarified to include child vs adult Guests or sitting vs standing requirements.

Will all the gondolas be the same size? Based on the information released to-date, yes; it appears so.

The "stock" gondola from the manufacture has been displayed to have a somewhat configurable interior. Based on their unit displayed at the 2018 IAAPA, at least one of the two benches folds up; making the interior space of each gondola somewhat configurable in size.