PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Earth 2-year Rehab? Fact or Fiction?

PopPhan
10-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Have been seeing some hub-bub about Spaceship Earth closing sometime next year (2020) for a two (2) year rehab. At which time most of the ride will get 'freshened' up to the scene with the newspaper boy, then mostly new from there on...including having something 'real' as you go back down...The exit area to be completely gutted and redone, and all the graphics, including the Earth shot as you are going backward, brought up to HD levels.

Is there any truth to these rumors? I would hate to be spreading conjecture and wishful thinking. Does that mean there is a new sponsor?

If this is so much baloney, feel free to remove this message/thread.

magicofdisney
10-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Just last night I saw similar information, but I can't remember where. I'm thinking it's genuine and I'm glad to hear about it. The novelty of that backwards ride down SSE is long gone.

Fangorn
10-12-2018, 01:06 PM
My gut tells me this is true - at least in general.

There does seem to be a lot of buzz on this one, and Disney's official statement on the subject has been to neither confirm nor deny the rumor - just re-state that Epcot is undergoing a multi-year transformation. If, as I've read (and seems likely after nearly 40 years or operation), that the entire ride track needs to be replaced, then the two-year timeframe seems logical to basically dismantle the entire ride and re-build it. Since there's currently no sponsor for Spaceship Earth, Disney is free to do whatever they want to do with the area.

The "late 2022" re-opening date that's been circulating matches with the 40th anniversary of Epcot on Oct 1, 2022. So this could easily be part of the larger "multi-year transformation" of Epcot.

Steve

vicster
10-12-2018, 02:34 PM
My travel agent at Magical Journeys posted it so I'm guessing it's true.

Tekneek
10-12-2018, 02:55 PM
just re-state that Epcot is undergoing a multi-year transformation

Based on the trend, I don't have a good feeling about that. We'll see if it comes out better on the other side.

texas211
10-12-2018, 10:09 PM
I may need an AED, for myself.

CaptSmee
10-14-2018, 11:06 PM
Bring back Jeremy Irons narration

Cinderelley
10-15-2018, 12:56 AM
Would they really have such an iconic ride closed for their 50th?

texas211
10-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Would they really have such an iconic ride closed for their 50th?

People who would take out, We wants the redheads, clearly would do anything.

DizneyFreak2002
10-20-2018, 04:58 PM
Not fiction... timeline shocked me, still trying to gather info if the dates are in deed correct because i actually heard closing at a later date than 2020... I heard 2021 or 2022... Plans may have been pushed up... The spine work is scheduled for 2020, so maybe they decided to include SSE into the work... Hopefully can find out this week while I am visiting...

Cinderelley
11-03-2018, 04:10 AM
Not fiction... timeline shocked me, still trying to gather info if the dates are in deed correct because i actually heard closing at a later date than 2020... I heard 2021 or 2022... Plans may have been pushed up... The spine work is scheduled for 2020, so maybe they decided to include SSE into the work... Hopefully can find out this week while I am visiting...

Just wondering if you heard anything.

texas211
11-03-2018, 06:43 PM
The rides that keep me coming back, are quickly eroding away..

Cinderelley
11-03-2018, 10:31 PM
The rides that keep me coming back, are quickly eroding away..

Yeah. I understand that some people want new stuff, but I go back because of the stuff I like. If I wanted all new stuff, I would go to a different theme park.

PopPhan
11-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Yeah. I understand that some people want new stuff, but I go back because of the stuff I like. If I wanted all new stuff, I would go to a different theme park.

DING!!! Another vote for the mythical 5th Gate?????

DizneyFreak2002
11-05-2018, 09:23 PM
Just wondering if you heard anything.

Nope, but I did for a few other things...

Sorry, I haven't been by a computer since I returned home from my trip... I do want to finish my trip reports, eventually, and I do want to write up a mini rumor thread, which is always good for a discussion or two...

DizneyFreak2002
11-05-2018, 09:28 PM
DING!!! Another vote for the mythical 5th Gate?????

Universal will get it's third before WDW gets a 5th... They need to flush out and fix the parks they have first, which they are doing... Once those parks are built out, then I can see a 5th park... Until then...

BTW, Universal needs to work on a few parts of the Studios and IOA, but everything seems to be on hold due to park 3... Dunno how I feel about that.... Because we could have had been discussing an Avengers ride in Superhero Island... Instead, we have nothing....

Cinderelley
11-06-2018, 10:54 PM
Universal sounds like it has some great stuff, but I just can't go there until they can accommodate DDIL's size. Hopefully they will take that into consideration when they do the new park.

DizneyFreak2002
11-07-2018, 05:29 PM
Universal sounds like it has some great stuff, but I just can't go there until they can accommodate DDIL's size. Hopefully they will take that into consideration when they do the new park.
That's my biggest issue with Universal... They do make their attraction seating for regular size people and do not take larger sized guests into account... I never had an issue at Disney, I had one issue at Universal...

Cinderelley
11-07-2018, 11:26 PM
That's my biggest issue with Universal... They do make their attraction seating for regular size people and do not take larger sized guests into account... I never had an issue at Disney, I had one issue at Universal...

I was so relieved when DDIL was able to get on FoP after assuring her at Disneyland that Disney would never do that to her. Researched everything. Got all the tips ready for her and DS (like flexing your foot forward) and I was the one they couldn't get to fit. I had to just laugh at the whole thing.

baldburke
11-08-2018, 12:28 PM
This doesn't surprise me if they are keeping the sphere intact during the reno. I'm imagining it would be like Tetris. Taking the guts out may be easy, but trying to squeeze everything in the original 109k sqft space will definitely be a challenge. History the sphere originally took over two years to construct, so why not two years to rebuild?

PopPhan
11-08-2018, 12:40 PM
I was so relieved when DDIL was able to get on FoP after assuring her at Disneyland that Disney would never do that to her. Researched everything. Got all the tips ready for her and DS (like flexing your foot forward) and I was the one they couldn't get to fit. I had to just laugh at the whole thing.

YOU couldn't fit? I find that hard to believe. I fit in the ride vehicle, albeit a bit snugly, but not uncomfortably.

Speedy1998
11-08-2018, 06:30 PM
This does not surprise me, after 36 years of constant use, the track needs to be replaced. I remember long ago it use to be a much smoother ride. The rumor I have heard is that the general theme is still going to be communication, but the later scenes are going to be updated. Most likely the scene with the main frame and the guy building a home computer in his garage are going to be replaced with more modern scenes. I have heard some of this is dependent on who/if they can get a sponsor for it. Obviously if they get a sponsor, the sponsor will want stuff related to the sponsors products.

Cinderelley
11-08-2018, 09:36 PM
YOU couldn't fit? I find that hard to believe. I fit in the ride vehicle, albeit a bit snugly, but not uncomfortably.

Yeah. It became rather comical. The poor CM kept pushing and pushing to get it to click, I began to wonder if I was going to be able to breathe if he did get it latched. The leg part was fine. It was the body part that was having problems. I kept expecting him to be like "ma'am, you'll have to get off the ride", but then it clicked in. I didn't have any problems after that.

DizneyFreak2002
02-13-2019, 06:55 PM
OK some details on this massive refurb...

Get your rides in now as this attraction may close late 2019 or early 2020... Refurb looks extensive... All show scenes will receive updates and refreshers... Show scenes up to the printing press scene will not change much and just receive minor changes and touching up... Everything after that though is gone, gutted, completely removed and changed... Some of the additions will bring on the dawn of the internet, social media, and the ever changing world of how we communicate with each other today and into the future, including using apps...Changes will be coming to the omnimover track and ride vehicles, as well as load, unload, and entrance queue getting some sort of preshow element... Project Tonmorrow will be scraped and a new post show will take it's place... Providing this doesn't become part of the new ride entrance queue... We'll see...

Work may begin end of 2019/early 2020 and take 2 years... Spaceship Earth will be open in time for Epcot's 40th on October 1, 2022...

Look for Innoventions West to also be replaced or done over, completely... As well as the entire spine of Future World...

PopPhan
02-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Any idea of a change in narrator? Tony Stark perhaps?!?!?!?!!!! LOL Just kidding -- I know the contract stipulations about Marvel characters.

BUT, they could have any of the Marvel actors/actresses do narration as themselves, NOT their Marvel character. Sam Jackson? Robert Downey Jr.? I'd say Scarlett Johansson, but she really doesn't have the voice for it. Cobie Smulders? Should be a voice that falls into the middle range, but is clear and smooth without sounding condescending.

WiltonJohn
02-14-2019, 03:02 PM

It would be nice if they were ADDING stuff ... not simply changing it.

best,

.................john

DizneyFreak2002
02-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Any idea of a change in narrator? Tony Stark perhaps?!?!?!?!!!! LOL Just kidding -- I know the contract stipulations about Marvel characters.

BUT, they could have any of the Marvel actors/actresses do narration as themselves, NOT their Marvel character. Sam Jackson? Robert Downey Jr.? I'd say Scarlett Johansson, but she really doesn't have the voice for it. Cobie Smulders? Should be a voice that falls into the middle range, but is clear and smooth without sounding condescending.

Sticking with this Marvel theme, only one I would consider from a Marvel movie is Patrick Stewart... Otherwise, I am not sure who will be replacing Judy Dench... Maybe no one famous...