PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating plastic straws and lids.

TheDuckRocks
08-23-2018, 11:23 AM
After reading this I have concerns:
According to Mouse Mail (an official Disneyland publication) plastic straws are to be available only by request. And plastic lids for adult iced beverages will no longer be offered. Please note that guests with disabilities who may require a straw or lid for their beverage will be accommodated with alternative options, and the Services for Guests with Disabilities team will be available before and during visits.
Last week I had a mild stroke and have been left with numbness on my left side which leaves me with minor trouble holding beverage glasses at times. I would love to hear from others who will be needing extra help and any experiences in the next few months before my next trip.
BTW, I have been extremely blessed and am doing very well. Along with using a scooter at WDW since 2005 do to mobility issues, I now have a walker and a stair lift for home use. Looking forward to many more trips to WDW in the future, zipping around on my ECV.

Cinderelley
08-24-2018, 05:54 AM
They may be using the paper straws instead of plastic now. Glad you are doing well. :)

TheDuckRocks
08-24-2018, 10:41 AM
I'm behind the paper straws 100%. My concern is a lid as they add quite a bit of stability to the cup itself.

texas211
08-24-2018, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I hate the no lid thing. I don't want stuff in my drink, the paper cups are too thin collapse. Hmm, maybe extend the resort mug option..

VWL Mom
08-25-2018, 07:13 AM
We’re here now, some of the places have made the switch to paper straws while others have not. As far as the lid for adult beverages, Disney has never provided a lid for drinks containing alcohol. We just carry our own mugs and pour it into that. Right now they are still providing lids for non alcoholic drinks.

Biggeek
08-25-2018, 04:11 PM
I HATE HATE paper straws.. not in concept, but they are actually my 'Nails on a Chalkboard." I just have the reaction to wet paper.. I get cold shivers simply thinking about it (I literally just did writing this) There is no way I can use paper straws due to this life long.. not phobia.. but involuntary reaction to it. Popsicle sticks/wrappers do the same thing to me. I'd rather chew on aluminum foil.

missymouseworld
08-25-2018, 07:44 PM
I HATE HATE paper straws.. not in concept, but they are actually my 'Nails on a Chalkboard." I just have the reaction to wet paper.. I get cold shivers simply thinking about it (I literally just did writing this) There is no way I can use paper straws due to this life long.. not phobia.. but involuntary reaction to it. Popsicle sticks/wrappers do the same thing to me. I'd rather chew on aluminum foil.

They are yucky.
Funny, I was watching TV the other day and thought of this thread when a commercial for Twizzler Straws came on.
I guess kids wouldn't mind biting off the top and bottom of a twizzler licorice and use it as a straw like the commercial showed. :mickey:

NewDVCowner
08-25-2018, 10:03 PM
I don’t know if it’s something you’d want to bring with you, but Amazon has reusable stainless steel straw you could purchase.

Cinderelley
08-26-2018, 03:26 AM
After reading this I have concerns:
According to Mouse Mail (an official Disneyland publication) plastic straws are to be available only by request. And plastic lids for adult iced beverages will no longer be offered. Please note that guests with disabilities who may require a straw or lid for their beverage will be accommodated with alternative options, and the Services for Guests with Disabilities team will be available before and during visits.
Last week I had a mild stroke and have been left with numbness on my left side which leaves me with minor trouble holding beverage glasses at times. I would love to hear from others who will be needing extra help and any experiences in the next few months before my next trip.
BTW, I have been extremely blessed and am doing very well. Along with using a scooter at WDW since 2005 do to mobility issues, I now have a walker and a stair lift for home use. Looking forward to many more trips to WDW in the future, zipping around on my ECV.

One thing I just noticed is that you mentioned the Disneyland publication, but then said you're looking to many more trips to WDW. My guess is that this will only affect Disneyland, because California is having a big push to get rid of the plastic straws. If you are going to Florida, it might be a non-issue.

TheDuckRocks
08-26-2018, 10:10 AM
One thing I just noticed is that you mentioned the Disneyland publication, but then said you're looking to many more trips to WDW. My guess is that this will only affect Disneyland, because California is having a big push to get rid of the plastic straws. If you are going to Florida, it might be a non-issue.

Sorry to have not been clear. I did a copy and paste of a section of an article that was very much longer and at the beginning of it stated both WDW and DL. The story then continued to all other aspects of the changes including the plastic bags.
I did volunteer work at the Waikiki Aquarium for a number of years and saw first hand what plastic items, balloons, and those cages from the candlelit things they send into the skies at weddings can do to sea turtles and sea lions. It's about time we humans started cleaning up after ourselves and thinking before tossing our junk where it will end up in our oceans.
That said, my selfish self is concerned about the stability of the soda fountain cups. This is a learning process for "the new me" and after twice dumping a cup of water on myself, I have visions of sticky coke all over me and the scooter. I know I will find a solution and was just sort wondering what Disney has in mind or if they haven't figured it out yet.

SBETigg
08-26-2018, 01:18 PM
We've been making a conscious effort to be more environmentally aware, and I bought a pack of stainless steel reusable straws. Love them! Not expensive and very handy, saves on plastic waste. Will carry one with me to use and wash and reuse when I go out. I would have no problem carrying my own straws to Disney or going without. If you need a lid, you can get one on request so I don't see that it will really be a big problem going forward.

Oh, and Kay, I'm really sorry to hear about your stroke. I'm glad you're doing well with recovery and getting back to what you enjoy. Best wishes.

magicofdisney
08-26-2018, 04:02 PM
I recently saw on Amazon, flexible silicone straws that come with a straw brush. I bet those would be super easy to travel with for use in places that ban straws. Like Sherri, I purchased stainless steel straws many years ago and use them exclusively at home. They can be tricky with hot liquids so I may also invest in the silicone straws just mentioned.

texas211
08-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Another one of those, its sounds good and seams easy, but contradictory actions by Disney.

They still sell tons of one time only use items (food packaging), balloons, and so forth. One could argue many of their souvenirs are one time use. :)

Heck, disney is still a one in a life type trip for many people, and you still have to get magic bands, hence making them disposable.

Disney4us2
08-27-2018, 07:11 AM
I always bring a refillable water bottle with me. I have it attached to my walker. You can put any drink in it. I use it for water or crystal light. I'm always at a quick service to get cups of ice water and just transfer it to my water bottle.

Speedy1998
08-27-2018, 01:03 PM
My family carries RTIC tumblers (we each have our own) in our back pack, and we just pour our drinks into those. The drink stays cold (or hot when we go in the winter) longer, and the plastic top keeps it from spilling.

TheDuckRocks
08-28-2018, 09:50 AM
Thanks everybody! I have decided to purchase a cup holder made for the scooter from Amazon and each trip I will buy a new travel mug with lid and handle. I just dumped another glass of water on myself again this morning and think this will be the answer for me. I wonder if that counts towards my 8 cups of water a day? :confused::blush:

MNNHFLTX
08-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Thanks everybody! I have decided to purchase a cup holder made for the scooter from Amazon and each trip I will buy a new travel mug with lid and handle. I just dumped another glass of water on myself again this morning and think this will be the answer for me. Sounds like a good plan, Kay, and sorry to hear about your stroke. My husband had two small strokes earlier this summer and it turned out lives upside-down for a while. Despite very extensive testing they were never able to determine the cause. Fortunately he bounced back fairly quickly and has returned to work. I'm a nurse and used to dealing with this stuff, but strokes are scary.

Cinderelley
08-31-2018, 11:50 PM
Thanks everybody! I have decided to purchase a cup holder made for the scooter from Amazon and each trip I will buy a new travel mug with lid and handle. I just dumped another glass of water on myself again this morning and think this will be the answer for me. I wonder if that counts towards my 8 cups of water a day? :confused::blush:

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a cup. (as if any of us need one )

1DisneyNut
09-01-2018, 09:15 AM
I hate and I mean hate the paper straws. They taste weird and have a strange texture that I can't stand. I guess we will have to add a pack of plastic straws to our WDW backpack that we carry to the parks.

HM_Fan
01-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Why not just carry a mug or similar and insulated container? Just dump and toss the paper cup.

I remember being little and they were using paper straws at WDW back as far as the late 70s early 80s. Hated them then, hate them now. Although now the paper technology for straws is a lot better, paper amd glue come apart when submerged for a while.

texas211
01-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Why not just carry a mug or similar and insulated container? Just dump and toss the paper cup.

I remember being little and they were using paper straws at WDW back as far as the late 70s early 80s. Hated them then, hate them now. Although now the paper technology for straws is a lot better, paper amd glue come apart when submerged for a while.

Yeah, they haven't come far enough. Besides, I like a soda lid. As far as dragging another cup around, I'm at my limit of gear I want to bring to the park.

1DisneyNut
01-09-2019, 10:21 AM
We were there a month ago and I remembered this thread. I packed some straws in our backpack. They came in handy at Flame Tree for lunch. We used our own plastic straws and enjoyed lunch. lol

ThanxForNoticin
01-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Also, remember when you buy a single soda/pop cup at many of the counter services, they come with a few refills for that cup - but you have to keep and use the same cup again. You don't want to be tossing it too quickly!

Our last trip a few weeks ago, we didn't see lids or straws out - but we learned there's like a secret stash by the cash registers if you ask. I understand the environmental issues with straws and lids - but lids are a safety item, preventing spills and slippery floors.

honeybear
01-11-2019, 10:32 AM
I do know they do not use plastic bags anymore. We were shopping at the outlet and went to the Disney Store. They offered us a bag to buy in order to carry out our items. Another person asked if they had plastic bags, they told them no. They only had the reusable bags for 1 dollar

texas211
01-12-2019, 05:12 PM
I do know they do not use plastic bags anymore. We were shopping at the outlet and went to the Disney Store. They offered us a bag to buy in order to carry out our items. Another person asked if they had plastic bags, they told them no. They only had the reusable bags for 1 dollar

No more bags at all, including the parks? Or do you mean just the last few mall stores?

1DisneyNut
01-13-2019, 05:42 PM
No more bags at all, including the parks? Or do you mean just the last few mall stores?

I am curious too because if I was to go in one of the stores and they didn't have bags but wanted me to buy a bad, they would be putting the stuff back on the shelves.

texas211
01-14-2019, 08:27 AM
I am curious too because if I was to go in one of the stores and they didn't have bags but wanted me to buy a bad, they would be putting the stuff back on the shelves.

Yeah, I'd end up saving money too. As I'm not hauling around stuff without a bag, and I can only back so much in my backpack. Unless a tree hugger wants to volunteer and help me out all day :)

Cinderelley
01-14-2019, 09:47 PM
You could always send it to the front of the park to pick up later, but I wonder how they will keep those orders separate without bags.

TheDuckRocks
01-15-2019, 09:28 AM
My daughter visited during the Christmas season and was happy to report that they were still putting purchases in bags. Never was told they "had" to buy a bag, although she did buy one to bring home to me. :thumbsup:

Gotta Love the TTA
01-15-2019, 10:02 PM
So it seems that the course of action for you is to bring your own straw, since this is a known issue.

TheDuckRocks
01-16-2019, 09:45 AM
So it seems that the course of action for you is to bring your own straw, since this is a known issue.

Up until 2 days ago I haven't thrown any water on myself in months. Thought I didn't need to be concerned. Then I did it again. Major. Got me, the dog, the papers I was working on, the floor and the chair.
Back on my packing list is the mug holder for the scooter, a travel mug with lid and straws.
I am blessed to be doing so much better. And I am prepared.

Cinderelley
01-17-2019, 12:08 AM
Up until 2 days ago I haven't thrown any water on myself in months. Thought I didn't need to be concerned. Then I did it again. Major. Got me, the dog, the papers I was working on, the floor and the chair.
Back on my packing list is the mug holder for the scooter, a travel mug with lid and straws.
I am blessed to be doing so much better. And I am prepared.

Murphy's Law. It is always better to be prepared and not need it.

TheDuckRocks
02-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Just back, took my mug and holder with me and didn't need them at all. All beverages I had came with lids and straws. And most important I didn't have any spillages! I am getting better! :high5::joy::woohoo: