PDA

View Full Version : First Skyliner Gondola arrives on property

Ed
06-24-2018, 04:24 PM
The first gondola car has arrived on property. Hopefully, despite the terrible job someone did of packaging and securing it to the truck, it survived.

VWL Mom
06-24-2018, 05:40 PM
I saw that yesterday and was wondering how they were fitting 8 people in there. Maybe just a test vehicle?

Giggy
06-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Just looking through pictures of it, looks exciting!

Am I reading right that it connects Epcot to Hollywood Studios? If so do we know if it does that as one continuous ride with stops at the resorts or do you change part way like if taking the Monorail from Magic Kingdom to Epcot? No reason to ask, just curious about how much we know so far. :mickey:

Figment!
06-25-2018, 12:53 PM
Am I reading right that it connects Epcot to Hollywood Studios? If so do we know if it does that as one continuous ride with stops at the resorts or do you change part way like if taking the Monorail from Magic Kingdom to Epcot?

It is not continuous between the two parks based on current plans.

There is a TTC-like station if Guests want to ride between Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios.

I'd need to look back at the plans, but I think it is the Caribbean Beach station will be the TTC-like "main hub" for the new system

baldburke
06-25-2018, 12:55 PM
I saw that yesterday and was wondering how they were fitting 8 people in there. Maybe just a test vehicle?

I was wondering the same thing. My guess was maybe capacity for six comfortably?

PopPhan
06-25-2018, 01:12 PM
Just looking through pictures of it, looks exciting!

Am I reading right that it connects Epcot to Hollywood Studios? If so do we know if it does that as one continuous ride with stops at the resorts or do you change part way like if taking the Monorail from Magic Kingdom to Epcot? No reason to ask, just curious about how much we know so far. :mickey:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Disney-Skyliner-Map.jpg

Independent runs for EPCOT/International Gateway and Disney's Hollywood Studios. Main hub at the south end of Caribbean Beach Resort.

Giggy
07-08-2018, 12:45 PM
It is not continuous between the two parks based on current plans.

There is a TTC-like station if Guests want to ride between Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios.

I'd need to look back at the plans, but I think it is the Caribbean Beach station will be the TTC-like "main hub" for the new system

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Disney-Skyliner-Map.jpg

Independent runs for EPCOT/International Gateway and Disney's Hollywood Studios. Main hub at the south end of Caribbean Beach Resort.

Great, thanks.

So looking at the map then: one Gondola goes from Epcot, through the new Riviera Resort (unless you change there as well?) and then stops Caribbean Beach. Then a second gondola goes from there to Hollywood Studios, maybe that one also continues to Pop Century and Art of Animation in the other direction?

magicofdisney
07-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Maybe it's 2 seats facing each window? Only way I can really see 8 people in there.

Speedy1998
07-09-2018, 12:49 PM

I have two thoughts on this. 1) maybe the perspective of the picture is making it look smaller than it really is (it would be nice if there was a person standing next to it). 2) Disney is coming up with 8, figuring a certain percentage of the guest riding will be children.

Speedy1998
07-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Just had another thought, will guest have to be seated, or will there be handrails like on the bus and monorail.

brad192
07-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Had a couple of thoughts myself...

Air Conditioning. I don't see a big, honkin' A/C unit on that thing, and with all those windows it's gonna get HOT!

Also, what about inclement weather? I bet those gondolas are gonna swing & sway in even a moderate breeze, not to mention what will happen when the inevitable thunderstorms roll in. Will they stop the gondolas? Not run the system if it looks like bad weather or high winds are forecast? I assume they've got contingency plans for all of this drawn up, but I'm still curious.

MNNHFLTX
07-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Had a couple of thoughts myself...

Air Conditioning. I don't see a big, honkin' A/C unit on that thing, and with all those windows it's gonna get HOT!
From everything I have read, there will be no AC, just vents for passive cooling. But I'm sure the windows have got to be reflective or solar filtering. We have those type of windows on the house here in Texas and it really does help with the heat.

Altair
07-09-2018, 07:05 PM
I'm sure the Reedy Creek Fire Department can't wait for this to become operational, they might be able to try a rescue over water.