05-11-2018, 06:02 PM
I was so excited to see this next week.

texas211
05-11-2018, 06:33 PM
I was so excited to see this next week.

Would have been a good story!

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-11-2018, 06:52 PM
I just saw the video ... that was crazy! I'm glad no one was hurt.

Goofy4TheWorld
05-11-2018, 09:26 PM
I just watched this video (https://vimeo.com/269268788) and Disney's apparent lack of a swift and immediate response to this fire blows my mind!

First, how is it possible that there was no FULL STOP to this dragon? While it did quit moving forward, it continued to sway its head up and down all while fiery chucks were falling off it and onto the pavement. The continued movement of the head made it far more difficult to reach with extinguishers and it created a greater chance of falling debris being slung into the crowd. How is it possible that there either wasn't an E-STOP button pressed on this dragon, or that the pressing of the E-STOP button by-design does not halt movement of the head????

Second, why on Earth was there not a swift swarm of CMs to heard people away from this float? In every video I watched I could not spot but ONE parade-line CM in the shot. It was entirely possible that this dragon could have EXPLODED given the fact that there was an out of control flame consuming the head of this dragon and one could easily expect that the fire might rupture the propane line going up the dragon's frame and exploding both that line and the tank that was almost certainly in the belly of the float (and 10 feet away from Guests who were not immediately herded away).

The video I linked started well after the fire was consuming the dragon and yet it wasn't until 2 minutes in that people starting to get pushed away (and I am not sure if CMs did that or people naturally starting scattering due to the fire extinguisher haze settling in). While I am sure there could be some strategy to them not doing anything that might result in a stampede, it looked to me like Disney was caught flat-footed. Given the obvious, and unique for Disney parades, danger of this particular float, I would have expected that Disney had this float surrounded by CMs who would have immediately stopped the dragon's movement and cleared the area of Guests. I would have thought it was something that was probably rehearsed as part of ongoing training.

It all just blows my mind!

texas211
05-11-2018, 11:42 PM
I just watched this video (https://vimeo.com/269268788) and Disney's apparent lack of a swift and immediate response to this fire blows my mind!

First, how is it possible that there was no FULL STOP to this dragon? While it did quit moving forward, it continued to sway its head up and down all while fiery chucks were falling off it and onto the pavement. The continued movement of the head made it far more difficult to reach with extinguishers and it created a greater chance of falling debris being slung into the crowd. How is it possible that there either wasn't an E-STOP button pressed on this dragon, or that the pressing of the E-STOP button by-design does not halt movement of the head????

Second, why on Earth was there not a swift swarm of CMs to heard people away from this float? In every video I watched I could not spot but ONE parade-line CM in the shot. It was entirely possible that this dragon could have EXPLODED given the fact that there was an out of control flame consuming the head of this dragon and one could easily expect that the fire might rupture the propane line going up the dragon's frame and exploding both that line and the tank that was almost certainly in the belly of the float (and 10 feet away from Guests who were not immediately herded away).

The video I linked started well after the fire was consuming the dragon and yet it wasn't until 2 minutes in that people starting to get pushed away (and I am not sure if CMs did that or people naturally starting scattering due to the fire extinguisher haze settling in). While I am sure there could be some strategy to them not doing anything that might result in a stampede, it looked to me like Disney was caught flat-footed. Given the obvious, and unique for Disney parades, danger of this particular float, I would have expected that Disney had this float surrounded by CMs who would have immediately stopped the dragon's movement and cleared the area of Guests. I would have thought it was something that was probably rehearsed as part of ongoing training.

It all just blows my mind!

It blows my mind that people are dumb enough to get close to film it..for no reason.

As far as the emergency stop.. Perhaps that failed too? Might have had multiple issues. You hear the CMs yelling, but folks are stupid and seem to get closer in some cases.

While it looks spectacular, I'm sure it wasn't that big of a deal.

Cinderelley
05-12-2018, 08:36 AM
In emergencies, some people keep it together. Others don't, no matter how much training they've had. I know nurses who can run a code in there sleep. Other nurses freak out every . . . single . . . time. It doesn't seem to matter how many years of experience they have. Plus, guests are kept quite a distance from the parade. A stampede was probably more dangerous than the actual fire, especially for the children.

VWL Mom
05-12-2018, 08:53 AM
It blows my mind that people are dumb enough to get close to film it..for no reason.

As far as the emergency stop.. Perhaps that failed too? Might have had multiple issues. You hear the CMs yelling, but folks are stupid and seem to get closer in some cases.

I was thinking the same thing, no one would have needed to ask me to leave. I wonder when the first smoke inhalation suit will be filed.

TheDuckRocks
05-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Just a side note - of what you can see, I believe the area right behind the dragon under that tree is where the handicap viewing area for parades is located.

deedee73
05-12-2018, 11:04 PM
Just a side note - of what you can see, I believe the area right behind the dragon under that tree is where the handicap viewing area for parades is located.You are correct - that is the handicapped viewing area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

deedee73
05-12-2018, 11:09 PM
We watched this parade 3 times on our March trip - 2x from the handicapped area as my mom had a scooter. It is interesting to note, that the dragon does not breathe fire until a bit further down this particular stretch due to the trees per CMs. I also wonder if they did not stop the head movement waiting for the head to come lower to the ground so to be able to extinguish it easier. I would also assume even if a cut off switch was employed for the fuel - the fuel remaining in the line would have to be used up before the flames would die out but since the fire spread to the dragon unit I am not surprised it took so long to extinguish. I am surprised there were so few CMs seen directing people or keeping people away from the scene.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tekneek
05-14-2018, 02:21 PM
I also wonder if they did not stop the head movement waiting for the head to come lower to the ground so to be able to extinguish it easier.

That would seem to be a crucial design flaw.

Glad nobody was injured. It seems like luck played a role in that.

PopPhan
05-14-2018, 03:04 PM
That would seem to be a crucial design flaw.

Glad nobody was injured. It seems like luck played a role in that.

True. You would definitely think they would have an 'emergency lock out' on it that would 1) shut off the gas, and 2) lower the head immediately if something like this should occur, and possibly 3) have a fire suppressant system installed on the float itself. Might have added a bit of weight to the float, but it should always be 'Safety First!!'

texas211
05-14-2018, 03:25 PM
True. You would definitely think they would have an 'emergency lock out' on it that would 1) shut off the gas, and 2) lower the head immediately if something like this should occur, and possibly 3) have a fire suppressant system installed on the float itself. Might have added a bit of weight to the float, but it should always be 'Safety First!!'

Or, just don't have it breath fire.. smoke or lights, maybe..

#1donaldfan
05-15-2018, 12:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing, no one would have needed to ask me to leave. I wonder when the first smoke inhalation suit will be filed.

That's what I wonder !! I know someone is complaining, saying the fire has ruined their vacation and their overly sensitive child has been forever changed ... I demand a refund .... hahaha .... seriously tho, some people will use any number of excuses to cash in .... Hopefully this does not preclude Disney for continuing their wonderful parades ....

texas211
05-15-2018, 04:20 PM
That's what I wonder !! I know someone is complaining, saying the fire has ruined their vacation and their overly sensitive child has been forever changed ... I demand a refund .... hahaha .... seriously tho, some people will use any number of excuses to cash in .... Hopefully this does not preclude Disney for continuing their wonderful parades ....

Isn't that the truth.

Cinderelley
05-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Saw the parade today. No dragon. :(.

joanna71985
05-15-2018, 10:23 PM
Saw the parade today. No dragon. :(.

And it will be that way for awhile