PDA

View Full Version : Rain, rain go away!! have you seen the forecast for Monday???

mom2morgan
05-10-2018, 08:44 PM
I've never really experienced rain in Orlando - just the afternoon thunderstorms. But Monday is saying 40-50mm?? I'm assuming that means it will rain ALL.DAY. We'll be at Universal that day. Will there be anything we can do in that kind of torrential downpour? Ore are we going to be stuck indoors? This is a bit of a downer, but I'm sure we can adust with some good advice. I'm more worried about Tuesday and keeping my eye on that, since it is our Discovery Cove day!

texas211
05-10-2018, 09:08 PM
40 or 50 mm? Hold on, let me google the conversion for that..

Well, I'll assume thats a lot. Hoping your cove day makes it! If not, drinking games! Kids can drink there favorite beverage. Adults, shots. Everytime you see a mickey at the resort.

texas211
05-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Wait, thats only 1 or 2 inches. You'll be fine assuming there is no lightning... Orlando is the lightning strike capital of the country.

Fangorn
05-10-2018, 11:54 PM
That's only 1.5 to 2 inches. A normal thunderstorm can do that in an hour and be done for the day.

Steve

Cinderelley
05-11-2018, 12:07 AM
I love the rain! It will cool off a bit and clear out the parks. :)

mom2morgan
05-11-2018, 09:06 AM
oh, that makes me feel much better. It was showing rain everyday, but only 5-10 mm, so when I saw the 40-50 I assumed that was a lot. I honestly have no idea what 2 inches of rain looks like! I don't really measure it when I'm not on vacation, LOL

faline
05-11-2018, 09:29 AM
The normal summer forecast for the greater Orlando area often shows a 50% chance of rain on a daily basis which usually means thunder showers somewhere in the area. Unfortunately, the forecasts I've been seeing for next week are not for thundershowers but for rain. When you see the percentage chances for rain, it does not mean it will rain exactly where you are but will likely rain somewhere in the general vicinity. I saw forecasts on two different stations this morning - one showed very high percentages for rain most days next week. The other stations put the odds at 50% for most every day next week. The app on my phone is currently showing Monday - 70% chance of rain; Tuesday - 80% chance of rain; Wednesday - 90% chance of rain and Thursday - 80% chance of rain. Be aware that forecasts change often - particularly as you get closer to the actual date. I've seen high percentages before only to have the actual rain end up either north or south of us - leaving us high and dry.

The weather will be the weather. There is nothing you can do about it except to continue on with your original plans as best as you can. If you hear thunder, your wisest course of action is to seek shelter indoors until the storm passes.

Cinderelley
05-11-2018, 10:03 AM
With those humidity percentages, I'm not sure I'll even bother trying to put my foundation on. I swear they must use a different formula for the desert than they do humid areas. Mine will just run off my face in high humidity even if I'm not sweating.

#1donaldfan
05-11-2018, 10:39 AM
Gosh, the Florida rain !! love it !! It cools the park and the masses exit for a bit !! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT !! Enjoy with no worries. When the rain hits, find a dry place and wait it out ..... normally not long tho !! Carry the ponchos !!

texas211
05-11-2018, 01:02 PM
With those humidity percentages, I'm not sure I'll even bother trying to put my foundation on. I swear they must use a different formula for the desert than they do humid areas. Mine will just run off my face in high humidity even if I'm not sweating.

Well that sounds scary.

VacationDisney
05-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Rain does clear out the parks, but I've never experienced the parks cooling off.

Simba's Mom
05-12-2018, 07:22 PM
I love the rain! It will cool off a bit and clear out the parks. :)

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to clear out the parks enough any more. I was at the MK today, and we had unpredicted rain most of the day. Yet, people stayed. So it was still pretty crowded. It's supposed to rain for the next several days, so maybe people figured they'd better go anyways, because it wasn't raining hard, just sprinkling.

magicofdisney
05-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Rain does clear out the parks, but I've never experienced the parks cooling off.
I agree. It's more like driving the humidity levels up so far you begin to wonder if it's still raining or you're simply sweating more.

mom2morgan
05-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Solid, drenching rain today. Trying to put lipstick on it, but not much of a vacation so far. Discovery Cove tomorrow and we look to be drowned...not quite relaxing on the beach with a book as I had imagined.

texas211
05-14-2018, 07:57 PM
Solid, drenching rain today. Trying to put lipstick on it, but not much of a vacation so far. Discovery Cove tomorrow and we look to be drowned...not quite relaxing on the beach with a book as I had imagined.

Why, so, serious...? As I think of the lipstick.

Well, good luck on tomorrow. If you could tank some of that water over to me. Watch out for Cinderelley, she's floating around there somewhere.

#1donaldfan
05-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to clear out the parks enough any more. I was at the MK today, and we had unpredicted rain most of the day. Yet, people stayed. So it was still pretty crowded. It's supposed to rain for the next several days, so maybe people figured they'd better go anyways, because it wasn't raining hard, just sprinkling.

Well that stinks !! Last June we had one day where the clouds opened up and released a torrent of rain on us. Storms to boot !! We had to walk in water ( Epcot ) up to our knees in some places. It did cool the temps from the mid 90's to the mid 80's ..... but after the storms moved out it warmed right back up .... what a fun day !!

MNNHFLTX
05-15-2018, 03:21 PM
We had 50 inches of rain (that's 1270mm, according to my converter) last September with Harvey here in Houston--40-50mm doesn't sound too bad! ;) Hope today was better for you at Discovery Cove! :sun:

texas211
05-15-2018, 04:19 PM
Was watching the weather channel. Stuck w/ lots of rain the rest of the week it said.

Hope you get some dry spots!

mom2morgan
05-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Doing well! Discovery Cove was blue skies long enough for me to get a bit of sunburn ;) and we were nearly done when the rains came. Seaworld today and no rain yet. All is good! Thanks for the well wishes :)

texas211
05-16-2018, 06:22 PM
Awesome!! Hope you had a great time.

Cinderelley
05-20-2018, 01:57 PM
I hope you had a great trip despite the rain. :)

texas211
05-20-2018, 02:14 PM
I hope you had a great trip despite the rain. :)

Well, did you? You back in AZ?

Cinderelley
05-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Yes, I'm back home. :(. It was a great trip! I am organizing my pics in Shutterfly right now and will probably start my trip report at work tonight. :)

mom2morgan
05-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Glad you had fun! Today is our last day :(

Cinderelley
05-22-2018, 10:52 PM
I hope you had a great last day. It is always such a bittersweet day.