PDA

View Full Version : Back to Disney - We leave in the morning!

tadcd
05-06-2018, 12:44 AM
We are heading back to Disney in the morning, last time we visited was just over three years ago. We will be staying at Jambo House AKL. We stayed here one night many years ago before having little ones. We usually stay at BC but thought the boys would enjoy the animal watching.

We are - DH who this morning sprained his ankle, OMG, so we are likely going to need to rent a scooter. I've never done this before and have been reading the boards to figure out where to get one/the process of renting one. DH wants a grown up experience to the vacation, so when we got a pin code I jokingly suggested club level and he latched on to the idea. He is pretty excited and wow, the Disney staff have been super helpful with all of our ADRs and Fast Passes.

7 year old son - he has a few memories of Disney, he has actually been 3 or 4 times. He struggles with anxiety so we have been preparing by watching videos of rides and having him contribute to the planning. He loves Cars and Hundred Acre Woods characters. He is excited to meet cast members from Africa working at the lodge and has a picture book about Africa for them to sign. He is also excited to pin trade.

4 year old son - visited once as an 11 month old so all new to him. He loves Cars and Minnie Mouse. He is excited to ride Dumbo and Barnstormer. He has Type I diabetes, diagnosed at 13 months and this is the first time we've taken an airplane since his diagnosis. We packed tons of supplies in a carry on and have his Doctor's letter ready for TSA.

Me - My first time at Disney was our honeymoon 12 years ago. I really enjoy resort hopping, boat rides, train rides, and watching the kids have fun. I'm nervous about DH's ankle, traveling with diabetes and possible meltdowns from my older son (his last time on an airplane was really stressful for him before we understood his challenges. The good news is that on his last trip he was afraid of all forms of fire which is no longer an issue. He is worried about meeting Snow White. There is less of Snow White than candles and images of fire on property, lol). I am excited about delicious treats on club level and my reward for making it after a busy couple of weeks (had new carpet installed throughout house last week, what was I thinking having this done right before our trip???) is a glass of African red wine and a view of the Savanna.

Alarm set for six am - assuming all goes well, plan to arrive around noon, pick up rental car, go directly to resort to relax, explore, use the pool if thunderstorms don't get in the way and order a scooter if DH's ankle is still a mess. Dinner will be treats at club level supplemented with Mara.

I better try to get some sleep!

Cinderelley
05-06-2018, 02:39 AM
It won't be long now before you'll be kickin' back and watching the animals. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your crew.

VWL Mom
05-06-2018, 07:18 AM
The AKL lounge sounds like a perfect reward after a rough week. Sit back, relax, and if you need to take things at a slow pace remember to do so. Enjoy!!!

faline
05-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Enjoy your trip - I'm sure it will all work out even if you need a scooter!

tadcd
05-06-2018, 08:00 PM
Thank you for the thoughtful responses, keeping me positive - still no decision on the scooter!

cer
05-23-2018, 02:10 PM
The good news is that on his last trip he was afraid of all forms of fire which is no longer an issue. He is worried about meeting Snow White. There is less of Snow White than candles and images of fire on property, lol).

Oh my goodness! I remember your family. You had asked the boards about where is there fire or fire references and there are sooo many! I am glad that he is no longer troubled by fire. I am looking forward to reading the rest of your trip report!

larrybob
06-25-2018, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the report!