PDA

View Full Version : Movies, Sports, or Shades?

buzznwoodysmom
02-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Hi all! We are currently booked for end of May at the Polynesian on rented DVC points. The friend that I rent points from only had enough points left for this user year to book 5 nights for me. She didn't want to borrow from next year, as they will need those points for themselves. Completely understandable!

I want to add an additional 3 nights onto the front of the trip. Looking for an inexpensive place to stay for those nights. We have stayed at all levels (almost every resort on property), but it's been years since we stayed at a value resort. It will be myself and 3 teens, 17, 17, 15.

This is what I am considering based on what is available with the military discount. Actually I already booked Sports, but am fine with changing if I need to.

All Star Sports $152 per night
All Star Moives $152 per night
Shades of Green $155 per night

I also priced the moderate resorts and Caribbean Beach is only $50 more per night. Its our favorite moderate, but with the construction I just don't know.

We have stayed at all 3, but not in many, many years. Looking for advice and recent experiences at these resorts. Or should I splurge to avoid the values? Other suggestions? Thanks!

Edit to ask, which of these resorts has had the most recent update in rooms?

magicofdisney
02-08-2018, 05:33 PM
I've not stayed at Shades, but a moderator on here says the breakfast bar there is NOT to be missed because of selection and value. Definitely something to consider since you have the option of staying there. Also, aren't their rooms much larger? That's greatly beneficial having 3 teenagers with you. :)

This is from her post regarding stays there.
You also can eat breakfast at the best kept secret of all times! Breakfast: Buffet (Includes: Pastries, breads, Eggs, made to order Omelets, made to order Waffles, Quesadilla, Biscuits and Gravy, Bacon, Sausage, and Fresh Fruit), juice/milk/coffee/soda and a whole bunch more.... $13.95 adults $6.95 kids 5-11, kids 4 and under free

texas211
02-08-2018, 07:56 PM
I'm always an advocate of moderates over values. Depending on the construction status, flip a coin on the value. Though I've never done teh shades. Based on the breakfast bar comment, i'd say that is the winner.

Imalismom
02-08-2018, 08:34 PM
Shades of green will always get my top vote, over any resort at WDW and I have stayed at all of them. I just booked my next Shades stay yesterday infact. They have done a lot of upgrades to their rooms. Stayed there last month if you have any specific questions.

Kairi_7378
02-08-2018, 08:56 PM
I think that I'd go with Shades of Green. It would give you the most space for the lowest cost. Also, if I were splitting a stay, I'd choose two resorts with more contrast in the theme. (CBR and the Poly are different but still "beach-y" to me.)

DisneyFan1979
02-09-2018, 01:13 PM
If you're staying the first part of your trip at the Poly, Shades makes for an easy transition. I agree with others that have suggested you'd like the large room size at Shades. Keep in mind though that the Shades bus is not a Disney bus. Accordingly, for MK you'll get dropped at the TTC rather than the front entrance. You can walk from Shades to the Poly and get on the monorail there, though I'm not sure how the walk will feel in the heat of May. It was a pleasant walk in January :)

buzznwoodysmom
02-09-2018, 05:21 PM
Sigh! I am all about Shades, but the kids want a "Disney resort".

We have stayed at Shades before, and the main thing we did not like at all was the bus situation, and that hasn't changed. Thought I could sway them with larger rooms, but they all looked at me like I had two heads! Lol. Apparently they don't care about room size.

Its only for three nights. The first night we will arrive late, next two nights will be longish park days, then check out early to head to the Poly. I guess a value will be sufficient.

Next question. Which of the values has had the most recent refurb? I know pop just had one, but it wasn't available for my nights. Otherwise it would have been our pick.

andmomlau
02-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Have never stayed at Shades or any of the All Stars, but I have friends and family who have stayed at both. Everyone loves Shades of Green...room size is great. The complaints I’ve heard about the All Stars is room size. With theee teens and yourself, I think you’d be very cramped! My vote is for SOG!

Cinderelley
02-11-2018, 04:16 AM
Sigh! I am all about Shades, but the kids want a "Disney resort".

We have stayed at Shades before, and the main thing we did not like at all was the bus situation, and that hasn't changed. Thought I could sway them with larger rooms, but they all looked at me like I had two heads! Lol. Apparently they don't care about room size.

Its only for three nights. The first night we will arrive late, next two nights will be longish park days, then check out early to head to the Poly. I guess a value will be sufficient.

Next question. Which of the values has had the most recent refurb? I know pop just had one, but it wasn't available for my nights. Otherwise it would have been our pick.

I didn't see Art of Animation on your list. Maybe you can stay there.

mydisneygirls
02-11-2018, 09:45 AM
I've never stayed at either, but I would choose Shades of Green for it's closeness to MK and the transportation center. I looked at pictures on the web and it looks like a beautiful place (nicer than the values in my opinion). And you will be staying at a Disney resort....just not the first 3 days!

brownie
02-11-2018, 03:27 PM
I'd stay at Shades of Green or a moderate.

buzznwoodysmom
02-11-2018, 04:41 PM
I didn't see Art of Animation on your list. Maybe you can stay there.

Thought about it, but its not available for my dates with the military discount. Our first choice value was pop, also not available.

buzznwoodysmom
02-11-2018, 04:43 PM
I've never stayed at either, but I would choose Shades of Green for it's closeness to MK and the transportation center. I looked at pictures on the web and it looks like a beautiful place (nicer than the values in my opinion). And you will be staying at a Disney resort....just not the first 3 days!

We won't be doing MK on the days we would be there.