PDA

View Full Version : One day in AK.

RunDMV
01-29-2018, 06:18 AM
Sitting at home (in Tampa) yesterday morning waiting for the rain to come. For grins and giggles, I looked at a fast pass for FOP. What?!?!?! Two were available for 4:00 pm.

I told my wife to get dressed; we're going to AK. I made a FP for Primeval Whirl and Dinosaur on the drive over.

We got there around 11:30. The sky was looking kinda grey. Would the rain hold out? First stop, Flame Tree Bar B Cue. We split a pork sandwich with onion rings, then headed off in the park.

We got to EE. My wife told me to hit the single rider line while she went to the restroom. The wait said 30 minutes. I was on and through with the ride in less than 15 minutes. Odd note: even though I was in the SR line, the guy in front of me and I were put in the same car.

We headed over to Dinoland. The line for Dinosaur was 20 minutes so we decided to ride. We got on in about 10 minutes.

We headed over to Primeval Whirl. Our FP was still 30 minutes away but the lines was only 20 minutes, so we decided to hop on. The ride was going well then SLAM! We came to a crashing stop. We didn't move for about 5 minutes when an announcement was made that the ride was in a malfunction and not to exit the vehicle. 10 minutes later, we were "evacuated" by ladder. We were provided a FP for any ride but FOP or Rivers of Light.

We decided to use our PW FP to finish the ride we started. Only the left side was operating now, so the line was slow. It was just as well because the sky opened up and a heavy downpour arrived. We stayed under cover of the cue for a few minutes, then went on the ride when the rain stopped.

We headed back to EE and used the FPs there.

We headed over to the Safari ride but not before we stopped to watch the monkeys and go on the Maharaj Jungle Trek. The Safari was good. Lots of animals were spotted. The truck was delayed several times for animals on the road.

It was getting close to our 4:00 pm FOP FP so we went to Pandora. I am not familiar at all with the Avatar movie so I am not sure what I was looking at, but it was impressive. We had to wait about 10 minutes for our FP time. The sky was getting dark again.

FOP was fantastic. I didn't care for the little vibrations on my stomach and back, but that is a small gripe. I was surprised how long the ride was. As fantastic as FOP is, I wouldn't stand in line for 120 minutes to ride it.

We had a 6:35 FP left, but when we exited FOP, it was lightly sprinkling. We decided to forgo the last FP and headed to the exit. The rain steadily grew. As soon as we got in the car, the bottom fell out and we drove all the way back to Tampa in heavy rain.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-29-2018, 08:41 AM
What a great "bonus" day! I had heard that the threat of heavy rain kept crowds lower than usual ... and that was excellent for you.

We spent a very rainy day at AK a couple of years ago, and outside of being really wet, it felt like we had the park to ourselves, it was a fun day.

faline
01-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Glad you were able to head on over to Animal Kingdom as soon as a fastpass opportunity opened up for you. I still haven't managed to get on that ride. The other day, the standby line was over 3 hours!!!

magicofdisney
01-29-2018, 11:38 AM
Glad you were able to head on over to Animal Kingdom as soon as a fastpass opportunity opened up for you. I still haven't managed to get on that ride. The other day, the standby line was over 3 hours!!!
I am holding out hope that you'll be on that ride sooner, rather than later. :)

joonyer
01-29-2018, 02:37 PM
What a great "bonus" day! I had heard that the threat of heavy rain kept crowds lower than usual ... and that was excellent for you.

We spent a very rainy day at AK a couple of years ago, and outside of being really wet, it felt like we had the park to ourselves, it was a fun day.

We've spent a couple of different days in the parks during a really wet rainy day. It was not cold so we stayed and enjoyed the sparse crowds, almost no waits on all but the most popular attractions. Even with ponchos, we got pretty wet. If it weren't for the chafing from wet clothes, I'd do it all the time! :thumbsup:

RunDMV
01-29-2018, 04:40 PM

I think it was a conspiracy. As much as I am vocal about my loathing of FP+, I think Disney just threw me a bone.

Cinderelley
04-06-2018, 12:57 PM
I haven't seen the Avatar movie either. It is good to know the area can still be enjoyed without seeing it.

texas211
04-07-2018, 03:07 PM
I haven't seen the Avatar movie either. It is good to know the area can still be enjoyed without seeing it.

You live in a strange nurse box.

Cinderelley
04-08-2018, 05:17 AM
You live in a strange nurse box.

You are just now noticing this? :P