PDA

View Full Version : More Details & First Look at Disney Skyliner Stations

Figment!
12-08-2017, 07:06 PM
The Walt Disney World resort has announced more details for the forthcoming Disney Skyliner transportation system and released concept art for 3 of the 4 stations:

... Select Disney Skyliner cabins will have iconic Disney characters incorporated into their exterior design to give the appearance that a Disney pal is riding along with guests, such as characters from the ‘Fab Five,’ figures from Disney attractions, fan favorites from movies, and more.

The design of the Disney Skyliner station at International Gateway at Epcot will be inspired by the park’s nearby European Pavilions, and will be covered with metal and glass canopies, hand-painted murals and ornamental steel structures that harken back to the early 18th century Art Nouveau style. Guests traveling to Epcot via the Disney Skyliner will be welcomed to the park with a rare birds-eye view of World Showcase.

The Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort station will be the hub of activity for Disney Skyliner. This station is inspired by the open air village marketplaces of the Caribbean and will showcase the nearby resort’s architectural detailing and color schemes. At this station, passengers will be able to transfer gondola routes to reach their destination, or are invited to sit and admire the waterfront resort setting.

The design style of the station at Disney’s Hollywood Studios will fit with that of the park’s main entrance and bus stations. Passengers traveling here from the Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort station can expect a new aerial perspective of the park’s iconic attractions, like The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will share a Disney Skyliner station that feels whimsical and contextual with both resorts. Upon departing the gondola station, Skyliner passengers will ascend over Hourglass Lake and enjoy a panoramic view of these two colorful resorts.

Finally, cabins will slow down at the Disney Skyliner turn-station along Buena Vista Drive, where guests can see the mechanical and aerial components that make up the Disney Skyliner.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-09-2017, 11:17 AM
It sure looks like it is going to be great!

andypooh
12-09-2017, 12:47 PM
so what exactly is connected to what? The studios and EPCOT will be connected? What else?

baldburke
12-11-2017, 01:14 PM
so what exactly is connected to what? The studios and EPCOT will be connected? What else?

I believe it will be Epcot, DHS, the "Epcot resorts" (BW/BC/YC) and CBR with the new DVC site, but don't quote me on that.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-11-2017, 05:07 PM
I believe it will be Epcot, DHS, the "Epcot resorts" (BW/BC/YC) and CBR with the new DVC site, but don't quote me on that.

I just did:D

andypooh
12-11-2017, 06:50 PM
Any idea when the project is expected to be completed?

ThanxForNoticin
12-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Actually, it sounds like the stops for this new transportation system will be EPCOT (Intl Gateway), DHS, Carib Beach, and AoA/Pop Century. Should be very interesting to see how this works out. If these cars only hold 4, maybe up to 8 people, it's not going to be a quick mover.

baldburke
12-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Actually, it sounds like the stops for this new transportation system will be EPCOT (Intl Gateway), DHS, Carib Beach, and AoA/Pop Century. Should be very interesting to see how this works out. If these cars only hold 4, maybe up to 8 people, it's not going to be a quick mover.

Maybe it's like the old Skyway where cars were 50 feet apart or so?

Fangorn
12-13-2017, 07:09 PM

Actually, it should move significantly more people much more quickly than the buses are capable of today. Cars are estimated to carry 10 passengers. Estimated capacity is 4500 people/hour, with the full trip from Epcot to Studios being about 10 -15 min. About 5-7 min from Caribbean Beach station to either park.

Steve

cer
12-14-2017, 11:06 AM
So...

Let's say we board at AoA and travel to CBR to the next hub because our ultimate destination is EPCOT. Do you stay in place or have to get off and reload? It would seem to me you would stay put, but do the CBR people in line have to wait on an empty car before they can get on?

I am just not sure of the logistics on how this will work. It seems like the cars will be full before they reach the pick up areas in the middle.

Or is it like a ski lift where you go to the first destination and unload because the cable goes in a loop and only links 2 destinations?

I find this whole thing fascinating and if you do have to unload at each destination and you are starting at AoA/Pop Century, it seems like it would take a long time to get to where you are going.

How do yall think this will work?

ThanxForNoticin
12-14-2017, 12:32 PM
Actually, it should move significantly more people much more quickly than the buses are capable of today. Cars are estimated to carry 10 passengers. Estimated capacity is 4500 people/hour, with the full trip from Epcot to Studios being about 10 -15 min. About 5-7 min from Caribbean Beach station to either park.

Steve

You're absolutely right. Even with perhaps 6-10 people per car (probably have to account for strollers and scooters), it would be a lot more efficient than the buses.