PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Dispensers for Toiletries Appearing at Walt Disney World Resort Hotels

Figment!
08-18-2017, 08:10 PM
Guests have begun to report that the Sample Size bottles of toiletries have begun to be replaced with fixed dispensers at Walt Disney World hotels.

This practice has begun to become more common in the Hotel Industry has a whole; however, it is not yet clear if this development is a trial, roll-out to select hotels, or a full roll-out to all Walt Disney World hotels.

texas211
08-18-2017, 09:45 PM
I haven't seen that at a hotel yet. But, that means I'll be bringing my own.

Thanks for the update.

mgmnut
08-19-2017, 04:14 AM
Seems like it would be a much cheaper feel with wall mounted soap and shampoo dispensers, more industrial that personal.

missymouseworld
08-19-2017, 07:20 AM
I saw a picture online of a 3 pump dispenser with H2o products (shampoo, conditioner, body wash) and it was in a shower at POR Riverside.

I don't think it will catch on once people start pumping all the product out into an empty bottle....

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-19-2017, 08:33 AM
Not a fan! I hate "sharing", so I really dislike this trend. Guess I'll be packing my own too.

VWL Mom
08-19-2017, 08:52 AM
While I understand what they're trying to do, and that other hotels cruise ships are going the same route, I think the design they're selected isn't the best. Probably those that dispense from the bottom would be a better route, I have the pump shampoo/conditioner in my shower and they're always clogging up. If you're having your room cleaned everyday that's no big deal but DVC cleaning once a week could lead to a gooey mess.

I do bring my own hair products anyway so now I'll just have to add bar soap to my list.

EDIT:
So my thinking was they were going this route to cut down on landfill, etc. Then I saw someone mention it was to cut down on use due to theft so I checked out Disney Soap on Ebay. Page after page of people selling Disney soap. Really people :rolleyes: smh

i'm grumpy
08-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Yuck!!! How dull and un-Disney like. Pretty soon they all will look like any old chain. :( Sis said the pens will be the next thing they stop providing.

texas211
08-19-2017, 12:52 PM
So glad I'm paying 200 or 300 bucks a night, or more.

As far as I've seen some "its not an economical thing since they can use as much as they want." Absolutely it is. Fewer people will use it, plus buying big bulk bags of soap to refill is much cheaper than individual anything.

Another reason, I'll be staying offsite. Sure if the Gaylord and Waldorf start using it (they are comparably priced to mod hotels or low deluxe) then Ill do they the same as bring my own. But I'm still getting better bang for my buck.

Simba's Mom
08-19-2017, 01:39 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind it. All the hotels in every National Park I've been in has these, and they're certainly not inexpensive to stay in. In the National Parks, they talk about this as part of their green initiative.

BIGDOG
08-19-2017, 02:56 PM
My only question is how will I be able to put that into my luggage without making a mess?

texas211
08-19-2017, 05:54 PM
First came the testing of optional daily room refresh (I'm sure it won't be optional at some point), now cheaping out on individual toiletries. Pretty soon, bring your own towels. They already cut out the alarm clock. If I wanted to stay at a time share, I would.

magicofdisney
08-19-2017, 06:39 PM
I saw a picture online of a 3 pump dispenser with H2o products (shampoo, conditioner, body wash) and it was in a shower at POR Riverside.

I don't think it will catch on once people start pumping all the product out into an empty bottle....

One of my first thoughts, also.

buzznwoodysmom
08-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Not a fan of this. Simply because I can just imagine how gross these dispensers may become over time.

Mendelson
08-20-2017, 10:16 AM
First came the testing of optional daily room refresh (I'm sure it won't be optional at some point), now cheaping out on individual toiletries. Pretty soon, bring your own towels. They already cut out the alarm clock. If I wanted to stay at a time share, I would.

Yeah but the thing is, Disney passes the savings on to YOU.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, none of this bothers me at all. Well, that's not entirely true - between work and Disney trips, in a year I collect enough bottles of hand lotion to last me all year, without needing to buy my own. That will change...

Not a fan of this. Simply because I can just imagine how gross these dispensers may become over time.

So, they will get as gross as every other surface in a hotel room? :-)

retiredfigment
08-20-2017, 12:27 PM
I always bring my own shampoo etc. anyway. My question, how do they keep someone from opening them and putting something in it. Yucch!

Mendelson
08-20-2017, 12:57 PM
I always bring my own shampoo etc. anyway. My question, how do they keep someone from opening them and putting something in it. Yucch!

I'm not sure I understand the repeated theme here that someone will doctor the products in some kind of devilish prank. I mean, what are the odds? Is it any less likely that under the old system mousekeeping would have "put something" in the little bottles? Or the people who work at the factory where they initially bottle them would put antifreeze or snot or whatever in them? Or in any one of hundreds of other instances where you have to rely on a human being coming before you to not do something awful to something you're going to use/consume?

I put my trust in the average disney visitor to not be a maniac.

texas211
08-20-2017, 01:06 PM

I don't. Kids, teenagers, lazy or crazy adults. Plus, just the idea. I try not to think about the other craziness left in the room, but the toiletries too? The crazy adults can't wait in line, not ram me w/ their strollers, etc. Besides, might not be something too crazy. But I can see if they come apart, or open up, someone will just put it together, regardless if they should have Disney come clean/fix it. Or resting their butt towel or whatever, on top of it.

Besides, my biggest complaint is just the cheap factor. I feel like I'm using a truck stop shower now, but paying a hefty price for it. They want to charge HOJO prices, then fine. Course, I won't stay there.

I think the adage, if it isn't broke, don't fix it, applies.

mgmnut
08-20-2017, 02:10 PM

I don't.

I don't either!

I like to think that I generally trust the average person, but this day and age I want a sanitized bathroom and a sealed bottle of toiletries. If the dispenser is accessible without a lock I want to use individual bottles, if the lock is broken I want a new dispenser or use individual bottles. We usually bring my own shampoo etc. anyways because we always do run out of the resort supplied toiletries, but this next trip I think I will just plan to use all my own anyways just in case. I'm not even sure if our resort has converted to dispensers yet so the subject may be mute in our case.

Although I agree the odds of someone tampering with the toiletries are probably pretty rare, especially in the quality controlled manufacturing plant or at the Disney Mousekeeping level, but I think there is still enough chance that there are mischievous enough people out there that would tamper with it just to do it. Imagine a bottle or Nair or another hair remover mixed with the shampoo??

A small lock on the dispenser will just keep honest people honest.

BrowncatP
08-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Thanks for giving me the idea of spitting in the containers, or dropping a few drops of soda to see if the color changes in the dispensers. Just kidding, but who knows what a person might do. I never use ketchup from the bottles at a restaurant after I saw someone stick their used fork in the bottle to get the ketchup out. After that, that was the end for me.

texas211
08-20-2017, 04:00 PM
Yeah, and I think that is the kind of stuff. Far less malicious, just more stupid human tricks.

Polynesian Dweller
08-20-2017, 04:35 PM

The container tops are locked in the tray and have to be opened by housekeeping in most settings. Hotelier here, keep in mind there are health regulations in place and those have to be met in order for those to be used. There are processes like changing bottles, pumps, cleaning procedures in place during room reset so the products are safe for the new incoming guests.

I first heard of these being used in very high end hotels at least 5-6 years ago. The idea is not new and Disney is far from the first. The high end hotels have worked on the usage and cleanliness issues. No hotel wants to risk bring the source of illness.

Also, this was started not to save money but to attract new younger clientele. Every year older guests stop coming and have to be replaced with younger ones. Eco tourists are one group who don't like all the bottles being thrown out. The other target group is millennials who want to use lots of shampoo etc and don't like the limitations of the small bottles. At best this will cost about the same or more likely a bit more.

Mendelson
08-20-2017, 04:41 PM
I don't eat out, ever, because have you seen most chefs.

I don't buy clothes because I think maybe the Macy's associate rubs them with itching powder (or worse).

I steadfastly refuse to buy a house, because who knows who might have dumped a pile of termites on the foundation during construction.

Being constantly wary, you see, is exhausting. :-)

Genie1953
08-20-2017, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure I understand the repeated theme here that someone will doctor the products in some kind of devilish prank. I mean, what are the odds? Is it any less likely that under the old system mousekeeping would have "put something" in the little bottles? Or the people who work at the factory where they initially bottle them would put antifreeze or snot or whatever in them? Or in any one of hundreds of other instances where you have to rely on a human being coming before you to not do something awful to something you're going to use/consume?

I read that the bottles are locked down so no one would be able to tamper with them.

texas211
08-20-2017, 05:20 PM
I hadn't heard at it being at too many high end. I prefer them, and haven't seen this. Hopefully they'll try it at the Poly and Grand Floridian and see how it goes. When we do stay onsite, we tend to enjoy Dixie Landings, and so I hate they are doing it there at all.

As far as Millenials and Eco tourists.. Well, I won't touch that one. But alas I suppose this is one more reason, that the Disney hotels are no longer for me, if this is the new trend.

As far as Macy's. reductio ad absurdum But to play, clothes are washed first. I do limit my time out, and selective of where I eat, and as you can see, I live in Tx and termites are a way of life here.

I just feel its a crock of cheapness. ECO whatever. You can always label things like that. But in reality, its cheaper. Like how flimsy water bottles are now (most, not all). Supposedly better for the environment. But in reality, I'm sure done b/c less bottle is cheaper.

mydisneygirls
09-08-2017, 09:55 AM

HAHA - that's what I thought too!

Cinderelley
10-07-2017, 03:13 AM
I don't eat out, ever, because have you seen most chefs.

I don't buy clothes because I think maybe the Macy's associate rubs them with itching powder (or worse).

I steadfastly refuse to buy a house, because who knows who might have dumped a pile of termites on the foundation during construction.

Being constantly wary, you see, is exhausting. :-)

Everybody has their "thing" that bugs them. This doesn't happen to be yours, but I'm sure you have one.
And face it, you've heard the stories coming out of fast food restaurants - burgers getting spit on, pizzas with "special" sauce, etc. It isn't like it never happens. If you've never heard them, I'll be more than happy to share some with you. :P

I don't really think these people are too concerned about someone being malicious on purpose, but humans are nasty creatures. What if some little kid wiped his booger on the bottom of the container? Someone mentioned a butt towel draped over it. (Do people really have a special towel for their butts?) What if a couple gets "frisky" in there? Hmm, maybe I shouldn't add any more thoughts to those who are already grossed out by it.

texas211
10-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Everybody has their "thing" that bugs them. This doesn't happen to be yours, but I'm sure you have one.
And face it, you've heard the stories coming out of fast food restaurants - burgers getting spit on, pizzas with "special" sauce, etc. It isn't like it never happens. If you've never heard them, I'll be more than happy to share some with you. :P

I don't really think these people are too concerned about someone being malicious on purpose, but humans are nasty creatures. What if some little kid wiped his booger on the bottom of the container? Someone mentioned a butt towel draped over it. (Do people really have a special towel for their butts?) What if a couple gets "frisky" in there? Hmm, maybe I shouldn't add any more thoughts to those who are already grossed out by it.

Yeah, you made it worse.. much worse.

Cinderelley
10-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Sorry. ER nurses know no boundaries :fresh:

texas211
10-08-2017, 11:06 AM
That does explain. Dealt with the type for many years..

NO limits :)

Yeah, just no excited about any aspect of this. I don't like community bottles in restaurants either. I've seen kids play with them, and i'm like,, yeap, nope...

baldburke
10-09-2017, 12:45 PM
I don't think we have to worry about "boogers." The human body is fairly resourceful and there are only a handful of "bugs" that people can't recover from. Hopefully the containers are controlled as noted, but hopefully no one is ingesting the products either.

I agree that there are a number of people, specifically millennials, that want eco-friendly travel and don't mind pumping their soap or shampoo from a dispenser (if they even take a shower).

I'll tell you what drives me crazy is people who think they are owed something because they go to a Disney resort. If you don't want to go then please stay home! People stealing soap and pens? Sure, maybe a pen or a bar of soap ends up in your bag, but enough to set up shop on eBay? People that leave their trash because, "It's Disney and they'll clean it up."

What is most disturbing is, whether intentional or not, people who a destructive on Disney's dime. Again, I don't if people think they do it because they think Disney overcharges or if it is just to test the limits. However if you wouldn't do it at your own home (jumping, climbing, pulling, picking) then why would you do it at Disney?

texas211
10-09-2017, 06:21 PM
I don't think we have to worry about "boogers." The human body is fairly resourceful and there are only a handful of "bugs" that people can't recover from. Hopefully the containers are controlled as noted, but hopefully no one is ingesting the products either.

I agree that there are a number of people, specifically millennials, that want eco-friendly travel and don't mind pumping their soap or shampoo from a dispenser (if they even take a shower).

I'll tell you what drives me crazy is people who think they are owed something because they go to a Disney resort. If you don't want to go then please stay home! People stealing soap and pens? Sure, maybe a pen or a bar of soap ends up in your bag, but enough to set up shop on eBay? People that leave their trash because, "It's Disney and they'll clean it up."

What is most disturbing is, whether intentional or not, people who a destructive on Disney's dime. Again, I don't if people think they do it because they think Disney overcharges or if it is just to test the limits. However if you wouldn't do it at your own home (jumping, climbing, pulling, picking) then why would you do it at Disney?

What do you mean by, leaving trash?

As far as tearing up the place. I agree. I see people trying to break off stuff, tear up landscaping, etc.

Cinderelley
10-10-2017, 01:28 AM

Yes, the human body is very resourceful. That doesn't mean I want somebody else's bodily functions on my body. You can pick your friends. You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

You would be surprised at what people think is ok and do at their own home. Maybe I'm jaded from my job, but I don't think the "if you don't do it at home" test really works for a large portion of the population. While I was an EMT and also as an ER nurse, there are a lot of days I wished I could just bathe in a giant tub of bleach, and it wasn't because of blood.

joonyer
10-10-2017, 08:02 PM
If a person is truly freaked out by other peoples' germs, bodily fluids, etc., then they wouldn't ever be staying at any hotel anywhere, individual bottles of shampoo, conditioner or lotion notwithstanding.
Even worse than a hotel room however is a theme park. The handrails in line queues, the seats on the attractions, (not to mention rest rooms and water fountains); they contain thousands of peoples sweat, snot and who knows what else (well we know what else, but there's no need to mention those). At least in hotel rooms there is a pretense of cleaning between you and the last guests to use the room.

Cinderelley
10-11-2017, 05:49 AM
If a person is truly freaked out by other peoples' germs, bodily fluids, etc., then they wouldn't ever be staying at any hotel anywhere, individual bottles of shampoo, conditioner or lotion notwithstanding.
Even worse than a hotel room however is a theme park. The handrails in line queues, the seats on the attractions, (not to mention rest rooms and water fountains); they contain thousands of peoples sweat, snot and who knows what else (well we know what else, but there's no need to mention those). At least in hotel rooms there is a pretense of cleaning between you and the last guests to use the room.

If you are referring to OCD people who are afraid of germs, yes they don't tend to go places. Some people on here have already stated they don't feel comfortable with it. They will just find other alternatives to staying in the hotels that are switching to the dispensers. There's hand sanitizers, wipes, etc that they can use in the parks.

As I said before, everyone has their own thing that bothers them. Apparently for some people, it is the fact that other people don't want to use a large dispenser instead of individual bottles. :fresh:

baldburke
10-11-2017, 12:50 PM
What do you mean by, leaving trash?

Haven't you ever seen someone at WDW drop trash just because they know CMs are required to pick it up. Sure, the same is true at movie theaters, the mall, where ever, that their employees will pick up trash and messes. It's just a feeling instead of a proven fact, but I just feel like people take advantage of the situation because it is Disney. "I paid $100+ for this park ticket? Let someone else clean up my trash then!"

texas211
10-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Haven't you ever seen someone at WDW drop trash just because they know CMs are required to pick it up. Sure, the same is true at movie theaters, the mall, where ever, that their employees will pick up trash and messes. It's just a feeling instead of a proven fact, but I just feel like people take advantage of the situation because it is Disney. "I paid $100+ for this park ticket? Let someone else clean up my trash then!"

I guess I hadn't noticed. I thought maybe you meant in the rooms, etc, and I was looking for clarification.

As far as trash in the parks. In the food court, eating areas, certainly. But I don't think much of that as it seems on par with any other public eating place (people leaving trays, kids being animals w/ food on the floor, etc) such as the ballpark, Burger King, mall food court, etc. I'm not saying you are wrong, I haven't seen it. But totally believe you are right.

But outside the area, no. But again, not surprising. People leave their.... strollers, all over the place. Stand wherever they want. I have noticed in the bathrooms, folks get crazy. I don't know if they are unaccustomed to indoor plumbing or what.