PDA

View Full Version : D23 Announcements UPDATED

DizneyFreak2002
07-15-2017, 03:45 AM
So today is the day... Disney is set to make some theme park announcements at D23... Here is a list of what I think they will announce and what they could announce but unknown if they will...

MK - I think Tron coaster and Speedway replacement will be announced, almost 100% certain... They could announce the Tomorowland make over, Stitch replacement, Moana coming to Adventureland, new entertainment stage/theater, more HoP info... but sure they wont...

Epcot - I think they will announce Guardians taking over UoE, Ratatoullie in France... They could announce Brazil as new country, new attraction in UK, the scheduled make over of the entrance and spine area of Futureworld... DVC resort attached to the park...

DHS - i am certain we get the Mickey ride taking over Great Movie Ride announcement... More Star Wars and Toy Story info... other than a Fantasmic update and theme park name change I dont think there is anything else to announce at the moment...

ANIMAL KINGDOM - Discuss the success of Pandora... could announce Dinoland USA make over or Zootopia coming to DAK... but i doubt it very much...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

DizneyFreak2002
07-15-2017, 03:49 AM
Oh yea... we can get official gondala announcements and maybe an announcement about the Star Wars hotel... more DVC updates on Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs... or the Key West room upgrades...

KODABEAR
07-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Interesting, thanks for your thoughts and updates:mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
07-15-2017, 02:11 PM
6:00 PM cannot come fast enough...

Tiggerlovr9000
07-15-2017, 02:52 PM
They say not liking change is a sign of old age. Well guess I am old then. I hate all the new rides being virtual reality a lot of the time. If I want to watch a movie I could stay home. Also can we have one year where nothing is under construction, just one. I also want Walts original rides to stay the same even if it's not PC. Ok rant over.

Ian
07-15-2017, 04:50 PM
They say not liking change is a sign of old age. Well guess I am old then. I hate all the new rides being virtual reality a lot of the time. If I want to watch a movie I could stay home. Also can we have one year where nothing is under construction, just one. I also want Walts original rides to stay the same even if it's not PC. Ok rant over.:ditto:

texas211
07-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Can I get an Amen here!!!

AMEN

VWL Mom
07-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Links below are to Disney Parks Blogs as they post

Star Wars Land (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/star-wars-galaxys-edge-announced-as-name-for-star-wars-lands-at-disney-parks/)

The official name for the new Star Wars Land:Galaxy's Edge
Anaheim will open before WDW

Toy Story Land (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/toy-story-land-to-open-at-walt-disney-world-resort-in-summer-2018/)

Expected to open Summer 2018

DHS Ride Change (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/first-mickey-themed-ride-through-attraction-mickey-and-minnies-runaway-railway-coming-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/)

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway will replace the Great Movie Ride
Ride through cartoons with Goofy as engineer
Aug 13, 2017 last day for GMR (wow)

EPCOT (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/guardians-of-the-galaxy-ratatouille-attractions-coming-to-epcot/)

Ratatouille Confirmed for France
New China Film in Circle vision
Guardians of the Galaxy confirmed
Mission Space ride update plus a TS restaurant (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/first-look-new-space-restaurant-to-offer-out-of-this-world-dining-experience-at-epcot/)

MK (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/tron-attraction-coming-to-magic-kingdom-park-at-walt-disney-world-resort/)

Tron Coaster confirmed/located next to Space Mountain (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/tron-attraction-coming-to-magic-kingdom-park-at-walt-disney-world-resort/)
Tomorrowland Speedway is staying
New Theater on Main Street for shows (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/first-look-new-theater-inspired-by-kansas-citys-willis-wood-theater-to-debut-at-walt-disney-world-resort/)

Resorts

Star Wars Hotel confirmed WDW (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/plans-unveiled-for-star-wars-inspired-themed-resort-at-walt-disney-world/)
Marvel Hotel in Disneyland Paris (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/disneyland-paris-brings-favorite-marvel-characters-to-disneys-hotel-new-york-the-art-of-marvel/)
DVC 15th Addition Rivera Resort

Transportation

Minnie Van will be an Uber type service at WDW
Gondolas are confirmed (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/disney-skyliner-new-minnie-vehicles-to-transport-guests-around-walt-disney-world-resort/)

DCL (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/disney-planning-not-two-but-three-new-ships/)

Announced 5th, 6th, and 7th ship
Adding new Beauty and the Beast show

DisneyLand (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/new-pixar-pier-to-bring-favorite-pixar-stories-to-life-at-disney-california-adventure-park-limited-time-pixar-fest-celebration-coming-throughout-disneyland-resort/)

Paradise Pier to become Pixar Pier
Pixar Fest coming to DCA
Paint the Night returning
CarsLand will have Halloween overlay
Spiderman and the Avengers coming to DCA (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/immersive-super-hero-experience-coming-to-disney-california-adventure-park/)

Looks like that's it

DizneyFreak2002
07-15-2017, 07:04 PM
yes!!!!!!!

DizneyFreak2002
07-15-2017, 07:13 PM
Woo hoo!!

AvonleaCF
07-15-2017, 07:45 PM
I am SO UPSET over losing my beloved Great Movie Ride. I was hopeful for one last ride before it closes, but I'm going this September so it will be closed by then. :( Otherwise, all these of these sound FANTASTIC (except Tron cause I don't do roller coasters, but it will keep lines shorter elsewhere!).

Figment!
07-15-2017, 08:13 PM
Here's the Press Release:

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek Announces Extraordinary Line-up of Experiences Coming to Disney Parks around the Globe

ANAHEIM, Calif. (July 15, 2017) – Today at D23 Expo 2017, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts announced an extraordinary line-up of brand new attractions and experiences coming to its parks and resorts around the world ...

In addition to the announcement that Fantasmic! will return to Disneyland Park tonight, two nights early in honor of the Expo, fans were treated to a glimpse of the new “Beauty and the Beast” musical production coming to the Disney Dream on Disney Cruise Line, currently in production in Toronto, and a special one-night-only medley of nostalgic entertainment numbers showcasing the heritage of Disney Parks.

“On the heels of the many new and incredibly popular experiences that just debuted this year, the best is yet to come. We have ambitious plans for our parks and resorts around the world,” said Bob Chapek, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “We’re investing in the guest experience like never before, and we’re doing it all in way that is only possible at Disney!”

From new lodging and transportation options that make getting around more fun, to original storytelling and immersive experiences based on guests’ favorites, Disney continues to provide unparalleled vacation destinations for guests across the globe in even more exciting ways than ever before.

Immersive Theme Park Experiences and Attractions

An Unprecedented First Look at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge

Fans were elated to hear their Star Wars stories will come to life in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the newly announced name for the Star Wars-themed lands. Chapek shared exciting new details and a glimpse inside the two anchor attractions, including one that puts guests right in the middle of a battle between the First Order and the Resistance where guests will feel like they are inside

a hangar bay on a Star Destroyer. Guests will also have the chance to fly the Millennium Falcon, where each guest is critical to the mission’s success. Chapek also revealed many characters that guests will meet, including BB-8, Chewbacca, Rex and Kylo Ren. Representing the largest single-themed land expansion at 14 acres each, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will open in 2019, with the first land debuting at Disneyland Park in Anaheim, then at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Orlando.

Timeless Transformation of Epcot Revealed

Looking ahead to the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney World, there are grand plans to complete the transformation that started with the debut of New Fantasyland in 2014. Chapek announced exciting plans across Epcot to realize the original vision of the park while making it more timeless and relevant than ever before. Patterned after the number one family attraction at Disneyland Paris, Ratatouille will be added in an all-new space in the France pavilion at World Showcase.4263

Epcot will also see the addition of a brand new E-ticket attraction based on the rockin’ and action-packed world of Guardians of the Galaxy, the next step in how guests can encounter these characters at Walt Disney World Resort. In Future World, a new Green Mission at Mission: SPACE will take guests on a stunning tour around the Earth, and an updated Orange Mission will make the trip to Mars even more spectacular. Adjacent to Mission: Space will be a new restaurant that will invite guests to travel high above the earth for an unforgettable dining experience.4262

More Thrills than Ever Planned for Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom

Disney remains at the cutting edge of deeply immersive, creative storytelling that draws guests into new worlds, and it is a legacy that lives on in every new Disney Parks experience. The first-ever Mickey-themed ride-through attraction, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, will come to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. With a new original story and lovable attraction theme song, this new state-of-the-art ride-through attraction will take guests on a journey inside the wacky and unpredictable world of Disney Channel’s Emmy Award-winning “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts using new technologies that transform the flat cartoon world into an incredible dimensional experience.

Chapek also announced that the highest rated attraction at Shanghai Disneyland is coming to Walt Disney World Resort. A thrilling, Tron-themed attraction will be added in a new area near Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom. 4261

Additionally, a new live entertainment theater coming to Main Street, U.S.A., based on the iconic Willis Theater in 1920s Kansas City, will bring world-class entertainment to the world’s most popular park.4264

Pixar Fun at the Happiest Place on Earth

In addition to announcing the summer 2018 opening of Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Chapek was joined by Chief Creative Officer of Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios John Lasseter to unveil plans for Pixar Pier at Disney California Adventure, where the pier will take on a brand new look as more favorite Pixar characters and stories come to life, from The Incredibles, to Inside Out to even more Toy Story. Chapek also announced there is more Pixar in store during Pixar Fest at Disneyland Resort. Starting in 2018, this limited-time offering will include a new fireworks spectacular as well as special characters and entertainment moments.4265

As part of the celebration, the Pixar Play Parade will return to Disneyland Resort – this time at

Disneyland Park – and the fan favorite Paint the Night Parade will move to Disney California Adventure, one of Disney’s longest parade routes.

Disney Cruise Line to Double the Size of its Fleet by 2023

Chapek surprised the crowd by announcing that Disney Cruise Line will add one more ship in its expansion to take family cruise vacations to a whole new level. Joining the other two new ships that were announced just last year, all three ships will be powered by one of the cleanest-burning fuels available, liquefied natural gas. When all three ships are completed by 2023, Disney Cruise Line will have nearly doubled the size of the fleet.

Immersive Hotel Concepts

Among the announcements were projects that infuse even more exciting experiences for resort hotel guests in ways that are only possible at Disney. To the delight of fans, Chapek confirmed ambitious plans to create the most experiential concept ever in an immersive Star Wars-themed hotel at Walt Disney World Resort. Dedicated entirely to the galaxy of Star Wars, it will be a one-of-a-kind experience where a luxury resort meets a multi-day adventure in a galaxy far, far away.

Adding to the immersive resort hotel slate, Disney’s Hotel New York – The Art of Marvel at Disneyland Paris will transport guests to the action-packed world of Super Heroes, including Iron Man, The Avengers, Spider-Man and more. Guests will be able to explore the Marvel Universe through its comic art, films, Super Hero costumes and more, displayed in the style of a contemporary art gallery.

Leading up to the July 17 opening of Copper Creek Villas & Cabins, Chapek also announced the proposed 15th Disney Vacation Club property, Disney Riviera Resort, coming to Walt Disney World Resort near Epcot.

Seamless Transportation Options

Completing the immersion so guests never have to leave the story while on a Disney vacation, Chapek announced plans that will make getting around Walt Disney World Resort even more fun. An all-new Minnie Van service will provide a point-to-point transportation service in a way that only Disney can do, giving guests an even more seamless resort vacation from start to finish.

Additionally, a whole new transportation system called Disney Skyliner will give guests a birds-eye view of Walt Disney World Resort. This brand new system will connect Disney’s Art of Animation, Pop Century and Caribbean Beach resorts, as well as the proposed new Disney Riviera Resort, with Disney’s Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway at Epcot.

Honoring the Heritage of Disney Parks

In a memorable tribute to the legacy of beloved attractions, entertainment and characters, fans enjoyed a special one-time-only performance of entertainment numbers from Disney Parks

through the years. Following the return of the Main Street Electrical Parade, Chapek hinted there are even more fan favorites in store from Disney Parks’ storied past.

To make way for the expansion, the Great Movie Ride and Ellen's Energy Adventure are currently scheduled to close August 13, 2017.

The new theater at the Magic Kingdom is expected to be part of the reclamation of the Main Street By-Pass area. It appears from the concept art and general review of available land, that the new theater will be built along the current by-pass presumably after additional themeing has been added to the area to permanently make it part of the Main Street USA area.

The new space restaurant is expected to be built on a small lot of land between Mission: Space and Test Track.

The new Disney Vacation Club Resort (Disney Riviera Resort) is expected to be built on the recently razed villages of Disney's Caribbean Beach resort (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?214422-New-Building-Planned-for-at-Disney-s-Caribbean-Beach-Demolition-Underway-On-New-Site) due to the description of it being on the new Disney Skyliner loop.

Dulcee
07-15-2017, 08:13 PM
Lots of exciting stuff but I am bummed the Brazil rumor didn't pan out.

DizneyFreak2002
07-15-2017, 08:15 PM
It should still be coming... i understand it was a last minute cut... same as the Tron Speedway..

DizneyFreak2002
07-15-2017, 08:16 PM
China's new movie was a surprise announcement... let's welcome Mulan as the new host!!! Yes I am serious...

texas211
07-15-2017, 08:36 PM
Some things are really exciting, some, not so much.

Sounds like a lot of reuse. The Millenium falcon sounds a lot like mission space..

If they reuse any other technologies, hopefully no new disco Yetis :)

Stu29573
07-15-2017, 08:55 PM
My takeaway at this point is that there is a lot of hub-bub for not much payoff ride-wise. I don't like thrill rides, so Disney might be moving away from me in the attraction area. I'll wait and see, but I'm not thrilled right now...

Fusillejerry
07-15-2017, 09:46 PM
I'm most excited about Tron and the day when Hollywood Studios starts to resemble a functioning park again. That said, I'm depressed that I've seen the last of stupid Judy and GMR and that edutainment is dead.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

NickD100
07-15-2017, 10:26 PM
Yeah, some of the things going on are going to be bittersweet. I don't like change all that much. But at the same time, Disney needed to do this. They have a big punch going. They needed to do this. And I hope they have a few smaller punches that we don't yet know about too.
I'm excited about Epcot the most. Guardians. Ratatouille.
And Tron at MK will be a pretty sweet addition :thumbsup:
I'm on board! Just light the fire and get it all done sooner than later. Let's go :number1:
Yes, I know...patience, grasshopper :mickey:

Pixar Pier though :confused: weird.

PopPhan
07-15-2017, 11:14 PM
I don't know why, but I thought they would announce the new name for Disney's Hollywood Studios at this event. Is the name still changing?

Stu29573
07-15-2017, 11:52 PM
How about "Disney's Islands of Adventure?"

DizneyFreak2002
07-15-2017, 11:55 PM
I don't know why, but I thought they would announce the new name for Disney's Hollywood Studios at this event. Is the name still changing?
As far as I know, yes... Could be they are waiting until the remake of the park is done and christen the park with its new name...

DizneyFreak2002
07-16-2017, 12:13 AM
I know they didnt go into any detail about Guardians but as i understand the ride tech will be similar to Gringotts...

DizneyFreak2002
07-16-2017, 12:16 AM
Last day for UoE is also supposed to be August 13...

Dulcee
07-16-2017, 07:04 AM
We love the plans that have come out for the Mickey ride. Our son (3) adored those cartoons. We could barely get him to turn the classic Mickey channel off on our last trip.

acetate
07-16-2017, 07:17 AM
No news on the Imagination Pavillion or Wonders of Life or Inoventions?

Dulcee
07-16-2017, 07:39 AM
I'm a little surprised at some of the naysayers honestly. The France update and addition of Mickey ride are not thrill rides. The update to Mission Space (which may actually warrant me riding again) and restaurant along with he theater at Magic Kingdom sounds like a great addition! And the new transportation updates along with the Star Wars hotel sound like they will be very much needed for the updates to Hollywood Studios. For Disney World at least I think things were more balanced to the not thrill ride side.

Dulcee
07-16-2017, 07:40 AM
I would love to see Mulan as host in China! She's the favorite "Princess" in this house. Her and Mushu don't get nearly enough love in the parks!

texas211
07-16-2017, 08:30 AM
I'm a little surprised at some of the naysayers honestly. The France update and addition of Mickey ride are not thrill rides. The update to Mission Space (which may actually warrant me riding again) and restaurant along with he theater at Magic Kingdom sounds like a great addition! And the new transportation updates along with the Star Wars hotel sound like they will be very much needed for the updates to Hollywood Studios. For Disney World at least I think things were more balanced to the not thrill ride side.

I think there are tings to be excited about, France (let's face it, that is currently just a napping space), MI (eh, okay, but it sounds like we'll get a new flavor of this in Star Wars land).

However, I think many of us see the parks not just changing attractions, but fundamentally changing. B/c of this, and seeing this news, along with other changes, we are really looking at several Non WDW trips. Again though, I don't think any thinks everything is just horrible, but a lot of what is going on is the fundamental nature of the parks is changing which to me, limits how often I'll come back. Perhaps their numbers show, focus on getting more 1x or 2x visits, and don't really need to worry about the multi-repeat folks. I don't know.

I also think part of it is, those of us that are adults, (not the adults of the future) don't really accept a lot of these concepts (Guardians, Galaxy, etc) to be associated with Disney so to me the parks are less and less Disney to me (perhaps still Disney quality) but just not that nostalgic connection. By that, as kids we went to Universal, but as an adult I don't have that nostalgic connection, and okay with visiting Universal from time to time. Disney has connections though. Growing up w/ iconic rides like POTC, Thunder Mountain, or the ideas of EPCOT, then I want more of that. That craving, is what drives me back. I'm not saying there can't be change. I love 7 dwarfs, TSM, TT, etc. However, I don't want to fundamentally change my experience. Avatar land holds zero appeal. I'm sure it is well done, but Avatar the concept, does not connect me to a Disney World experience in my mind.

So I see these changes as often cool. However, as a larger farewell to the Disney that I associate with as being WDW.

Ok, enough ranting guys. Sorry. But, Ratatouille. Love it. The move, not the dish.

jennsky
07-16-2017, 08:33 AM
I am thrilled with all of this news! I'm especially excited for Tron because it will add some more pizzazz to Tomorrowland. Think how beautiful that will look at nighttime!! And for those people who were sad from the rumors that the Speedway might be going away, they will be pleasantly surprised to learn that's NOT the case. The Tron ride will be in a whole new section of the land. I've got goosebumps!!

If I may say though, I am sad that they are changing Ellen's Energy Adventure into Guardians. While I think the Guardians ride will be great, and while I think Ellen's Energy Adventure desperately needs updating, I'm just sad that Future World isn't so future-y (word?!) anymore. How does Guardians of the Galaxy fit in there? I thought they were going to bring back the "greatness" of Epcot, but, um, is that happening? Mission:Space at least is "science-y". Lol! And the TS restaurant they are going to build next to Mission:Space seems more relevant than dropping Guardians in Future World.

All the rest of the announcements are fantastic. The Star Wars hotel sounds like a zillion dollar idea. I think they just invented a money tree because people will pay through the nose to stay there.

Stu29573
07-16-2017, 09:42 AM
I guess the era of the imaginative dark ride is completely over. That's very sad to me. I have nothing against any of these announcements (well, I'm a little bummed about The Great Movie Ride), but it just seems like roller coasters and simulators for everyone!!! Yeah...yawn. I'm sorry but I just feel that even the best themed coaster is still just a coaster, and a simulator is a copout. I'm just old school (read "old and grumpy") I guess. Oh well, I'm not their target demographic, I'm sure. (although I have taken all the kids and grandkids to WDW, so I DO spend a fair amount of coin there.) Oh well...

BrerGnat
07-16-2017, 12:35 PM
I guess the era of the imaginative dark ride is completely over. That's very sad to me. I have nothing against any of these announcements (well, I'm a little bummed about The Great Movie Ride), but it just seems like roller coasters and simulators for everyone!!! Yeah...yawn. I'm sorry but I just feel that even the best themed coaster is still just a coaster, and a simulator is a copout. I'm just old school (read "old and grumpy") I guess. Oh well, I'm not their target demographic, I'm sure. (although I have taken all the kids and grandkids to WDW, so I DO spend a fair amount of coin there.) Oh well...
The Mickey Ride will be a dark ride. No simulators.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Stu29573
07-16-2017, 01:27 PM
The Mickey Ride will be a dark ride. No simulators.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I hope so, but the name sounds a lot like a coaster to me. Hopefully not...

Fusillejerry
07-16-2017, 01:50 PM
I didn't get the impression it was a coaster, but a more slow moving ride system with screens, but not screens? The description was rather vague.

DizneyFreak2002
07-16-2017, 01:52 PM
It is not a coaster... it is supposed to be a trackless system...

DizneyFreak2002
07-16-2017, 01:52 PM
I didn't get the impression it was a coaster, but a more slow moving ride system with screens, but not screens? The description was rather vague.
Supposed to be combo of screens and sets... SUPPOSED to be...

Stu29573
07-16-2017, 02:15 PM
No coaster= good.
Screens= ick... but maybe ok...
Have to wait and see!

JanetMegan
07-16-2017, 03:12 PM
Had to jump in here and make a couple comments.

It's great to have new and exciting things coming. I mean don't get me wrong the very nostalgic Disney little in me will miss UoE and even GMR but last trip I rode UoE knowing it was probably the last time. Mammals are getting hairier...

I like how well rounded all of these announcements seemed to me. Ride news, hotel news, restaurant news, transportation news. It's like one big shot in the arm for WDW even if it is a few years away.

I am a little surprised they are going ahead and closing GMR before at least something else is open over at the Studios-talk about not much going on over there right now. Dead zone.

Sounds like I need to at least try to watch Tron, Avatar and Guardians of the Galaxy.

texas211
07-16-2017, 04:54 PM
I would love to see Mulan as host in China! She's the favorite "Princess" in this house. Her and Mushu don't get nearly enough love in the parks!

That an add chairs to the theater.. Who wants to stand for any movies..

disneynarula
07-17-2017, 05:39 AM
One of the reasons I choose Disney over Universal is because of the ability for us to go on 90% of the rides as a family. Wasn't that Walt's vision to begin with? I like the iconic rides and so does my family. That is what makes Disney for me.

I love the idea of the addition of Star Wars Land. Being the mother of two boys and two girls I am excited that Disney finally brought something on board that will appeal to my boys. However, I miss the original MgM/Hollywood. When it first opened it was my favorite park. I loved the original backstage tour. (Remember the giant bees in front of the blue screen) I miss the Monster Sound Show. Now it seems like they are trying to compete with IoA. In my mind GMR was "the" ride that represented MGM/Hollywood.Now that the GMR is closing I am struggling to decide what to do with the little ones when everyone else is on Rock and Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Star Tours, etc. I guess there are some shows that they can watch. However, for now there is only ONE ride for shorter guests. I feel like they should have kept the GMR open until Pixar was completed. I don't understand the need to close yet another attraction until they open something new.

I understand that Epcot is supposed to evolve. However, instead of that they are just marketing their newly acquired "merchandise". Marvel at Epcot, really? I loved that Epcot had it's own unique characters. I love Frozen, but it belongs at the Magic Kingdom, not Epcot. IMHO Epcot went downhill as soon as they changed the original Figment ride. I think that the new dark ride in France seems fun. but that's because there wasn't really an attraction there to begin with. Why does it have to be based on a movie? Why didn't they ever consider a ride that was some sort of dark ride through the streets of Paris? I think the changes in Epcot are more of a reflection in a change in the "kids today". I thought the Universe of Energy taught a great lesson about conservation and non-renewable resources. However, I guess most kids today think someone else will save the planet for them. Or perhaps there's an "app" for that? I just hope it doesn't crash once a week like My Disney Experience. I am sad that this generations of Imagineers can't come up with their own ideas.

I am so glad the Speedway is safe in Magic Kingdom. Phew! I like a lot of the updates in the MK. Love the Little Mermaid ride. I am glad that for the most park they keep the iconic attractions and add on instead of take away for the most part. I can understand the appeal of Winnie the Pooh over Mr. Toad. I do miss Snow Whites Scary Adventure but as long as they don't touch It's A Small World I think I can forgive them.

I know it sounds insane but I was so disappointed in these updates I almost regretted booking a trip. That and the hassle of trying to plan ADRs and Fastpass+ for 10 people has put me over the edge.
I spent less time planning our shore activities for our Mediterranean Cruise. (That I booked less than 180 days out and was still able to eat a decent dinner)

I am certain that this trip to Disney will be my last for awhile. I want to see the new Star Wars land but don't plan on visiting until it has been open for at least a year. We only go every three years or so anyway but this time it may be more than three years before I go again.

Maybe this is what Disney wants? To eliminate an entire generation of fans? I know it's not just me. Is this what it's like to get old?

PopPhan
07-17-2017, 07:53 AM
I am a little surprised they are going ahead and closing GMR before at least something else is open over at the Studios-talk about not much going on over there right now. Dead zone.

I agree whole-heartedly with this statement. When I get there after Thanksgiving, there won't be enough in this park to last half a day. I may only go one afternoon/evening to try to get in a showing of Fantasmic!

JanetMegan
07-17-2017, 09:17 AM
I agree whole-heartedly with this statement. When I get there after Thanksgiving, there won't be enough in this park to last half a day. I may only go one afternoon/evening to try to get in a showing of Fantasmic!

I was planning my Sept FP this weekend and I think we'll just hit it right at 9am one day and ride RnRc, FP ToT, TS and STours and leave. 2-3 hrs tops.

mgmnut
07-17-2017, 11:00 AM
Although I also have great nostalgia for the old Dark Rides and miss most of the classics that are now no more, I am still pretty excited to see so much being planned right now. As a kid back in the early 80's going to Epcot was like going to a giant Science Camp and I loved it, couldn't get enough! I can see how some are strongly opposed to the recent changes and introducing more movie themed attractions to their old Epcot Center

I definitely agree with what everyone is saying about the GMR going down before more attractions are up and running at DHS. We are going in Sept and I would have loved to ride it one or two more times before it was closed. I have very fond memories of riding GMR on a big family trip back in 2004. It was with my sister, her husband, my 3 nephews, my wife, our two small children, my mom and my stepdad. I just always recalled how much my stepdad enjoyed that attraction. My Stepdad passed away a few years later so I couldn't help but think of him every time would ride GMR since. Sadly a couple years ago we suddenly lost my Mom, and my sister just passed unexpectedly last year at 49 y/o. It would have been nice to take 1 last ride just to remember a truly great trip one more time.

With mixed feelings of course I did like the idea of Mickey getting his own ride. It sounds to me like its going to be a slow moving ride through various cartoon scenes with flipping and changing multi level screens to give an effect similar to 3D. This all sounded good until I saw that they are going to use the new shorts animation instead of the classic Mickey and Minnie style Animation. I know this new animation is popular with little kids right now, I am just not familiar with it as my kids are now 19. I really hope they find a way to still throw some classic Mickey in as well.

Dulcee
07-17-2017, 11:11 AM
This all sounded good until I saw that they are going to use the new shorts animation instead of the classic Mickey and Minnie style Animation. I know this new animation is popular with little kids right now, I am just not familiar with it as my kids are now 19. I really hope they find a way to still throw some classic Mickey in as well.

I will say my 3 year old LOVES the new short animations. He watched this channel nonstop when we were on our trip last month and has continued his love affair with it at home. My husband is also a pretty big fan now.

cer
07-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Y'all - I am excited about the new live theater. I read it will be "located just behind Main Street and will be accessed via the new walkway between The Plaza Restaurant and the Tomorrowland Terrace. This new theater will be similar in style to the Hyperion Theater at Disney California Adventure."

What a great addition to MK! Can't wait!

DizneyFreak2002
07-17-2017, 11:44 AM
Y'all - I am excited about the new live theater. I read it will be "located just behind Main Street and will be accessed via the new walkway between The Plaza Restaurant and the Tomorrowland Terrace. This new theater will be similar in style to the Hyperion Theater at Disney California Adventure."

What a great addition to MK! Can't wait!
Yes it will be off the bypass...

Arielfan98
07-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Overall, I am generally excited about these changes! Everything at WDW is susceptible to change and I look forward to new family favorites.

buzznwoodysmom
07-17-2017, 05:28 PM
This household is pretty excited about the new announcements. My only complaint is that I wish they could have provided projected years for these things to open.

DizneyFreak2002
07-17-2017, 05:34 PM
This household is pretty excited about the new announcements. My only complaint is that I wish they could have provided projected years for these things to open.
Mickey ride by 2020.... Tron coaster by 2021... Ratatouille by 2020 i believe... not sure about guardians.. may be 2021...

baldburke
07-17-2017, 07:06 PM

Brazil rumor? For a park?

baldburke
07-17-2017, 07:08 PM
Last day for UoE is also supposed to be August 13...

That's quick!

baldburke
07-17-2017, 07:11 PM

I guess that gives us reason to tune in to next year's D23? This slate will be hard to top in the next couple years!

baldburke
07-17-2017, 07:15 PM
So who's got the momentum now? This will be tough for Universal to top! Now if only we could get FP+ 2.0 (or is it 3.0?).

DizneyFreak2002
07-17-2017, 07:15 PM
Brazil rumor? For a park?

Brazil is due to become a new country in World Showcase... Was going to be announced at D23 but was cut for an unknown reason...

DizneyFreak2002
07-17-2017, 07:17 PM
So who's got the momentum now? This will be tough for Universal to top! Now if only we could get FP+ 2.0 (or is it 3.0?).

Won't be tough for Universal to top... They just need to sit back and let Disney win this round... Universal will have announcements coming... Some good stuff too, unlike, say that Jimmy Fallon garbage....

And really, they don't need to top it... Universal has a lot of great stuff in the pipeline that will draw people and make the theme park experience even better...

We, the consumer, win.... that's all that matters!!!!

texas211
07-17-2017, 09:49 PM

Jk Rowling, that's a pass to print money for 10 more years or longer. The new Rowling movie was great, others will follow. Universal has a deep stable. Jurassic Park franchise as it continues. Who knows, might get back in bed w/ Star Trek.

As for Brazil.. great...

BrerGnat
07-18-2017, 12:42 AM
I guess that gives us reason to tune in to next year's D23? This slate will be hard to top in the next couple years!Next D23 will be 2019. It's every other year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TikiLounger
07-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Ohhhhh my. I'm really excited about these announcements! Especially the Epcot additions. I can't wait!

Tekneek
07-18-2017, 03:57 PM

Imagine the waste that is for people that don't have park hopping on their tickets.

Snow's Mom
07-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Sounds like I need to at least try to watch Tron, Avatar and Guardians of the Galaxy.

The problem is, I can't excited about that. Maybe that's where "too old" comes in. None of those movies interest me in the least. Oh, well, looking forward to the Pandora rides.

texas211
07-18-2017, 08:53 PM
The problem is, I can't excited about that. Maybe that's where "too old" comes in. None of those movies interest me in the least. Oh, well, looking forward to the Pandora rides.

GoTG, I'm too old to want to see a bunch of, and doesn't strike me a classic film. NOt like when Jurassic Park came out, and you knew, hey, this will stand the test of time.

Tron, well. When it came out, made me even more interested in computers. Waited for Tron 2 for all these years. So, as long as they don't mess up anything iconic, i'm good with it. Ever touch my Wedway People Mover, and "Cry Havoc!!!"

Altair
07-18-2017, 09:51 PM
So once GMR goes dark there will only be four rides and four shows left at the Studios,plus fireworks and Fantasmic! for almost two years. Just shut it down, get the work done and reopen faster than planned now. Not very ethical to charge full price for what's left.

Rhetoric2000
07-19-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm generally pretty happy about these changes with the exception of the GMR.

The Movie Ride truly will be missed. There is no doubt it needed a complete update and overhaul, but I would have much preferred that to it being replaced.

Having said that, I think that a Mickey themed dark ride makes complete sense and am stunned that they haven't done such a thing before. I'd perhaps just have preferred it to be somewhere else.

The Tron news is fantastic, the ride in Shanghai looks great and a superb addition to Tomorrowland. As for the Speedway, I'm glad that a family attraction is not giving way for the new thrill ride, but I would rather this were changed or updated as well. I know it's old but I think using the term "Classic" to describe the Speedway is really stretching the definition of the term - the thing stands out as an unusually standard piece of fairground fayre.

Guardians of Epcot I'm excited for. I wouldn't have been when I held out any hope that Epcot retained the Edutainment edge, but edutainment has been dead since the millennium at least. Therefore I'm just hyped for a new attraction and restaurant in "Future World".

Star Wars and Toy Story I'm very excited for. The new full lands across all theme parks recently havoc been at an outstanding level.

texas211
07-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Not very ethical to charge full price for what's left.

Their souvenirs are made by 5 year olds in some 3rd world country for a nickel a day..

DizneyFreak2002
07-20-2017, 12:07 AM
Passholder email went out confirming UoE's last day as August 13th...

Tekneek
07-21-2017, 11:05 AM
Having said that, I think that a Mickey themed dark ride makes complete sense and am stunned that they haven't done such a thing before. I'd perhaps just have preferred it to be somewhere else.

Mickey seems to barely exist outside of the Theme Parks these days. What once seemed like a no-brainer feels more like a "Who even cares at this point?" now. I got the impression they wanted to get rid of Great Movie Ride more than they wanted a Mickey Mouse attraction.

Tekneek
07-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Not very ethical to charge full price for what's left.

I've felt that way for a while now. Looking up DHS in the app produced an hilarious list of "attractions" and even that is about half the size it was a few years ago.

Snow's Mom
07-21-2017, 07:11 PM
As to DHS, they should re-open the Animation Academy somewhere---the part where you get to draw characters. I know they do something similar at the AoA resort, but how tough would it be to put in somewhere in the park? At least until Star Wars opens.:twocents:

texas211
07-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Imagine how many DVC booths they can now open until everything is ready.

baldburke
07-24-2017, 12:15 PM
As to DHS, they should re-open the Animation Academy somewhere---the part where you get to draw characters. I know they do something similar at the AoA resort, but how tough would it be to put in somewhere in the park? At least until Star Wars opens.:twocents:

We will miss the Animation Academy. That was always a favorite stop of ours. My guess is that the cost per user probably doesn't justify its existence.

RavsRuleDisney!
08-17-2017, 05:11 PM
Hey hey! Disney actually putting some big $$ back into the parks is long overdue. A lot to soak up but that's a good thing. I like that by the initial concept art for the TRON attraction - it appears the Speedway still lives on! I unfortunately can't do the motion sickness-type rides (did Passages of Flight on our trip this past week and I barely survived) so a few of these new ride "experiences" will be a wait and see for me. Star Wars Hotel, new skyway transportation, new restaurants, another cruise ship....should be fun seeing it all come to life over the next few (read several) years....

Park Hopper
08-18-2017, 08:39 AM
Hey hey! Disney actually putting some big $$ back into the parks is long overdue. A lot to soak up but that's a good thing. I like that by the initial concept art for the TRON attraction - it appears the Speedway still lives on! I unfortunately can't do the motion sickness-type rides (did Passages of Flight on our trip this past week and I barely survived) so a few of these new ride "experiences" will be a wait and see for me. Star Wars Hotel, new skyway transportation, new restaurants, another cruise ship....should be fun seeing it all come to life over the next few (read several) years....

I too am really glad to see Disney building again. It seems that they went through a long period of doing nothing to build new experiences and rather spent a fortune on figuring out how to drain every last cent out of those that do visit. I admit this is an overly cynical view (I do like the Magic Bands, but FP+ not so much). Anyway, I think it took Universal's building boom to light a fire under them and get them to build again.

It is great to see that they are doing something, and it seems that they are adding in many cases rather than just substituting. My only real issue is that to me it seems like it took Universal to make them build, and it is odd for me to see Disney being a follower rather than a leader, and it seems to take so incredibly and painstakingly long for them to build the new attractions. And, I further agree with others that don't understand how they can keep shutting things down in HS before new things are open.