PDA

View Full Version : Tron Lightcycles to Replace Tomorrowland Speedway?

Buttercup
07-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Rumors say - starting in 2018 they will begin removing the Speedway for the Tron Lightcycles from Shanghai. This will probably be formally announced this weekend at D23.

I can't help but think this could have gone somewhere more effective. The ride itself looks cool but I think it's a shame to destroy an attraction to put in a new one. And if Tomorrowland needs a refresh, why not start with Stitch or Monsters Inc instead?

Anyway, get your rides on the Speedway now kids. No more driving for you (at least on the east coast!) :nope:

texas211
07-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Well, there should be a stronger Tron presence in Tomorrowland. I've always wanted the Space Mountain arcade to be called Flynn's.

One thing I dont like is exchanging a family friendly ride like the Grand Prix, and putting in one that will have specific ride restrictions. I am leery of WDW turning into a Six Flags park.

Great point though, if you want to take something out, do something w/ the Stitch space.

John
07-10-2017, 11:23 AM
I'd be a little more careful - while multiple outlets are reporting - nothing is final till it's announced. After all, weeks ago - people were saying plans and such made this an almost certainty for Epcot.

Now, that being said, I can totally see this happening and wouldn't be surprised at all. Tomorrowland like Future World at Epcot really needs a shot in the arm.

John
07-10-2017, 11:36 AM
In case you weren't familiar with the ride - here is some concept art...

Fangorn
07-10-2017, 11:37 AM
While the Autopia (Speedway at WDW) has some sentimental value for me personally as someone who grew up at Disneyland, I have to admit that none of my kids (3 out of 4 are boys) or grandkids (they're all in that target age group now) have ever expressed any real interest in the attraction. Maybe it is time to "let it go". The Speedway does have a large footprint that could be used for other things.

Personally, though, I'd put Tron in Epcot, and use the Speedway space for two new attractions. That would be a win for both parks.

One concern of puting Tron in this space is the proximity to Space Mountain. That area of the Park is going to be VERY crowded. But then, Splash and Big Thunder are next to each other, and they too are on the periphery of the Park, so maybe it won't be too bad.

Steve

JanetMegan
07-10-2017, 11:50 AM
I would actually be very excited about this (but I also never really liked the cars even as a kid, too jerky.) At this point though I think I get excited about anything NEW (at all!)

Snow's Mom
07-10-2017, 11:56 AM
One thing I dont like is exchanging a family friendly ride like the Grand Prix, and putting in one that will have specific ride restrictions. I am leery of WDW turning into a Six Flags park.

Agree. I won't miss the Speedway, but am not interested in another thrill ride. As long as Disney adds other kinds of attractions as well, I think it would be great. Stitch could go, too.

PopPhan
07-10-2017, 12:04 PM
As much as I can understand your trepidation over this, I can certainly see how this would fit in better with Tomorrowland than a throwback attraction like the Speedway. There are many attraction like the Speedway at local amusement parks and Disney should be 'a step above and beyond' the standard amusement park fare. (In my mind anyway.)

I do agree wholeheartedly that Stitch, and to some degree Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor are almost 'throwaway' attractions, but I do enjoy Monsters Inc. now and then. The Stitch attraction, however, was a poor replacement for ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter and seemed to be something thrown in just to take advantage of the popularity of Stitch after the 'Lilo and Stitch' movie(s).

jennsky
07-10-2017, 12:31 PM
If I may give my two cents, I think this is an amazing idea. The Tomorrowland Speedway was desperately in need of an update (ie. gas powered cars are not very futuristic....not to mention loud!!) but since that wasn't going to happen, I am so excited for this (assuming it's legit). Another thrill ride for the park! It will thin out some of the crowds from Space Mountain. I'm just not sure how the theming of it will transition in nicely to the Mad Tea Party, but hey, that'll be for someone else to come up with. It will look so amazing lit up at nighttime back there. I have fond childhood memories of the Speedway as I'm sure lots of you do, but change can be good (we will overlook the fond childhood memories I also have of Journey Into Imagination and how that got messed up...lol!). Personally I think this is a WIN WIN!!

BrerGnat
07-10-2017, 12:42 PM
I'm not buying it just yet. It just makes no sense to put a coaster right next to another coaster. (Or right next to 3 coasters, if you count 7 Dwarfs and Barnstormer).

I think it is more likely this will end up at Epcot, if anywhere.

Hopefully those Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot rumors were just a cover for this going in to replace UoE. Fingers crossed.

Putting this in Epcot doesn't bother me. Replacing the speedway for it does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TheVBs
07-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Wow! This would be pretty amazing. I can't say I would miss the Speedway. We've made some fun memories on it, but I also remember our girls asking, "What is WRONG with these cars?"

So, how much of a thrill ride is Tron?

baldburke
07-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Love, love, love! It's no secret that Disney needs more E ticket rides to compete Universal. It also gives visitors another reason to visit Tomorrowland. Space Ranger Spin and the Laugh Floor are fun, but they need another big draw in Tomorrowland. Redo the Stitch space while you're at it!

BrerGnat
07-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Wow! This would be pretty amazing. I can't say I would miss the Speedway. We've made some fun memories on it, but I also remember our girls asking, "What is WRONG with these cars?"

So, how much of a thrill ride is Tron?
It's a coaster. Probably somewhere between Big Thunder and Rock n Roller coaster in terms of thrill. It has a high speed launch. You sit straddled on cars that look like a motorcycle. Very similar to how you sit on the new Flight of Passage ride.

It goes 60mph and has a height requirement of 48 inches.

SBETigg
07-10-2017, 01:03 PM
It looks like this attraction needs a fair amount of space, so the Stitch location wouldn't be large enough possibly? Getting rid of the speedway makes a lot of sense to me. I've never been a fan. My kids were never into it. Tron fits with Tomorrowland. Overall, I think it's a great fit and replacing an attraction that has outlived its time. And I can't see that they would have any issue placing a coaster near other coasters. You have Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain in proximity. It works, if it's really happening.

Park Hopper
07-10-2017, 01:52 PM
A small part of me will miss the Speedway, but just for nostalgic reasons. However, I think this is a good move. I think the Speedway was fantastic back in the day as it gave kids the ability to control their own vehicle. But today (and for several years) you can go out a by a cheap electric vehicle for your kids that they can drive all over the yard on their own. Along with the computer graphics/racing simulations of today, I think there is little appeal, other than a parent and kid can rid in the vehicle together.

MNNHFLTX
07-10-2017, 01:53 PM
As much as I can understand your trepidation over this, I can certainly see how this would fit in better with Tomorrowland than a throwback attraction like the Speedway. There are many attraction like the Speedway at local amusement parks and Disney should be 'a step above and beyond' the standard amusement park fare. (In my mind anyway.) I agree with this in theory, but if the expectation is that Disney needs to be a step above standard amusement parks, they already have a lot of potential stuff to work on (Stitch and Monsters, Inc., as mentioned, also Innoventions, Wonders of Life, Journey Into the Imagination) before they start messing with all the classics.

MNNHFLTX
07-10-2017, 01:56 PM
A small part of me will miss the Speedway, but just for nostalgic reasons. However, I think this is a good move. I think the Speedway was fantastic back in the day as it gave kids the ability to control their own vehicle. But today (and for several years) you can go out a by a cheap electric vehicle for your kids that they can drive all over the yard on their own. Along with the computer graphics/racing simulations of today, I think there is little appeal, other than a parent and kid can rid in the vehicle together.

That's true. My son loved the Speedway when he was little, but it was not commonplace back then for people to have the little motorized cars and bikes for their kids to drive.

Arielfan98
07-10-2017, 02:25 PM
With all due respect to those with little kids and families, there are plenty of family friendly rides. I would say there are more family friendly rides than non-thrilling rides. I understand WDW is not Six Flags, but even the 7 Dwarves Mine Train is no where close to any of the roller coasters at Six Flags. I'm very queasy/intimidated by large/upside down coasters and there is nothing like that at Disney (except R&RC) Yes, some rides do require child swap, but the great thing is that the kid-friendly rides outnumber the "thrilling rides" and kids grow up eventually so they can experience more rides.

disneycutie165
07-10-2017, 03:11 PM
I have been to Disney 7 times and have never had even the slightest interest in the Speedway. And this is coming from someone who LOVED the Autobahn cars at Busch Gardens here in VA. However, if I am not mistaken, is Test Track not Tron themed?

I totally agree with Stitch being taken down. I just home Disney does not turn into a thrill-ride zone. Definitely not worth the money as a thrill-avoider. :bolt:

disneycutie165
07-10-2017, 03:14 PM
Hopefully those Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot rumors were just a cover for this going in to replace UoE. Fingers crossed

I'm just hoping they don't replace ToT with that Guardians of the Galaxy mess. Now THAT'S a true classic that cannot go!

cer
07-10-2017, 03:19 PM
I understand everyone's thoughts on this....

I must say however, there is nothing like the first time your child gets to take one of those cars out alone or can steer and push the pedal on their own. So fun.

No matter what happens, I am glad I got to have this experience with both my kids.

:car:

Short story:

We are a family of 4. My daughter is the older and she was riding with her daddy. I think my son was riding on his own although he is the younger of the two which left me to drive my own car. So, the 'deal' was this. If my daughter could drive without hitting the rails, she would get ________. I don't know what the prize was, but she was doing real well until she looked ahead to me and saw me hitting the rails and getting knocked all over and then got tickled at me. I don't know how well that story translates, but we have laughed so much over that. :blush:

DizneyFreak2002
07-10-2017, 05:15 PM
What if I were to tell you, yes all will be revealed this weekend, but the info provided here is wrong? What if I were to tell you Tron is NOT replacing the Speedway? What if I were to tell you Tron WILL be going in behind the Speedway, and the speedway gets a theme overhaul?????????

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Fangorn
07-10-2017, 06:06 PM
I can believe that. But inside or outside of the railroad track? Or both?

Steve

Buttercup
07-10-2017, 06:14 PM
I have been to Disney 7 times and have never had even the slightest interest in the Speedway. And this is coming from someone who LOVED the Autobahn cars at Busch Gardens here in VA. However, if I am not mistaken, is Test Track not Tron themed?

Nope. Test Track is themed to be a futuristic test facility for cars of the future (Sponsored by GM of course!). People make the comparison to Tron because there is a lot of neon and glowing stuff in Test Track, but it definitely has nothing to do with the premise of Tron or what Tron is about.

Buttercup
07-10-2017, 06:20 PM
What if I were to tell you, yes all will be revealed this weekend, but the info provided here is wrong? What if I were to tell you Tron is NOT replacing the Speedway? What if I were to tell you Tron WILL be going in behind the Speedway, and the speedway gets a theme overhaul?????????

What if I told you I think that would be a WAY cooler idea! But logistically speaking, I think Fangorn is on the right "track" (heheh see what I did there?). It would need to sit outside of the railroad track, which maybe would work. There is a huge body of water back there, but there is a small patch of land directly behind Space Mountain (just looking at Google Earth).

texas211
07-10-2017, 06:27 PM

I totally agree with Stitch being taken down. I just home Disney does not turn into a thrill-ride zone. Definitely not worth the money as a thrill-avoider. :bolt:

Test Track is non theme per se like Tron. Its a futuristic testing area. That being said, it does have that color look.

Stitch being turned into another restroom would be an improvement. If they are going to do something more exciting, I'm a big fan of the Ratatouille technology (like spiderman or transformers at universal). A large sprectrum can ride. Short, Tall, big, skinny, old and young, in general, can ride those.

Also, reading through the comments, I didn't realize there was a lack of love for Monsters.

John
07-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Wouldn't surprise me - as I said in post three (look it up - lol) - nothing is confirmed till it's confirmed. And for once, I don't have any inside info on this ;)

DizneyFreak2002
07-10-2017, 06:46 PM
I can believe that. But inside or outside of the railroad track? Or both?

Steve

What if I told you I think that would be a WAY cooler idea! But logistically speaking, I think Fangorn is on the right "track" (heheh see what I did there?). It would need to sit outside of the railroad track, which maybe would work. There is a huge body of water back there, but there is a small patch of land directly behind Space Mountain (just looking at Google Earth).

Fangorn, outside the WWRR train tracks... There isn't enough room inside the tracks... That is where the Speedway is...

Buttercup, not sure what happens to the body of water, but you are on the right "track" hehe... behind the Speedway, next to Space Mountain... And not swallowing the water there, that I know of anyway... Dunno what construction will consist of and if that water affects the area to be built on in any way.... But yes, it would be in between the WWRR tracks and the road you can drive on behind Space Mountain...

Wouldn't surprise me - as I said in post three (look it up - lol) - nothing is confirmed till it's confirmed. And for once, I don't have any inside info on this ;)

And please, let's remember what John said!!!!! Plans can change... As it stands now D23 should, and let me stress SHOULD, have plenty of announcements for WDW... There are at least 10 announcements I know of which can be revealed this weekend... This is one of them.... Now, between today and Saturday plenty can change...

But as it stands now, these are the plans I am aware of...

Oh let me also state I have no idea where the queue line will start... I'm not privy to that info LOL....

BrerGnat
07-10-2017, 09:21 PM
You must follow the same people on Twitter that I do.

Stu29573
07-11-2017, 09:51 AM
I would hate to see the Speedway go simply because when we took our grandkids a couple of years ago, the only ride my granddaughter specifically wanted to ride was the cars. She loved them. That being said, she was four and probably has already outgrown it.
I'm not thrilled (pun intended) with a 60mph launch coaster. I hate R&RC. I live less than 30min away from Six Flags Over Texas, and I saw a wonderful theme park turn into an unthemed thrill mess in just a few years. I'd hate to see that trend repeated.

1DisneyNut
07-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Typically, I am not a fan of removing an existing to replace with a new one, especially when it is one that has been there for a very long time. However, I have never cared for the speedway. Even as a kid, I can remember saying how bad the cars were. They are slow and I mean slow and almost impossible to drive without banging the rails. They are not fun even for an 8 year old. When I finally got to drive one myself as a kid, I was already driving riding lawn mowers that would blow the doors off of those cars and also drove a lot better and easier and I even had a go kart that would move pretty good and do donuts so the speedway has always been rather mundane to me. My kids always wanted to ride when they were too small to drive and wanted to drive so bad but once they got big enough and drove them a couple of times they said they didn't like them for the exact same reasons I never liked them. The speedway could go away and it would not bother me one bit.

baldburke
07-11-2017, 12:23 PM
That's funny...I was thinking "outside the track" too! That should definitely be some sort of Disney-ism?

joanna71985
07-11-2017, 03:56 PM
I hope this is true! I would love to get the Tron ride

texas211
07-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Will they serve drinks out of upside down frisbees?

TikiLounger
07-12-2017, 08:42 AM
My husband and kids loved the Speedway back when the kids were little. I never participated, though. The exhaust smell gave me a headache. I won't mind seeing it go, but I do see the point of those who want it to stay for sentimental reasons. The Tron concept art looks really intriguing. I'd definitely ride it. On a side note, I'm a ride person. I'll ride just about anything, so it's interesting that the only two rides I can't do are in the Magic Kingdom. The Tomorrowland Speedway, and Astro Orbiter. I can ride Rockin' Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, and Mission Space (I think my son and I are the only people who love this ride) multiple times in a row...but...the Astro Orbiter absolutely terrifies me. Go figure...

Tearin_it_up
07-12-2017, 08:48 AM
I believe execs from GM saw Tron and told Disney they wanted something that looked along the same lines.
Adding another e-ticket to the Magic Kingdom will be a huge help to some of the lines around the park, but is it also a possibility that Space Mountain goes down for a lengthy refurb after this is up and running?

SunnyLee
07-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Good grief! Will Disney please leave the Classic's alone??!!!! I'm a family with little kids..and this is BY FAR their favorite ride!!! Let's be honest...Tron?!!!! Ya cuz that was a blockbuster hit :-??? If they must bring Tron over..EPCOT could use some more rides! Or ya...get rid of Stitch..cuz that's NEVER being used, whereas Speedway always has long waits and is a favorite!!! ...I have so much more I could (scream) say ...but mostly it's: PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT AWAY!!!!

azcavalier
07-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Let's be honest...Tron?!!!! Ya cuz that was a blockbuster hit :-??? If they must bring Tron over..EPCOT could use some more rides!

It's not a blockbuster, but it's a cult classic (talking the original, not the more recent sequel).

Let's face it, the TRON Light Cycles ride would be AMAZING. And the Tomorrowland Speedway is anything but. It's not fit for anyplace called "Tomorrowland", and it's quite the opposite of a speedway. As others have stated, it doesn't move people, it's loud, it has been outdated for decades, and it's more frustrating to drive than it is enjoyable. I'd be all for keeping it if they completely overhauled it and gave it electric vehicles with a new theme. But barring that, I would volunteer to give the first swing of the sledgehammer to start knocking it down. It is the biggest waste of space in all of DisneyWorld. Everyone hates on Stitch's Great Escape, but let's face it...the audio-animatronics are amazing, at least. There is some redeeming quality, even if it's only on a technical level. I can't make the same argument for the Speedway. And while I am a sentimental man, I don't think that keeping something just because it's a classic is a valid argument. I would gladly tear down the Country Bears and the Tiki Room as well. OK, i'd actually like to see the Tiki Room get made into a Polynesian restaurant like Walt originally envisioned. But that's not going to happen.

texas211
07-12-2017, 04:44 PM
It's not a blockbuster, but it's a cult classic (talking the original, not the more recent sequel).

It is the biggest waste of space in all of DisneyWorld. Everyone hates on Stitch's Great Escape, but let's face it...the audio-animatronics are amazing, at least.

Now that would be a thread.. Biggest waste of space (speedway). But, it'd be hard pressed to beat Stitch or WOL pavilion. Its too bad the dumbo area was already put in, that would stretch out Tomorrowland.

I'd like some sort of flying theme of the Tomorrowland movie to be installed.

As far as the electric car idea, its too bad they couldn't do a Formula E theme.

I just like something that fits for everyone. To me, that is Disney. Thrills are for Six Flags, or even IOA/Universal. Thats the one thing I really dont like at Sea World, very few non thrill rides. And they need them without the killer whale show. Tron, like the new Avatar ride, has a lot of limitations, and I dont like that. Especially at the MK. Now if they threw in some Tron cars, to accommodate more people, and be more accessible, i'd be cool with that.

DonaldDuck1117
07-12-2017, 06:37 PM
I would be thrilled if the Speedway got the ax. I don't get that ride. It does not fit into Tomorrowland and there is nothing unique about it. You can find a drive your own car ride at every amusement park or state fair. Plus, it takes up a huuuuge plot of land.

I've never seen Tron, but the ride looks absolutely amazing. And, as crazy as it sounds, MK could really use another E-Ticket attraction. And it's ok for MK to have an actual thrill ride.

I am so pumped about this weekend. It seems like it could be a "the empire strikes back" moment to Universal if all these rumors turn out to be true for attractions. Maybe Disney is finally about to dust off Mickey's checkbook and give us new and exciting attractions.

DizneyFreak2002
07-12-2017, 06:45 PM
I will reiterate what John said at the beginning of this thread.. plans change... And these plans could have as well... There was a time not so long ago, Tron was never coming state side... Now, it looks like it is...

Again, the plans released yesterday is not how several trustworthy people heard it... Not how I heard it.. Not what was explained... Could those be the new plans? Maybe... I did say they were wrong, yes... Cause I do not trust the website nor the person who put it out there...

Anyway, let me state again what I have heard and verified through trustworthy people... Tron cycle coaster is coming.. it will be in Tomorrowland.... will have the outside portion of the coaster...Will NOT replace Speedway but go behind it... thus changing crowd patterns and site lines in that area of the park... Speedway would stay but with an overhaul, theme change... Possibly electric cars... Tron would go outside the WDWRR tracks... Space Mountain is safe.... Should be announced this weekend...

Again, these are the plans as I have heard and been told... And again, plans change, so these may have as well... or they still might... And plans for announcing it this weekend may change too... 10 projects for WDW could be announced this weekend... Depends on if Disney wants to announce them or not...

But fear not... Tron will make much more sense and will fit in with the new theme Tomorrowland is scheduled to get....

Fusillejerry
07-13-2017, 12:03 PM
I won't get too excited about this until I hear actual confirmation from Disney or Intercot, but the possibility of this coming to WDW is amazing. The Shanghai version looks incredible and I have wanted to ride this ever since I heard Michael talk about it on the podcast. Although it would be sad to lose any original attraction, I can't say I would be devastated if the speedway was replaced. Perhaps it's just because my older twins are thrill seekers and of the age that they would soon be able to go on Tron and the fact that we can enjoy something very similar to the speedway at Hershey Park. Regardless, this is one rumor I am 100% excited about if it happens. Now, when it comes to some other rumors..... (grumble grumble).

DizneyFreak2002
07-13-2017, 06:46 PM
Sounds as if the speedway will be completely done over possibly themed to Tron as well... Tron may posdibly be taking over that entire corner.. so in a way the original news was 50% correct providing these are the final plans...

texas211
07-13-2017, 09:37 PM
Maybe they'll put in a Tron eatery or bar.. :)

Tearin_it_up
07-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Man, the idea of two Tron attractions while Wall-E gets none in Tomorrowland makes me a little sour, but I am excited about the Coaster, looks pretty cool either way

DizneyFreak2002
07-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Dunno if it will be two Tron attractions... almost sounds like it honestly... but no idea if the Speedway is rethemed to Tron... I am going off what someone posted elsewhere... that corner can be called Tron corner....

texas211
07-14-2017, 04:45 PM
Man, the idea of two Tron attractions while Wall-E gets none in Tomorrowland makes me a little sour, but I am excited about the Coaster, looks pretty cool either way

No love for Walle, UP, Moana and Princess and the Frog. I'd love to see attractions for them.

I'd at least like to see a Walle or Buy n Large food stand.
But, I don't want like astro orbiters car painted like Eve or anything. Something legit. Maybe in the Stitch area. Or put in a show, replace the Lion King thing in the Land.

DizneyFreak2002
07-14-2017, 06:19 PM
Ok looks like this will be 2 attractions... Speedway going away to make room fir a kiddie Tron car ride as welk as the coaster...

1DisneyNut
07-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Ok looks like this will be 2 attractions... Speedway going away to make room fir a kiddie Tron car ride as welk as the coaster...

Sounds good to me. Lose the speedway and build something for kids to ride.

DizneyFreak2002
07-14-2017, 08:25 PM
Sounds good to me. Lose the speedway and build something for kids to ride.
Yep... if these are in fact the plans... Hope ee find out tomorrow... We should... plus other good stuff!!!!

Altair
07-14-2017, 09:01 PM
I say one thing, the Disney folks sure put on a good dog and pony show.