PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans French Quarter

angela2679
07-05-2017, 02:52 PM
We will be staying at the POFQ for the first time come this November. We're from NOLA and figured it would be kind of nice to stay someplace like home. Does anyone have any thoughts on this hotel? Reviews? It's just the two of us and the hotel seems romantic which is a plus! :cloud9:

faline
07-05-2017, 02:57 PM
It is a small, intimate resort. It's been a while since we stayed at this resort but we liked it very much. It is one of my two favorite moderate resorts - the other being Coronado Springs. Enjoy your stay!!

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-05-2017, 05:40 PM
We love POFQ, it is our favourite place to stay at Disney. It is a small resort, and yes, quite romantic as you wander the "streets" to your room.

They have recently redone the food court, it is quite nice, and they have freestyle coke machines (a small thing, but I really took advantage of the variety).

The pool is nice, but gets loud and busy in the afternoons, otherwise has a deep section and looks lovely. The hot tub is separate and generally quite quiet and a nice break.

The boat to Disney Springs is a nice change from the bus, and you can wander over to POR as well, for a larger food court, a sit-down restaurant and more pools!

texas211
07-05-2017, 09:10 PM
Its small, and we like using the boat shuttles to Springs. It is close to POR, which is our favorite Moderate. You can use the POR restaurants. We also love the fishing excursions. The buses seem hit or miss. We often rent a car as my patience level is low.

Bass T-bone
07-06-2017, 08:01 AM
I would have to say that you might want to be careful that you don't start comparing the French Quarter to home. Unless of course, you find that enjoyable. Like "The beignets here aren't as good as at home." I think that it would be too easy to start comparing and as good as French Quarter is, you can't beat the original.

texas211
07-06-2017, 08:49 AM
But does home have a King Neptune and Scales water slide?

angela2679
07-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Its small, and we like using the boat shuttles to Springs. It is close to POR, which is our favorite Moderate. You can use the POR restaurants. We also love the fishing excursions. The buses seem hit or miss. We often rent a car as my patience level is low.

I've read this other places, we're driving up so we'll have our car to drive to the parks!

mom2morgan
07-06-2017, 05:18 PM
I would have to say that you might want to be careful that you don't start comparing the French Quarter to home. Unless of course, you find that enjoyable. Like "The beignets here aren't as good as at home." I think that it would be too easy to start comparing and as good as French Quarter is, you can't beat the original.
That's a really good point! I also want something different on vacation and NOT someplace that "feels like home" which is why I don't stay at Wilderness Lodge! I'm at home most of the year - I'd like to experience something different once in a while, LOL

angela2679
07-07-2017, 08:22 AM
That's a really good point! I also want something different on vacation and NOT someplace that "feels like home" which is why I don't stay at Wilderness Lodge! I'm at home most of the year - I'd like to experience something different once in a while, LOL

That was my initial feeling too, but the hubby wanted to check it out, so I gave in. I don't think that I'll compare, at least I don't plan on it. I am looking forward to seeing Disney's take on my home though! I'm sure it'll be great :)

Bass T-bone
07-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Yes, I'm sure it will be fine... and you'll probably see things that most people won't notice.

#1donaldfan
07-07-2017, 03:20 PM
I'm sure you will love it .... it is very much Disney and one of our favorite places to stay .... it may have gentle reminders of home, but it's certainly not ....

mandaep
07-10-2017, 09:44 AM
this is our home resort!! It is small and laid back which is our favorite thing about it. I went to NOLA in January and I gotta say there is just enough of an ambiance to make you feel like you're near jackson square at times. even if it wasn't even really like nola at all you would still like it. plus only one bus stop that is never really that busy honestly compared to other resorts, and the boat ride to port orleans riverside and disney springs makes it worth it for us to keep going back. As for comparing, like others said, you gotta be careful of course. I used to love the beignets at POFQ but after having them in NOLA I definitely prefer NOLA's 100 times over :)

angela2679
07-10-2017, 03:15 PM
this is our home resort!! It is small and laid back which is our favorite thing about it. I went to NOLA in January and I gotta say there is just enough of an ambiance to make you feel like you're near jackson square at times. even if it wasn't even really like nola at all you would still like it. plus only one bus stop that is never really that busy honestly compared to other resorts, and the boat ride to port orleans riverside and disney springs makes it worth it for us to keep going back. As for comparing, like others said, you gotta be careful of course. I used to love the beignets at POFQ but after having them in NOLA I definitely prefer NOLA's 100 times over :)

I'm super excited about visiting this resort! I don't think I'm going to end up comparing it at all. I've been all over it and looked at some of the restaurants and "bars" and each time I do, I get more and more excited. I'm excited to see Riverside as well, it looks so pretty.

PopPhan
07-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Just make sure you take an evening and go up to Riverside for Yehaa Bob!! Well worth it!!!!!

texas211
07-10-2017, 06:36 PM
FYI, they do not show Saints football everywhere :)

angela2679
07-11-2017, 08:22 AM

:thumbsup:

garymacd
07-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Well, I guess we'll see you there! We will be there in November as well.

As others have said, it is small and intimate. Everything is close by. There is only one bus stop outside the main entrance. We have never had a problem with bus service.

We have never been to New Orleans and this is probably as close as we will get to the real thing. We love the atmosphere, the jazz music, the décor, the dragon swimming pool, the play on words for the street names. Oh, and the beignets - also now available in gluten-free version.

#1donaldfan
07-21-2017, 01:05 PM

Thank goodness !!! hahahaa !!! I can see the Saints at their training facility at the Greenbrier about 1 hour from my house .... then I prefer to watch real football and go see my Steelers !! haha .... sorry, I had to poke some fun there ....

texas211
07-21-2017, 08:09 PM
Well, you might see the Saints there... Their season should be over pretty early.

emerzmom
08-23-2017, 02:21 PM
POFQ is my favorite moderate resort. It is smaller and more intimate. The rooms have queen beds and are nicely decorated. Although the resort only has one bus stop it does share the bus run with the Riverside resort. Another great thing about POFQ is that it is very centrally located on the general WDW property. You made a great selection! Relax and enjoy your trip!
:tink:
Julie

Brooklynos
09-06-2017, 03:00 PM
We have stayed at French Quarter around 5 times. We are from the Mississippi Gulf Coast and very familiar with New Orleans. We love the resort. It's small, has a boat to Disney Springs and reminds us of a clean French Quarter. We found the buses to be great, generally you will be the first picked up and dropped off when you share with Riverside. The beignets are good, not Cafe DuMonde good but good. Have fun!

angela2679
09-06-2017, 04:32 PM
We have stayed at French Quarter around 5 times. We are from the Mississippi Gulf Coast and very familiar with New Orleans. We love the resort. It's small, has a boat to Disney Springs and reminds us of a clean French Quarter. We found the buses to be great, generally you will be the first picked up and dropped off when you share with Riverside. The beignets are good, not Cafe DuMonde good but good. Have fun!

A clean French Quarter!?!?! Just that sells me LOL

texas211
09-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Here you leave today... enter a world of fantasy.

cajunmickey
09-23-2017, 01:39 PM
We are from New Iberia, LA. This is one of our favorite resorts, the other is Coronado. It is like every has said very quaint. Gives you the feel of New Orleans with out that distinct French Quarter smell! We will also be there in November.

angela2679
11-21-2017, 01:03 PM
We're very excited, 5 days left!

mydisneygirls
12-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Curious what you thought Angela 2679? We will be staying there in March (95% sure). It was Coronado or FQ. We usually stay at Wilderness Lodge but since we'll be in Florida for my daughters college softball "spring training," we won't be at the resort that much and will try to hit the parks when we can. I'm thinking FQ because of the small size and it won't take forever for us to get to the food court and parking lot from our room.

As for comparing a resort to your where you live, we are from the Cape Cod area and the Beach/Yacht Club is nothing like the Cape in my opinion.