PDA

View Full Version : Declining Mousekeeping - Free Gift Card?

steamboat willy
06-28-2017, 08:31 AM
Anyone heard anything about receiving a DISNEY Gift Card for declining MouseKeeping in a Value Resort Room? :mickey:

faline
06-28-2017, 08:48 AM
I haven't heard of such an offer. Anyone else?

luvdiznee
06-28-2017, 09:14 AM
Even though you're asking for Disney resorts I just got this for a Hotel in Atlantic City. I can either get a credit or points.

magicofdisney
06-28-2017, 11:23 AM
I've not heard about any specific offers, however I did get a room credit once because housekeeping came in, took the tip but only emptied the garbage and didn't make the beds.

baldburke
06-28-2017, 12:02 PM
This is an interesting concept with DVC so prevalent. It wouldn't surprise me if Disney put some sort of twist on this for traditional guests with multiple night stays. I could see them going with either an upcharge for daily cleaning or a gift card for less service.

VWL Mom
06-28-2017, 12:34 PM
According to ChipandCo this is currently in rumor stages.

Hammer
06-28-2017, 12:42 PM
I also saw that Disney is having so much trouble finding people to work as housekeepers that they are offering a $500 sign-on bonus.

Zippy 1
06-28-2017, 02:08 PM
This is the current rummor flying around with Cast Members. No one has been able to confirm yet. It would be a $40 gift card if you decline housekeeping for length of stay. Stay tuned for more info as I can get it

John
06-28-2017, 02:14 PM
I don't know about you all - but housekeeping is one thing that makes it feel like vacation and less like home. Even as a DVC owner, I miss it every time I stay and hate coming back to a unmade bed ;)

BriarRose0708
06-28-2017, 02:33 PM
I don't know about you all - but housekeeping is one thing that makes it feel like vacation and less like home. Even as a DVC owner, I miss it every time I stay and hate coming back to a unmade bed ;)

I'm with you! My husband refuses housekeeping when he travels and I insist we get the room cleaned at least every other day when we travel together. Although if it's just a couple nights I would take a gift card in lieu of Mousekeeping. $40 would pay for a few drinks at the bar and I only use the room for sleeping and showering anyway. Any longer than 3 nights and I would want Mousekeeping.

magicofdisney
06-29-2017, 09:20 AM
I see that I misunderstood your title. I thought you were referencing service that has declined over the years. Now I think you're saying we can opt out of housekeeping and get a gift card in lieu of the service.

On that note, I would definitely accept that offering for short stays. My biggest issue would be what to do with all the trash. There'd need to be a more convenient way to dispose of it. Also, they'd need an efficient way to exchange towels and pick up toiletries for the bathroom. I could see this working well, but it would require more "work" for us.

I don't mind so much the extra efforts I'd need to take for this to happen. The more I travel, the less I like a stranger in my room.

j2k
06-29-2017, 02:00 PM
If there was a discount or incentive to declining the mousekeeping service during your stay, I would go for that. We were at AKL last month for 5 nights. We left the room around 8 each day and returned for naptime between 2 and 3 each afternoon. The first day our room had been serviced, but each day afterward it had not been serviced when we returned. I either found them in the hallway or called to have them come do a quick towel switch and empty the garbage so we could do naptime undisturbed. The beds weren't made those days and that's fine. If we could decline it and have an easy process for towels and garbage, like previous commenters have said, I would be ok with declining the service for a few days.

PopPhan
06-29-2017, 03:50 PM
The latest thing I heard on this rumor is that it is a $40 gift card and they are planning on trying this at the Value resorts (Pop, All-Stars [all of them], and AoA)

No details on if there is a length of stay component or if you can request towels, toiletry, coffee, etc. replenishment.

Personally, I tend to leave my Do Not Disturb sign on the door the entire stay. They would always leave a bag of towels, toiletries, etc. hanging on the door either every day or every other day anyway.

Wayne
06-29-2017, 05:09 PM
At the prices that Disney charges, I expect housekeeping to show up and do their job every day. That is part of the implied contract that I have with them. If housekeeping cannot be provided (for whatever reason) I would expect a substantial reduction in the rate that I pay. $40 ain't gonna cut it.

texas211
06-30-2017, 09:33 PM
If I didn't want my room cleaned, I'd stay at a timeshare place. I hope they don't go from the optional to mandatory stage. Its not like its stellar service anyone. But again, I don't stay at Value resorts.

VWL Mom
07-01-2017, 08:10 AM
On that note, I would definitely accept that offering for short stays. My biggest issue would be what to do with all the trash. There'd need to be a more convenient way to dispose of it. Also, they'd need an efficient way to exchange towels and pick up toiletries for the bathroom. I could see this working well, but it would require more "work" for us.

I could be wrong but in other places I've stayed when you take the credit there is no replenishment of towels, toiletries, or coffee. They might, for longer stays, go the route of DVC with fresh towels and supplies on day 4.

magicofdisney
07-01-2017, 09:29 AM
I could be wrong but in other places I've stayed when you take the credit there is no replenishment of towels, toiletries, or coffee. They might, for longer stays, go the route of DVC with fresh towels and supplies on day 4.
I've never stayed anywhere that even offered this option. It's the first I've ever heard of it, outside a timeshare. If those parameters are in place, I'd be LESS inclined to accept. Thanks for the heads-up because I may have missed the fine print on that one.

Mendelson
07-03-2017, 10:03 AM
I'd grab this up in a minute. I don't wash my towels at home every day and I never ever make my bed. $40 - absolutely. Sometimes I put up the do not disturb, in fact, just because I don't want anyone coming in and moving things from very specific places I have them.

I've been at other hotels where they've offered, for example, one free drink at the hotel bar for declining room service for something like three days. I've taken advantage every time I see it.

VWL Mom
07-03-2017, 03:17 PM
It appears from those checking in now at ASMo, the GC are a sliding scale starting at $20 for 2 nights and then in $20 increments per night up to 14 nights.

texas211
07-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Hmm, I wonder, will the rooms get and stay dirtier? Like, after a week of no cleaning, can a 10 minute job get it back into that much of an improved state..?

VWL Mom
07-03-2017, 08:57 PM
Hmm, I wonder, will the rooms get and stay dirtier? Like, after a week of no cleaning, can a 10 minute job get it back into that much of an improved state..?
I was wondering that too, and the effect on check-in if the rooms take longer to clean.

brownie
07-03-2017, 10:11 PM
It's possible that they'd have more than one person clean those rooms. The savings from not cleaning a room every day is more than just the labor of the room cleaner, they could save money and still have more than one person clean the rooms where housekeeping during the stay was declined.

texas211
07-04-2017, 10:41 AM
It's possible that they'd have more than one person clean those rooms. The savings from not cleaning a room every day is more than just the labor of the room cleaner, they could save money and still have more than one person clean the rooms where housekeeping during the stay was declined.

While I agree that is possible, I don't see them adding staff to a job. They'd save more by not doing that as well. Plus, the news grapevine says they have a lot of trouble as it is getting cleaning staff. I already feel when compared to comparably priced non disney rooms, they aren't nearly as clean as non mouse hotels. I worry how much worse will it get.

Terra
07-04-2017, 11:15 AM
I would love this! At any hotel I stay at. I don't need clean sheets ever single day or my trash emptied. Just request towels if needed.
I'm a pretty simple person though.

TheVBs
07-09-2017, 05:54 PM
There's no way I'd go for no housekeeping during a 10 day stay. If the gift card was $40, that's no compensation at all. Even if it were the sliding scale mentioned, where the GC for a 10 day stay would be $180, I would really have to think about it. $180 doesn't go far in WDW.

magicofdisney
07-10-2017, 09:29 AM
There's no way I'd go for no housekeeping during a 10 day stay. If the gift card was $40, that's no compensation at all. Even if it were the sliding scale mentioned, where the GC for a 10 day stay would be $180, I would really have to think about it. $180 doesn't go far in WDW.
I think that's the key right there; how little you can do with $180 at Disney.

Perhaps, if they offered free food vouchers, it might be more enticing. Say, one free counter service per day, per person for each day of service declined. I'd definitely take them up on that and then walk my room trash to the nearest garbage receptacle. After all, I'd need to work off the calories from that free meal. ;)

deedee73
07-10-2017, 11:23 AM
I would consider this but only if we could get toiletries & towels. Otherwise I would not be enticed by a $40 gift card but we always have a lengthy stay. Usually when we visit a hotel for any length of time we only ask for service every couple days with just towels in between.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TheVBs
07-10-2017, 12:51 PM

Perhaps, if they offered free food vouchers, it might be more enticing. Say, one free counter service per day, per person for each day of service declined. I'd definitely take them up on that and then walk my room trash to the nearest garbage receptacle. After all, I'd need to work off the calories from that free meal. ;)

Now that would be a far more tempting offer! As long as at least mid way through our stay we could get new towels and toiletries.

texas211
07-10-2017, 06:43 PM
"It's a trap!"

I'm more jaded I suppose. Disney will research this to see if people will tolerate reduced service rooms and if they see sufficient numbers, just make that the standard. And, no gift card in the future.

Yes, Kennedy was shot from the grassy knoll.

Daisy'sMom
07-11-2017, 04:32 PM
I can stay home and make beds. When I'm away, you better believe I want someone else doing the cleaning.

PopPhan
07-14-2017, 09:53 AM

Well, if you want to look at it another way, $180 would be (roughly) equivalent to 10 Counter Service meals (as allotted on the CS Dining Plan - entree, dessert, drink)

Personally, that would be more than enough for me. I wouldn't have dessert and could stretch that into (possibly) 12 Counter Service entrees + drinks.

MNNHFLTX
07-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Me too! Vacation is the one time I don't have to make the beds, empty the garbage and wash the dirty towels.

AvonleaCF
07-15-2017, 09:04 PM
Count me in the camp that would rather have housekeeping every day! It's part of the vacation experience. I'll forgo the gift card for my bed to be made, garbage emptied, and towels, coffee, and shampoos replaced. :)