PDA

View Full Version : Pirates 5

merciantinkerbell
05-28-2017, 02:34 PM
Went to see Pirates of the Caribbean 5 this afternoon. We really enjoyed it, admittedly not up to Curse of The Black Pearl but that's always tough to beat. Jack's - sorry Captain Jack's first appearance is typical Captain Jack Sparrow, savvy?
Interestingly, it's subtitled Salazar Revenge over here but understand it's Dead Men Tell No Tales everywhere else. Anyone know why?
Had a trailer for Thor Ragnorok too. Looks good.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-30-2017, 12:47 PM
Unfortunately I'm not reading a lot of good critical reviews over here. Haven't seen it yet, probably will wait for a rainy weekend and then take the kids.

Not unusual for different titles in the US vs UK or rest of Europe. Usually has to do with how a title might translate, either in understanding it or cultural sensitivity. Since neither of those seem to be an issue with UK, my guess, and I think that this is what the speculation is, is that there is some trademark issue in the UK that Disney would have had to overcome so instead went with the alternate title.

Altair
05-30-2017, 02:51 PM
Don't go in expecting too much and you should be fine, but this franchise has run it's course. They caught lightning in a bottle with the first one and can't seem to do it again. 6 out of 10 stars.

Mendelson
05-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Don't go in expecting too much and you should be fine, but this franchise has run it's course. They caught lightning in a bottle with the first one and can't seem to do it again. 6 out of 10 stars.

No way! I give it 3 out of 5, tops! :-)

Had to laugh that embedded in your post is the trailer...the trailer for the movie you're saying isn't that good. Irony. Ha.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-30-2017, 04:31 PM
No way! I give it 3 out of 5, tops! :-)

Had to laugh that embedded in your post is the trailer...the trailer for the movie you're saying isn't that good. Irony. Ha.

Math humor - truly under appreciated in today's society.

Mendelson
05-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Math humor - truly under appreciated in today's society.

But here is where the math joke is on us: On Stranger Tides - $1B > $250 Million (take vs. budget). And that's why they'll keep making substandard POTC movies.

Tiggerlovr9000
06-01-2017, 02:55 AM
I give it 9 stars. It was awesome. I think for a sequel they did a great job.

Crow
06-02-2017, 01:25 AM
heard varying reviews. i will go check it out

faline
06-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Went to see it yesterday and enjoyed it. We went to an IMAX theater. It just started last week so I was surprised to find that the show we caught (late afternoon yesterday) was the last showing of this movie. They were moving on to Wonder Woman beginning with last evening's show times.

1DisneyNut
06-02-2017, 06:22 PM
I don't pay any attention to reviews. The movies they rave about, I can't make it past the first 15 minutes and are garbage as far as I am concerned. On the other end of the spectrum, sure some of the ones with bad reviews are in fact garbage but there are some gems hidden in there. Typically the ones that get middle of the road reviews are really good.

I have found all but one of the Pirates series to be pretty good. I can't remember off the top of my head which one I didn't like as much. I am looking forward to seeing Dead Men Tell no Tales.

merciantinkerbell
06-03-2017, 02:10 PM
I'm with you 1DisneyNut. These days it seems critics only like arty meaningful exploring human condition films and every thing else is not worth it. However I like my films to be entertaining couple of hours forget about what's happening outside in reality. Maybe that makes me shallow but quite frankly I don't care and it helps my stress and anxiety levels to go down a bit.
Currently typing this and watching Raiders of the Lost Ark. Go Indy!!

BrowncatP
06-16-2017, 07:22 PM
Saw the movie on Thursday. Went in with low expectations. If you liked the first two Pirates movies, you will like this one as well. Left with a slight tear in the eyes.

DonaldDuck1117
06-22-2017, 09:58 PM
Yeah it was a fun movie. And honestly I'll keep paying my $11 just to watch Depp be Captain Jack. It was definitely better than On Stranger Tides.

Ian
06-24-2017, 08:43 PM
I thought it was okay ... a bit rambling and forced at times, but entertaining enough that I didn't walk away feeling ripped off. I do think the franchise has run its course, though. Really none of the sequels ever lived up to the 1st one.

disneycutie165
06-30-2017, 02:59 PM
I definitely did not enjoy it as much as the first three, but was still entertained! Jack Sparrow is my favorite movie character and I was just overjoyed to see him as Jack one last time. But, are we allowed to talk about the scene after the credits without giving too much away? :secret:

disneycutie165
06-30-2017, 03:00 PM
SO agree with the paying $11 to see Johnny. He is a favorite of mine!