PDA

View Full Version : Construction Permits Filed for Potential Expansion at Epcot

Figment!
05-20-2017, 08:37 PM
Reedy Creek has filed Permit#: 48-00714-P with the South Florida Water Management District for a project titled Epcot Canal Modifications:

Application #: 170515-17 Permit#: 48-00714-P Received Date: 15-May-2017
Issuing Office: ORL/SFWMD Application Status: Initial Review
Permit Type: Environmental Resource (Construction/Operation Modification) 30-Day Deadline: 14-Jun-2017
Project Name: Epcot Canal Modifications Project Acres: 26.83
Landuse(s): Commercial Location: Orange S30/T24/R28
Receiving Body: Reedy Creek / Lake Russell

The project's official purpose according to the permits is to:

... reconfigure the existing canal to provide a more-contiguous area for possible future changes to parking capacity and back of house areas. A spur of the existing canal is proposed to be filled
so that a more developable area is provided.

Although vague, the new 26.83 acre construction site appears to be a first step in some sort of expansion for Epcot.

Of note, the area outlined in blue appears to be a new structure that is being speculated (but not confirmed) to be a new show building:

The proximity of this mystery structure seems reasonably approachable from existing Guest areas and appears to explain the potential cause of the re-location of the existing canal.

Dulcee
05-21-2017, 07:22 AM
Yup, must get Universe of Energy in on this trip. I'd wager Ellen and Bill's days are numbered.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Yea!!! Epcot needs some love ... and I'll take anything moving us in that direction. :)

WDW-Geek
05-22-2017, 08:31 AM
For the first time in forever (I have hope for Epcot)! I hope it's something awesome. :mickey:

PopPhan
05-22-2017, 09:26 AM
They could have added the (almost) abandoned Wonders of Life pavilion to that permit. I realize it is used for 'events,' but it could be so much more.....

Ian
05-22-2017, 08:09 PM
Certainly the proximity to UoE and the (mostly) abandoned WoL pavilion would lead one to believe that this is related to the rumors of the GotG overlay coming to UoE. If I had to guess, I'd guess the rumored new show building will house the queue and loading area for the ride and everything else around it will be demolished to make room for the coaster track.

Sylvia
05-22-2017, 11:12 PM
Looks like yet another one of our favorites will soon disappear. :( :( :( :( :(

I'm probably in the minority here, but the idea of a roller coaster in Future World makes me very sad. Just another ride I'll have to skip, if rumor ever becomes fact. :( :(

DizneyFreak2002
05-29-2017, 07:48 PM
There has been conflicting "information" regarding this... One piece of news said GotG would replace Universe of Energy... Then that changed to, well not just yet, Ratatouille is coming to France first, before we see anything happening at Energy... Then, well, yea something will eventually happen to Energy but it may or may not be GotG, seems like they moved on from GotG there for something else, but it won't be before Ratatouille... Then this permit gets filed... And now?? Some people say better get your last rides in on Energy.... Some say it is closing by the end of the year... We'll have to see..

What I can tell you is this, as of now, the plan for the current Energy building call for the building to be used strictly as ride entrance, queue, load, unload, and exit... The ride itself will be in the new show building in the area on the permit...

Theme is what we are trying to figure out here....

Buttercup
05-30-2017, 02:05 PM
Here's my rant. (I crank because I care)
I know we've all said this a million times before but it's really starting to hit home with me. Future World in Epcot is not supposed to be another Tomorrowland.
Tomorrowland is the "fantastical" future - crazy stuff like flying saucers and people wearing silver jumpsuits in the future.
Future World is supposed to be the "realistic" future. Like, what humans are doing NOW that will affect the future. Think, Living with the Land shows futuristic farming... Mission Space covers more realistic type space travel of the future. Stuff like that. Universe of Energy (although outdated) was trying to cover the realistic future of energy consumption... and they're going to throw that out the window now too apparently. Granted, it's in desperate need of an update, but the rumors of what it's changing to are mind-bogglingly weird.

Now instead of a cohesive park about how our imaginations can come up with ideas that will literally affect our future on earth, it's a mish-mash of random Disney characters, shoe-horned into whatever geographic space they can squish them into.

Imagine Future World in a few years:
- One pavilion that focuses on a bunch of fish searching for Nemo.
- One pavilion that focuses on your five senses (well, 3 out of 5), even though that's not what imaginations are made of.
- One pavilion that is empty 90% of the time and is used for festival merchandise.
- One pavilion that does have a ride about futuristic farming, but another ride about flying through current major cities around the world.
- One pavilion that covers the future of space travel.
- One pavilion that covers futuristic vehicle design.
- One pavilion that focuses on a superhero franchise (GotG) or a fictional video game (Tron), depending on the rumors you believe.

It's like *some* of Future World is on the right track (Mission Space, Test Track, Living With the Land) although maybe you can make the argument that improvements can be made to those.
But the rest of Future World is just getting random stuff because they can't think of anywhere else to fit it. And that's sad. Because how do you explain Epcot to people anymore? It's a place where half the park is World Showcase, and the other half of the park is _______.

End rant.

Crow
06-02-2017, 01:13 AM
Reedy Creek has filed Permit#: 48-00714-P with the South Florida Water Management District for a project titled Epcot Canal Modifications:

The project's official purpose according to the permits is to:

Although vague, the new 26.83 acre construction site appears to be a first step in some sort of expansion for Epcot.

Of note, the area outlined in blue appears to be a new structure that is being speculated (but not confirmed) to be a new show building:

The proximity of this mystery structure seems reasonably approachable from existing Guest areas and appears to explain the potential cause of the re-location of the existing canal.

interesting. thanks for sharing and hope its good

barnaby
06-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Heard the Universe of Energy stays, but GOTG Mission Breakout is built on the new cleared area behind it

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Heard the Universe of Energy stays, but GOTG Mission Breakout is built on the new cleared area behind it

Came from Jim Hill.... Don't listen to Jim Hill...

Still not 100% it is GotG... The new show building will be built on that parcel of land named above....

Ian
06-03-2017, 09:51 AM
Here's my rant. (I crank because I care)
I know we've all said this a million times before but it's really starting to hit home with me. Future World in Epcot is not supposed to be another Tomorrowland.
Tomorrowland is the "fantastical" future - crazy stuff like flying saucers and people wearing silver jumpsuits in the future.
Future World is supposed to be the "realistic" future. Like, what humans are doing NOW that will affect the future. Think, Living with the Land shows futuristic farming... Mission Space covers more realistic type space travel of the future. Stuff like that. Universe of Energy (although outdated) was trying to cover the realistic future of energy consumption... and they're going to throw that out the window now too apparently. Granted, it's in desperate need of an update, but the rumors of what it's changing to are mind-bogglingly weird.

Now instead of a cohesive park about how our imaginations can come up with ideas that will literally affect our future on earth, it's a mish-mash of random Disney characters, shoe-horned into whatever geographic space they can squish them into.

Imagine Future World in a few years:
- One pavilion that focuses on a bunch of fish searching for Nemo.
- One pavilion that focuses on your five senses (well, 3 out of 5), even though that's not what imaginations are made of.
- One pavilion that is empty 90% of the time and is used for festival merchandise.
- One pavilion that does have a ride about futuristic farming, but another ride about flying through current major cities around the world.
- One pavilion that covers the future of space travel.
- One pavilion that covers futuristic vehicle design.
- One pavilion that focuses on a superhero franchise (GotG) or a fictional video game (Tron), depending on the rumors you believe.

It's like *some* of Future World is on the right track (Mission Space, Test Track, Living With the Land) although maybe you can make the argument that improvements can be made to those.
But the rest of Future World is just getting random stuff because they can't think of anywhere else to fit it. And that's sad. Because how do you explain Epcot to people anymore? It's a place where half the park is World Showcase, and the other half of the park is _______.

End rant.Yes. This.

texas211
06-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Looks like yet another one of our favorites will soon disappear. :( :( :( :( :(

I'm probably in the minority here, but the idea of a roller coaster in Future World makes me very sad. Just another ride I'll have to skip, if rumor ever becomes fact. :( :(

Amen. There is no reason they can't make fun, but informative rides. I think Test Track fits that bill. I'd like to see another boat ride. Though Living w/ the Land is my favorite, and would seriously lose my stuff if they took that out.

I think they need 2 more rides out in the World Showcase. Bring back WOL, and UofE, well, a mixture of indoor and outdoor experiences would be cool. Like Jurassic Park, but maybe slightly less thrill/wet as heck, type ride.

I just don't want GotG everything. Will this be the new Frozen? When in doubt, put GOTG?

DizneyFreak2002
06-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Amen. There is no reason they can't make fun, but informative rides. I think Test Track fits that bill. I'd like to see another boat ride. Though Living w/ the Land is my favorite, and would seriously lose my stuff if they took that out.

I think they need 2 more rides out in the World Showcase. Bring back WOL, and UofE, well, a mixture of indoor and outdoor experiences would be cool. Like Jurassic Park, but maybe slightly less thrill/wet as heck, type ride.

I just don't want GotG everything. Will this be the new Frozen? When in doubt, put GOTG?

The guests attention span today is practically nothing... They want quick and dumbed down.... If Disney ever tried to build the Epcot Center of the past today, it would fail, sadly...

World Showcase is getting at least one big ride (Rat) and MAYBE one smaller offering in U.K... And there is still talk of a new country, with an attraction.... That, of course, is still rumor and remains to be seen...

texas211
06-04-2017, 02:41 PM
I think that is generally true, but can be done. Test Track as I mentioned works. I just more variety. Like I don't want a star wars ride at Epcot, though I'm sure that is coming. Though, I wouldn't mind more marvel, like they had at DL (the stark expo was really cool).

barnaby
06-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Came from Jim Hill.... Don't listen to Jim Hill...

Still not 100% it is GotG... The new show building will be built on that parcel of land named above....

Not that it matters to me, Jim Hill is as correct on rumors as anyone else is.

Cinderelley
06-04-2017, 05:55 PM
The guests attention span today is practically nothing... They want quick and dumbed down.... If Disney ever tried to build the Epcot Center of the past today, it would fail, sadly...

World Showcase is getting at least one big ride (Rat) and MAYBE one smaller offering in U.K... And there is still talk of a new country, with an attraction.... That, of course, is still rumor and remains to be seen...

DizneyFreak, it is good to have you back. I always enjoying reading your posts.

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2017, 07:06 PM
I think that is generally true, but can be done. Test Track as I mentioned works. I just more variety. Like I don't want a star wars ride at Epcot, though I'm sure that is coming. Though, I wouldn't mind more marvel, like they had at DL (the stark expo was really cool).

Stark Expo would really make a lot of sense for Epcot, wouldn't it??? In Innoventions..... But that pesky Universal contract....

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2017, 07:07 PM
DizneyFreak, it is good to have you back. I always enjoying reading your posts.

I'll be back as much as I can... Recent promotion in work so my time may be limited, though something tells me I'll make it work :)

Some more about Epcot.... The spine of the park (ticket windows down to the entrance to World Showcase including the fountain, Innoventions, Mouse Gear, Electric Umbrella... ALL getting a make over... No idea what just yet...

Cinderelley
06-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Grats on the promotion.
How is the stormtrooper costume coming along?
Do you think they will do something like the tiles again when they do the makeover? I was always sad that we visited Disney World too late to get our family memorialized somewhere onsite.

DizneyFreak2002
06-05-2017, 05:57 PM
Grats on the promotion.
How is the stormtrooper costume coming along?
Do you think they will do something like the tiles again when they do the makeover? I was always sad that we visited Disney World too late to get our family memorialized somewhere onsite.

Thank you!

The stormtrooper costume isn't coming along at all... I got some of the supplies I need to cut the gear to fit, but have I started that yet??? NOOOO.... I been on vacation since May 27, going back this Thursday June 8, and my plan was to start cutting and shaping at least.... Well, delivery of the supplies I needed took longer than I expected... Amazon been doing that to me lately.... And of course I have had things I had to do and take care of while on vacation... But, my new schedule only calls for me to work 4 days (10 hour shifts) instead of 5 days, so I have 3 days off a week to work on it...

I really have no idea what any of the plans call for... I wish I did... I'd share in a heartbeat... But I don't... All I can go on is rumor at this point... And I'll post those rumors in the rumor thread...

As for this building, it may or may not be GotG and it may or may not be a coaster... People still saying GotG is not a shoe-in foe the ride, and the project itself is back to a slowdown, but not stalled yet...

texas211
06-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Stark Expo would really make a lot of sense for Epcot, wouldn't it??? In Innoventions..... But that pesky Universal contract....

Yeah, still, something like that is what I'm saying.. Not just another Frozen like barrage where they use a hot movie 100 different ways. The DL stark expo was super cool, and what Hong kong is getting looks cool.

Basically, I'd like to see the variety you see at the Asian parks.